The John Farrell Man Crush Continues!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

The John Farrell Man Crush Continues!

The Red Sox are currently trying to work out compensation for John Farrell according to sources. I honestly don't get why the Red Sox want him so badly. Yes I understand that they know him, and that they like him and he likes the Red Sox organization however it sounds like players in Toronto really aren't fond of him as a manager, he handled the homophobic slur situation kind of poorly, so I don't understand the affection? He was a pitching coach, pitching coaches don't always go on to become the best managers. I think Tony Pena or the coach from the Dodgers would make a much better choice then Farrell.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Re: The John Farrell Man Crush Continues!

John Farrell reminds me a lot of Josh McCdaniels the Patriots Offensive Coordinator, he was a good OF Coordinator but not a very good Coach. He went on to coach the Broncos for a year or two did bad and ended up right back where he started. That's what I think may happen with Farrel, he goes on to coach the Blue Jays, doesn't do so good they don't rehire him they move on and he goes back to being a pitching coach somewhere (maybe not the Red Sox).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

They want Farrell because they can't bring Francona back.  Like Francona or not, he absolutely was successful, and the thinking is presumably that they liked the way he controlled the clubhouse until tht last month.  If nothing else, the team attitude under Valentine was clearly very anti-Francona.

Bringing back Francona would be tantamount to admitting error.  (Plus he has another job.) Bringing back Farrell, however, would be the next best thing.

I say, cut bait with Farrell.  Like Francona, he has another job, too.  Move forward, not backward...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont think giving up a possible valuable part of the future is worth it. Weve already heard players, who wish to remain anonymous, stating their thoughts on Farrell and it doesnt sound like he would be a welcomed choice amongst the clubhouse. Now if this is true we will see a repeat of this year. A manager has to have his players trust.

Players played hard for Francona for 8 years (minus one month). Will they do that with Farrell? They sure didnt in Toronto.

I think they should move on and start over with new blood leading the clubhouse. No to Farrell...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

What about Tony Pena? Any chance for him?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

What about Tony Pena? Any chance for him?

I would hope so. he had a 6hr interview. hes a baseball lifer and has great passion and knowledge. I think He or Wallach would make excellent managers. Even Ausmus, but with less practical experience.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Toronto should send us compensation if we take Farrell off their hands.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

INSANE. Omar Vizquel, a true ambassador of baseball, already complained about the lack of accountability in the clubhouse. Sound familiar? 

Oh and other than managing what should have been a  .500 team into a .451 ball team and more than 22 games out.

Oh an being a pitching coach... what was written time and time again about pitching coaches becoming managers?

I do not like to bring race into it and I do not believe that our team operates based on race but now would be a great time to bring in Alomar Jr.... mainly as he is a great baseball man but also to help re-bridge that fan gap once again.

I may actually start to dislike my team if ownership continues to be this messed up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I think Farrell could make the team to have better pitchings.   Maybe that is why Boston wanted him badly.  Yes they are still in talk with the BlueJays.

If Farrell cant come, then Pena should be the next guy to pick.   I think that Pena would do a heck of a job as a Red Sox manager!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Here would be the order of people I'd want hired as manager:

1. Tony Pena
    2. Dave Martinez (I know he's not scheduled to interview)
    3. Tim Wallach
    4. John Farrell
    5. Sandy Alomar Jr
    6. Brad Ausmus or whatever his name is
    7.  Demarlo Hale

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

I think Farrell could make the team to have better pitchings.   Maybe that is why Boston wanted him badly.  Yes they are still in talk with the BlueJays.

If Farrell cant come, then Pena should be the next guy to pick.   I think that Pena would do a heck of a job as a Red Sox manager!!

Obviously you have not read the follwoing article:

http://www.boston.com/sports/2012/10/05/john-farrell-flawed-candidate-for-red-sox/kiOANPdnuqWEkEAlKnb5PI/story.html

"Stupid is as stupid does". Notin has it right, they want Farrell beacase they can't get Francona back. Somehow, Ben thinks he can go back in time and ressurrect a winning team.

There is an old military saying, "you can't go back to an old duty station", meaning it's just not the same the second time around.

