The dreaded "September swoon"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

The dreaded "September swoon"

Yes, us lifelong Sox fans remember that term very well. Welcome to version 2013. It was a fun first half of the season, but the truth is that when you shop at Wal-Mart, you get a Wal-Mart team.  This team is what it is and the recent record shows that. Teams like the Yankees make some moves to try and improve. The Sox on the other hand seem content with sticking with scrubs and trying to make the best of it.

I have no problem with playing young guys if they are ready, but BC and the ^$%^$@#&*%&% owners pretty much tanked this season.

But hey, at least they have a great clubhouse right?

9:00 tee time on September 30, 2013

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: The dreaded

Well the September swoon is starting in the middle of August. This team overachieved this year badly. Luchinno was just as surprised as anyone else was. The exception was that he should have added a bat instead of standing still and admiring an over achieving team. Soriano would have helped, hey anyone would have helped, maybe even Rios, but someone , anyone. Larry was Larry being cheap again with "Money Bags" Henry's Money. After all he just bought the Paper he wanted.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What's not to like about first place?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

First place is great Hill; its playing at sub .500 ball for 25 games that stinks. At this pace we won't be in first place for long. If your point is to enjoy it, sure, its fun! But the fact is that the team doesn't look much like a playoff team at all, let alone a first place team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

Well the September swoon is starting in the middle of August. This team overachieved this year badly. Luchinno was just as surprised as anyone else was. The exception was that he should have added a bat instead of standing still and admiring an over achieving team. Soriano would have helped, hey anyone would have helped, maybe even Rios, but someone , anyone. Larry was Larry being cheap again with "Money Bags" Henry's Money. After all he just bought the Paper he wanted.

Good point by you. How did the Sox do after he went into NASCAR and the kickball team? Spreading the money thin while jacking up prices. But people still buy tickets don`t they.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

First place is great Hill; its playing at sub .500 ball for 25 games that stinks. At this pace we won't be in first place for long. If your point is to enjoy it, sure, its fun! But the fact is that the team doesn't look much like a playoff team at all, let alone a first place team.

The fun ride is over and reality sets in. Like I said in my OP. Not be be a drag,but the truth is in the numbers and what we have to work with. A Pinto might get better MPG, but a Mustang will always win the race.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

The Red Sox were below .500 for the 25 games from May 3 to May 28 and still bounced back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

They look pretty bad of late.  Silent bats and all those stupid errors, too bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from den666. Show den666's posts

The Sox are making every team that plays them look like champions. And they're making every two-bit  s_ck_ss pitcher they face look like Cy Young.

So it's midnight and Cinderella's Lamborghini has turned into a pumpkin. The ride was nice while it lasted.

On the bright side, I'm glad we didn't trade Owens/Bogaerts/Cecchini/Bradley. Next year should be fun.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

The Red Sox were below .500 for the 25 games from May 3 to May 28 and still bounced back.

[/QUOTE]

No chance with the trip to SF and LA.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No chance with the trip to SF and LA.

[/QUOTE]

That's the spirit!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So what djbosox is saying is that we should pay attention to the recent 8 game sample size and ignore the 116 game outlier sample...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Sox are 13-12 in their last 25 games.    If the Sox were 15-10 in that stretch ( 2 games better ), they would have been playing .600 baseball, which is the best anyone should expect..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonIrishGuy. Show BostonIrishGuy's posts

I knew this team was too good to be true, I just knew it. Sure enough, here comes the usual late season choke job by the Sox. Meh, I'm used to it so no biggie. im ready for some Pats football 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to djbosox2004's comment:

Yes, us lifelong Sox fans remember that term very well. Welcome to version 2013. It was a fun first half of the season, but the truth is that when you shop at Wal-Mart, you get a Wal-Mart team.  This team is what it is and the recent record shows that. Teams like the Yankees make some moves to try and improve. The Sox on the other hand seem content with sticking with scrubs and trying to make the best of it.

I have no problem with playing young guys if they are ready, but BC and the ^$%^$@#&*%&% owners pretty much tanked this season.

