The incomparable Bailey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The incomparable Bailey

I normally try to minimize bashing our players, but Bailey just brings out the worst in me.  Even Farrell said after the game last night he keeps making the same mistake leading to the same homeruns and blown saves.

How incomparable is he?  Five other relievers on the active roster--Uehara, Tazawa, Miller, Wilson, and Brewlow--have lower ERA's than Bailey.  Most rosters carry 7 relievers, which would make Bailey the next to worst reliever on the Sox.  In the day game four of those other guys held the same team, the Rays, to 0 runs in 4 innings. 

In the game in question, last night's, Doubront, the middle of the rotation sophomore starter, easily held the Rays to 0 runs in 8 innings.  And in the day game Aceves held them to 1 run in 5 innings.  Bailey alone couldn't get three outs without first giving up a game-tying dinger.

After the game last night, Farrell spokes as though Bailey is still the closer.  His judgment is unquestionably better than mine, but I would remove Bailey as the closer and let him play work up--be a set up man--until he can show he can get opposing hitters out.  Five other guys shown they can do that better than he can. 

Farrell mentioned one other thing, one with which I agree.  Bailey's fastball is what opposing hitters are feasting on.  He throws it to the wrong location and he doesn't mix in enough other pitches--in the strike zone--to keep opposing hitters guessing.  This, I believe, is also Lester's problem.  He loves his fastball, and it is as good as or better than that of any other starter, but he throws so many of them, hitters can ignore the other pitches. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Re: The incomparable Bailey

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I normally try to minimize bashing our players, but Bailey just brings out the worst in me.  Even Farrell said after the game last night he keeps making the same mistake leading to the same homeruns and blown saves.

How incomparable is he?  Five other relievers on the active roster--Uehara, Tazawa, Miller, Wilson, and Brewlow--have lower ERA's than Bailey.  Most rosters carry 7 relievers, which would make Bailey the next to worst reliever on the Sox.  In the day game four of those other guys held the same team, the Rays, to 0 runs in 4 innings. 

In the game in question, last night's, Doubront, the middle of the rotation sophomore starter, easily held the Rays to 0 runs in 8 innings.  And in the day game Aceves held them to 1 run in 5 innings.  Bailey alone couldn't get three outs without first giving up a game-tying dinger.

After the game last night, Farrell spokes as though Bailey is still the closer.  His judgment is unquestionably better than mine, but I would remove Bailey as the closer and let him play work up--be a set up man--until he can show he can get opposing hitters out.  Five other guys shown they can do that better than he can. 

Farrell mentioned one other thing, one with which I agree.  Bailey's fastball is what opposing hitters are feasting on.  He throws it to the wrong location and he doesn't mix in enough other pitches--in the strike zone--to keep opposing hitters guessing.  This, I believe, is also Lester's problem.  He loves his fastball, and it is as good as or better than that of any other starter, but he throws so many of them, hitters can ignore the other pitches. 

I concur, much like in 'business', it's location, location, location.  Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Thing about Jon to me is his control, location yes, but he puts hitters in hitters counts, so he has to throw fastball. He'll get ahead of count and not put hitters away.
    Time and time again you'll see him 1-2, 0-2, 2-2, and throw to many pitches, get the hitters to a 3-2 count, and he has to thorw it in there.
    Thus the Pitch count is always high.
    The advance Scouts for other teams are probably telling teams just wait him out. Not consistent in strike zone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

We have a heart attack closer in Andrew Bailey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Bailey's problems are medical problems. After he had TJ surgery he developed  Lateral Epicondylitis, ( Tennis Elbow ). The TJ surgery in and of itself in some cases is quite successful and pitchers are able to regain previous form and move on. When LE is diagnosed with stages, the prognosis is not good. No known cure. From Icy/Hot applications and rest to surgery and rest and everything in between, the worst being tissue degeneration, this is a big red flag event for a pitcher. Especially a pitcher coming from another team. Medical records are part of the show and tell when players change teams, think of the Mike Napoli deal where the player got beatup pretty good on the salary side of things because of previous injuries. You'll remember the Bailey trade, we gave up Reddick, Head, and Alcantara for Ryan Sweeney and Bailey. As this trade continues to playout the (3) guys we gave up are still with the A's and the (2) guys we got, one is gone and one is going. This trade should have been addressed on the medical issues of Bailey as he was the key for the RS. Let's leave it as a  due diligence oversight because there was less than 5MM on the table in the whole deal, ( Chump Change ) for the RS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

That just changed over the last week. So are you saying that before the past week he was the Red Sox best reliever but now he is the 6th best?

It always, always blows my mind that people change their mind about a player week to week.

10 days ago Baileys ERA was around 1.50. So back then was he the best pitcher in baseball?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Nah, the guys just got to be used on a more regular basis so he can get his rythum.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Funny thing, I kind of agree part of Bailey's problem is he is used so sparingly.  The Sox are next to last in the AL in save opportunities, and Bailey isn't the only closer Farrell has used this year.  He might be better off being a set up guy and getting to pitch more often.  Or the Sox need to get with the program and arrive in the 9th inning more often with a 1-3 run lead. 

Sections
Shortcuts