The John Lackey Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Re: The John Lackey Thread

What we have here is just a friendly little inside competition.

Even though both are stubborn, sooner or later, either LAckey or Dice-K will admit that they aren't as grossly incompetant as the other.  Right now, however, the game is on to see who can be the Best at being Worst.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Lackey keeps saying the ball comes out of his hand good.     The hitters fully agree with him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: The John Lackey Thread:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The John Lackey Thread : I think you got confused by the #'s; or I may not have been clear. I am hoping he can go 5+ and give up under 4. But if he gets shelled again he has a real chance to be at around 20
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

You said if he doesn't go 5+ innings while giving up less than 4 runs he should be released.  All I'm saying is that these numbers are meaningless.  How is 5 and 4 acceptable (7.20 ERA) but 8 and 5 not acceptable (5.625 ERA)?  I'm also saying that last year he lead the team in starts in which he went 6+ innings giving up 3 or fewer runs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The John Lackey Thread

If this guy can't go 5+ Innings without allowing fewer than 4 Runs I think it's time to seriously reconsider the John Lackey experiment.  IE Something drastic should at least be considered.

Let's give him a chance tonight but man, this guy is on thin ice and every baserunner he allows could certainly be his last IMO; or should I say if I were the decision-maker.  I'd hate to be pitching under these circumstances too but then again, I am not the one with an ERA rapididly approaching 20.00 !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TORNSOX. Show TORNSOX's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The John Lackey Thread : You said if he doesn't go 5+ innings while giving up less than 4 runs he should be released.  All I'm saying is that these numbers are meaningless.  How is 5 and 4 acceptable (7.20 ERA) but 8 and 5 not acceptable (5.625 ERA)?  I'm also saying that last year he lead the team in starts in which he went 6+ innings giving up 3 or fewer runs.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

man, you sure know how to polish a turd.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

So, what i am understanding from general sentiment in this tough time:  if Lackey falters tonight he should be ... released?  traded?  And the same thing with Dice-K.  And of course Wakefield shouldn't even have been on the roster to begin with.  I'm all for it.  Sure hope Andrew Miller is ready to go!  We're gonna need some pitchers when the axe comes down on these bums. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The John Lackey Thread : Yup, if he goes 4 innings and gives up 5 runs (or something to that effect) I said that something drastic should be CONSIDERED.......

"If this guy can't go 5+ Innings without allowing fewer than 4 Runs I think it's time to seriously reconsider the John Lackey experiment."

How exactly would you interpret reconsidering the John Lackey experiment?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The John Lackey Thread : *  Who said anything about performance?  I guess the Nancy Kerrigan bit went over your head *  Do the Math - Unless Lackey pitches well tonight, I can guarantee you that his ERA will be at least ONE FULL RUN higher than what he did last year *  I am going to ignore your comparison of Lackey to Puljous......

You need to do the math, or decide what point you want to make.  So far you've improved your expectations for Lackey from a 20+ ERA to a 5.40+ ERA.

I guess the Pujols comparison went over your head.  It was meant to show the absurdity of using such small sample sizes, by taking a far superior ballplayer and demonstrating that over the same chunk of the season, he can look god awful.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The John Lackey Thread : The 5.40 ERA is a BEST-CASE Scenario The Albert thing is nuts.  Any comparison of Lackey to Albert can only be construed as non-sense.

Which is why there was a "+" after it......

And good, I'm glad you can see how non-sensical it is to draw conclusions about huge decline 11 games into the baseball season.  Now you just need to figure out how to learn something and then apply it to other situations.  You're half way there!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TORNSOX. Show TORNSOX's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The John Lackey Thread : And you're basing this off of 2 outtings?  Take a couple deep breaths.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

i think he's also referring to THE 2010 LACKEY. or as i like to call it ANOTHER THEO MISTAKE (ATM).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

I wonder if Lackey is hurt and he is just concealing an injury.  Between Lackey and Dice K the bullpen will be done sometime in May. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The John Lackey Thread : You need to do the math, or decide what point you want to make.  So far you've improved your expectations for Lackey from a 20+ ERA to a 5.40+ ERA. I guess the Pujols comparison went over your head.  It was meant to show the absurdity of using such small sample sizes, by taking a far superior ballplayer and demonstrating that over the same chunk of the season, he can look god awful.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

The 5.40 ERA is a BEST-CASE Scenario

The Albert thing is nuts.  Any comparison of Lackey to Albert can only be construed as non-sense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karlosantonylimtiaco. Show Karlosantonylimtiaco's posts

Diamond talk... that was a good one! "Lackey keeps saying, "the ball is coming out of my hand good." And the hitters agree with him.

