The Inverted W

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The Inverted W

Been reading on this a bit lately. Im starting to look at pitchers with this trait in their windup and if theyve had and shoulder or elbow issues...Please feel free to add any info on this or pitchers that might have this in their windup, thus beeing a possible, if not already, candidate for future arm issues...Heres a couple good links I found on this subject...

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/06/the-pitching-technique-thats-threatening-baseballs-young-phenoms/240351/#

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/PitchingMechanics101/Essays/DeathToTheInvertedW.html

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7712916/tommy-john-surgery-keeps-pitchers-game-address-underlying-biomechanical-flaw-espn-magazine

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Re: The Inverted W

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting articles.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm surprised I missed the Atlantic article when it was originally published.  

[/QUOTE]

Things do change through time, it is almost as if, the full wind does not exist. What I comprehend from this article is the full wind up will be benificial to a starter, but the chances of base stealing will increase. The pitching coaches need to look at what is more important their young stud pitching techniques and more consistent way to conserve the pitchers arm.

Also the article mentioning that putting prospect pitcher; who is not ready for the starters can be very definstating to their career. The article mention that pitchers very seldomly come back the same after surgery. 

Awsome article southpaw 777 thanx for the info.

I been curious now and i watch Doc Gooden techniques. He was known for a consistent fast ball in the high nineties and a nasty curve ball. He ran into personal problems but had a full wind up. Watching Doc pitch when he came into the league was awsome.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not seeing the statistical evidence that Joba and Strasbourg were rushed.  Strasbourg has 123 IPs at age 21, and Joba had 112 IPs.  It should also be noted that the reason Joba fell in the draft is because he was already considered an injury risk.  And neither pitcher showed an inkling of a problem early on.  I'm not sure he demonstrated the issue of the W or differentiated between that and what might already been a pre-existing condition for guys that throw 100 mph.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im still fairly new to the inverted W, and will be looking for more info on this. Some interesting stuff for sure. If any of you guys find any more info, please post it. Thanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Im still fairly new to the inverted W, and will be looking for more info on this. Some interesting stuff for sure. If any of you guys find any more info, please post it. Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

FG had something interesting on arm angles, but that was a while back.  Interesting stuff if you have a background in biomechanics.  A lot of stuff on arm angle, how you fall off the mound, etc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FG had something interesting on arm angles, but that was a while back.  Interesting stuff if you have a background in biomechanics.  A lot of stuff on arm angle, how you fall off the mound, etc.

[/QUOTE]

Ill see if I can find something there...Thanks JB

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I understand it, but why call it the inverted W? Why not the "M"?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I understand it, but why call it the inverted W? Why not the "M"?

[/QUOTE]

I imagine inverted W sounds so much better than the M, dont u think?