The ignore button is back!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: The ignore button is back!

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

The only person I will be ignoring is my ex.   LOL

No doubt your ex is a piker compared to mine.  She once loved the Red Sox & now follows Women's Softball exclusively.  Well, she does love roller derby as well.  :)  wink wink nudge nudge...  say no moooah :)

I learned to ignore most of what she had to say after the birth of our second child.  Why is it folks need a button to protect them from reading things from someone they could choose to ignore.  Are they that powerless?  I don't get it?

My issue is whenever I read stiffy or pike's drivel I find myself also responding to it. I'm much easier going if I just don't read it at all. As self discipline has never been one of my more defined characteristics, just scrolling past their nonsense isn't really an option for me. I always end up reading it, and I usually end up responding. Usually in a tone I generally don't like using in this forum. So I just hide their posts. Anyway it works for me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

No doubt your ex is a piker compared to mine.  She once loved the Red Sox & now follows Women's Softball exclusively.  Well, she does love roller derby as well.  :)  wink wink nudge nudge...  say no moooah :)

I learned to ignore most of what she had to say after the birth of our second child.  Why is it folks need a button to protect them from reading things from someone they could choose to ignore.  Are they that powerless?  I don't get it?

My issue is whenever I read stiffy or pike's drivel I find myself also responding to it. I'm much easier going if I just don't read it at all. As self discipline has never been one of my more defined characteristics, just scrolling past their nonsense isn't really an option for me. I always end up reading it, and I usually end up responding. Usually in a tone I generally don't like using in this forum. So I just hide their posts. Anyway it works for me.

But, given the volume of their posting, and how much of any given thread is in response to them, doesn't this make your thread intake disjointed?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

But, given the volume of their posting, and how much of any given thread is in response to them, doesn't this make your thread intake disjointed?

That's actually the other benefit. It keeps me off the threads they're hijacking. :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to irc123's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

The ignore function doesn't work well for me, and I'm not sure how it ever could without destroying the continuity of the threads the ignored participated in.

The old one just hid posts by the ignored, right?  So if even if my natural curiousity didn't take over ("What's that idiot writing now?") and force me to check, their OPs weren't hidden nor responses to their posts that often included their original post.

I see what you mean. So you'd rather the ignored posts be completely hidden? That might make it tricky to unblock someone if you ever changed your mind. I guess there could be a list of users you ignore on your profile page with the option to unignore them...

In any case, appreciate the feedback!

Hi Arc, are you really a BDC dev/admin person? That'd be interesting if you are and will join in now and again.  If Dottie could confirm it I think that'd be cool.  Who can tell anyway?  On the internet nobody knows if you're a high-powered lawyer with a giant gold hoard with lots of free time between 09:00 and 17:00 EST or not, right?

As I wrote, I think a perfect solution is impractical if not impossible.  I think the ignore button is a positive redevelopment for some, even though it doesn't work for me.

What, you might ask, would be the ideal model - perfect is neither possible nor desirable (to me)? 

I dunno....how about a neighborhood sports bar?  Not too posh, not too seedy.   Loud, jocular, competetive....taking the pee out of each other constantly but no real aggro....and if someone goes too far the bartender has a word i.e. "look, mate, that isn't cool here, calm down or you're out".

That might be slighty hard to code! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

That's actually the other benefit. It keeps me off the threads they're hijacking. :-)

Mmm.  Interesting.  I probably won't do it with Softy as I tend to enjoy his nonsense.  pike on the other hand, as you spoke to, I have found myself recently responding to him in a tone that I don't appreciate in myself.  He has made my third eye squint.  I might just put him on ignore.  It is what the buddha would have done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Present company excluded, as you guys are very cool, I really get tired of the "ban X poster" to save my sensitive eyes brigade.  Holy S batman!  Grow a pair ladies!  This ain't tiddlywinks!  This is baseball.  There's no crying in baseball!  :) 

Moreover!  It's a national obsession with folks needing to be "protected" from speech that hurts their feelings???  Come on now!  If you really need that sort of "protection," you certainly don't belong on a Red Sox forum!  I don't know.  I suppose a lot of posters are from out of state, because the guys I grew up with in Boston sure never needed to be "protected" from seeing something they might strongly disagree with.  It's been a while since I lived in Boston, & it is a "brave new world," so I'm not sure why this constantly amazes me???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Mmm.  Interesting.  I probably won't do it with Softy as I tend to enjoy his nonsense.  pike on the other hand, as you spoke to, I have found myself recently responding to him in a tone that I don't appreciate in myself.  He has made my third eye squint.  I might just put him on ignore.  It is what the buddha would have done.

Now that comment is interesting, Space.  I've noticed that too, though said nothing because I thought it was both a minor change and justified. 