Seriously, in these difficult days I need to remember 2004. Keep the faith! These are the Redsox fellas. My mom keeps telling me this. They will put you on the verge of cardiac arrest and then, BAM! Redsox come alive. We have seen them rise from the dead in years past. Why ought we not to believe they can do it again?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The John Lackey Thread : Which is why there was a "+" after it...... And good, I'm glad you can see how non-sensical it is to draw conclusions about huge decline 11 games into the baseball season.  Now you just need to figure out how to learn something and then apply it to other situations.  You're half way there!
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

You'd be far better served to stop the personal attacks.   Until then good luck to you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The John Lackey Thread : " If this guy can't go 5+ Innings without allowing fewer than 4 Runs I think it's time to seriously reconsider the John Lackey experiment." How exactly would you interpret reconsidering the John Lackey experiment?
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Exactly how I wrote it.  Management gets together to get to a decision.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The John Lackey Thread : Because we got no Pedro or Schil this time around.....

I'd take it a step further.  We need more than a Pedro or Schill to get it going this time.  Beckett's last outing was Pedroesque, and Lester isn't far off from Schilling (when he was with Boston).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Diamond talk... that was a good one! "Lackey keeps saying, "the ball is coming out of my hand good." And the hitters agree with him. Seriously, in these difficult days I need to remember 2004. Keep the faith! These are the Redsox fellas. My mom keeps telling me this. They will put you on the verge of cardiac arrest and then, BAM! Redsox come alive. We have seen them rise from the dead in years past. Why ought we not to believe they can do it again?
    Posted by Karlosantonylimtiaco[/QUOTE]

Because we got no Pedro or Schil this time around.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The John Lackey Thread : You'd be far better served to stop the personal attacks.   Until then good luck to you.

Personal attacks?  I'm simply telling you that you need to finish learning some basic things, such as applying lessons which you have clearly learned to other, similar situations.  I promise, once you are able to see the connections between occurrences, you will be a far happier person.  After all, I'm not the person ready to throw out $61M because of 2 or potentially 3 bad starts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGreatAnton7. Show TheGreatAnton7's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

In Response to The John Lackey Thread:
    [QUOTE]If this guy can't go 5+ Innings without allowing fewer than 4 Runs I think it's time to seriously reconsider the John Lackey experiment.  IE Something drastic should at least be considered. Let's give him a chance tonight but man, this guy is on thin ice and every baserunner he allows could certainly be his last IMO; or should I say if I were the decision-maker.  I'd hate to be pitching under these circumstances too but then again, I am not the one with an ERA rapididly approaching 20.00 !!!!

THANK GOD!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGreatAnton7. Show TheGreatAnton7's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Uh huh...So you think Beckett is 100% back now?  After ONE start followed by a terrible one?  Let's see what he does his next start. And in case you didn't get the memo, we have the worst starting pitching in the league - BY FAR; it's not even close. And as per usual, thank you so much for sharing with the world your "gold standard" for what a "real fan" is.  Horse - High - Get Off!!!!!!!!

Firing on all cylandars Andrew.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]What we have here is just a friendly little inside competition. Even though both are stubborn, sooner or later, either LAckey or Dice-K will admit that they aren't as grossly incompetant as the other.  Right now, however, the game is on to see who can be the Best at being Worst.
    Posted by SleeStack1[/QUOTE]

What's the score now between Beckett and Lackey?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Andrew,

I won't lie.  I was most pleased to see Lackey get on track last evening.

But I also won't lie, I expected it fairly soon.  Not necessarily last night, but soon.

I know you are aware of the fact the season has 162 regular season games.  And each of the 5 starters will get 30-33 starts, barring injury. 

I don't see how, even with maybe a few bad starts early, that you give up so easily.

Are the bad games frustrating?  Of course.

Are they cause for such negative focus?  No.  The way you call things, countless big leadgue players would be gone ...  It is a game of surges, streaks, and such.  

Heck, the way you see things, St Louis should have dumped Pujols after his slow start.  He's hot (or heating up) now, but he started historically slow for him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

posted at 4/24/2011 6:45 PM EDT
    losmediasrojas
    First: 9/11/2009
    Last: 4/24/2011
    In Response to The John Lackey Thread:
    If this guy can't go 5+ Innings without allowing fewer than 4 Runs I think it's time to seriously reconsider the John Lackey experiment.  IE Something drastic should at least be considered. Let's give him a chance tonight but man, this guy is on thin ice and every baserunner he allows could certainly be his last IMO; or should I say if I were the decision-maker.  I'd hate to be pitching under these circumstances too but then again, I am not the one with an ERA rapididly approaching 20.00 !!!!
    Posted by andrewmitch

THANK

GOD!

AMEN AND

AMEN!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts