The Drew Quandry for 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Drew Quandry for 2014

Some points:

1. He's your starter, but late in games against a lefty, he needs to be pinch hit for. Is that a guy you want to give a $13-14M qualifying offer for?
     - .183 Average, 40% K ratio

2. At or below career averages for AVG, OBA, OPS. Is that a guy you want to give a $13-14M qualifying offer for?

3. Producing more from the standpoint of HR and RBI's. Is that a guy you want to give a $13-14M qualifying offer for?

4. Has more K's on the season than any other season in his career.

5. Fielding like a gold glove.

Tough decision. The problem is if they offer him a QO, he takes it in a heartbeat. The best offer he gets on open market would probably be in the $12-14M for 2 range.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: The Drew Quandry for 2014

In response to ADG's comment:

Some points:

1. He's your starter, but late in games against a lefty, he needs to be pinch hit for. Is that a guy you want to give a $13-14M qualifying offer for?

2. At or below career averages for AVG, OBA, OPS. Is that a guy you want to give a $13-14M qualifying offer for?

3. Producing more from the standpoint of HR and RBI's. Is that a guy you want to give a $13-14M qualifying offer for?

Tough decision. The problem is if they offer him a QO, he takes it in a heartbeat. The best offer he gets on open market would probably be in the $12-14M for 2 range.

In only 116 games this season his fWAR is 2.5 which translates to 12.7 million dollars. Over 162 games that's roughly 18 million.  Do you really think he'll only get 6-7m/year for 2 years?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Some points:

Why is everyone so mad at him due he failed to win the game last nite?  If you think Drew should be PH often cuz he strike out too much, then we should say the samething to Napoli!!

Come on, this team is soon going to win the EAst title and possibility get the homefield advantage thru-out the post season, and most regulars deserve not to be PH!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

ADG isn't happy, unless he's not.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Quandry ain't the right word.  The have four key free agents--Ellsbury, Drew, Napoli, and Salty.  I think the two most likely to be re-signed are Drew and Salty because Ellsbury will be too expensive and Napoli has the hip issue.  Drew is I think a good combo of reliable fielding and decent hitting.  Of course, the FO may have already decided they want to play Bogaerts at SS next year, which would not be a bad decision.  On the other hand, Drew's WAR rating is higher than the Tigers shortstop's, Iglesias.  He is a good choice for keeping. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

No quandry here, nothing to see, move on !!!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Well, we have gone from "DFA Drew" to "Would you really give him a qualifying offer?" in a few months, so I suppose that is progress. Wink

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

[QUOTE]

Well, we have gone from "DFA Drew" to "Would you really give him a qualifying offer?" in a few months, so I suppose that is progress. Wink

[/QUOTE]

Good point!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think it's simple.  He was a a stop gap this year (well, what's new - every SS since 2004 has been a stop gap but that's another story).......We let him walk.  We save $ and deal w/ the fact we lose a draft pick (assuming Drew def. qualify for a Pick?)......He did a great job this year - I really like his style and his defense but we have Boggy and we can sign someone like an Alex Cora to back him up (on the cheap).......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Drew is a good candidate to receive a Q.O.

How many SS are on the market this year?

How many SS on the market are a better option than Drew?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

OK maybe he is.  I believe you can find their comp rating (A, B, none - they may have changed the rating system last season?) on line now.......It's hard to think of a .230 hitter with relatively no power or speed getting you a draft pick - maybe Alex Gonzalez??  Who knows, maybe the rankings will like his "OPS" relative to other SS's........we have bigger needs next year and that's why we have Boggy......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

IMO, guys like Drew and Napoli are certainly deserving of a QO, but the issue is whether we'd be prepared for the possibility that they may very well accept...look at the problems some FA's had getting a new contract last offseason due to their being tied to losing a draft pick. Guys like these who aren't stars but very solid players who would otherwise be looking for a nice multi-year deal may think twice about rejecting a QO going forward.

Now, all things being equal I'd have no problems with bringing Drew and Napoli back on one-year deals, but the issue then becomes where does Bogaerts play. The team seems to like him as the SS going forward. If Drew doesn't get a qualifying offer this winter, that would be why.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

How does the QO work?  I know it's for a draft pick but then that has to assume that every player is graded to receive a pick.  But aren't some players still graded without being worthy of a pick?  And if so, then I would think the QO is moot....I know they changed all the rules last year and I obvisously did not keep up...........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

How does the QO work?  I know it's for a draft pick but then that has to assume that every player is graded to receive a pick.  But aren't some players still graded without being worthy of a pick?  And if so, then I would think the QO is moot....I know they changed all the rules last year and I obvisously did not keep up...........

Here is a good explanation:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/explaining-qualifying-offers.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

next year's SS all depends on next year's 1b

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

No, next years SS is pretty much set in stone.  In the absence of injury Xander Bogaerts is your 2014 starting SS.  There really isn't much debate there. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Next years 1B is up in the air, but Boagerts is your SS.

I believe the Sox will offer Napoli a Q.O. 

He might accept a Q.O. and I think the Sox would be happy to pay him 14 million for one year and punt the 1B position for the future until 2015. 

Some think the Sox may be interested in Abreau.  I still think the Sox bring Napoli back if they sign Abreau, if for nothing else to at least stash him in patucket for half a year and let him adjust to advanced breaking pitches. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

No, next years SS is pretty much set in stone.  In the absence of injury Xander Bogaerts is your 2014 starting SS.  There really isn't much debate there. 

[/QUOTE]

in the absence of working out a deal with naps or any other potential free agent 1bman....
    no chance that middy moves to 1b, XB to 3b, and re-sign drew?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

in the absence of working out a deal with naps or any other potential free agent 1bman....
    no chance that middy moves to 1b, XB to 3b, and re-sign drew?

1 in a million.

So yes....I'm saying there's a chance.

The only people advocating that are fans who want to get as many young home grown players on the team and are deriving their own plans.  There is nothing that suggests that is even a remote possibility.  Perhaps 3-4 years down the road, but next year there is a strong belief that the Sox are going to roll the dice with Bogaerts at SS, WMB at 3B and some combination of Napoi/FA/Abreau/Carp/Nava/Lava at first base. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

He might accept a Q.O. and I think the Sox would be happy to pay him 14 million for one year and punt the 1B position for the future until 2015. 

Some think the Sox may be interested in Abreau.  I still think the Sox bring Napoli back if they sign Abreau, if for nothing else to at least stash him in patucket for half a year and let him adjust to advanced breaking pitches. 

If Napoli come back, no chance for them to sign Abreau.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's 100% false.  Abreau has not seen 1 MLB pitch let alone upper minor league pitching.  The Sox could very easily offer Napoli a qualifying offer and stash Abreau in the minors for a month to half a season and let him adjust to professional pitching...and then when Abreau is ready Napoli can be a C/DH/1B bench guy or he can be traded. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Drew is an average to slightly above average ballplayer. That is all he is.

Stabbed by Foulke.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's 100% false.  Abreau has not seen 1 MLB pitch let alone upper minor league pitching.  The Sox could very easily offer Napoli a qualifying offer and stash Abreau in the minors for a month to half a season and let him adjust to professional pitching...and then when Abreau is ready Napoli can be a C/DH/1B bench guy or he can be traded. 

[/QUOTE]

Remember, Ben C rather to resign Ellsbury, Salty, Drew and Napoli.  Where will Ben find left over money to sign Abreu especially if Ben resigns Napoli.  Abreau is not going to take a discount contract to play for Boston.  He will find his best offer and take it to play right away for that major league team!!

That is why if Napoli come back, Ben next move is to resign the remaining three guys!!