The media's treatment of this team is just not warranted

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: The media's treatment of this team is just not warranted

You guys are missing the point.  The $ only has to do with showing how much $ this team generates because of the passion of the fan base!  The fan base is rabid, & has been for decades!  This has caused a good businessman to realize how much this franchise is worth.  They know they can make big $ because the fans are willing to pay for product, the tv rights, all the merchandise, etc.............  Including listening to any venue that covers the RS, i.e. radio & tv.

THE POINT, that I was responding to was this.......

"The media should understand that the only

reason they have a job is because of the Red Sox.
    Without the team they would be writing about Mrs. Robinsons poodle pooping in the street and how she didnt clean it up. lol The media needs to get a life."
    Posted by:  Mchampion

***  Sorry you disagree!  I simply think he has it backward, & said so.  The players have their high salaries because fans spend and enormous amount of money supporting and following the RS.  The organization is getting rich off of all this spending by the fans, and they pay high salaries in an attempt to field a MORE THAN competitive team.  FACT!  They try not to spend big $$$  to acquire players who are underperforming, as several on this team are doing.

I never said spending big $ guarantees a great winning team!  It is supposed to better the odds in competing, thus making it more likely that the team goes deep into the playoffs. 

Whether or not a team spends big $, when players come to camp out of shape, sustain needless injuries, and seriously underperform, fans will be unhappy!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: The media's treatment of this team is just not warranted:
    In Response to Re: The media's treatment of this team is just not warranted : In essence you are venting about something you have no personal knowledge about. How can you say that he clearly has a lousy work habit? How much time do you spend with Beckett each day and what proof do you have to back up your claim. This statement was pushed by the media and is being used by many like yourself as a tool to push what you believe on others. My venting is the product of all these unfounded claims. Produce your evidence and prove me wrong!             As far as Beckets attitude, I would be the same way if everyone who wanted to interview me was prosecuting me in public. Best defense is to avoid them. If you truly follow the team and root got them through thick and thin then you should be able to see through the media’s sensationalist attitude towards Becket and the underachievers
    Posted by taz1956

Dude!  I don't need the media to tell me that Beckett looks overweight & out of shape!  I don't need the media to tell me that he seems to have a bad attitude. 

I guess you need something in writing to tell YOU what your own eyes can see, & what YOUR OWN ears hear.  NOT ME!

It's an OPINION!!!  What don't you understand about that????  You have yours, & I have mine!  I have no problem with YOU thinking I'm full of s hit.  I have my opinion, & couldn't care less what you think of it.

Lighten up Francis  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to The media's treatment of this team is just not warranted:
    I am not going to sit here and tell you this Red Sox team, like every other team in baseball, is not without its flaws.   I am also not going to sit here and tell you this Red Sox team, like a lot of other teams, doesn’t deal with some issues in the clubhouse.   Having said that, the media’s harsh criticisms of the team – that a lot of the fans sadly buy into – is just not warranted.   Take Dennis and Callahan, for instance. I listened to them this morning for about five minutes and it was all Beckett bashing, bashing the front office for still thinking they are in the race, etc.   This team is just 3.5 games out of the wild card, and while I would not count on them to win the AL East, they are really only a few wins away from at least having a pulse in the division.   Having said that, the majority of discussion in print and on the radio is endless bashing of the front office, the manager and the players, when the truth of the matter is that the Red Sox are right there in the hunt.   The regular season is now going to be a grind. Other teams have been better. Gone are the days where the likes of the Sox and Yankees are going to have this Grand Canyonesque gap in talent over the rest of the league.   To show how close the league now is, the top 17 teams record-wise in all of MLB are only separated by 9.5 games.   I am not going to sit here and say that everything is sunshine and kittens with the Red Sox. But this endless bashing of the team really needs to stop.
    Posted by Zetterberg80

Zett, I will give you the same treatment that other regulars give posters like you when someone CRITICZES the team on this forum...

thanks for enlightening us with your EIGHT posts....funny I didnt see that comment after you rah rahing...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I don't mind losing - I mind what I am seeing out of the Sox now.  I watch every single game and I am not happy with what I see. I pay $200 a year for MLB Extra Innings so I can watch NESN, I buy new Sox hats and T-shirts every year.  My kids all have Sox hats, Tees and backpacks.  Their little league team is the Red Sox.  I buy my dad tickets to every Orioles home game when the Sox come to town in Baltimore.  That said...I feel I have earned the right to complain whenever I want to.  I have been a loyal fan since Williams, suffered the heartaches of being a loser and never seeing the WS trophy.  Now that I have drank the good champagne...I don't want to have to go back to the cheap stuff.  This season is what it is and flavoring it in the paper one way or the other doesn't matter.  Don't blame the writers for the way the fans feel...that is like saying the fans are too dumb to see how bad the Sox are this year without some help. I just feel the 3rd highest payroll in MLB should sport a better team than I am seeing. I don't see anyone feeling sorry for Philadelphia and don't expect they will feel sorry for the Sox.  Win or lose they are my team...I will complain when they lose and brag when they win...that is just the way it is.
    Posted by traven

Well put traven!  I agree with most of this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: The media's treatment of this team is just not warranted : Dude!  I don't need the media to tell me that Beckett looks overweight & out of shape!  I don't need the media to tell me that he seems to have a bad attitude.  I guess you need something in writing to tell YOU what your own eyes can see, & what YOUR OWN ears hear.  NOT ME! It's an OPINION!!!  What don't you understand about that????  You have yours, & I have mine!  I have no problem with YOU thinking I'm full of s hit.  I have my opinion, & couldn't care less what you think of it. Lighten up Francis  :)
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog

