The Gold Glove is a Joke

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke

In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke:
    [QUOTE]I used to argue with my brother-in-laws about how bad Nomar was at fielding SS. They thought just because he could pirouette like a ballerina in the hole, that somehow made him good. It didn't. Others made those plays routinely and then some. (At least they agreed with me on Mike "I'll pick the ball up when it stops rolling" Greenwell.)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Greenwell was a decent Fenway Park LFer, partly due to the smaller terrain and a good ability to play the wall. His arm wasn't bad either. On the road was a different result.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : Well, it sounds like we're not going to agree. FWIW, I really didn't bring hitting into it, except the point about his good 2nd half. If you think Scutaro's better in the field, then good luck with that. As far as the rings are concerned, you diverted on the theme, so to get back on point; the RS would have won in '07 without Lugo (and they're lucky he didn't hurt); the 5 championships/7 pennants the Yankees won during Jeter's career, like I said before, would not have been possible without Jeter; including his contributions on defense. As far as the flip play is concerned; it was just no random beer league play (In fact, he made 2 great plays in that series), or Torre wouldn't have contributed a detailed analysis of it in his book, where he blasted most everyone else.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Teixiera makes better plays than the flip play or the Jeter into the stands play...Every Month! That guy is a winner also. How many errors would the Yankee infield be putting up without him? He made that entire infield acceptable defensively and had a major impact on staff ERA also. He is the game changer on that team IMO. Him, Sabathia and Granderson. One thing Cashman has done is get the true premium guys in baseball on his team recently. And it paid off for him this past year in particular. 

Notice I didn't mention Burnett in that discussion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : LOL, he's just following the precedent set by the Mitchell report. And, FWIW, Torre could have been the next RS Mgr; however, apparently he feels he's too old to deal with the hassle. Those in glass houses shouldn't cast the first stone; we're still waiting after 2 yrs to find out what Big Papi has tested positive for.

Actually, Jessey said they would be doing an investigation. I asked him when, in the off-season when it didn't matter anymore? Now, it's the off-season, and still no investigation about his surgery. I think he got 8 wins for you this year, certainly could have made a difference.

As far as Torre being the next manager and, apparently, deciding he was too old, I never heard the Sox mention Torre's name, so I don't know where you got that from. And Ortiz hasn't tested positive for anything as far as I know, so, again, I don't know where you got that from.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : Who said it bothered me the most? I'm responding to the Red Sox nominees and the fact that Youkilis was horrible in the field this year.  And again, where do I say that the Youkilis nomination bothers me the most? Oh yeah, your false interpretation.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

No Sox fan would complain about the Gold Gloves because of a Sox player being nominated. I don't care what you say. Especially, seeing some of the ridiculous selections from other teams. But your anti-Sox threads that filled the board this season have been consistent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Kim, How did your response to my statement appear before my actual response? Now this is a mystery. I wonder if Torre can look into this. Really, you are back on Colon now? He of the 7.00 ERA in the last two months of the season. And this you want to complain about?  Speaking of inflammatory threads and comments. He never tested positive for anything but obesity and high Cholesterol. As for Torre - not as bad as having the PEDs/steroid MLB investigation led by a board member of a team with steroid users. But let's not allow truth infiltrate your take on things. I can almost guarantee that Torre's investigatio in the Sox issues involved one or two phone calls and then a cold beer with Henry. The investigation was fueled by the Boston press, not some kind of conspiracy.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Here's what I'll address with you, I can't make inflammatory comments about the Yankees on a Sox board. If I wanted to make inflammatory comments about the Yankees, I would go to a Yankee board. Anything I say about the Yankees here shouldn't "inflame" anyone. It's not your team board. This is exactly where any opinion I have about the Yankees should be. There isn't a single thing that a Yankee fan can say on a Yankee board that would ever in a million years bother me. Btw, here's a quote from you a while ago:

Now here is a novel idea - this is a Sox forum in which we discuss all issues relating to baseball and the Red Sox. How about we stick to that.

Do you see anything wrong with that comment?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : Teixiera makes better plays than the flip play or the Jeter into the stands play...Every Month! That guy is a winner also. How many errors would the Yankee infield be putting up without him? He made that entire infield acceptable defensively and had a major impact on staff ERA also. He is the game changer on that team IMO. Him, Sabathia and Granderson. One thing Cashman has done is get the true premium guys in baseball on his team recently. And it paid off for him this past year in particular.  Notice I didn't mention Burnett in that discussion.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Boom I have a different opinion of Teix, good but over-rated.

