The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime

In Response to Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime : 5 years?  You have heard of Free Agency, correct?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]How long did Mike Timlin pitch for the Red Sox?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Not a fair question.  We obviously resigned Mike a few times.  No guarantee we can do that w/ Aceves.  Maybe we can.  Maybe we can't.  But one thing is for sure - you can not assume we will have him under control for 5 more years because we do NOT......I'm building for the future here.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]OK but if you deal Beckett you will need to eat $$ and you really won't get too much in return.  I'm thinking like a pair of AA starters and certainly not anyone's top guys..... QMS?  Come on, I can't give that info out on line!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]Really? You don't think we could get 2 top quality AA starters for Beckett? I think you're selling low. As for Ells, if you weren't looking for top of the line AA talent, I tjink Youk, Josh, Ells and a PTBNL could bring back royalty amongst pitchers. And I lived in Wollaston when I was 13. I don't care who knows that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime : I can read into this a say that i think that A-Gon is playing hurt ???? Something is wrong !!!
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

He is just not that good perhaps anymore. The Sox never needed him in the first place. That is the mistake. Should have's and could have's. Should have kept Betre and Victor. Youk was doing great at 1st. Could have picked up some pitching for that 20mil.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya this was downright embarrassing, without a doubt. salty should become the back up and lavarnway should get a shot to start. We have nothing to lose at this point. salty is terrible defensively and is not doing much at the plate. Adrian Gonzalez really needs to get his s**t together. 0-8 for a guy who is supposed to be our offensive leader, and to top it all off, he got punched out by the other teams firstbasemen. lastly, the fact that we lost with darnel mcdonald on the mound is a joke. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

First, I keep Ellsbury and try and resign him

But think about if you were the OTHER team - the Giants, Angels, whoever - would you give up your 2 best pitching prospects for Beckett OR Youk?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

the Bull pen has been lights out  lately the starters havent doen their jobs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No team has given up more runs in all of baseball than the Mighty Boston Red Sox.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from roberr48. Show roberr48's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime : Youk is probably the most likely to be traded , but I don't know how much you would get in return.  Ells would bring a good return only if traded to a team that knew they could re-sign him. Not too many of those around.  Beckett could be dealt if you were willing to eat most of his contract.  Sox are in a bind , no matter how you look at.  Like you , I enjoy following the farm system to watch the progress of prospects.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Dgalehouse....you said   "Gonzo was showing signs of life today"
    No Offense, but what in the world does that mean?  After Clay, Gonzalez is the biggest mystery on the team...Are they really this bad, or are they hurt?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Wow !!! Tough but i'd say ther "Buckner Bobble" in 1986. I've suffered through Yaz when. he was MVP hitting final out on a foul with 2 men on in a American League playoff game. Then there was Aaron Boone's homer off Wakefield vs Yankees in 11 th inning playoff and oh ya, Bucky Dent's homer. But I'd say the blowing the 9-0 lead vs Yankees this year & losing 15-9 ranks high.

Today was a slow death.....
    Could we have just lost 5-1 instead of being tantalized with Middlebrook’s slam to make it 5-5 & then lost 6-5 instead of tying it.  Reason for homecourt is to get last at bat and in a tie game, a walkoff.  Game 1 we couldn't get a run in 4-5- innings & today 9  innings ?

I am so despondent & disgusted I feel that all opponents with winning streaks or losing ones can come into Fenway & continue winning or stop losing !!! You don’t pinch run for Ortiz when we need his bat based on our downward momentum in last many games and inertia. I’d pinch run for him if he were at 3rd and “0” outs that’s how much lack of confidence I have in getting a runner in from 2nd base.

Did you like Gonzo’s  $ 154 million performance of 0-8 ???  And his 8th, a strike out with 2 men on in the 17th !!!

Instead of wishing to make the playoffs, how about a more realistic goal of trying to avoid LAST PLACE !

