The Gold Glove is a Joke

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Gold Glove is a Joke

The fact that Kevin Youkilis is one of three finalists for the 3B Gold Glove is 
    a joke. His UZR rating was one of worst in the league.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke

In Response to The Gold Glove is a Joke:
    [QUOTE]The fact that Kevin Youkilis is one of three finalists for the 3B Gold Glove is  a joke. His UZR rating was one of worst in the league.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that Youkilis had a bad season and it was surprising to hear that he is even being considered for this award. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

He's in the hunt for at least tring to bring down Ellsbury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

That was my reaction as well. The GG has been a BS award for a while now. That said, I'll be disappointed if Pedey doesn't win. His defense was superb this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Gold Glove finalist Asdrubal Cabrera ranks dead last in UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) among qualified shortstops.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

My money is on Cal Ripken Jr. to win the 2011 GG at SS. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Kevin Youkilis was not among the 18 thirdbasemen who received votes in the subjective tally of the 10-member Fielding Bible:

http://www.fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

Youkilis posted a negative Ultimate Zone Rating (UZR).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

UZR notwithstanding , just from watching the games this year , it seemed to me that Youk did not play well defensively.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

That's why when you hear "Gold-glove winning OF Mike Cameron," you have to take it for a what it is--a popularity contest among the MLB community. It's got to be one of the worst awards ever in any sport. Not that many aren't deserving, just that it's why some guys won 10 or 11 in a row, not because of their performance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Zone ratings are a big pile of dog crap.
    Anyone watching Cabrera play shortstop this year, knows that if he was the worst in the AL, then something stinks with the ratings.
    Believe what your eyes tell you, not some computer geeks who've never played the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke:
    [QUOTE]Zone ratings are a big pile of dog crap. Anyone watching Cabrera play shortstop this year, knows that if he was the worst in the AL, then something stinks with the ratings. Believe what your eyes tell you, not some computer geeks who've never played the game.
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]
    Asdrubal Cabrera ranked 13th in the subjective vote of the 10-member Fielding Bible panel:

http://www.fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]That was my reaction as well. The GG has been a BS award for a while now. That said, I'll be disappointed if Pedey doesn't win. His defense was superb this year.
    Posted by RonSwanson[/QUOTE]

That's right, Ron Swanson, we want our guy to win a BS award, for sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I just hope Jacoby get's the GG it will drive a few on this site nuts.................

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supersub. Show Supersub's posts

jeter's gold glove last year makes the award  worthless

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Jete is one of the worst fielding SSs of all time

Varitek is one of the worst fielding catchers of all-time, because I said so. Jeter is a HOF who has played SS on championship teams. If what you say is true, that is not possible. Needless to say, you are the worst poster of all times.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jete is one of the worst fielding SSs of all time who played so many seasons.

Palmeiro won it one year by playing something like 10 games at 1B that year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

what's the big deal, the Palmeiro award took all the credibility away from the GG; I still remember Ozzie Smith winning his last few only for his reputation, therefore this award is not important, its a "prom queen" award...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Jete is one of the worst fielding SSs of all time who played so many seasons. Palmeiro won it one year by playing something like 10 games at 1B that year.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Sorry moonslav, while Jeter has some limitations, that's a bunch of BS.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dozedoff. Show dozedoff's posts

I agree that it's a sham but it's no worse than mediocre players making the all-star roster because some teams have huge fan bases.   I've been disgusted with gold glove awards for decades.    I remember when pitchers like Jim Kaat and Greg Maddux kept winning year after year even when younger hurlers were obviously quicker and better fielders on the mound.   Most of the awards are deserved and good for those players.   Other winners, however, have Mark Reynolds-like fielding ability and should never have been considered in the first place.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to The Gold Glove is a Joke:
    [QUOTE]The fact that Kevin Youkilis is one of three finalists for the 3B Gold Glove is  a joke. His UZR rating was one of worst in the league.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

With all the bad Gold Glove awards that have been given out over the years, and the bad Gold Glove nominations made this year, I'm sure at many positions, that's the one that bothers you the most? Interesting.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Kim - he is probably another one of the hidden Yankee fans just pretending to be Sox fans just to annoy people.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

There are no "hidden" Yankee fans, especially hanging out on a Sox board in the off-season. ADG is a master at creating inflammatory threads. Not usually the MO of a Sox fan on a Sox board. For all I know, he could be you.

Btw, how's that Colon investigation going? I haven't heard anything yet. I guess Torre is too busy investigating beer in the Sox clubhouse. At least he's got his priorities straight. Beer=bad, Steroids=Not so bad. Nothing like having a manager of steroid users as V.P. of Operations of MLB, right?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Kim - he is probably another one of the hidden Yankee fans just pretending to be Sox fans just to annoy people.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

[QUOTE]Jete is one of the worst fielding SSs of all time Varitek is one of the worst fielding catchers of all-time, because I said so. Jeter is a HOF who has played SS on championship teams. If what you say is true, that is not possible. Needless to say, you are the worst poster of all times.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

"One of their conclusions was that Jeter was probably the least effective defensive player in the major leagues, at any position."

Read & learn.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/item_I9Io5f71ufPc6UaiysVgWK

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]I agree that it's a sham but it's no worse than mediocre players making the all-star roster because some teams have huge fan bases.   I've been disgusted with gold glove awards for decades.    I remember when pitchers like Jim Kaat and Greg Maddux kept winning year after year even when younger hurlers were obviously quicker and better fielders on the mound.   Most of the awards are deserved and good for those players.   Other winners, however, have Mark Reynolds-like fielding ability and should never have been considered in the first place.
    Posted by dozedoff[/QUOTE]

You must not have seen Maddux pitch to make a statement like that. He was probably the best fielding pitcher to ever play the game. Who are these so-called younger hurlers you speak of?