The magic of Iglesias . . . .

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The magic of Iglesias . . . .

. . . is vastly overhyped.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him start because of the chance to watch him play defense. 

But shortstops do not, repeat, do not instantly transform pitching staffs.  They help only on the margins. 

That said, MLB is also entertainment, and one of the most entertaining MLB players of the last 50 years was Ozzie Smith.  That's the basis for playing Iglesias.  Not run prevention, which won't happen very often.  And certainly not his hitting, which might well be nonexistent.  But, yes, the enjoyment for the fans of watching a maestro at work if indeed he is one. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: The magic of Iglesias . . . .

Ozzie was a career 262 hitter. I could see him being more of a Mark Belanger.  A career .228 hitter.

And career 228 hitter don't play in Boston.

I really don't think this kid is ever going to start here, Ciriaco and Aviles are both better options.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Sure!  The kid is 0 - 12 so far, but you can really see him trying to get comfortable up at the plate.

Guys need to be patient with a TALENT like this boy.  Smart fans will give him 324 games to get comfortable in the box.  Then he will rake at a respectable .235, saving 1 or 2 runs per homestand.  While rare, it will be a delight to watch him flash the leather on those occasions.

Just give the kid a chance!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

For most of his career, Ozzie Smith did reasonably well offensively:

.276-1985
    .280-1986
    .303-1987
    .270-1988
    .273-1989
    .285-1991
    .295-1992
    .288-1993
    .282-1996

I think the low batting averages in his first 7 years and the .199 in 1995 ( his 2nd to last year) brought his career average lower.

The perception that Ozzie Smith was strictly a defensive player is false.

If Iglesias is going to make it in MLB , he is going to have to learn hitting for average.

I think Mark Belager might have been a better example of a weak hitting shortstop. His highest BA was .270.....and this was an exceptional year for Belanger who spent most of his career batting near or below the "Mendoza line."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Many have struck the wall with HEAT STROKE over this brutal summer.  Blankly staring off in the distance at the Iggy MIRAGE! 

Meanwhile.....  We've got the answer right in our line-up.  A guy who is PROVING day in & day out that he can not only flash the leather, but also is a VERY SOUND, if not exceptional hitter.  A guy hitting .333 over 1/3 of a season with an OPS of .800+ & some pop.  A guy with SPEED.  THE guy who really can get to those balls up the middle.

We already know the guys focused on the mirage.  Let's hope our GM isn't!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

you can't say _it????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

We already saw this game before with Pokey Reese and Alex Gonzalez.  No matter how good with the glove you are, you have to bring a bat.  We didn't keep Alex Gonzalez when he represented a better bat than Iglesias has.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

you can't say _it????

I have posted a message to BDC Dottie on the "talk to BDC" forum about this.

I hope that this is a glitch. because I had to revise my post 3 times to remove the word for striking a ball with a baseball bat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Trade him while he has value. I've never understood the hype, low .200 shortstops with good gloves aren't exaclty uncommon. Ride the Ciriaco train til Boegarts, the real shortstop of the future, is developed into an MLB level talent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i think deven marrero will be better...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

With  Jose VinicioDeven MarreroTzu-Wei Lin and  Jose Iglesias the Red Sox seemed to have an obsession with slick fielding short stops with no power and who don't get on base too often.  We basically have four players who project to be utility infielders in the long run.

Xander Bogaerts is the only real solution at short stop that we have in house.  Let's continue to try and showcase Iglesias in the show to set him up for a trade in the off season.  That being said, who wants a short stop who can't h.it a lick and with no power?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

With  Jose VinicioDeven MarreroTzu-Wei Lin and  Jose Iglesias the Red Sox seemed to have an obsession with slick fielding short stops with no power and who don't get on base too often.  We basically have four players who project to be utility infielders in the long run.

Xander Bogaerts is the only real solution at short stop that we have in house.  Let's continue to try and showcase Iglesias in the show to set him up for a trade in the off season.  That being said, who wants a short stop who can't h.it a lick and with no power?

We ALL KNEW Iggy couldn't h.it.  Now he's proving it in his showcase!!!  How does that help set him up for a trade????  He was better left as a MIRAGE!  Perhaps we could have sold him that way???  NOW????  Please!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

Aviles are both better options.

Aviles is a bum who reflects how pitiful the Red Sox are. He's not a SS, he's a AAA/backup middle infielder with an OBP that would make Mendoza proud.

Iglesias can field the position well. Ciriaco and Iglesias and Pedroia should move on to 2013. Aviles needs to be thrown in the Red Sox dumpster and packaged as the SS that Red Sox fans raved about when his bandwagon loaded up in the spring.

Cherry is as incompetent as InEpstein, when it comes to SS. Is Alex Cora still available?

Iggy, Ciriaco, & Pedey??  Really? Wrong again! So where does Middlebrooks go? 

It will be....

