The Final Countdown: Game thread Wed. night, Lester vs Simon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from purple2. Show purple2's posts

Re: The Final Countdown: Game thread Wed. night, Lester vs Simon

Hilarious, this was a team of underachieving dogs who had no fire or desire and like most baseball players are not physically or mentally tough enough.  Doesn't bother me in the least they didn't make the playoffs which would have been a short run in any event and don't need the late nights of faux drama.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MakeLoveNotWar. Show MakeLoveNotWar's posts

What a bunch of Chokers--worse than the 2010 Bruins and 2004 Yankees.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AndrewAndrew. Show AndrewAndrew's posts

Early on in the season, when the Sox could not beat Philly ... I knew it was over!
    Yup, over and done with for sure now .... Too bad it had to end this way ... Pap is no doubt going to be the fall guy ... folks are demanding Tito's ouster ... Theo will be chastised for much of it ... some will hold on to some theory it's a "curse" ... others will scream at the amount of money spent for talent that failed to satisfy ... and then, of course, Yankee fans will be thrilled ... talk radio frequencies will be full of sport fans hurling all sorts of  anectotes, ideas, theories, gripes, and mostly anger that usually ends with frustration and disapointment for most ... others it will be another reason to belly up for a round of Bud to wash down the antidepressant meds, and more tears will fall  ... most wll say, "there is always next year" ... I love this sport .... see you all next year!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DKB50. Show DKB50's posts

Congratulations to the Rays. The better team (now, not two months ago) won and the way their last games went exemplifies the difference. Things happen during a season and things didn't favor the Red Sox this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoubleJ27. Show DoubleJ27's posts

Offseason to-do list: Trade Lackey for a case of gum at this point - get anything we can get for him.  Trade Drew for pitching and let Reddick take over RF.  The Dice-K experiment is over; batters have figured him out. Teach Salty how to catch/block/knock down a knuckleball.  Train pitchers not to miss the catchers target by a foot and a half.  And, Draw up a scouting report on how to hit Rays pitching instead of flailing unprepared at predictable pitches in predictable pitch-counts; its not that hard, ask every other team in the AL.

The batting lineup will come around.  There's too much talent there not to produce again in 2012.  Even Crawford.  I agree he couldve and shouldve had better stats, but then what's Youk's excuse?  Youk hit only .258 and was on pace for more than 120 K's in another injury-prone season (Crawford was .255 with 104 K's).  Ive got more contempt for Youk's performance this yr because he's a Sox veteran and leader who shouldve produced way more than that.

But there's still one stat that NOBODY has addressed: the Sox went 12-6 vs the Yanks and still finished 7 GB.  Which means even if the Sox swept all 18 games vs NY, we still wouldnt have won the East (pathetic!), which exhibits just how awful the Sox played against the rest of the AL. 

Here we go again. Wait til next year....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Question for Tito, Theo and Henry -

How's it feel to have a taunting little punk like Buck Showalter end your season? Worst yet, end it in the most humiliating and painful way possible?

All he did was poke fun at your roster, your GM, your free agent signings, your payroll, etc... all season long?

And the have his sorry collection of AAAA players ended your season.

Expect a "tell me how my a** tastes?" video from Showalter any day now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxbo. Show soxbo's posts

Crawford botched that play on purpose.  He was angry at hitting 8th.  Look at that play on replay.  He could have caught it.  The throw is a half hearted lob.

He threw the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxbo. Show soxbo's posts

No One will ever be able to convince me that he didn't throw the game on purpose.  He bothched the catch on purpose.  He threw the ball like a little girl. He is the worst signing in major leaugue history.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxbo. Show soxbo's posts

Crawford needs to be investigated by the league for throwing a game on purpose.  he is worse than Pete Rose.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxbo. Show soxbo's posts

Sox fans that think this was a simple "slump" are blind.  They have players that cheated and threw games.  (not Aceves) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trevorm2000. Show trevorm2000's posts

Systemic failure - and what comes afterwards

The fact that we did nothing to shore up the broken pitching staff did it more than anything.  I love Wakefield, but sticking in your last resort guy as regular rotation, along with a largely anemic bullpen - what were they thinking?!  Under such conditions, Becket and Lester *MUST* win each and every time up in the rotation, and that is simply not realistic!  We leaned on Wakefield way too much, and did not fix the situation while leaning on him.  You don't run your car for 5K miles on the doughnut, and you don't run your pitching on a blown out pitching staff.  You gotta take a page from the Yankees here: year after year of constant team investment: George the Boss would never have stood back and let his bullpen just stagger through the season, not if he was serius about making and then surviving the playoffs.

On the Sox off season, I am not sure what I want to see happen.  The failure is so systemic, and the options available to deal with all of the issues are limited as hell.  How do you address the loss of Lester and Becket at the same time?  How do you ditch Lackey or Crawford with all the money we have wrapped up in them?  What about Pap - overall he had a pretty good season, and I am not sure we can find a better closer....  As for Tito and Theo.... beats me what to do there.