This clearly shows the ineptness of Ben Cherington, if the Red Sox are to ever regain their wining ways, a new GM is the answer, not a perceived clone of Terry Francona!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Obviously you have not read the follwoing article:

http://www.boston.com/sports/2012/10/05/john-farrell-flawed-candidate-for-red-sox/kiOANPdnuqWEkEAlKnb5PI/story.html

"Stupid is as stupid does". Notin has it right, they want Farrell beacase they get Francona back. Somehow, Ben thinks he can go back in time and ressurrect a winning team.

There is an old military saying, "you can't go back to an old duty station", meaning it's just not the same the second time around.

This clearly shows the ineptness of Ben Cherington, if the Red Sox are to ever regain their wining ways, a new GM is the answer, not a perceived clone of Terry Francona!

Can't go back in time? Heck if the sox built there team like the 2004-2007 teams do you think they would have lost 95 games.A new direction hurt this team bad .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

FWIW Joe McDonald endorses DeMarlo Hale as the next manager.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

If the Red Sox wanted tito back they should of just swallowed their pride and gave him a phone call.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

I agree with Notin, to an extent, and I said it on a thread on here around 2 weeks ago.  In effect, by hiring Demarlo Hale the FO would be admitting that firing Francona and bring in BV was a mistake that they were willing to rectify without having to admit a mistake.  Farrell will cost them two things that they can't afford: a prospect and time.  In additon, he now has a track record as a manager and it is tarnished, not by his record in Toronto, but in his inability to control that clubhouse.  Hale deserves his chance, and he has the respect of the players already.  I don't want to hear the reasoning that Farrell will be good for the pitchers.  That is the job of the pitching coach.  Hale must have ties with Rick Peterson, as they are both employed by the O's right now.  Forget about Farrell and move forward.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

And hiring that loser Farell would admit what? Sounds to me the same as Hale.... except Hale is actually qualified

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

How about this: To those of you you salivatate at Farell (mainly becasue you cannot think 4 yourself and the media told u he was king) why not over-pay him to be the pitching coach?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, Toronto had alot of injuries on their pitching staffs in the past two years including their top two best pitchers.

Anytime their top two pitchers are on DL or had TJ surgery not too long ago, there are more pressures on these younger pitchers/bottom of the rotation pitchers to try to carry the team.  It is like losing Bucholtz, and Lester, and then these other guys such as Doubront, Cook, Morales, Dice K, along others have to carry the team while these two guys are out.  

Fans need to stop trying to look at stats no matter who is pitchings.  Toronto pitching is not as good as Rays or Orioles or Yankees.  Maybe they are pretty even with Boston!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

First of all, Toronto had alot of injuries on their pitching staffs in the past two years including their top two best pitchers.

Anytime their top two pitchers are on DL or had TJ surgery not too long ago, there are more pressures on these younger pitchers/bottom of the rotation pitchers to try to carry the team.  It is like losing Bucholtz, and Lester, and then these other guys such as Doubront, Cook, Morales, Dice K, along others have to carry the team while these two guys are out.  

Fans need to stop trying to look at stats no matter who is pitchings.  Toronto pitching is not as good as Rays or Orioles or Yankees.  Maybe they are pretty even with Boston!!

The Red Sox staff era went up every year from 2007 on under Farrell. Where's the ringing endorsement there? IMO Farrell's greatest worth to a baseball team is in player development, which is where he excelled in Cleveland. He is certainly not worth giving up any prospects to bring in as manager.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

r u real? more excuses! check baltimores transactions brainiac

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:

Here would be the order of people I'd want hired as manager:

1. Tony Pena
    2. Dave Martinez (I know he's not scheduled to interview)
    3. Tim Wallach
    4. John Farrell
    5. Sandy Alomar Jr
    6. Brad Ausmus or whatever his name is
    7.  Demarlo Hale

wow an original list.... or is this a list the media gave us? Think much?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

How about this: To those of you you salivatate at Farell (mainly becasue you cannot think 4 yourself and the media told u he was king) why not over-pay him to be the pitching coach?

Farrell is only one of many qualified to manage the sox. As I said before if it costs a good prospect or two it isn't worth it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Sandy Alomar Jr.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Sandy Alomar Jr.

For what reasons?

Sections
Shortcuts