The last week of ST--Any Trades or DFA's or options you predict? Final 25.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The last week of ST--Any Trades or DFA's or options you predict? Final 25.

I think Bailey may be in NY Opening Day. I thought he might be traded.

I don't think Bard will make the cut; he's not ready yet. Lava, Holt, will be with the PawSox.

Gomez, Overbay will be DFA'd--hopefully Gomez will clear waivers. Maybe Overbay traded.

Sweeney is a bubble guy--depends on JBJ's status. I think Swee is--DFA'd

I would like to see:

Gomes DH, Ells in LF, JBJ in CF and ShaVic in RF.

WMB, Iggy, Pedroia and Nap.

Bench: Ross, Carp, Nava and Ciriaco.

Pen: Hanny, Ue, Taz, Ace, Bailey, Miller, Mort. Our 5 starters are in place.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: The last week of ST--Any Trades or DFA's or options you predict? Final 25.

Agree on all counts except I think Overbay needs to be released if he's not on the 25 man roster next week. I think the Yankees snap him up in a New York minute.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Agree on all counts except I think Overbay needs to be released if he's not on the 25 man roster next week. I think the Yankees snap him up in a New York minute.

I think you're right about the Yankees.

The Brewers were rumored to be interested in Overbay--perhaps for a PTBNL?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

There will be some activity......  I still hope it will rise to a significant "BLOCKBUSTER", one way or another !!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Overbay can elect FA if he's not added to 25 out of ST. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Cherington: "Sorry Overbay, but we are going to let you go.........."

Overbay: "Thank you for the opportunity."

One minute later,.....

Cashman: "Hey Lyle what's up?  It's Brian Cashman of the New York Yankees!!!  I have some great news for you!!!"

LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Mauro Gomez still has 2 options left, so there is no need to "clear waivers".

Papi, Drew, Morales and Breslow on the DL will put off the major decisions on the pen (Mortensen is out of options/ Tazawa is not). When Papi returns, an OF'er has to go (JBJ for his 12 days needed in AAA to keep the extra year of control, but then what?) or Sweeney/Nava (1 option left). When Drew returns, sadly Iggy will be sent down, so he "can play everyday".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

1. Ellsbury CF

2. Victorino RF

3. Pedroia 2B

4. Napoli 1B

5. Middlebrooks 3B

6. Gomes DH

7. Saltalamacchia C

8. Bradley Jr. LF

9. Iglesias SS

Bench: Ross, Ciriaco, Nava, Carp

1. Lester

2. Buchholz

3. Dempster

4. Doubront

5. Lackey

Bullpen: Aceves, Miller, Mortensen, Tazawa, Uehara, Bailey, Hanrahan

DL: Ortiz, Drew, Morales, Breslow, Maier

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Papi, Drew, Morales and Breslow on the DL will put off the major decisions on the pen (Mortensen is out of options/ Tazawa is not). When Papi returns, an OF'er has to go (JBJ for his 12 days needed in AAA to keep the extra year of control, but then what?) or Sweeney/Nava (1 option left). When Drew returns, sadly Iggy will be sent down, so he "can play everyday".

Moon.....  I still say that Jacoby, Salty, Aceves, Bard ..... could surprise, and be on the move !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Moon.....  I still say that Jacoby, Salty, Aceves, Bard ..... could surprise, and be on the move !!!

Bill, when is the last time you saw a deal of that size, pulled off two weeks before Opening Day?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to bgomez's comment:

1. Ellsbury CF

2. Victorino RF

3. Pedroia 2B

4. Napoli 1B

5. Middlebrooks 3B

6. Gomes DH

7. Saltalamacchia C

8. Bradley Jr. LF

9. Iglesias SS

1. Lester

2. Buchholz

3. Dempster

4. Doubront

5. Lackey

There is no way I want to see Victorino bat 2nd vs RHPs (about 65% of the games), so I'd slide Bradley there. Also, Gomes should not even play vs most RHPs, so I'd see Nava at DH vs RHPs. He walks a ton vs them. D Ross plays vs all LHPs and some righties. JBJ in CF- Ells in LF.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Bill, when is the last time you saw a deal of that size, pulled off two weeks before Opening Day?

4BEES.......  I hear you.....  Not saying that they would all go, but they do have VALUE and I think that we could get along without them, and perhaps get a "need" in return !!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

4BEES.......  I hear you.....  Not saying that they would all go, but they do have VALUE and I think that we could get along without them, and perhaps get a "need" in return !!