This is all becoming really funny . When i said longggggggggg ago that Sox offense was bad , The  ( Stats ) guy.... ya! you know who you are would pull out  well look at this and look at that bull crap....I repeat for the ( i don't know how many times now)  The sox offense is horrible. I see the need for at least a couple of guys who can swing a bat. Saying we have tons of talent in minors and letting then rot there. What worse can they do then . Sox right now have a four man offense. Those are the ones we can count on or should i say the ones that have to come through day in and day out to have any chance....... Stats guy , Are you out there!!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's got meltdown written all over it.  One game lead will melt soon.

But realistically, they weren't supposed to be anywhere close to this when the season started.  A lot of media were picking them to finish 4th or 5th; only a few had them in 3rd.  They've overacheieved the whole season.  Considering what they have on the bench right now, it's amazing to see them play with such heart all season long.  Doubt it can continue.

The most telling stat, though, is that they've had to come from behind in nearly half of their wins this season...not good. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

So called sample sizes mean nothing. Each game is a small sample size of the season. Yet each game is a separate entity. Each game counts the same. The Sox are playing some god awful baseball. A dismal road trip. Back home, sellout crowd , arch rival, pennant race. What happened?  They played horribly. No clutch hitting. Brutal pitching. Errors . Unbelievably bad base running. They should truly be embarrassed. This time of year, the winners step it up. The losers go into a tailspin. Which will it be for the Sox?  You can study all the stats and metrics and sample sizes till the cows come home. This is baseball , not math. You still have to go out and play good , solid , pennant race baseball.  The time is now. Call it a swoon. Call it whatever you want. If the Sox don't snap out of this slump soon, and play winning baseball, all that will be left will be the usual litany of excuses. All the usual post mortems. Then we go back to dreaming about how things will be different with all of our wonderful  " can't miss " prospects.  On and on and on. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

In response to notin's comment:

So what djbosox is saying is that we should pay attention to the recent 8 game sample size and ignore the 116 game outlier sample...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

No, what i`m saying is that in the first half or so of the season, most of the breaks and what could go right did go right for the Sox. The problem is that things have a way of evening themselves out. No moves to improve and a pathetic brand of baseball in recent games is really just bringing out what this team really is. A clubhouse of "fun" guys that are an average team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

The team's recent play has been a bit disheartening.  They played a very sloppy game last night.  However, even with the recent funk that they are in, this team has remained remarkably consistent througout the seaon and they are still in first place.  Call me crazy, but I would rather be in the position we are in than be in the position of the Rays, Os, As, etc.

No one said it was going to be easy. The competition is tough among the contenders. Even teams like the Astros get fired up by the appeal of playing spoilers, and their "nothing to lose" style of play makes for tough competition as well.

Sure, the Sox could have a September swoon and fall out of the playoffs.  They could also go on a tear and win 18 games of their next 20.  Based on what I've seen so far this season, I think it's much more likely that the Sox will continue playing fairly consistent ball at about .580.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

The team's recent play has been a bit disheartening.  They played a very sloppy game last night.  However, even with the recent funk that they are in, this team has remained remarkably consistent througout the seaon and they are still in first place.  Call me crazy, but I would rather be in the position we are in than be in the position of the Rays, Os, As, etc.

No one said it was going to be easy. The competition is tough among the contenders. Even teams like the Astros get fired up by the appeal of playing spoilers, and their "nothing to lose" style of play makes for tough competition as well.

Sure, the Sox could have a September swoon and fall out of the playoffs.  They could also go on a tear and win 18 games of their next 20.  Based on what I've seen so far this season, I think it's much more likely that the Sox will continue playing fairly consistent ball at about .580.

So are the sox built ...just good enough to get there??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to djbosox2004's comment:

Maybe Sox should get a SS who can hit both lefties and righties.This has been a big problem for how many years now? Every year it seems we always find a fill in at SS. How many teams have a rent a SS.....?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

There was not a bat availible, and they added the best player availible.