Is Prince Fielder ve weght and outof hape? ABSOLUTELY. Body size has minimal if any effect on performance. Baseballis full of guys who are not in shape or at least what some think is in shape.
    Is CC in shape, is Miguel Cabrea in shape...... Not all players look like chiseled Greek Gods.
    I also wonder were the bad attitude that people s eak of comes from. I watch games and see him up front when a guy makes a good play and scores a run. I'll also add Lackey since last year many complained Jake was not with the team when rehabbing Lakey is in the dugout every game. So Lackey is bad and e is there every game Jake is bad and he is not there.
    I have always believed there is a double standard for RS players and some will never be looked at the same way as other players no matter what they do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to The media's treatment of this team is just not warranted : Zett, I will give you the same treatment that other regulars give posters like you when someone CRITICZES the team on this forum... thanks for enlightening us with your EIGHT posts....funny I didnt see that comment after you rah rahing...
    Posted by georom4

I'll take a new poster's thoughts over the mindless circle jerk that some of the regulars turn every thread into.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: The media's treatment of this team is just not warranted : Is Prince Fielder ve weght and outof hape? ABSOLUTELY. Body size has minimal if any effect on performance. Baseballis full of guys who are not in shape or at least what some think is in shape. Is CC in shape, is Miguel Cabrea in shape...... Not all players look like chiseled Greek Gods. I also wonder were the bad attitude that people s eak of comes from. I watch games and see him up front when a guy makes a good play and scores a run. I'll also add Lackey since last year many complained Jake was not with the team when rehabbing Lakey is in the dugout every game. So Lackey is bad and e is there every game Jake is bad and he is not there. I have always believed there is a double standard for RS players and some will never be looked at the same way as other players no matter what they do.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

Good points Jim!  No problem with your opinion!!

My bad opinions of guys like Beckett, LACKEY, Dice-K, J.D. Drew, Lester (to some extent), & several others is based on watching every minute of ST & the regular season.  Watching what they say, do, & what they look like when they come into the season, & how they look throughout the year.  Their demeanor on the bench, & how they respond to situations & "injuries."  I watch a great deal, & come to my opinions on my own.  Occasionally I will hear things that seem to support or even confirm my opinions.  sometimes my opinions are based on intuition or deductive reasoning.  MY OPINIONS are obviously not flawless!!!!  There have been many times I've been proven WRONG!  DEAD WRONG!  As was the case in the first several months when Pedey was first called up.  Many times my opinions have been confirmed by experience & first hand knowledge.

In the moment......  Most of my opinions are largely unsubstantiated, & can not be proven true or false.  Such is the nature of all opinion!  I can live with that!  As for Beckett & LACKEY!  BOTH MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  in the off season!  No doubt about it!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Performance is the key word here.  If Beckett was 12-4 this year...Sox fans would be singing a new tune.  If Lackey had two great seasons of 15-8 under his belt...Sox fans would be singing a different tune. 

Ciriaco walks on water NOW...what happens when he goes 2-24 or starts failing in key situatons on a regular basis.  Salty is doing great with the bat but he is not the greatest defensive backstop and stolen bases, passed balls, K's in key situations all help fans pile on.  If the Sox were 60-43 nobody would care.

In Response to Re: The media's treatment of this team is just not warranted : Is Prince Fielder ve weght and outof hape? ABSOLUTELY. Body size has minimal if any effect on performance. Baseballis full of guys who are not in shape or at least what some think is in shape. Is CC in shape, is Miguel Cabrea in shape...... Not all players look like chiseled Greek Gods. I also wonder were the bad attitude that people s eak of comes from. I watch games and see him up front when a guy makes a good play and scores a run. I'll also add Lackey since last year many complained Jake was not with the team when rehabbing Lakey is in the dugout every game. So Lackey is bad and e is there every game Jake is bad and he is not there. I have always believed there is a double standard for RS players and some will never be looked at the same way as other players no matter what they do.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

59-73 since Sept 2011

Worst Collapse in the sport

Below 500 today

175 Million Dollar Payroll

Still some deep systematic internal problems

-----  I think the media is being too kind ----

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The Boston media has always been like this. Why do you think the great Ted Williams hated the knights of the keyboard so much? Rice never had much use for them either, which I believe kept him out of the hall of fame for quite awhile.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

TW's press battles was covered in detail in the TW Bio by Leigh Montville, one of the best sports books ever written.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmileybeniTheFool. Show SmileybeniTheFool's posts

In Response to; The media's treatment of this team is just not warranted:
    I am not going to sit here and tell you this Red Sox team, like every other team in baseball, is not without its flaws.   I am also not going to sit here and tell you this Red Sox team, like a lot of other teams, doesn’t deal with some issues in the clubhouse.   Having said that, the media’s harsh criticisms of the team – that a lot of the fans sadly buy into – is just not warranted.   Take Dennis and Callahan, for instance. I listened to them this morning for about five minutes and it was all Beckett bashing, bashing the front office for still thinking they are in the race, etc.   This team is just 3.5 games out of the wild card, and while I would not count on them to win the AL East, they are really only a few wins away from at least having a pulse in the division.   Having said that, the majority of discussion in print and on the radio is endless bashing of the front office, the manager and the players, when the truth of the matter is that the Red Sox are right there in the hunt.   The regular season is now going to be a grind. Other teams have been better. Gone are the days where the likes of the Sox and Yankees are going to have this Grand Canyonesque gap in talent over the rest of the league.   To show how close the league now is, the top 17 teams record-wise in all of MLB are only separated by 9.5 games.   I am not going to sit here and say that everything is sunshine and kittens with the Red Sox. But this endless bashing of the team really needs to stop.
    Posted by Zetterberg80

Sections
Shortcuts