The long hot summer ahead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

The long hot summer ahead

Accept me please as realistic Sox follower since the days of Ted Williams.. So far it has been great!... A pleasant unexpected reality...Iglesias hitting four hundred, Nava 50rbis ...Buch, Lester and Lackey back on track ... Etc... But can this magical reality keep going after the ASG?... dont think so...yet we have a great chance to end up as the big winner, provided, imho, that we get more talent to fill in present or predictable holes, such as a solid run producer behind Pedroia and Papi... A true established closer like Paps... An also solid third baseman ( Iglesias at short forever)...another quality starter...and so forth...Forget Napoli and Drew!...Now, to get such talent, we must give potential talent!... Also to spend  sound dollars...There is no other way!!!

to make a short list of untouchables headed by Bogaert? Yes... No doubt... But there is lot of atractive farm products to offer...plus Liverpool pounds to spread around... The key issue is: do we want just  a contender or a WS ring?....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: The long hot summer ahead

Bullpen help is the main need right now. Sox have a couple internal options they can try and are rumored to be interested in LHP Matt Thornton from CWS for the pen...We lead in almost every offensive category and have good depth. Starting pitching hasn't been a problem either. I wouldnt give up anything for Paps or a pitcher like Garza. Garza is not that much of an upgrade to be worth the cost in prospects and hes the best available pitcher at this years deadline.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

We are in the long hot summer already.  By the All-Star break the Sox will have just 65 games to play, 40% of the 162.  The Sox have now played 90 games, over half the season, and are still in first place by 4.5 games, still lead MLB in runs scored and OPS, and still have a decent rotation even with Buchholz on the DL.  Why the need for wholesale changes? 

The wish list in the OP is just that--and is certain to cost a bunch of prospects and money.  The lesson from last year is that less is more, or what some folks have called "addition by subtraction."  The Sox dumped two very good offensive players, AGon and Crawford, and the offense improved dramatically this year with Napoli and Nava/Gomes filling in for Agon and CC.  They dumped a former ace, Beckett, and the rotation improved. 

Napoli and Drew have been a real part of this team's success.  Napoli is second on the team in rbi's, and Drew has played a very consistent SS and hit decently, especially lately.  It would be folly to go get another thirdbaseman when Iglesias, Middlebrooks, and Bogaerts are all capable of playing there.  It is even possible Middlebrooks or Bogaerts could end up being that big righty bat to supplement Napoli, Gomes, Pedroia, et al. 

As southpaw777 says, the real need is in the bullpen. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

We are in the long hot summer already.  By the All-Star break the Sox will have just 65 games to play, 40% of the 162.  The Sox have now played 90 games, over half the season, and are still in first place by 4.5 games, still lead MLB in runs scored and OPS, and still have a decent rotation even with Buchholz on the DL.  Why the need for wholesale changes? 

The wish list in the OP is just that--and is certain to cost a bunch of prospects and money.  The lesson from last year is that less is more, or what some folks have called "addition by subtraction."  The Sox dumped two very good offensive players, AGon and Crawford, and the offense improved dramatically this year with Napoli and Nava/Gomes filling in for Agon and CC.  They dumped a former ace, Beckett, and the rotation improved. 

Napoli and Drew have been a real part of this team's success.  Napoli is second on the team in rbi's, and Drew has played a very consistent SS and hit decently, especially lately.  It would be folly to go get another thirdbaseman when Iglesias, Middlebrooks, and Bogaerts are all capable of playing there.  It is even possible Middlebrooks or Bogaerts could end up being that big righty bat to supplement Napoli, Gomes, Pedroia, et al. 

Agree.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Great response....totally agree. There is no need for wholesale changes....Bullpen help is a priority,  especially now with Miller's Injury...Bailey looks to me like he can be productive,just not in the closer role and though I think Koji can do the job, we cannot continue to overwork him. Webster looked decent his last outing and if he continues to improve, when Buch comes back we wopuld have the flexibility of using Doubie in the pen(last resort though, since he has been very good lately)....thorton would be a nice pickup, though I could see the Sox go after Gregg, since he will be less costly prospect wise.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

We are not yet there, it starts after the AS break, it might have started last Friday with torrid west coast trip where we are already down and facing Hernandez today... It will get  hotter that hot after July 31... It will be then when springtime cuties start fading... It is precisely  because we have played 90 games and are ahead that we have the right to earn another WS ring... Please think about this: we need that ring NOW!... We need more talent everywhere to secure that ring, the place we are in today tells us it is not a wishful thinking... Better than to be a contender in 2015, I want that ring now, so go get 4 solid players that can reasonably help us keep or improve the four game we have today! 

Ps everybody let us review this on July 26 after current road trip and looming yanks and rays next series an Fenway... Thanks

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our schedule is not easy, especially after August 1st:

Red= .545+ winning%

Orange= .500 to .544

Blue= .470- .499 or defending MLB Champion

4 @ Sea

3 @ Oak

3 vs NYY

4 vs TBR

3 vs Sea

3 vs AZ

3 @ Hou

4 @ KCR

3 @ Tor

3 vs NYY

3 @ SFG

3 @ LAD

3 vs Bal

3 vs CWS

3 vs Det

4 @ NYY

3 @ TBR

3 vs NYY

3 vs Bal

3 vs Tor

2 @ Col

3 @ Bal

After the two Seattle series (no easy series, esp at Sea), we only have 6 games remaining vs teams under .470.

We will only have 15 games vs teams between .470 and .499 from now on.

Counting Seattle, that makes 28 out of 73 games vs teams under .500.

After August 1st, we have only 6 games vs teams under .470. 

After playing at Houston from August 5-7th, we have only 3 games vs teams under .470 and 15 vs teams between .470 and .499.

Not an easy road ahead.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Better to be a contender this year and not in 2015 too? Sorry, I wouldnt play for one year. We dont need to mortgage the farm for the possibility of winning it this year. Your theory is flawed as I see it. We have one of the best records in baseball with a troubled bullpen and our #1 starter hurt. We lead in almost every offensive category. If there is a trade to upgrade the offense and it makes sense without hurting the future, then ok. I dont see it a a major need though.

When Buch returns we will be that much better and will still have Webster and Aceves there if need be. A couple upgrades in the bullpen to shut things down and we should be fine. No need for Paps. If the Sox didnt want to pay him in years 4 and 5, then why give up prospects to do it now. His velocity is down and hes been blowing a lot of save ops recently. There is no starter on the market that is a game changer. Id stick with what we got.

The Sox have as good a chance as any team with what they have if we just add to the pen. Your solution of giving away all our prospects to "win now" is a recipe for disaster and does nothing for the long term. Remember, nobody was even considering this team as a playoff team. a couple smart moves addressing a major need (bullpen) and we should be fine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

moonslav,

The Sox have played 90 games to date, 17 against under .470 teams and 73 against over .470 teams.    Plus the Sox have played more games period than any other team.  Hardly a walk in the park so far.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moonslav,

The Sox have played 90 games to date, 17 against under .470 teams and 73 against over .470 teams.    Plus the Sox have played more games period than any other team.  Hardly a walk in the park so far.   

I agree, but it doesn't seem to get much better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Better to be a contender this year and not in 2015 too? Sorry, I wouldnt play for one year. We dont need to mortgage the farm for the possibility of winning it this year. Your theory is flawed as I see it. We have one of the best records in baseball with a troubled bullpen and our #1 starter hurt. We lead in almost every offensive category. If there is a trade to upgrade the offense and it makes sense without hurting the future, then ok. I dont see it a a major need though.

When Buch returns we will be that much better and will still have Webster and Aceves there if need be. A couple upgrades in the bullpen to shut things down and we should be fine. No need for Paps. If the Sox didnt want to pay him in years 4 and 5, then why give up prospects to do it now. His velocity is down and hes been blowing a lot of save ops recently. There is no starter on the market that is a game changer. Id stick with what we got.

The Sox have as good a chance as any team with what they have if we just add to the pen. Your solution of giving away all our prospects to "win now" is a recipe for disaster and does nothing for the long term. Remember, nobody was even considering this team as a playoff team. a couple smart moves addressing a major need (bullpen) and we should be fine.

I agree 100%. Get a solid pen arm for some B prospects. Try to get a 3Bman who can hit LHPs well for some B prospects, and hope we stay healthy. Our future looks so bright. We shouldn't blow it on a 2 month rental that may slightly improve our 2013 odds alone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Heres someting reasonable to shoot for. Take 4 of the next 7 on the road, then 2 of 3 from the Yankems after the break. Thatll make you 60-40 after 100 games. Sounds more than doable to me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Heres someting reasonable to shoot for. Take 4 of the next 7 on the road, then 2 of 3 from the Yankems after the break. Thatll make you 60-40 after 100 games. Sounds more than doable to me.

One game at a time, but I hope we are 60-40.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Would you go into August with a line up in which Napoli, Carp, Middlebrooks, Holt, Sanders, Nava or Iglesias MUST play a key role?... oh boy! Would love to be wrong, but not even with Buch and  somebody to bolster the bullpen, could we compete in postseason... Praying for facts that prove me wrong... Let me say it again, pls, to win it all this year is our main priority!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

From a recent twitter:

Daniel Nava (AP)

Hernandez (8-4, 2.69) takes the mound in game one of the series. Hernandez has enjoyed success against the Sox over his career, posting a 6-2 overall record with a 3.18 ERA over 85 innings of work.

Lefty Jon Lester (8-4, 4.41) will face off against Hernandez. Lester has pitched well of late, going seven innings in each of his last two starts, with an ERA of 3.21 over that span.

For full batter vs. starting pitcher matchup information, click here. For complete team coverage,click here.

RED SOX LINEUP

Daniel Nava CF

Jonny Gomes RF

Dustin Pedroia 2B

David Ortiz DH

Mike Napoli 1B

Mike Carp LF

Jarrod Saltalamacchia C

Jose Iglesias SS

Brock Holt 3B

Jon Lester SP

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Would you go into August with a line up in which Napoli, Carp, Middlebrooks, Holt, Sanders, Nava or Iglesias MUST play a key role?... oh boy! Would love to be wrong, but not even with Buch and  somebody to bolster the bullpen, could we compete in postseason... Praying for facts that prove me wrong... Let me say it again, pls, to win it all this year is our main priority!

Have you seen what players some playoff competing teams are putting in their line-ups?

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Detroit: Nobody can beat the Fielder- Cabrera combo, but Detroit also has some mega weak links in their line-up: C- Avila (.583 OPS), LF- Dirks (.667), and nobody on their bench over .716 with 90+ PAs. The 5 through 9 slots have these seasonal OPS: 5- .659, 6- .732, 7- .739, 8- .676, and 9 .721.

In Contrast, the Sox have no slot below .711:

1) .782

2) .756

3) .828

4) .974

5) .720

6) .803

7) .838

8) .711

9) .734

Oakland: 3 guys below .688 (Norris, Soqard, & Reddick), and their line-up full of holes: 1- .801, 2- .664, 3- .697, 4- .747, 5- .839, 6- .807, 7- .789, 8- .644, 9- .578. Imagine having our 3 hitter with a .697 OPS; this board would be insane with bashing.

Texas: A SS with a .585 OPs, a LF'er with a .669 OPS and 2 other guys below .740. The top 3 bench guys under .680. Their line-up has 3 pretty big holes: 1- .738, 2- .588, 3- .758, 4- .883, 5- .776, 6- 701, 7- 808, 8- .670, 9- .757. A 3 hitter at .758. Are you kidding me? Geo would be going ballistic on that.

I won't even touch the Yankee line-up where black holes are swallowing each other up.

Let's have some perspective here. 

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts