The Look in Albert's Eyes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I cannot help but think of a parallel of LAA's horrible start this season and the Sox last season.

Great new signings, high expectations .... and the bottom falling out.

There are some talking heads that are saying LAA is already too far out to catch Texas.  Already.

A part of me sort of smiles about it.

But I respect Albert Pujols.  It is almost painful to see the bewilderment in his eyes. 

No HRs, long hitless streak, that ended last night with Albert getting thrown out at second.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The Look in Albert's Eyes

I'll be honest, I'm enjoying Pujols' struggles.  He got greedy and left a city that loved him.  And the Angels were nuts signing him to this long of a deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Never been a big Pujols fan because I hate the Cardinals. Besides that, LAA is much worse off than the Sox were last year. Sox were never more than 5 or 6 out, LAA 9 out now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

You're always paying people based on past performance and can never be sure what you are going to get. But more than likely Pujols is too good a ball player to stay in this funk for much longer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Pujols will soon become one of the hottest hitter in the league.  But signing him for 10 years is the most ridiculous contract ever.  Angels will regret it after four to five years from now.

Well, you re right some of you that the Cardinals are now laughing at him cuz they are in the first place right now.

But we shouldnt be laughing at him cuz we have too many over-paid players on our roster including Lackey and Crawford.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Pujois is a great player, good citizen, but the questions of his ped use have been with him for years.  The mystery of his poor performance almost surely lies in his use or lack of use of the magic substances that have kept him a the top of the game for years.

Look at him and tell anyone with a straight face he has been clean for the last several years. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: The Look in Albert's Eyes:
    [QUOTE]The Look in Albert's Eyes
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

LOL   that's great Tom!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PapiFan. Show PapiFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Look in Albert's Eyes : makes me happy also; good to know that there's another GM as dumb as our previous one. but the crawful signing is still the worst.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

Actually, it really is not close.  Pujols contract is a much bigger albatross then Crawfords.  Also Theo never traded for Vernon Wells and on top of that give away the best hitting catcher in baseball in Mike Napoli for the that horrific contract.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Look in Albert's Eyes : Actually, it really is not close.  Pujols contract is a much bigger albatross then Crawfords.  Also Theo never traded for Vernon Wells and on top of that give away the best hitting catcher in baseball in Mike Napoli for the that horrific contract.
    Posted by PapiFan[/QUOTE]

I think the re-structured 10 years for A-Rod was highly questionable.  Within a year of signing, he started missing huge chunks of playing time. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE] But we shouldnt be laughing at him cuz we have too many over-paid players on our roster including Lackey and Crawford.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Good point. The Angels now are joining the Sox & Yankees with players that have been given terrible contracts. Hopefully the owners and GM's are learning from this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Concord27,

If his perfomance is your only evidence you should refrain from making accusations.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

The look in Albert's eyes when he foolishly tried to stretch a single into a double, and got thrown out, said it all.  He has to be ultra-frustrated - not hitting and not winning, with a fanbase that'll take to the beaches soon!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]I'll be honest, I'm enjoying Pujols' struggles.  He got greedy and left a city that loved him.  And the Angels were nuts signing him to this long of a deal.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    DITTO !

Isn't it the sin of schadenfreude ( sic ?) to take pleasure in another's pain ?
    Oh well, misery ( Crawford, Lackey, Jenks ) loves company.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]I'll be honest, I'm enjoying Pujols' struggles.  He got greedy and left a city that loved him.  And the Angels were nuts signing him to this long of a deal.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I support this statement in its entirety.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

One of the things I think will hit Albert right between the eyes was just how hard it is to hit a ball out in Anaheim at night with the marine layer. The Big A and Dodger Stadium aren't huge parks but they play huge at night.

But this is just a slow start in general  and while it has a lot of people scratching their heads, then again many thought that David Ortiz was done back in late April 2009.

The length of Albert's contract is absurd of course. What has to trouble any GM is when they do a player contract with dead money on the back-end and aren't getting the full value on the front end.

Our own CC is a case in point. IMO the RS were prepared for years 6 and 7 to be bad values but anticipated a GG LF with a 800 plus OPS and 40 SB for the first few years of the contract.

CC's sample set is getting big enough to worry about it being a mega-stinker deal, Albert's not so much.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I would think that most of these mega deals strike out. Reggie Jax was a good one (although his Yankee teammates wouldn't agree), but that was a long time ago, and hiis contract was peanuts compared to today. I can't even think of a plus mega contract, at least in the last decade or more. I'm sure there is, but who?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I would think that most of these mega deals strike out. Reggie Jax was a good one (although his Yankee teammates wouldn't agree), but that was a long time ago, and hiis contract was peanuts compared to today. I can't even think of a plus mega contract, at least in the last decade or more. I'm sure there is, but who?
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]Manny Ramirez for all the drama was a very productive signing for the Red Sox and at the time it was the richest deal ever given to an OFer.