The Latest on the Mike Napoli Situation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Latest on the Mike Napoli Situation

The latest situation in the Napoli hold up seems to be (as reported by Will Carroll of SI, previously of Baseball Prospectus) that the Red Sox are very concerned about his hip, so as to reduce the contract to two years. Napoli's camp says no.

If this is the case and there is an issue with the physical, walk away. Period. Have some pelota's in your negotiation and walk. Go talk to Adam LaRoche about a two year deal and be done with it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: The Latest on the Mike Napoli Situation

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The latest situation in the Napoli hold up seems to be (as reported by Will Carroll of SI, previously of Baseball Prospectus) that the Red Sox are very concerned about his hip, so as to reduce the contract to two years. Napoli's camp says no.

If this is the case and there is an issue with the physical, walk away. Period. Have some pelota's in your negotiation and walk. Go talk to Adam LaRoche about a two year deal and be done with it.

[/QUOTE]

I'd hesitate even for two years. Go with Salty, Ross/Lavarnway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Considering how hard Sox went after Napoli there must be a major issue with his hip.  Can't see him catching much with that type injury.  Since Papi essentially will DH every day, Napoli must play 1B or be an expensive PH.  Walking away seems like the right move.  Would rather spend that money on Swisher, then add a servicable backup 1B and have some flexibility.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I think the biggest mistake Theo made was signing Lackey despite the Sox knowing there was serious damage in his elbow.  Putting in a TJ clause?  Great, we get an extra year for free assuming he's even able to come back.  But the 2010 return was pedestrian, 2011 disasterous and 2012 non-existent.

I think Napoli has the potential to be a really good player for the Sox, but if there is real concern about his health they have to walk away.  We've been strugling with injuries for years as it is.  And part of his value would be catching against the NL so a hip problem is even more concerning.  It's not as if they can't find a decent alternative for $13m/year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Stand a hard line on the two years.......though I suspect they will go 3 and we will see him on and off the DL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Let Napoli walk away.  

Go after a pitcher such as Marcum.  And get Swisher who can play both OF and 1B.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I would rather that they give up on Napoli and trade for Kendrys Morales.

Another thought:

Trade Morales to the Angels for Kendrys Morales and Vernon Wells. Have the Angels eat approximately $15M/year of Wells contract. We get him for two years at $6M/year and it clears up the Angels bench problems.

Would you rather have Wells in right or Gomes?

Morales at first and DH if Papi goes down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would rather that they give up on Napoli and trade for Kendrys Morales.[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking about this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would rather that they give up on Napoli and trade for Kendrys Morales.

Another thought:

Trade Morales to the Angels for Kendrys Morales and Vernon Wells. Have the Angels eat approximately $15M/year of Wells contract. We get him for two years at $6M/year and it clears up the Angels bench problems.

Would you rather have Wells in right or Gomes?

Morales at first and DH if Papi goes down.

[/QUOTE]

OK, skip the last thought about getting Wells too. He is fairly useless at this point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A physical revealed an issue w JBAY's knee.  JBAY's knee has not acted up.  A physical revealed an issue w JD Drew's shoulder.  However, JD's shoulder never acted up.  

Throw a protection clause in there and move on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

MIKE WHO ??????  WE HARDLY KNEW THEE !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

do you have the link?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I like the Napoli signing but if they found something wrong with his hip...then I would hold strong on 2 years or have an out clause.  I'm shocked nobody has said this yet but FINALLY the medical team seems to be on top of something with this team for a change!!!!!! I would hold strong...now that it's out that he has an issue....he HAS to know there is no other team that will spend that much on him.  The Sox are in a VERY strong drivers seat right now.  If he doesn't like it...give the money to Swisher.  He has been very solid and avoids injury....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

In response to redsoxfan28's comment:

do you have the link?

https://twitter.com/injuryexpert/status/279315481524064256

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Let him walk. He's on the wrong side of 30 w/ what your team Dr thinks may be a problem hip. This is a no-brainer. It's not like Napoli is some perenial all-star.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Remember, this is the guy the Rangers, the team that presumably knows him best, didn't want to risk ONE year at 13 million with draft pick compensation if he signed elsewhere. They didn't want him for 1 year, and the Sox jumped in at 3 years for that money before realizing their mistake.

Duh.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this has been another farcical moment brought to you by GM Ben "Clouseau" Cherington

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

We Traded Medics At The Winter Meetings, Good Catch..Sign Him.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this has been another farcical moment brought to you by GM Ben "Clouseau" Cherington

[/QUOTE]

Doesnt sound that way to me.... if they had signed him and found out about it later then yes but tell me how it is now??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

He's not that important. Hold your ground or let him go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let Napoli walk away.  

Go after a pitcher such as Marcum.  And get Swisher who can play both OF and 1B.  

[/QUOTE]

Or trade for Morse, who is essentially the same hitter as Napoli...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to Firefligh2008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Napoli fails his physical then forget about him. Not much to argue about here.

[/QUOTE]

1St Base 25/30Hrs, Lets Get Loney Back Yah Think.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sop let me get this straight.  you were mad when Cherington signed him, and now you are upset that Napoli's physical did not turn out so good?  

So if this scenario plays out and the Sox renege on Napoli's deal, I bet you will blame Cherington for Napoli failing a physical.  and then when they sign/trade for another 1B, you will hate that guy and be the first one yelling "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!? YOU HAD NAPOLI!!!!!"

Book it.