Unless some contending team has a major injury, I think rosters are pretty well set right now. We missed the window for your "blockbuster". Maybe at the dedline we will see something big, or a few moderate deals.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

1. Ellsbury CF

2. Victorino RF

3. Pedroia 2B

4. Napoli 1B

5. Middlebrooks 3B

6. Gomes DH

7. Saltalamacchia C

8. Bradley Jr. LF

9. Iglesias SS

1. Lester

2. Buchholz

3. Dempster

4. Doubront

5. Lackey

There is no way I want to see Victorino bat 2nd vs RHPs (about 65% of the games), so I'd slide Bradley there. Also, Gomes should not even play vs most RHPs, so I'd see Nava at DH vs RHPs. He walks a ton vs them. D Ross plays vs all LHPs and some righties. JBJ in CF- Ells in LF.

personally, when JBJ does get to the MLB i think he should bat leadoff. Sure Ells is the best leadoff guy in the game but i think he would be better served in the middle of the order.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

1. Ellsbury CF

2. Victorino RF

3. Pedroia 2B

4. Napoli 1B

5. Middlebrooks 3B

6. Gomes DH

7. Saltalamacchia C

8. Bradley Jr. LF

9. Iglesias SS

1. Lester

2. Buchholz

3. Dempster

4. Doubront

5. Lackey

personally, when JBJ does get to the MLB i think he should bat leadoff. Sure Ells is the best leadoff guy in the game but i think he would be better served in the middle of the order.

+1 You've gotta love a leadoff guy that can get on base 40% of the time.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Ells is the best leadoff guy in the game but i think he would be better served in the middle of the order.

"Ells" is not even close to being "the best leadoff guy in the game". His game in 2012 and every year in his career but 2011 doesn't make him the "best leadoff guy in the game".

There is no chance Red Sox managment is going to put Bradley in LF. He's going to the minors, and fans who didn't protest have no business pretending that he's "in my lineup". No, he's in the minors, pal.

hes only going there for 11 days. so the majority of my lineups will include JBJ.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Ells is not the best leadoff guy in the game---it's been at least two years since that could have been the claim.  He's a good player but not the best CF or the top spot in the batting order.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Sox do have some parts that could be moved within the week:

Overbay

Carp--I would hate to see him moved-he can play.

Bard

Doubrount

Butler

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Overbay was granted his release.

Lou Merloni was talking this morning about having to clear two 40 man roster slots for ??Sweeney and JBJ--Why Sweeney--but okay-- and who will be released. There are many pitchers on the 40 and many catchers along with an outfielder that hasn't shown much--Hassan. Very simple Hassan and Butler or a pitcher--DFA--most likely all three would clear.

In fact why isn't this a great time to clear some 40 man slots anyway--there will be some pretty good players cut in the next few days. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Aceves or Mortenson will be gone by opening day, IMO.  I prefer it to be Aceves, but Mortenson may have more trade value.  Now that Overbay is gone, I think that Carp is the most redundant of the three:  Nava, Sweeney, Carp.  And he is the least talented defensively.  However, my guess is that Sweeney is gone.  The Mets need OFers desperately.  Carp or Sweeney (even Nava if the offer is good enough) ought to be tradeable, rather than released for nothing.  However, with Sweeney's opt out in two days I'm not sure Ben has his cards in order enough.

My hope...Aceves and Carp are traded to Mets for AA pitching prospect and organizational depth at 1b.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not many big moves are done this close to opening day. Most teams are struggling to decide on what player they like must be cut. 

I do think trading Bailey or Aceves seems the most likely, but I would like to see (zero chance) Ellsbury & Bailey to Texas for David Murphy and a top prospect.

Murphy plays LF, JBJ CF, Gomes at DH, and Tazawa on the 25 man roster. Many issues solved with one trade. (Plus, more cash freed up for a salary dump pick up in July, if needed.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Murphy would be an excellent "get" I have difficulty seeing Texas move him. I realize they have need in the pen and Bailey has been pitching well. Of the two I would prefer to see Aceves stay because of his versatility.

BenC has difficulty managing his roster and he waits too long to get things moving. Not that it's a big issue with Overbay or Sweeney( if he's released in a couple of days) not getting anything in return--it's just that he waits for teams to come to him as opposed to him being aggressive and taking the initiative in making a move.

Ex. what would it take to obtain Murphy? It will take Brentz and Bailey. How about Murphy and   a  top AA pitching prospect. That will work.

Then take the next step; move Ells for a good pen guy and a Top prospect to replace Bailey.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Murphy would be an excellent "get" I have difficulty seeing Texas move him. I realize they have need in the pen and Bailey has been pitching well. Of the two I would prefer to see Aceves stay because of his versatility.

BenC has difficulty managing his roster and he waits too long to get things moving. Not that it's a big issue with Overbay or Sweeney( if he's released in a couple of days) not getting anything in return--it's just that he waits for teams to come to him as opposed to him being aggressive and taking the initiative in making a move.

Ex. what would it take to obtain Murphy? It will take Brentz and Bailey. How about Murphy and   a  top AA pitching prospect. That will work.

Then take the next step; move Ells for a good pen guy and a Top prospect to replace Bailey.

Murphy's not that great, but he's a nice fit for us, just as Ellsbury and Bailey are good fits for Texas. I was interested more in the top  prospect (not Profar, of course) from Texas than Murphy. I'm not sure if they'd want Nava to fill Murph's slot, but I would consider trading Ells, Brentz and bailey for Murphy and a very nice top prospect or two. (Maybe a 3rd team could be roped in.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Moon--Murphy may not be a great player but he was one of us, drafted by the Sox, and is the type of guy that has been in the playoffs, sprays the ball, has some speed and a good arm--in addition he can play the corner OF positions with occasional pop. If we could pick him up it would be a good move. Concern---he is in his walk year just like Ells.

Sections
Shortcuts