The Half Billion $ IF Corner

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: The Half Billion $ IF Corner

In Response to Re: The Half Billion $ IF Corner:
    [QUOTE]I don't think Arod is the best deal for sure, but to say worst contract in sports history???  I would rather have AROD than even your current deals with DiceK, Crawful, or Lackey.  Not to mention history.  Pavano comes to mind.  Ryan Leaf got $32M, Grant Hill got $93M, Rick Pitino $70M, Beckham $240M, Jamarcus Russell $70M.  There has been some real lemons out there.  
    Posted by ChronicNYY13[/QUOTE]

Technically, Russell was the worst draft pick.  We didn't overpay him  We took a guy, without a lot of experience, who, despite having all the motivation in the world to show in the best possible shape for senior year, still showed up bordering on obese.

So here's a guy that has demonstrated that he has no drive or motivation, even when there were millions at stake, and we guaranteed him him like $20M or so on his contract.

Didn't it dawn on them that, if Russell was a lazy mutt to start with, that he'd only be a lazier mutt after having received the money?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think Arod is the best deal for sure, but to say worst contract in sports history???  I would rather have AROD than even your current deals with DiceK, Crawful, or Lackey.  Not to mention history.  Pavano comes to mind.  Ryan Leaf got $32M, Grant Hill got $93M, Rick Pitino $70M, Beckham $240M, Jamarcus Russell $70M.  There has been some real lemons out there.  
    Posted by ChronicNYY13[/QUOTE]

ARod was $100M overpaid the day he signed the contract.  There was no chance anyone would pay him $200M, let alone $300M.  The day he opted out, Hank should've signed a check for $200M and told Boras he had 24 hours to accept it, or the next check would be $190M.

And not only did ARod get paid at least $100M too much, that opened the door for the rest of the old-timers to increase their demands.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]I think there's an excellent chance the Pujols contract will go down as the worst contract in history.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

It's possible.  I did some calculations using standard WAR deterioration based on age, did the same thing for Gonzo, and figured Pujols was ovepaid by about $75M.  But with as bad as he's started off, he could catch ARod.

1-Owners refuse to believe that hitters fall off a cliff after age 36 no matter how much you pay them

2-In pujols case, the owners saw 2 consecutive seasons with a material drop-off (albeit from an extraordinarily high level) and assumed it meant nothing.  When a guy starts sliding at the age of 32, it is a legit question to ask if this is a permanent drop-off?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]I think there's an excellent chance the Pujols contract will go down as the worst contract in history.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

this may be dead on.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's completely sick for any team to be giving a 10-year contract to a 32-year old ballplayer.  Especially now that we know what we know about PED's being used by players to 'extend' their productive years.  I hope the Angels get totally burned on that contract.  They deserve it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Half Billion $ IF Corner : ARod was $100M overpaid the day he signed the contract.  There was no chance anyone would pay him $200M, let alone $300M.  The day he opted out, Hank should've signed a check for $200M and told Boras he had 24 hours to accept it, or the next check would be $190M. And not only did ARod get paid at least $100M too much, that opened the door for the rest of the old-timers to increase their demands.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Completely agree; I thought of this as well; take $200 Mil or leave it. I also believe they could have gone down to $150 Mil; who would have paid more?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Half a billion...wow!

We have a fifth of a billion corner IF

2012 OPS comparison (before tonight):

AGon/Youk:   .715
    ARod/Tex:      .735

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The A-Rod contract is the ultimate head scratcher, there just wasn't a market for A-Rod at anywhere near what the NYY ended up giving him. When they intially made the offer Texas would have been on the hook for some of the offer. Once A-Rod opted put NYY IMHO should have let the market take hold. Boras would have come back for a counter offer if the RS or another franchise had made a strong offer.

The Tex signing is part of playing the game as a big market franchise and while the NYY have many of them, it did a WS ring in 2009.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]The A-Rod contract is the ultimate head scratcher, there just wasn't a market for A-Rod at anywhere near what the NYY ended up giving him. When they intially made the offer Texas would have been on the hook for some of the offer. Once A-Rod opted put NYY IMHO should have let the market take hold. Boras would have come back for a counter offer if the RS or another franchise had made a strong offer. The Tex signing is part of playing the game as a big market franchise and while the NYY have many of them, it did a WS ring in 2009.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Completely agree, but it's not as much of a head scratcher when you consider the bumbling & foolish adventures of one Hank Steinbrenner vs the cunning of ARod's handlers (Buffett & Boras).

WS Rings are very expensive these days; if I wasn't an addict, I'd stop following it (I already stopped going to any RS & NYY Games; haven't been to one in years, nor will I pay for any MLB subscriptions or gear; my last game at Fenway was unpleasant, where upon entry I had to throw out my sip of water - about 1/2 oz, paid $30 for parking, where they shoved my car into a corner, couldn't find it upon my return, and didn't care. It was also the front end of a day-night twin bill- a modern invention to squeeze more gates, and at the end of the game we were shoved out like cattle)

Give me the days of Yogi Berra & his dozen or so WS Rings; it was much cheaper then, you could bring sandwiches to the park, & Yogi is still a rich man.

The players even knew how to bunt then, and seemed to care.

Admittedly, the players are better athletes now; but I'm not sure this translates to more exciting, especially since the games are longer.

Also, all this protecting of pitchers doesn't seem to help; in what no one shall likely ever see again, in 1963 Marichal & Spahn (42 then) encountered a 16 inning pitcher's duel, where 450 pitches were thrown by the 2 hurlers. They both pitched for years after that. (Although Spahn did say his arm never recovered, he did manage to go almost 3 yrs after that) 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Part of the equation of getting ARod and extending him and signing Tex, was to prevent their rival (Boston) from getting these guys and presumably closing the gap from both sides (Yanks get worse at the same time the Sox get better).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Part of the equation of getting ARod and extending him and signing Tex, was to prevent their rival (Boston) from getting these guys and presumably closing the gap from both sides (Yanks get worse at the same time the Sox get better).
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I heard the same thing about Crawford, in reverse. Although it didn't work out, ditto (including the attempt to drive the price up) Santana, Sabathia, Bernie Williams, & even MO (although the last 2 were already Yankees). As Roosevelt said .....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Of course, the Yankees were the bad guys when it came to Contreras, who didn't pan out for them; funny how that karma stuff seems to apply.