It's the total systemic thing that is so hard to look at.  Myself, I would say they need to look at the coaching staff, especially the pitching coach.    So much broke all at one, it's hard to look at one variable and say,"this is it."  So many things could be changed that the variables will be totally out of control.  My larger concern is that the team has no ability, no internal  self correcting mechanisms to help pull it of massive slumps.  All teams hit slumps, but for a crew of this "talent" - to have two huge almost epic crashes in one season is just nuts.  One of the huge lessons learned is that for such a team, playing really well, even for months at a time, is no guarantee that you have a viable team, if skids like what we saw this year are lurking at any time.  The terms "brittle, rigid, inflexible" come to mind about whatever is going on within the organization.  whatever this thing is, that is what they have to root out somehow before next year.  Resiliency, passion, flexibility, self correcting ability, one heck of a farm system, and the best pitching staff in the majors - you need it all to survive in the new AL East.

Trevor McCarthy
    Wesley Chapel (Tampa Bay) FL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfmba. Show mfmba's posts

In Response to Re: The Final Countdown: Game thread Wed. night, Lester vs Simon:
    The sox may have blown it but the fact still remains that in the past we would just blame the curse and it would be another year without a world series. Even before the first series win in 04 management paid out the second largest payroll in the MLB after the Yankees and that dynamic has not changed. While we as fans can sit there and quote stats and money and express anger towards the team, the fact remains that it is another year back in the rut we had prior to 04 with the only difference being that the supposed curse no longer exists as a scapegoat cause. Historic slide or not, I'm still a fan of the team, still a fan of the sport, and, while dissappointed in how the season ended for the sox, will still support the franchise moving forward because it is in the spirit of the pastime.
    Posted by luckyzach

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfmba. Show mfmba's posts

Whoever you are, of all the comments anyone has made (and there have been plenty),you said it best!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanWaltham. Show DanWaltham's posts

Angry? No. Seriously in the end it really is just a game.

Disappointed? Sure. High expectations were set and never delivered.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whose_calling. Show whose_calling's posts

Choke* Choke* Choke* Choke* Choke* Choke* Choke* Choke*

* Unless Videotaped
    (might want to ask the cheater BB for some help with this)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: The Final Countdown: Game thread Wed. night, Lester vs Simon:
    Karma can be a b****.  This is payback for the two fake roid-assisted "championships" in 2004 and 2007. meow!!!
    Posted by HarvardTimmy

Mop the floors at Currier Dining Hall, do you?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

Not terribly shocked by this all.  We lost Dice-K, we lost Buck and were relying on the old, the bad and the young to fill out our staff!  I guess the Yankees learned nothing from the Bears last year about letting the hot team make the playoffs, GB?  Routing for Detroit and Texas at this point.  And if any city needs something good to happen right now it is Detroit!  Go Tigers!
    Posted by bmaz911

hater.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mworch. Show mworch's posts

Expected....listening to all the people (and some of the sportswriters and announcers.....Gee we're glad we are playing the Orioles....
    next time be careful what you wish for. !

Guess Schowalter got the last laugh.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from politicalhack. Show politicalhack's posts

At least Drew is off the books for $14 mill a year and 63 rbi past 5 years.  Now we can enjoy a declining Crawford and Lackey.   Epstein is a lawyer, not a baseball man.  Get him out of that role.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gberkel. Show gberkel's posts

As a Yankee fan, all I can say is:  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Ok, just kidding.  I'd rather have the Sox in the post-season.  More fun that way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Haven't been around because I moved back in, but had a fun season y'all, have a nice offseason.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxbo. Show soxbo's posts

it was not a choke.  Crawford threw that game away on purpose.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxbo. Show soxbo's posts

Adrian Gonzales can not be a Red Sox.  You can't pull that "God" cr@p in this town.  //  Take some responsibility!  You are getting paid an obscene salary.  Own up to it!  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsS. Show MrsS's posts

The only thing that surprises me is that Johnny Damon didn't hit the game winning HR for the Rays. As soon as the Rays came back to tie it I knew it was all coming together for one cosmic/karmic joke.

They lost this in April, and in September. And some in between, and some before the season even started.

They never would have made it past the ALDS. They would have been crushed and embarrassed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3979711. Show user_3979711's posts

That the Red Sox collapsed in a historic manner certainly goes without saying. Anyone who was surprised by last night hasn't been watching over the last 28 days. I was struck by one thing in particular last night though. I read Dan Shaughnessy's article this morning waiting for his huge mea culpa that he screwed up on NESN last night and it wasn't there. This morning he called for the release or non-signing of multiple players, the manager, and the general manager as well as "Miss Heidi".
    This struck me as quite hypocritical given the exchange between the two of them during the rain delay last night. They were both following the Yanks/Rays game while providing analysis of the Red Sox/ O's to that point. This was during the 8th inning comeback by the Rays. Heidi was experssing fear that the Rays would come back and Dan was saying multiple times "Trust me, they aren't going to win". He seemed to be taking pleasure in putting Heidi in her place and showing that he knew more than she did. I wonder if the Globe shouldn't be handing out pink slips as well for huge blunders...

Sections
Shortcuts