Scooped balls from other fielders:
    Giambi 2008  38 in 113 games .33
    Teix 2009-11  103 in 448 games .23

wRC+ 2010 - 2011:
    Konerko 148
    Napoli   142
    Morse   142
    Butler  126
    Teix     125

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

In Response to The Gold Glove is a Joke:
    [QUOTE]The fact that Kevin Youkilis is one of three finalists for the 3B Gold Glove is  a joke. His UZR rating was one of worst in the league.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : I actually tried to google the investigation and didn't get very far; so you have a point there. Torre was bandied about by the press (and on this board), but he said (indirectly) he's too old to manage, and the RS FO agreed. He was considered a viable candidate due to his reputation with prima donnas, a demanding FO and fan base, and a difficult media. (Bellichick handles them by giving the same sterile PAT answers week after week; it's his way of saying GFY.) As far as the Papi thing, apparently you don't remember the incident where he took a week to respond to accusations of testing positive that was leaked via the same report that exposed ARod; Papi, flanked by PA lawyers, then claimed it was an OTC item from GNC.

Maybe you've forgotten this from NY Daily News.It doesn't mean Ortiz didn't do PED's but it certainly means he could be telling the truth:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009-08-08/sports/17933084_1_injectable-steroids-dietary-supplement-legal-supplements

The Daily News reported Monday that Ortiz could be one of the eight players who are believed to have tested positive for a spiked dietary supplement in 2003, rather than for hard-core injectable steroids.

The supplement 19-norandrostenedione was legal in 2003 and contained the steroid nandrolone, a hard-core performance-enhancing drug used to build muscle. Nandrolone also appears in the steroid Deca-Durabolin. The positive levels caused by a dietary supplement would likely have been lower than for a straight steroid, allowing for the contested results.

MLB confirmed in a statement Saturday that at least eight players on the government's list did not test positive for steroids under MLB's testing protocol. "There are more names on the government list (104) than the maximum number of positives that were recorded under the 2003 program (96)," MLB said.

Weiner also said the number of players on the list exceeds the number that the union and MLB agreed had tested positive. "Ninety-six is the outer limit of test results that could have been positive in 2003," Weiner said, explaining that there were 83 confirmed positive tests in 2003, a high enough number to trigger the 5% threshold the union and MLB had agreed would lead to additional testing, which was the purpose of the 2003 survey testing program.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : I actually tried to google the investigation and didn't get very far; so you have a point there. Torre was bandied about by the press (and on this board), but he said (indirectly) he's too old to manage, and the RS FO agreed. He was considered a viable candidate due to his reputation with prima donnas, a demanding FO and fan base, and a difficult media. (Bellichick handles them by giving the same sterile PAT answers week after week; it's his way of saying GFY.) As far as the Papi thing, apparently you don't remember the incident where he took a week to respond to accusations of testing positive that was leaked via the same report that exposed ARod; Papi, flanked by PA lawyers, then claimed it was an OTC item from GNC.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE] Steven/Kim...here's something from SI......
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/07/30/ortiz.steroids/index.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Youk has the best fielding percentage for 3rd base in the league, which automatically puts him in the hunt for Gold Gloe consideration.

I don't know what goes into the Zone Rating, but I wonder how playing in Fenway impacts the ZR score.  Does playing in a park with very little Foul territory have a negattive impact on the score?  Does playing in a park where the RF can play shallow impact the score?

Beltre should win the award.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I used to argue with my brother-in-laws about how bad Nomar was at fielding SS. They thought just because he could pirouette like a ballerina in the hole, that somehow made him good. It didn't. Others made those plays routinely and then some. (At least they agreed with me on Mike "I'll pick the ball up when it stops rolling" Greenwell.)