Middy at 3rd
    Ciriaco at SS
    Pedey at 2nd

Iggy back to Pawtucket.  I just hope he has some value left now that he's been exposed in this dream "showcase."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Aviles are both better options.

Aviles is a bum who reflects how pitiful the Red Sox are. He's not a SS, he's a AAA/backup middle infielder with an OBP that would make Mendoza proud.

Iglesias can field the position well. Ciriaco and Iglesias and Pedroia should move on to 2013. Aviles needs to be thrown in the Red Sox dumpster and packaged as the SS that Red Sox fans raved about when his bandwagon loaded up in the spring.

Cherry is as incompetent as InEpstein, when it comes to SS. Is Alex Cora still available?

Right.  Aviles isn't a SS.  Yet he still beat out Iggy for the job.  I agree completely how much that shows Iggy is not ready.  

Also how can someone be "thrown in the dumpster and packaged as the SS"  You write a lot of words but you rarely say anything.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Middle infield, mental midget. Pedoria, Ciriaco and Iglesias. As for what the Red Sox do about the starting SS and the UIF'er, keeping the bum Aviles and sending Iglesias back to AAA would be the definiation of idiocy. Iglesias will learn nothing more from minor league baseball. They either need to trade him or use him as a middle infielder.

Who is "middy", you jocular junior high schooler. Will Middlebrooks was made the starting 3B later than he should have been. Are you incapable of making a comment without the obvious or the idiocy.

Right.  You said "Avilles is a backup middle infielder."  With that I agree.  You said nothing about Iggy, Pedey, & Ciriaco being strictly middle infield.  Sure!  Iggy could field the position, but his hitting will consistently take him out of the line-up.  I just hope we can deal him now that you've gotten your "showcase?"  I just look forward to watching you squirm for the next few years over yet another pathetic "GM" call about a players potential.  It's so much fun!  :) 

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

At this point, Jed Lowrie was supposed to be the slugging SS for the Red Sox. GM was on the money, both times.

Iglesias has been called up before. There is no such thing as a "showcase". That's a baseball fantasy mental midget's term. Absurd to claim that "hiding him in AAA" will help teams from finding out that he is a younger than Aviles weak hitting middle infielder.

How is the Red Sox franchise player doing.

You need a comma after the word Aviles.  Also I assume your last sentence was a question.  You need a question mark at the end of that sentence.  

They let anyone be a lawyer these days.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Also how can someone be "thrown in the dumpster and packaged as the SS"

Ask InEpstein about Jenks and Hermida, to name a few. The new upper management on the north side of crookedtown can tell you all about it.

I don't say anything on a message board, I write. When you write, your catatonic trolling is incoherent.

"packaged as the SS" makes no sense my friend.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We have a lot of SS who might actually emerge but I have to admit that Iglesias's stock has dropped. He is still very young though and the defense is there. His batting fundementals are not that bad. He just needs more "man strength" which should come eventually and he needs to take the ball to RF more. I think he eventually becomes a .260 average guy in mlb. He still might end up our guy. I like Vinicio quite a bit also.

The real issue the FO must be struggling with is what to do with Bogaerts. The kid is very athletic and seems committed to improving defensively and he is also a middle of the order bat. Most analysts predict he moves off the position but if a guy like him emerges to his full potential at SS we are looking at a major plus in creating aq championship level team. One could even say that the development of guys like Barnes, Bogaerts, Bradley and even La Rosa and Webster might be key to this turnaround. De La Rosa might end up being the most valuable of them all ( one of the PTBNL guys in the Adrian Gonzalez / Crawford/Beckett/Punto trade ). I'm not predicting that but we have potentially a top 5 farm as of right now IMO. Maybe top 3.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

At this point, Jed Lowrie was supposed to be the slugging SS for the Red Sox. GM was on the money, both times.

Iglesias has been called up before. There is no such thing as a "showcase". That's a baseball fantasy mental midget's term. Absurd to claim that "hiding him in AAA" will help teams from finding out that he is a younger than Aviles weak hitting middle infielder.

How is the Red Sox franchise player doing.

You'll do anything to avoid the issue.  Should Iggy be the starting SS next year for the Sox?  The correct answer is NO!  I think the Sox should go with Ciriaco all the way.  PERIOD!  You say Iggy.  We'll see!  Either way, you will weasel out of it when you are wrong.  Keeping him as a backup is simply ridiculous.  It slows his development if he is ever to learn how to h.it, which I doubt he ever does.  He clearly needs another year in the minors.  You don't see it?  No problem. 

As for our franchise player Ells.  He is going to be an all-star with whoever he ends up with.  I would offer him $ 16 M for 5. Perhaps $17 / 5

Otherwise???  They better deal him soon!  I'm not overinvested in overpaying him.  I would like to see the Sox make him an offer now.  Waiting gets you nothing.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Softy makes me want to become a Democrat!!! 

Sections
Shortcuts