The long-term rotation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

The long-term rotation

First, let me say that I know I am putting the cart before the horse, and things like this tend to work themselves out in baseball (via injuries). However, I can foresee some possible awkwardness in the years to come.

If Miller comes up and does a good job, they can't not keep him in the big league rotation. The Sox would love to have two lefties. Assuming Wakefield does not factor into the long-term plans of the front office, what's going to happen, maybe a year or so down the road, if the Sox decide they're better off with Aceves slotted into the rotation as well?

What the hell do they do with Lackey? I think there's a chance he'll be our 6th best starter a year from now. His contract is untradeable. Plus he'll get all whiny if he feels like he's being slighted. Things could get awkward. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

Re: The long-term rotation

when it comes to LACKEY, there is only one way to correct that terrible THEO SIGNING: make it look like an accident.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Lackey's era will continue to fall now that he is healthy.  Everyone will say "how did Lackey turn it around" by August as he slots in with the other pitchers in the rotation with quality starts.  With all his family has been through, how he pitched against the Sox and his bulldog nature, it surprises me that so many Sox fans hate the guy.  He was about where I thought he would be in 2010.  2011 has been rough but I think we will start seeing the best from him in July and beyond.  You know, we could support the guy as a nice change of pace from the usual.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lester, Buchholz, beckett (2014), Lackey(2014), Miller..looks ok to me...Renaudo, Doubront, waiting for an open spot...rotation circa 2014-15 Lester, Buch, Ranaudo, Miller, ? .........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

You make several good points. I actually don't dislike Lackey at all, but I've just about given up on him turning it around. I'd love to see it; I'm just doubtful. He doesn't help his own cause either, constantly saying he felt like "the ball came out of my hand well" after every time he gets hit hard. Still, we may not be far away from the day where he becomes our 6th best starter.

In Response to Re: The long-term rotation:
    [QUOTE]Lackey's era will continue to fall now that he is healthy.  Everyone will say "how did Lackey turn it around" by August as he slots in with the other pitchers in the rotation with quality starts.  With all his family has been through, how he pitched against the Sox and his bulldog nature, it surprises me that so many Sox fans hate the guy.  He was about where I thought he would be in 2010.  2011 has been rough but I think we will start seeing the best from him in July and beyond.  You know, we could support the guy as a nice change of pace from the usual.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

MILLER IS HERE TO STAY!  5-6 YEARS!

YES, IN  BASEBALL, THESE THINGS TEND TO WORK THEMSELVES OUT.

ACEVES IS VERY VALUABLE COMING OUT OF THE PEN IN MULTIPLE ROLES.
    2012 IS LIKELY TO BE WAKES LAST YEAR...COMING OUT OF THE PEN!
    THANK GOD FOR WAKES!  HE HAS PULLED OUR BACON OUT OF THE FIRE TIME AND TIME AGAIN!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]Lackey's era will continue to fall now that he is healthy.  Everyone will say "how did Lackey turn it around" by August as he slots in with the other pitchers in the rotation with quality starts.  With all his family has been through, how he pitched against the Sox and his bulldog nature, it surprises me that so many Sox fans hate the guy.  He was about where I thought he would be in 2010.  2011 has been rough but I think we will start seeing the best from him in July and beyond.  You know, we could support the guy as a nice change of pace from the usual.

Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Hey jim, didn't he have a history of getting shelled at fenway?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

You're looking into a situation that doesn't need to be. Lackey is getting undervalued too early, Aceves and Miller overvalued. This will work itself out by something imploding, like what always happens with starting pitching depth. If Lackey, Miller, and Aceves all really do pitch well, we have one of the best "problems" you can have.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

[QUOTE]You're looking into a situation that doesn't need to be. Lackey is getting undervalued too early, Aceves and Miller overvalued. This will work itself out by something imploding, like what always happens with starting pitching depth. If Lackey, Miller, and Aceves all really do pitch well, we have one of the best "problems" you can have.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right when you say that this will likely work itself out. I mentioned that right away. My question wasn't about what to do if Miller, Aceves and Lackey all pitch well. It was: What do we do if the first two pitch well enough to stay in the rotation, and Lackey continues to struggle over time?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I just don't think that scenario will play out.

