The Drew Quandry for 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: The Drew Quandry for 2014

Bogearts needs to play . And NOT 3b IMO...they will not sign Drew for 3 yrs ! Or qualify him to move bogey to 3b, AND....move a potentially all star 3b to first. THINK ABOUT THAT for one second and you will see how crazy that is.

I have thought about it. It is not crazy.

Bogey is not a plus fielding SS, but probably would be a plus fielding 3Bman in a shorter time than he will be a plus SS 9if ever).

Middlebrooks is not a great fielding 3Bman. He might end up being one of the best fielding 1Bman in the league.

I'm not a huge Drew fan. I'd have prefered Iggy ss, Bogey 3B and Middy 1B for the next half decade, but that isn't happening.

I'd prefer Napoli to Drew, but the idea of Drew at SS for 1-2 years, until Marrero is ready is not crazy. 

The red sox are not just thinking about 2014, but 3 , 4 , 5 yrs down the road. They have a chance to have something REALLY SPECIAL on the left side with those two kids. They are both very young and need to plat thier respectiveositions and grow into them. I for one hope they do not even consider doing what you suggested. And that is no knock on Drew at all. He's done a fine job for us this yr...and got what he wanted out of the one yr deal he signed with us, and we got our 9.5m worth

I doubt Drew comes back. If Naps comes back or another 1Bman , there's 100% certainty Drew walks.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Middy is not going to first, at least any time soon. 

I don't thi9nk so either. My point has been, he "could"...

I think Middy would rather go to another team first than move to first.  Middy is big league tested where Boggie is not.  Middy is your third baseman for the duration of the season and at least the beginning of next year.

For argument's sake, let's say we bring Drew back and move Bogey and Middy. If Bogey or Middy struggle or get hurt  or Drew gets hurt, Carp or Nava plays 1B and the other slide back to their original positions. It's not the best ides, but it is not crazy either.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, worry about the infielders for the next season is depend how Boston do in the post season. 

If they win it all, they could just let Drew walks, and let Bogaerts to be the starting SS.  And then resign Napoli.  Napoli will be the future DH of the team.  Ben C should be smart on how to build the team for the next five years!!   If Napoli ever get hurt, Carp or Nava can back him up until he return.  Not hard to do for next year team.  Papi could retire any time which mean that they need a good future DH hitter.  Napoli fits perfectly for that role.  I know it is a pain in the butt  to have both Napoli and Papi on the roster again for the next season.  Still  it work out perfectly for both of them this year.

Again like I said, it is depend how the team do.  If they choke early in the post season, I am sure that John Henry would tell Ben, resign as many players to return to team and make another run for next season.  Henry isnt going to let next year team to be a rebuilding team.

That is why I do hope that they do win it all so it make things easier for the next season team!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Next years 1B is up in the air, but Boagerts is your SS.

I believe the Sox will offer Napoli a Q.O. 

He might accept a Q.O. and I think the Sox would be happy to pay him 14 million for one year and punt the 1B position for the future until 2015. 

Some think the Sox may be interested in Abreau.  I still think the Sox bring Napoli back if they sign Abreau, if for nothing else to at least stash him in patucket for half a year and let him adjust to advanced breaking pitches. 

Respectfully, it's Jose Dariel Abreu.  And he is a free agent that I have some enthusiasm for as a potential acquisiton 1B candidate for the 2014 Sox.  Frankly, I'm not in favor of a 'bridge year' 1B candidate stashed in Pawtucket for another year and Napoli returning.  If Abreu is not seen as a legitimate MLB-ready first baseman, than I'd much prefer to see Nava at 1b with the acquisiton of a legitimate power hitter in LF to replace Napoli (and his SO's) in the lineup. However, as to Abreu, I am not without reservations as suggested in this article:

www.overthemonster.com/2013/9/18/4744656/cuban-free-agent-jose-dariel-abreu-red-sox

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Next years 1B is up in the air, but Boagerts is your SS.

I believe the Sox will offer Napoli a Q.O. 

He might accept a Q.O. and I think the Sox would be happy to pay him 14 million for one year and punt the 1B position for the future until 2015. 

Some think the Sox may be interested in Abreau.  I still think the Sox bring Napoli back if they sign Abreau, if for nothing else to at least stash him in patucket for half a year and let him adjust to advanced breaking pitches. 

