The GM is resposible for how a team looks "on paper"...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

The GM is resposible for how a team looks "on paper"...

...and it's the manager's job to get the results on the field.

I'm amazed that so many people want to blame Theo for the lack of production from this team and not making the playoffs the last two years. He gave Francona maybe the best group of talent ever assembled and Francona is the one that got nothing out of it. Just think back to what you yourself were thinking at the start of the season. The majority of baseball observers picked the Red Sox to win the World Series. I don't know of any that picked them to not make the postseason.

"On paper" this was one of the best teams in history. Theo did a remarkable job and nobody was complaining about talent at the start of the season. He's really got his hands tied when it comes to Francona because Terry has won two rings. It makes it hard to get rid of a guy. I think the last two years certainly make it easier.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Re: The GM is resposible for how a team looks "on paper"...

He gave Francona maybe the best group of talent ever assembled and Francona is the one that got nothing out of it. Just think back to what you yourself were thinking at the start of the season. The majority of baseball observers picked the Red Sox to win the World Series. I don't know of any that picked them to not make the postseason. "On paper" this was one of the best teams in history.------scott8340
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Really good teams have pitching staffs. Based on 2010, the only "sure" thing the Sox had in March was Lester. The rest were " If this guy does this..." and "If that guy does that..."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardout. Show hardout's posts

Disagree.  Theo in a nut shell:

Ø     
    Put a team together with no team concept offensively.

Ø      Crawford is a 2 hitter but did not hit well enough to gain that slot.

Ø      He let injured players sit through the winter injured and return to spring training injured – Jenks, Beckett, Dice, Drew, Pedroia, and others – this cost many games!

Ø      He pushed Inglasis way to hard and set him back significantly. Now needs a SS.

Ø      He had no reliable 4 or 5 starter from spring training.

Ø      Needed a right hand bat and did not get one.

Ø      Has no high level talent in his minor league system above Salem.

Ø      Gets an A for Salty, C- for Crawford, D for Wheeler, F for Jenks, C for all his other moves.

Ø      Theo has to refocus he is to much into the numbers and misses the players.

Ø      I proposed a Crawford for Reyes swap in June and I wish they did that.  Carl will not provide what Drew provided.      

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

pushed a Wakefield milestone in middle of pennant race.......9 tries....sheesh

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

pushed a Wakefield milestone in middle of pennant race.......9 tries....sheesh                                  

Amen, and you wil see no retort from Moonslow and harnut.

Chicken crap does not equal chicken salad. Fire Epstein!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

well to be fair there wake was throwing better than Miller or Weiland at the time and in a few of those games wake should have won but the pen let him down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

To be fair, Wastefield never threw better than Miller on the road. To be fair, Weiland only had about 4 or 5 circle jerk starts and was never given a rotation spot. Out of those few starts, one was good, the other was so-so, which was better than Wastefield's loser 5 or more runs nearly every 5 or 6 IP starts in after the end of June or early July. 

To be fair, the loser face of Wastefield should not be allowed to put on a  Red Sox uniform ever again.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to The GM is resposible for how a team looks "on paper"...:
    [QUOTE]...and it's the manager's job to get the results on the field. I'm amazed that so many people want to blame Theo for the lack of production from this team and not making the playoffs the last two years. He gave Francona maybe the best group of talent ever assembled and Francona is the one that got nothing out of it. Just think back to what you yourself were thinking at the start of the season. The majority of baseball observers picked the Red Sox to win the World Series. I don't know of any that picked them to not make the postseason. "On paper" this was one of the best teams in history. Theo did a remarkable job and nobody was complaining about talent at the start of the season. He's really got his hands tied when it comes to Francona because Terry has won two rings. It makes it hard to get rid of a guy. I think the last two years certainly make it easier.
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]

So wrong you are. It's the PLAYERS!!  job to get results If it was so easy to blame the manager.If Tito said ok guys everyone get a hit. Do you think they will? The results are done on the field not in the dugout. The players can make or brake any manager. Since players make all the money ,easier to fire manager.Another point? Who would go Tito or Crawford?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

gm chooses players. Players who don't perform on teams who do not perform is 100% gm.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

don't get me wrong...I like Wake..has some value......
    another pitcher should have been picked up....Wake was starting way too many games in that stretch for a team that is SUPPOSED to be top tier....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Red Sox are the team that they are, a .525 winning percentage over a hundred years, often fading down the stretch, weak in 100 years of playoffs and World Series competition, partly because of the shape of their ballpark.

A typical score at Fenway is something like 8 to 7.  1 to 0 pitching duels are pretty rare.  This is because most major league hitters can take a swing at the wall.  Fenway loads up on .300 hitters and on ground ball pitchers in order to win a few more games.

Because Red Sox players and pitchers play the at-bat equivalent of 200 baseball games a season, they wear out faster.   Boston gets the same number of players in March that everyone else gets, and maybe they play great in the spring, but too often they're more injured by September.

Then in October the damage continues.  Home run hitters win in October.  Defense wins in October.  Tremendous fastballers win.  Base stealers win.  That's not what Boston typically picked up for regular season wins.  Boston picked up the Wade Boggs type of player.

Sections
Shortcuts