Either way, Lackey has a big contract, for the first few years in it, he's in the rotation. Especially because Lackey had a good '10 anyway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Aceves future is as a relief pitcher.

Daisuke is finished as a Red Sox.

Wakefield should be retiring soon.

That's 3 pitchers who have started games this year who should not be factored into future (next year and beyond )plans.

Beckett and Lackey will be here a few seasons. Lester and Buchholz are going nowhere in the foreseeable future. Miller will get a shot and if he does well, he will round out the 5 man rotation nicely with Wake going to the pen and eventually the glue factory.

Where is there a problem?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to The long-term rotation:
    [QUOTE]First, let me say that I know I am putting the cart before the horse, and things like this tend to work themselves out in baseball (via injuries). However, I can foresee some possible awkwardness in the years to come. If Miller comes up and does a good job, they can't not keep him in the big league rotation. The Sox would love to have two lefties. Assuming Wakefield does not factor into the long-term plans of the front office, what's going to happen, maybe a year or so down the road, if the Sox decide they're better off with Aceves slotted into the rotation as well? What the hell do they do with Lackey? I think there's a chance he'll be our 6th best starter a year from now. His contract is untradeable. Plus he'll get all whiny if he feels like he's being slighted. Things could get awkward. Thoughts?
    Posted by RonSwanson[/QUOTE]

Who knows?  The awkwardness may start this season.  That's a good awkwardness with everybody pitching their best and the bar being raised high even for the 5th or 6th starter.  Bring on the awkwardness!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Miller has yet to pitch well at the MLB level, and we are contributing to a thread about his being a Sox starter for years to come.  Wow. 

If a starter doesn't have command of his pitches, he is toast.  And that has been Miller's problem since he turned pro out of UNC.  He might be fixed now, but we'll just have to see. 

Meanwhile, there can be nothing better than too many good starting pitchers.  Nothing.  You can start six guys or put one in the bullpen for long relief or even trade one for another need.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

"because lackey had a good '10 anyway."----nu soxfan

please give me your definition of good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]"because lackey had a good '10 anyway."----nu soxfan please give me your definition of good.
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]
    4.0 WAR (higher than Buchholz's was that year), 215 inning pitched, 1.4 WHIP despite an extremely unlucky .319 BABIP.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]"because lackey had a good '10 anyway."----nu soxfan please give me your definition of good.
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

How about leading the team in quality starts, thus giving his team a chance to win more often than any other Sox starting pitcher?  I certainly think that qualifies as "good".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The long-term rotation : 4.0 WAR (higher than Buchholz's was that year), 215 inning pitched, 1.4 WHIP despite an extremely unlucky .319 BABIP.

Which shows you how flawed WAR can be.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The long-term rotation : Which shows you how flawed WAR can be.
    Posted by --The--Babe---[/QUOTE]
    No it doesn't, Lackey pitched nearly 50 more innings the Buch did last year, giving the bullpen much more rest and which makes us a much better team (too bad we had so many scrubs come out of the pen). If you compare Lackey's 2010 season and Buchholz's 2010 season (BB/9, HR/9, BA against) you'll notice that the only real huge difference between the two was that Lackey had a much higher average against, which is probably from the extremely low BABIP that Buchholz had and the extremely high BABIP that Lackey had.

ERA cannot always be the end all be all stat to determine how a season went. Sure it can tell you the result, but not whether or not a player really performed poorly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The long-term rotation : No it doesn't, Lackey pitched nearly 50 more innings the Buch did last year, giving the bullpen much more rest and which makes us a much better team (too bad we had so many scrubs come out of the pen). If you compare Lackey's 2010 season and Buchholz's 2010 season (BB/9, HR/9, BA against) you'll notice that the only real huge difference between the two was that Lackey had a much higher average against, which is probably from the extremely low BABIP that Buchholz had and the extremely high BABIP that Lackey had. ERA cannot always be the end all be all stat to determine how a season went. Sure it can tell you the result, but not whether or not a player really performed poorly.

Well said!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Let's wait and see if Miller can make three starts without a 1to 1 BB-to-SO ratio before we go nuts about what if's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

"immediate need is to get jenks rolling"--beantowne

based on jenks' physique, ROLLING is the appropriate word.