The John Farrell Man Crush Continues!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: The John Farrell Man Crush Continues!

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

under farrell, the team Era and pitchers waistlines went up every year...you cant afford to pass up this type of leadership!

[/QUOTE]

Conveniently leaving out that the Sox ERA went down a full point the first year Farrel was hired.

And it never got as high, during Farrell's tenure, as it was the year before he was hired.

Before coming to the Sox, Farrell was Dir of Player Develpoement for the Indians.

In 2003 and 2004, the Indians were named "Organization of the Year" by USA Today's Sports Weekly. In 2003, it was also named as having the top farm system in professional baseball by Baseball America.

The Indians were also the team that took out the Yankees in the 2007 ALDS and the team the Sox had so much trouble with, in the ALCS.

Seems, like the Indians have been missing that lack of leadership lately.

[/QUOTE]

I've always said that Farrell looked like a GM in waiting. Manager? Not so much.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox should ask for a lot of money and a top prospect to take Farrell off the books of the Jays.  Few things could be more pathetic than sending compensation for Farrell, who had the Jays flying in a ditch almost as deep as the U.S. unemployment lines.

[/QUOTE]

Every once in a while you're right...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They want Farrell because they can't bring Francona back.  Like Francona or not, he absolutely was successful, and the thinking is presumably that they liked the way he controlled the clubhouse until tht last month.  If nothing else, the team attitude under Valentine was clearly very anti-Francona.

Bringing back Francona would be tantamount to admitting error.  (Plus he has another job.) Bringing back Farrell, however, would be the next best thing.

I say, cut bait with Farrell.  Like Francona, he has another job, too.  Move forward, not backward...

[/QUOTE]

This Farrell thing gets more ridiculous by the min ute. The Blue Jays under his two year watch went backwards.  There were discipline problems on the team, the pitching was inconsistent, the hitting non-existent much of the time and both seasons were losing records.  The only reason I can think of why Lucchino and Henry want this g uy is because he would be pliable and followe orders handed down from on high.  In other words, a patsy or a custodian.  Get a real manager and then get the h@ll out of his way and let him pick his own coaches and manage.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They want Farrell because they can't bring Francona back.  Like Francona or not, he absolutely was successful, and the thinking is presumably that they liked the way he controlled the clubhouse until tht last month.  If nothing else, the team attitude under Valentine was clearly very anti-Francona.

Bringing back Francona would be tantamount to admitting error.  (Plus he has another job.) Bringing back Farrell, however, would be the next best thing.

I say, cut bait with Farrell.  Like Francona, he has another job, too.  Move forward, not backward...

[/QUOTE]

This Farrell thing gets more ridiculous by the min ute. The Blue Jays under his two year watch went backwards.  There were discipline problems on the team, the pitching was inconsistent, the hitting non-existent much of the time and both seasons were losing records.  The only reason I can think of why Lucchino and Henry want this g uy is because he would be pliable and followe orders handed down from on high.  In other words, a patsy or a custodian.  Get a real manager and then get the h@ll out of his way and let him pick his own coaches and manage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Interesting that at least one Sox player has already expressed a level of disrespect for Farrell as a manager.  Isn't his ability to earn the player's respect their supposed reason for bringing him back.  If the Sox have to give up more than Chris Carpenter, then go with Ausmus or Hale.  Any of the 4 (pena and Wallach included) would be a better option, if only because it really cleans house and sends this yung, inexpensive roster in a new direction.

Here's hoping Ben does not make the mistake of thinking he can get 2007 back by getting one of the old regime back in charge.  It is time to move on.  Besides, Farrell gets too much credit for Beckett, Lester and Buchholz's success (which has been rather fleeting, all things considered, under his toutelage).  And one writer gave him credit for coaxing an 18-3 season from Dicke-K.  How about ruining Dice-K by insisting he do things their way?  How many of the Sox pitchers have had major arm problems as a result of that great program Farrell and his staff put in place?

If Farrell is Ben's choice, expect the Sox to: 1) end up buying their way out of his contract after, 2) Ben is fired.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Why do they want to hire a guy who's team under achieved and finished second to last. 

Maybe the six are hoping to play as well as Toronto did this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why do they want to hire a guy who's team under achieved and finished second to last. 

Maybe the six are hoping to play as well as Toronto did this year.

[/QUOTE]

And wpuld have finished last had the Sox not made their white flag trade.

I get why they want Farrell, but I don't think its sound reasoning to pursue him.  Move on, Sox!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox are currently trying to work out compensation for John Farrell according to sources. I honestly don't get why the Red Sox want him so badly. Yes I understand that they know him, and that they like him and he likes the Red Sox organization however it sounds like players in Toronto really aren't fond of him as a manager, he handled the homophobic slur situation kind of poorly, so I don't understand the affection? He was a pitching coach, pitching coaches don't always go on to become the best managers. I think Tony Pena or the coach from the Dodgers would make a much better choice then Farrell.

[/QUOTE]

Yes to Tony Pena. I don't see why they have not offered him the job. He would be a good fit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

I just don't understand the Red Sox obsession with John Farrell.

Hire one of the young guys they interviewed from outside the organization and start CLEAN.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Starting to grow accustomed by the Sox fixation on one specific candidate.  

13. This post has been removed.