1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Re: The Dumbest Management in Baseball

In my mind Drew is the same as Aviles with a higher price tag.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How's that kool-aid tasting Jim?

[/QUOTE]

Probably better than your whine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to chuchos' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly....what makes his value more?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

carnie...are you for this signing?

[/QUOTE]

Yes. Especially for one year. He'll be playing for a contract in a hitter's park. I think it could work out well. Do you think signing Greinke for 6 years and Sanchez for 5 were good moves?

[/QUOTE]

I've been advocating for this move since October.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Drew made about $8 million last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Drew made about $8 million last year.

[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

About 100 points in OPS, and better fielder.  Same reason why Towers paid him $8M, and same reason why Beane traded for him.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On top of everyone else, Stephen Drew for $9.5M? Are you kidding me?

I thought the Victorino and Dempster deals were bad, but this tops the cake.

[/QUOTE]

Nice use of stats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ben is a certifiable loon....he needs to have the car keys taken away from him.....what a disaster.....just think they could have had sanchez for what they paid drew and gomes.....

[/QUOTE]

Nice use of stats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the reason Sox didn't want Hamilton was because Ben was affraid that Josh would find The booze thats in Bens office. I mean you can't be sober to make moves like he has..... 

[/QUOTE]

Nice use of stats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Truly amazing complain about long term high salaries yet use that as a reason to say they could have had Sanchez.

Drew at 9 mil is better than BJ Upton at 15 for 5 yrs 75 mil

What is wrong with Iggy, Ciracio, Pedroia, Middlebrooks and Drew manning 2nd. short and 3rd? At 30 Pedroia is the oldest. 

Right now the RS have a competitive team and still have every draft pick and minor leaguer. They have 4 SP that has and still can win 15 games each.

The RP is stronger and if they can be better than 30 losses last year inluding in that the 20+ BS it should be a good year.

Then next year some of the kids just maybe have proved them selves in AA and AAA. 

[/QUOTE]

How's that kool-aid tasting Jim?

[/QUOTE]

Nice use of stats.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If some of us have an opinion that this is a smart deal, were drinking the kool'aid. but if others give their OPINIONs and dont like the deal, thats ok and their smarter than everyone else? sounds a bit self righteous to me.

They are opinions, not facts. To make an opinion and call others names because theirs doesnt coincide with yours, is laughable.

Yes, I like this signing for many reasons. Gives them another year to get a clearer picture of the future SS candidates, possibly nets them another comp. pick next year, and gives them better offense at the position.

Drew has had an OPS north of 800 3 times. He suffered a serious ankle injury and has missed some games the last 2 years. Towards the end of 2012 season, Drew was starting to look like he has in the past, which is a good all around solid SS. Its a one year deal that buys them time to evaluate the future.

Ive never seen so many so called "fans" complain about each and every move this team makes and talk as if they know more about being a GM.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ive never seen so many so called "fans" complain about each and every move this team makes and talk as if they know more about being a GM.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, some of this stuff is just funny.  It seems like the biggest complaint is that we're getting a lot of so-called mediocre players.  But if we had signed Hamilton and Greinke there would be people screaming about how could we throw away 272 million on 2 players after we just unloaded that much on the Dodgers?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

See, here is the deal.

Apparently, the plan is to not committo long term free agents, which is fine.  However, someone, possibly Ben, possibly Larry or possibly even Henry, seems to have drawn a line that no deals  over 3 years long for free agents.   I mean, mlbtr reported they would not go over 3 years for Hamilton, which seems a little crazy to me.   no fourth year for Hailton!?!?  Really?!?

The real issue here is that does appear to be the plan.  Whether or not it is a good lan is another matter.  It really is not a good plan,  Limiting free agent spending = smart.  Setting limit at 3 years for free agents = a very good guideline.  Sticking to a 3 year limit as if it is the law and it is also applicable for superstar free agents = waste of time for everyone involved.

Anyway, once this plan came down from whoever, it really took Sanchez, Greinke and Hamilton out of the picture.  No way any of them settled for 3 years.