Respectfully, it's Jose Dariel Abreu.  And he is a free agent that I have some enthusiasm for as a potential acquisiton 1B candidate for the 2014 Sox.  Frankly, I'm not in favor of a 'bridge year' 1B candidate stashed in Pawtucket for another year and Napoli returning.  If Abreu is not seen as a legitimate MLB-ready first baseman, than I'd much prefer to see Nava at 1b with the acquisiton of a legitimate power hitter in LF to replace Napoli (and his SO's) in the lineup. However, as to Abreu, I am not without reservations as suggested in this article:

www.overthemonster.com/2013/9/18/4744656/cuban-free-agent-jose-dariel-abreu-red-sox

I'm sorry ABREU! I don't want to mispell the mans name.  Yes I have my reservations about him as well.  I've heard good, and I've heard bad and there is very little scouting or video to go around on the guy so who knows who is correct.  I'm sure the Sox will do their due dilligence.  From what I've heard he's a legit power threat guy with average bat speed.  He will put up decent numbers but may struggle against good pitchers.  Yes most hitters have some drop off against good pitching but if those convictions are true then he seems more like a #6 hitter and not a real middle of the order bat. Now there is nothing wrong with that and if he is just that he may be a bargain at under 10 million per year.

But if he doesn't work out I'm not comfortable with Nava at 1st.  The offensive bar is much higher there and I don't know if he has the pop for it.  I like his AVG and OBP and I like him as a back up but not a full time 1B type.  Nava is best suited for LF, especially with Gomes there to platoon with him.  Although in a year or two I would like to see a big bat corner outfield type who can slow in with Bogaerts in the middle of the order and take pressure of JBJ's bat in center. 

I think the ideal of "bridge year" player is often mis understood.  You wouldn't go out and sign a multi year deal for a SS knowing you have one of the games top prospects at the position (e.g. 2013 Drew/Bogaerts).  Bridge year or Bridge players don't mean the team is not going to compete.  Mike Napoli is a fine first baseman for a year, although I do like Morales. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Abreu is not seen as a legitimate MLB-ready first baseman, than I'd much prefer to see Nava at 1b with the acquisiton of a legitimate power hitter in LF to replace Napoli (and his SO's) in the lineup.

We also have Carp, but Carp and Nava both hit just righties real well.

Sox4ever

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Middy in reserve is not going to happen either.  If there was a chance of middy being in reserve, boggie would be playing more now. Third base belongs to Middy and if drew wants too much then the sox will go with boggie at short. I think the offers for drew will open up and most likely he will go back to an area that he likes better than Boston.

I get that.

I'm not so sure Ben is 100% sold on Middy as out longtime 3Bman or 1Bman. Afterall, he demoted him this year.

The big decision for the Sox is to offer or not offer QOs to napoli or Drew. I doubt both, unless they plan on trading Middy or Bogey (Stanton?).

Sox4ever

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BigPapiforever's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

Middy in reserve is not going to happen either.  If there was a chance of middy being in reserve, boggie would be playing more now. Third base belongs to Middy and if drew wants too much then the sox will go with boggie at short. I think the offers for drew will open up and most likely he will go back to an area that he likes better than Boston.

I get that.

I'm not so sure Ben is 100% sold on Middy as out longtime 3Bman or 1Bman. Afterall, he demoted him this year.

The big decision for the Sox is to offer or not offer QOs to napoli or Drew. I doubt both, unless they plan on trading Middy or Bogey (Stanton?).

Sox4ever

It is going to be an interesting off season.

[/QUOTE]

The Ellsbury decision is, of course, the number one issue (and how to replace him if he bolts). Since Shane can play CF and JBJ is in the wings, we could siggn a RF'er to boost the OF.

Salty is the next most important decision. I seriosly doubt we enter 2014 with Ross/Lava/Vazquez/Butler as our only ML catching options.

Since Bogey can play SS/3B, Middy 3B/1B, and Carp or Nava 1B, there are a lot of options to re-signing Drew and/or Napoli or neither.

Interesting off-season indeed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty is the #1 Red Sox veteran with no contract for 2014 issue. 

You mean our "back up profile catcher"?

Cue: revisionist history lesoon #4,914.

Sox4ever

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts