The John Farrell Man Crush Continues!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: The John Farrell Man Crush Continues!

Because he is a well-paid former baseball player who still has the desire to be part of the game. He comes from a family of ball-players, with his father already having been a MLB coach ... he is only 46 years old and can easily relate to todays players, and he is from Puerto Rico which never hurts with enticing other latinos to Boston and re-exciting the local Latino community.

Also ALOMAR was an actual leader  on the Indians unlike Varitek in Boston, and Alomar by all accounts held those teams together... again unlike Tek in Boston.

Alomar has been on the short-list of managerial candidates for Toronto, Chicago, Boston, and Cleveland... clearly he has the goods. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If you are using Tito and Pena as benchmarks, they BOTH had failing grades in their first management opportunities as well. And both had lost the club house, to the point that Pena quit.

The key is being smart enough to learn from your mistakes.

Pena admittedly favors the "go with a hunch" style rather than RS style of sabermetrics. I dont think that flies in this era.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because he is a well-paid former baseball player who still has the desire to be part of the game. He comes from a family of ball-players, with his father already having been a MLB coach ... he is only 46 years old and can easily relate to todays players, and he is from Puerto Rico which never hurts with enticing other latinos to Boston and re-exciting the local Latino community.

Also ALOMAR was an actual leader  on the Indians unlike Varitek in Boston, and Alomar by all accounts held those teams together... again unlike Tek in Boston.

Alomar has been on the short-list of managerial candidates for Toronto, Chicago, Boston, and Cleveland... clearly he has the goods. 

[/QUOTE]

Alomar could be good, but OTOH he has no actual managerial experience, and who knows how he will handle the madness of Boston.  He's an unknown quantity.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

John Farrell reminds me a lot of Josh McCdaniels the Patriots Offensive Coordinator, he was a good OF Coordinator but not a very good Coach. He went on to coach the Broncos for a year or two did bad and ended up right back where he started. That's what I think may happen with Farrel, he goes on to coach the Blue Jays, doesn't do so good they don't rehire him they move on and he goes back to being a pitching coach somewhere (maybe not the Red Sox).

[/QUOTE]

good analogy

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

its not everyday you have to give compensation to a team for hiring their last place manager....shrewd Ben!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you are using Tito and Pena as benchmarks, they BOTH had failing grades in their first management opportunities as well. And both had lost the club house, to the point that Pena quit.

The key is being smart enough to learn from your mistakes.

Pena admittedly favors the "go with a hunch" style rather than RS style of sabermetrics. I dont think that flies in this era.  

[/QUOTE]

Where has the Sox "style of sabermetrics" gotten them lately? What is sabermetrics other than playing hunches by the numbers? I'd like to see Pena given a chance. How much worse than last year could it be?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

under farrell, the team Era and pitchers waistlines went up every year...you cant afford to pass up this type of leadership!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One advantage of hiring Farrell - the board here has already buried him - so we'd be way ahead of the game LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One advantage of hiring Farrell - the board here has already buried him - so we'd be way ahead of the game LOL

[/QUOTE]

LOL, Hfx. No honeymoon necessary, straight for divorce. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Why oh why would the Red Sox give up anyone for Farrell? The other interviewees are no different and probably better.

Is Red Sox management watching the Cards and Mike Matheny?

If they give up anything for him, they are dumb.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL, Hfx. No honeymoon necessary, straight for divorce. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, why wait to go through the rough marriage...

Im not really for hiring Farrell either, but If they do decide on Farrell I will be behind them in the hopes he does well here. After the decision is made, IMO, theres no use whining about it. Whats done is done. Im not the crying and whining type like some here. It is what it is. Complaining about something you cant change is useless and a waste of my time.

If the Sox are my team, and they are, no matter whether I agree with their decision, I will want whoever they put in charge to perform well for the sake of the team. Unlike some here who act like a spoiled kid that didnt get what they wanted, and are continually crying and whining...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, why wait to go through the rough marriage...

Im not really for hiring Farrell either, but If they do decide on Farrell I will be behind them in the hopes he does well here. After the decision is made, IMO, theres no use whining about it. Whats done is done. Im not the crying and whining type like some here. It is what it is. Complaining about something you cant change is useless and a waste of my time.

If the Sox are my team, and they are, no matter whether I agree with their decision, I will want whoever they put in charge to perform well for the sake of the team. Unlike some here who act like a spoiled kid that didnt get what they wanted, and are continually crying and whining...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you've been reading some posts from our resident glass half empty guys. I don't want Farrell either, just like I didn't want Valentine. But I'd be willing to give Farrell the same chance I was willing to give Valentine. A winning season cures a lot of ills. If Ben gives up any baseball player for the right to hire him though, he needs his head examined.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobcatsr. Show bobcatsr's posts

In Boston, it's not about winning or losing, it's about the bottom line.  The Sox need a face for the organization.  One that will not rock the boat, will not cause the minions to stop coming to the park, stop buying the over priced beer and everything else they sell over there and will not chase away the sponsors who put up millions for exposure. This is exactly why they will pursue Farrell to the end of the earth.  He's their kind of guy, pleasant, makes a nice appearance, and even talks like he knows what he's talking about and perhaps he does.  Oh he's coming alright but not for Baseball reasons, for bottom line reasons.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why oh why would the Red Sox give up anyone for Farrell? The other interviewees are no different and probably better.

Is Red Sox management watching the Cards and Mike Matheny?

If they give up anything for him, they are dumb.

[/QUOTE]

The difference is that the Cards knew Matheny very well from him playing there For half a decade, and then over 2 years as a special advisor. You could say that Varitek is on the same track. 

To think that the RS would have the same level of comfort and confidence in Wallach or Ausmus as the Cards did in Matheny is foolish. That is why they passed on Sveum last year. I am not saying that it is right or wrong, only that is what the RS are comfortable with. 

The Cards also played in a division with the Pirates, Cubs and Astros. They were coming off a season of losing Pujols. Not a ton of pressure on Matheny. Different situation here in Boston

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Dear Blue Jays:

You can have John Lackey and his remaining contract.  

P.S.  HAHA your team has not made the playoffs since 1993.   LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[/QUOTE]
    Where has the Sox "style of sabermetrics" gotten them lately? What is sabermetrics other than playing hunches by the numbers? I'd like to see Pena given a chance. How much worse than last year could it be?

[/QUOTE]

That's like saying, what is intelligence other than ignorance with brains.  The point of hunches is it's not based on numbers.

The most important part of what manager they hire is doing it soon so they can move on to getting coaches and a team that will work well together.  Far too much emphasis is being placed on the manager. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

under farrell, the team Era and pitchers waistlines went up every year...you cant afford to pass up this type of leadership!

[/QUOTE]

Conveniently leaving out that the Sox ERA went down a full point the first year Farrel was hired.

And it never got as high, during Farrell's tenure, as it was the year before he was hired.

Before coming to the Sox, Farrell was Dir of Player Develpoement for the Indians.

In 2003 and 2004, the Indians were named "Organization of the Year" by USA Today's Sports Weekly. In 2003, it was also named as having the top farm system in professional baseball by Baseball America.

The Indians were also the team that took out the Yankees in the 2007 ALDS and the team the Sox had so much trouble with, in the ALCS.

Seems, like the Indians have been missing that lack of leadership lately.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm wondering what the compensation for Farrell is?  I wouldn't go any higher than a Brandon Workman, even that seem to high for me.   Maybe a Chris Hernandez?

I'm not 100% sold on bringing the guy back but it seems like we are making a serious push for him, so why not contemplate the compensate. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm wondering what the compensation for Farrell is?  I wouldn't go any higher than a Brandon Workman, even that seem to high for me.   Maybe a Chris Hernandez?

I'm not 100% sold on bringing the guy back but it seems like we are making a serious push for him, so why not contemplate the compensate. 

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind Farrell as Sox skipper, but giving up any half-decent propect rubs me the wrong way.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Me too....but it might be a reality.  I hope not 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

judging Farrell as a weak manager via francona isnt fair....but judging him as a manager in toronto is fair...and giving up anyone for a guy with that record is nuts....i am willing to give anyone a chance to right this ship, but cmon, compensation? Then just pick Pena and go in that direction...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox are currently trying to work out compensation for John Farrell according to sources. I honestly don't get why the Red Sox want him so badly. Yes I understand that they know him, and that they like him and he likes the Red Sox organization however it sounds like players in Toronto really aren't fond of him as a manager, he handled the homophobic slur situation kind of poorly, so I don't understand the affection? He was a pitching coach, pitching coaches don't always go on to become the best managers. I think Tony Pena or the coach from the Dodgers would make a much better choice then Farrell.

[/QUOTE]

Asking a RS fan why John Farrell should be hired, is like asking Romney his economic plan. The RS fan doesn't know, but makes something up, and Romney says he's got a 5 point plan. I have no idea why they would bring Farrell in to do this job. I can think of 5 reasons why they shouldn't! 1) He's a pencil pusher, not a mager, 2) he'd be too chummy, 3) he never was regarded as a super-pitching coach. 4) These guys would walk all over him and 5) what did he do in Torointo that was so fantastic.

There are only 2 possibilities that make sense. Ausman and Tony Pena. Get one of them, and watch this pitching staff take shape, and watch the catchers learn something about calling a game. Right now neither one knows much about it!

Sections
Shortcuts