The GREAT RAYS FADE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: The GREAT RAYS FADE

In Response to Re: The GREAT RAYS FADE:
    [QUOTE]Probably, its that bad right now. In 2 to 3 days we will finally have some resolution. Even if the Sox win tomorow and the Rays lose nobody will be safe until the final pitch of the 2011 regular season has been caught.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

And you know who I hope is doing the catching.
    Question is, who will be doing the pitching.
    I would think they'll come back with Lester on 3 days rest in the finale.
    But if they win Tuesday and the Rays lose, I wonder if they might use Lester in a possible tie-breaker on normal rest and go with a patch work BP start Wednesday.
    How much worse can that be?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

They have to start Lester. It does not mean anything other than your putting your best out there no matter how tired he may be. Unlike the Rays the Sox don't have anyone else. 

Bobby Sprowl?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Wow. That takes me back. Bobby Sprowl, wasn't he a southpaw?
    At this point, I'd honestly opt for Bill Lee.
    He's in good enough shape to go 5, although his pitch count would be limited to how much guff Tito would take between innings.

Luv to see Curt Young try and teach Lee about pitching...or anything else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" every media synoposis will be about the historic Red Sox collapse into a 89 to 91 win meltdown mega bust. "

And since when have you advocated trusting the mainstream media? I'm disappointed in you. 

Yes the Sox opened the door, but no other team, not the Blue Jays, not the Angels, claimed it. The Rays did, or are in the process of. And if they go on to win the ALCS and especially the world series, they will be more than a footnote on the Red Sox collapse. 

p.s. you need to let go of Theo getting fired, it ain't gonna happen. If Sox don't make the playoffs, Francona goes, right or wrong, fair or unfair. That's how this stuff works.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Yes the Sox opened the door, but no other team, not the Blue Jays, not the Angels, claimed it.

The Rays didn't claim anything. The Rays were laying in the same ditch the Rays have been in all season.

The Rays did, or are in the process of. And if they go on to win the ALCS and especially the world series, they will be more than a footnote on the Red Sox collapse.

That isn't going to happen. They will be no more than a footnote, WC entry or not.

I never said I trusted the media, I simply know what they will write. In this case, they will be correct to make the Rays a footnote to historic Red Sox September collapse.

p.s. you need to let go of Theo getting fired, it ain't gonna happen. If Sox don't make the playoffs, Francona goes, right or wrong, fair or unfair. That's how this stuff works.

I don't have to let go of anything. Theo should have already been fired. Just becuase he may not be fired does not validate ownership decision process. Tito doesn't play, and has some but not great impact on coaching millionaire professional baseball players. The biggest impact figure to a team is the GM. Regardless of whether this 160 to 170M trainwreck ends up in playoff contention, it is an abject failure that predates 2011 and has problems that will need correction from someone besides the incompetent architect of the trainwreck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Little did I know, the Sox would be the one turning my prediction almost right on the money . Now, softy will claim i was all wrong and he was all right.It's his insanity and narcissistic obsessiveness No one will write any 2011 AL synopsis by saying the Rays didn't go away. Regardless of final season outcome, every media synoposis will be about the historic Red Sox collapse into a 89 to 91 win meltdown mega bust.  The Rays went away alright, so much that Maddon admits to being a lucky beneficiary of this baseball historic collapse.   No, the story isn't about a Rays team that was double digit level out into September and continuing same level of play. The story is about that team who, not pressed by a red hot team at all, went into early coast and caution mode and self imploded in record setting fashion. The Red Sox went away, and find themselves playing lousy baseball next to another season long example of medocrity in the 2011 Rays. If Epstein isnt fired, regardless of final outcome, Henry is not the business mind I think he is.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

I rest my case. As expected and predicted, softy diverts, moves goalposts, and denies the obvious. "A distant 3rd", he projected. "All but mathematically out of it by 2 weeks left". And on and on... Now, it was supposed to be about WS contending? Bull!

Stop the lies!

Have some dignity. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

In fact, they were over 90% out of it until the last few days. Epic collapse by Red Sox is not the same thing as not going away. I never said "distant 3rd". Only goalpost move is you claiming, every year, that the Yankees are too old and will battle for 2nd place. Even now, despite continuation of epic September collapse, Rays are 63% odds against loser.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: The Rays may have launched themselves to the favorite to win the Wild Card

posted at 1/24/2011 11:46 PM EST

Damon still can get on base, and Manny hit 37 homers and drove in 121 runs in 2008, only three seasons ago.  Are you willing to bet he can't hit 30 homers and drive in 90 runs? Coupled with Longoria and backed by Dan Johnson there is no reason to not at least be prepared - that is potentially 90 home runs between the three. 

B.J Upton may just have a career year - and that is one huge upside if it were to happen.

Ben Zorbist was terrific in 2009, and easily could be in 2011.

J.P Howell will make a nice addition to the bullpen at the break.