Don't worry....the fact you're thinking about it confirms that it is, at worst, a minor indiscretion.  Throw ten Hail Marys and send a plague of Michael Vicks to the next ignorant, evil bigot that espouses SSAD here. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to irc123's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

The ignore function doesn't work well for me, and I'm not sure how it ever could without destroying the continuity of the threads the ignored participated in.

The old one just hid posts by the ignored, right?  So if even if my natural curiousity didn't take over ("What's that idiot writing now?") and force me to check, their OPs weren't hidden nor responses to their posts that often included their original post.

I see what you mean. So you'd rather the ignored posts be completely hidden? That might make it tricky to unblock someone if you ever changed your mind. I guess there could be a list of users you ignore on your profile page with the option to unignore them...

In any case, appreciate the feedback!

I agree with Sonics...you seem like an admin here. Some time ago I wrote on another thread that it would be a good idea to have an admin here who is visible (some mistakenly assumed I was volunteering for the job). I think that would tone down some of the nonsense. If you are here in that role let us know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I agree with Sonics...you seem like an admin here. Some time ago I wrote on another thread that it would be a good idea to have an admin here who is visible (some mistakenly assumed I was volunteering for the job). I think that would tone down some of the nonsense. If you are here in that role let us know.

"it would be a good idea to have an admin here who is visible (some mistakenly assumed I was volunteering for the job). I think that would tone down some of the nonsense. If you are here in that role let us know."

Great point.  It's like the (nearly) lost benefit of beat cops....visible, know us all, understand the culture, and have a quiet word when necessary rather than taser Softy every week.  ;-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Sweet! Theres one or two on the Pats forum that are toast now!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Oh dont feel bad. ive learned to embrace my dark side when it comes to pike, and enjoy it all the same....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

BTW this is all moot. Everyone (meaning pike and kim) knows that j-bay is in total control, and bans posts and posters alike at a whem by using only his mighty batphone. And I, btw, am his loyal watchdog--reporting all questionable behavior by Sox fans directly to BDC top brass, and leaving troublesome Yankees fans to their devices, thus enabling them to do as they please and spread their evil cancer amongst us.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Progress on the technical issues here is coming in a slow and patient way.  Just like Ben Cherington's plan for the team. :-)

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Glad it is back, but it comes at a time that I need it less than before the bannings.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Glad it is back, but it comes at a time that I need it less than before the bannings.

Ah yes, the infamous BDC "purge". I am a survivor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Progress on the technical issues here is coming in a slow and patient way.  Just like Ben Cherington's plan for the team. :-)

The technical solutions are only short term fixes like Gomes, Drew, and now Napoli.  They'll be looking to revamp the system when the technology comes of age.  For the time being, they're testing these systems in Portland and Pawtucket.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Are they on here too :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I kinda miss Andrewmitch. He ignored me because we got in an argument about whether JD drew could play a passable CF if he had to in a pinch. Hopefully now that he knows he can put half the board on ignore again he comes back.

I also miss expitch. Mostly how he told everyone he was an ex pitcher.  it was like a drinking game.  every time ex pitch says he is an expitcher take a drink.

Ex wrote a book about  the USC baseball coach and published it. He really does know his stuff. Sometimes didnt deal well with some opposition here, but he has played the game for years and DOES know the game well.

Im not here to "stick up" for him. I just know who he is in the "real world" and know his background.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ha...Thats exactly what heshe/it wants you to do...Ill read his crap, but it really depends on my mood to whether I respond. He was over at soxtalk but was quickly outed by another poster who is aware of his act...Wonder who that could've been   o.O

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

BTW this is all moot. Everyone (meaning pike and kim) knows that j-bay is in total control, and bans posts and posters alike at a whem by using only his mighty batphone. And I, btw, am his loyal watchdog--reporting all questionable behavior by Sox fans directly to BDC top brass, and leaving troublesome Yankees fans to their devices, thus enabling them to do as they please and spread their evil cancer amongst us.

Ohhhh, so your the one. ;)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Well, theoretically there should be a lot less b__chhing from Pike because now he can practice what he preaches and literally ignore all the posters who offend him (which seems to be most of the board).

Of course, the odds of that happening are pretty much zero.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Are they on here too :)

I hope not.   LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

"it would be a good idea to have an admin here who is visible (some mistakenly assumed I was volunteering for the job). I think that would tone down some of the nonsense. If you are here in that role let us know."

Great point.  It's like the (nearly) lost benefit of beat cops....visible, know us all, understand the culture, and have a quiet word when necessary rather than taser Softy every week.  ;-)

Great idea !!!!   I have some x-tra time on my hands.....  As the " 2012 POY I would be a natural" @ this job.... YA THINK ????