Maybe I was deceived, but Nomar in his prime IMO was above average; in '04, for some reason, he suddenly lost it; and the FO knew it. Getting OCab at that point was the right tonic, player's wives notwithstanding.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : Actually, Jessey said they would be doing an investigation. I asked him when, in the off-season when it didn't matter anymore? Now, it's the off-season, and still no investigation about his surgery. I think he got 8 wins for you this year, certainly could have made a difference. As far as Torre being the next manager and, apparently, deciding he was too old, I never heard the Sox mention Torre's name, so I don't know where you got that from. And Ortiz hasn't tested positive for anything as far as I know, so, again, I don't know where you got that from.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

I actually tried to google the investigation and didn't get very far; so you have a point there. Torre was bandied about by the press (and on this board), but he said (indirectly) he's too old to manage, and the RS FO agreed. He was considered a viable candidate due to his reputation with prima donnas, a demanding FO and fan base, and a difficult media. (Bellichick handles them by giving the same sterile PAT answers week after week; it's his way of saying GFY.) As far as the Papi thing, apparently you don't remember the incident where he took a week to respond to accusations of testing positive that was leaked via the same report that exposed ARod; Papi, flanked by PA lawyers, then claimed it was an OTC item from GNC.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I did not get to watch enough of the games but each game I did see I always saw Youk playing some good third base. Not sure about the Gold Glove award.... but I am not willing to degrade Youk over it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

OP, the Sox had three winners....are they still a joke?.... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE] OP, the Sox had three winners....are they still a joke?.... 
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]The fact that Youkilis was a finalist was a joke. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : The fact that Youkilis was a finalist was a joke. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I saw him play live, and he was awful, so you have a point. I also thought Ells was "better than Softy thinks"; even the arm, which, while not a gun, is decent and accurate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : Maybe I was deceived, but Nomar in his prime IMO was above average; in '04...Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

It was all a hoax, much like jete's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : I saw him play live, and he was awful, so you have a point. I also thought Ells was "better than Softy thinks" ; even the arm, which, while not a gun, is decent and accurate.

You're right, he was awful. Mike Lowell, bad hip and all, was head and shoulders above Youk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : It was all a hoax, much like jete's.

I hope you're basing this on more than those defective range metrics RF, UZR, and the like. Visuals would be nice. Relays, fly balls, DP pivot also. And having soft hands, a good arm, handling special situations (Runners on base, such as: SB attempts, H&R, tags, bunts, backing up bases, rundowns, decoys - for + against, minimizing baserunner leads, as well as errant throws, slow rollers, baltimore chops, deflected balls, foul balls, on the fly counsels, etc), and yes, even errors.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : I hope you're basing this on more than those defective range metrics RF, UZR, and the like. Visuals would be nice. Relays, fly balls, DP pivot also. And having soft hands, a good arm, handling special situations (Runners on base, such as: SB attempts, H&R, tags, bunts, backing up bases, rundowns, decoys - for + against, minimizing baserunner leads, as well as errant throws, slow rollers, baltimore chops, deflected balls, foul balls, on the fly counsels, etc) , and yes, even errors.

Yeah, sabermetrics. What a joke! Unfortunately many teams, including the RS with James, take that stuff to the bank. Moneyball!!!!! Isn't it great?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : I hope you're basing this on more than those defective range metrics RF, UZR, and the like. Visuals would be nice. Relays, fly balls, DP pivot also. And having soft hands, a good arm, handling special situations (Runners on base, such as: SB attempts, H&R, tags, bunts, backing up bases, rundowns, decoys - for + against, minimizing baserunner leads, as well as errant throws, slow rollers, baltimore chops, deflected balls, foul balls, on the fly counsels, etc) , and yes, even errors.

I don't think they had UZR back in Nomar's day. I have watched 99.9% of all Sox games since 1981. His running twirling plays in the hole were fluff. Others made the same players effortlessly. They also made many he never dreamed of making. Almost all MLB SSs have made some good to spectacular plays in their careers. Compared to legion ball, he's great, but compared to MLB SSs of his time, he was below average in Boston. It's my opinion. I don't feel as strongly about Nomar as Jete, because nobody ever gave Nomar a GG.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : Yeah, sabermetrics. What a joke! Unfortunately many teams, including the RS with James, take that stuff to the bank. Moneyball!!!!! Isn't it great?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

When was the last time a team that led the league in errors won the pennant?
    Here's guessing never.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : Maybe I was deceived, but Nomar in his prime IMO was above average; in '04, for some reason, he suddenly lost it; and the FO knew it. Getting OCab at that point was the right tonic, player's wives notwithstanding.
    Really, have you reliable evidence to support the rumors about players' wives?
    Nomar was not above average in his prime. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Gold Glove is a Joke : Really, have you reliable evidence to support the rumors about players' wives? Nomar was not above average in his prime. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

No, I don't, just what the media claimed. Since you appear to be sensitive about it, I'll admit it was hearsay, and I apologize for even bringing it up.

As far as Nomar is concerned, I can't tell whether you think he was very good or the opposite.

Sections
Shortcuts