There is an upside to this plan.  They apparently decided not to give up any prospects or draft picks, or at least as few as possible, and so far that is working out.   Also, they have taken in a steady supply of supplementary players, the kind you build around the star talent with.  Guys like Dempster, Victorino, Drew and Napoli are not bad players.  They are just not elite players.  I have seen posts on this board from fasn saying the Sox should go after each and every one of them at some point (except Dempster.  I do not recall him on any wish list, but he might have been).

However, they really have not added that headline-grabbing talent they need.  Clearly it will not be happening via freee agency, which is fine.   That leaves two possibilites.  1) trade.  The Sox have been terribly silent in trading this off-season, which they really should not be.   Toronto has added a crateful of talent and not signed a single free agent (although they stripped the farm pretty bare).  I know Boston tried to get both Johnson, Dickey and even Cliff Lee.  Good to try, but they need to get someone.  Hopefully they are still looking.

The other possiblity is that they believe their core players of Ellsbury, Pedroia, Ortiz and Middlebrooks, and they pitching anchors Lester and Buchholz will be a good enough nuclues to help them contend.  This will require a lot of health.  Also, they possibly have a lot of faith in de La Roda and Webster (I am a little light on my faith in Webster), and they might b counting on that, too.

Signing Drew is really not the issue here.  They weren't going to get a worthwhile starter for $9.5mill, and while one can add up salaries and say "we could have had XXXXX."  Well, you are wrong, we could not have.  Because XXXXX wanted more than 3 years. 

And in the case of Sanchez, apparently he wanted to stay in Detroit...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Firefligh2008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is not a conundrum that Red Sox fans are inconsistent, illogical, or misinformed. The answer is much simpler. You are debating pretenders or trolls or whatever you wish to call them.

[/QUOTE]

Pretenders is a nice way to put it.  Not so much pretending to be RS fans, but pretenders as in thinking they are offering an opinion, when it isn't.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I actually liked Aviles better than Drew, but Ben knows what he is doing. Not !!!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Our management is not as dumb as the marlins management.

Let's be fair

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

ADG save some of your tears for the regular season when they actually play some games. Ali better up his belly aching game, right now ADG is mopping the floor with him in terms of burying this team in the offseason. 

This kind of argument is heard a lot these days: 

"ben is a certifiable loon....he needs to have the car keys taken away from him.....what a disaster.....just think they could have had sanchez for what they paid drew and gomes.....

[/QUOTE]

Not quite.  Gomes and Drew = 19.5 million.  Sanchez = 80 million.  Don't forget the 'number of years' thing.  It matters sometimes. :-)

[/QUOTE]
     i was referring to yearly spending...u know that"

First off you can't compare a six year contract with a three. And if the Sox had bid on Sanchez they would have had to pay a premium to get Sanchez to join our losing franchise. 

Sox management is playing a dangerous game but it's clear that they do have a plan and are executing on it: overspend (a bit) on short term contracts (3 years or less), fielding a decent (but not great) team while the kids mature. The danger is: if they are wrong about the kids' talent this will be a bridge to nowhere. 

But to pretend they don't have a plan is silly. You may not like their plan but they do have one. The signings all make sense in the context of the plan. 

It's amazing how so many of us were bummed the Sox caved to fan pressure and signed mega-contracts with questionable stars. Then they get out from under those contracts and decide not to spend more money on questionable stars (in a bad free agent year) and peeps are upset. 

for my part if they can't further improve the pitching the offseason is wasted, and I think it would be a huge mistake not to move Ellsbury, but I'm ok with waiting till the offseason is over before handing out grades on that. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It is not a conundrum that Red Sox fans are inconsistent, illogical, or misinformed. The answer is much simpler. You are debating pretenders or trolls or whatever you wish to call them.

[/QUOTE]

Pretenders is a nice way to put it.  Not so much pretending to be RS fans, but pretenders as in thinking they are offering an opinion, when it isn't.

[/QUOTE]

Very true, Softlaw doesn't really believe what he is saying. This should be obvious.

[/QUOTE]

Shut up pike.