The Friday night lesson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The Friday night lesson

Picking up on S5's thread, my read on Friday night is that in the eyes of umpires control of the game is far more important than what happens on the field of play.  The Rays hit three Sox players, one of whom, Ortiz, was clearly hit intentionally, and suffered no censure or penalty for doing so.  The Sox, justifiably incensed, had four different managers/acting managers thrown out of the game for objecting to this treatment.  The Sox pitchers hit no Rays batters.  

Joe Maddon has stated that the umpires did a terrific job Friday maintaining control.  Of course he would say that.  Price got away with murder and incurred no penalty--he now knows he can hit batters with impunity, and Maddon now knows the same thing.  

On another thread I have pointed out that the chief of advantage of introducing replays this year is not so much getting the calls right but improving umpires control of the managers.  Nowadays a typical manager would trot out, talk quietly, and wait for a signal from his bench on what his team's replay guys think actually happened.  If the bench signals he can successfully challenge, he does, quietly.  Same for if they signal no.  MLB is becoming ever more a kindler, gentler sport.  And Joe Maddon, the master manipulator, is loving it even though his team now has the worst record in the AL.  The Rays just promoted the woebegone Astros to the second worst AL team.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The Friday night lesson

My main thought on all this drama and intrigue is this: the players need to stay focused on what really counts, and that's putting a W in the column.

If Maddon is hurting his team with all his cleverness and tactics, that's a good thing too. :-)