Longoria with Manny around?  That could be a sweet combination if Manny is healthy and keeps his head out of the sand.

They still have Shields and Price, two 200+ inning starters both capable of 15+ wins; and don't think Niemann is incapable of the same.  Fireman are easy to obtain - and anyone can step up and save 35 games - look at Minnesota last season.   

There is not a starting player on the team aside from the two "idiots" that are more than 30 years old.  They have been to the play-offs two out of the last three seasons.  They played .593 ball last season.

Personally I could care if they ever win another game lest its against NY, I am just pointing to the fact they are now better today than they were a few days ago.  They easily can play .530 ball in 2011 and inflict losses upon Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Any chance that Sony Corporation will buy out the Jays and the Rays, merge the teams and become the Sony Blue Ray Players? I'm tired of the streaming horror flic I've been waching on MLB.COM; "Month of the Living Dead".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Gloating over a prediction your team will fade.  

Wow.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Shup it soxmeister - the season isn't over and I am sure I have posted the Yankees were going to miss the play-offs, and that the Sox would face Philly... and above all that the Phillies will win the WS.... it is not gloating, just a forum.

In the end, Manny did not help at all, Zorbist did indeed have a career year, Damon was helpful, Dan Johnson did zilch, JP Howell has not been good, and Price and Shields both went 200+ innings - while you soxmeister only say how great your team is and how they are going to go undefeated some of us actually take the time to show respect to other teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In fact, they were over 90% out of it until the last few days. Epic collapse by Red Sox is not the same thing as not going away. I never said "distant 3rd". Only goalpost move is you claiming, every year, that the Yankees are too old and will battle for 2nd place. Even now, despite continuation of epic September collapse, Rays are 63% odds against loser.

I posted a direct quote by you saying "distant third". Your 90% number was based on what? What matters is the final standing and how far ahead or behind Tb was near the end of the season. There is no way you can say now that you expected Tb to be a game or two behind with 5 to play, let alone tied with 2 to play.

There are many times in baseball history where a team came from behind from farther back than TB was, and besides, the fact remains TB stayed in the race that included a lower WC win total. You projected a higher WC win total. You were wrong.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Re: The Rays may have launched themselves to the favorite to win the Wild Card posted at 1/24/2011 11:46 PM EST Damon still can get on base, and Manny hit 37 homers and drove in 121 runs in 2008, only three seasons ago.  Are you willing to bet he can't hit 30 homers and drive in 90 runs? Coupled with Longoria and backed by Dan Johnson there is no reason to not at least be prepared - that is potentially 90 home runs between the three.  B.J Upton may just have a career year - and that is one huge upside if it were to happen. Ben Zorbist was terrific in 2009, and easily could be in 2011. J.P Howell will make a nice addition to the bullpen at the break. Longoria with Manny around?  That could be a sweet combination if Manny is healthy and keeps his head out of the sand. They still have Shields and Price, two 200+ inning starters both capable of 15+ wins; and don't think Niemann is incapable of the same.  Fireman are easy to obtain - and anyone can step up and save 35 games - look at Minnesota last season.    There is not a starting player on the team aside from the two "idiots" that are more than 30 years old.  They have been to the play-offs two out of the last three seasons.  They played .593 ball last season. Personally I could care if they ever win another game lest its against NY, I am just pointing to the fact they are now better today than they were a few days ago.  They easily can play .530 ball in 2011 and inflict losses upon Boston.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Great post Burrito. Don't know about what Manny would have done but I doubt you'd have seen the Manny of 2008. He hit 19 dingers in 2009. And only 9 in 320 PA's in 2010. I think his regression and self-destruction go hand in hand.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I thought he might be good for 25-30 homers, 85 ribbies and grand protection for Longoria. On top of that I epected at least one game winning homer at Fenway just to make us angry.

The one thing in that post that I did nail on the head was Zorbist.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You nailed more than Zobrist on that post. It was honest and independent.
    On Manny, I don't think one can divorce his production from the public persona of his cheating. Ya have to ask yourself why he continued the same practice...and take the same stupid risks. I think his regression was a factor. His reliance on illegal drugs in lieu of his natural ability was either the result of mental dependence...or actual physical regression. Or both.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

First: 9/29/2009
    Last: 9/28/2011
    I thought he might be good for 25-30 homers, 85 ribbies and grand protection for Longoria. On top of that I epected at least one game winning homer at Fenway just to make us angry.

The one thing in that post that I did nail on the head was Zorbist.

The hidden value of Ben Zobrist this year was the fact that TB had lost Bartlett and were set to have a pretty bad keystone combo this year. The expanded playing time for Joyce and Jennings and bringing in Fuld, allowed Ben to play 2B and Rodriguez to slide over to SS. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Looks like Dan Johnson amounted to something after all this season.

The sad thing is that his homer landed next to a bunch of empty seats.

Sections
Shortcuts