Need the Celtics, up 3-1, to bring some respect back to Boston after Pats, Bruins & pathetic Sox. I lost my Official Sox Batting Cap by the swimming pool at our tennis club &  a week later it was there...no one wanted to steal it !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]First, I keep Ellsbury and try and resign him But think about if you were the OTHER team - the Giants, Angels, whoever - would you give up your 2 best pitching prospects for Beckett OR Youk?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]Duh, yeah. If Ells is looking like a no go though I think we could get a couple of pretty nice AA pitchers for Youk, Ells and Beckett maybe 3. And I think that with Linares, Bradley, Iglesias, Barnes and Bogaerts coming up the Red Sox could be a team to look up to for awhile.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

this whole team is an embarrassment, and to tell the truth,
    a lot of these guys should be in the minor leagues.
    Ross is basically a scrub who should be in the minors soon;
    Punto and Shoppach are basically dead wood; Saltalamacchia
    is a waste as a catcher and will bog this team down, if not
    released soon. Darnell McDonald is a spunky minor leaguer,
    and nothing more. Aviles stinks and they are trying to pawn
    him off on us as a major league SS...are they kidding ? He is
    not that great a hitter, as you can see by now. Youkilis should
    be traded if he can't play....to tell the truth, Middlebrooks just
    looks better than Youk...his stance is more normal, and he
    makes contact. The whole team has a "hangdog" attitude,
    and it is only a short time before the fans will be demanding
    Valentine's firing...if he doesn't quit first.
    As William Bendix used to say in the TV series, "The life of Riley"
    "What a revolting development this is !!! "

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejusox21. Show ejusox21's posts

I love them, but they flat out stink!!!I know its early in the year, but I would of had a starter pitch before McDonald. We would of had a clear advantage at that point and most likely would have won. Sad days at Fenway...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

There's way too much crying on another of ADG's threads. This team could have lost in any of those innings, but the bullpen kept it close. Why not look on the bright side? A grand slam from the rookie. Could he have been under more pressure than that? That was amazing.

That was a hard fought game. It's crushing to lose at the end, but they stayed in it. A home run off of MacDonald...does that really mean anything?

And trade Aceves? After losing Papelbon and having him do such a great job? I'd drag him back myself.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The real question to me was - why was McDonald hitting?

C'mon Bobby! Shouldn't you be pinch hitting for the pitcher in extra innings? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Why not look on the bright side?"

Hmm well crying isn't necessary but they were swept by a pretty bad team at home. 

Buch looks lost out there. 

It was great to see Middlebrooks play well but watching A Gon strike out to a position player and solidify his slump wasn't so swell. 

When you take off the rose colored glasses you realize this is a really bad team for the amount of money sunk into it. Having said that there are always turning points in every season, and things can trend up again as well. I'll let you know when they are trending up....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DEBeardsr. Show DEBeardsr's posts

In Response to The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime:
    [QUOTE]Ok, I'm starting a poll here. I'm 52, and this could be the most embarrassing Red Sox game in my lifetime. Reasons why: 1. Swept at home by O's. 2. Shut down by Chris Davis, 1B/3B. 3. Agon, $20M per, striking out against him. 4. Darnell McDonald, who shouldn't even be in the majors as a position player, having to pitch the 17th. 5. A starting pitcher with what could be the highest ERA this late into a season for a qualified pitcher. I know there was some others, but let's see what people come up with. Good luck.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]That sorry piece of shittt Gonzalez should be booed out of town.IMHO he is the sorriest player on this lousy team.All that SOB does is strike out and hit into double plays with dedicated consistency.He has never done anything for this team except blame his incompetence and irresponsibility on GOD.Maybe he should use his slow asss to hit into more triple plays.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]" Why not look on the bright side?" Hmm well crying isn't necessary but they were swept by a pretty bad team at home.  Buch looks lost out there.  It was great to see Middlebrooks play well but watching A Gon strike out to a position player and solidify his slump wasn't so swell.  When you take off the rose colored glasses you realize this is a really bad team for the amount of money sunk into it. Having said that there are always turning points in every season, and things can trend up again as well. I'll let you know when they are trending up....
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, although it's probably obvious I'm a fan who does tend to look on the bright side. I mean it is what it is, what benefit is there on dwelling on things you cannot change. I don't believe Agon is going to go 0-8 in his next at bats, guys have bad games. If I wrong, than I'm wrong. I still love to see them play, and I think the guys really tried hard to win this game. One shot off of an outfielder changed that.

Having said that, it would be great to hear someone on the board say they are trending up. I'll look forward to that. :)

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]The real question to me was - why was McDonald hitting? C'mon Bobby! Shouldn't you be pinch hitting for the pitcher in extra innings? 
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

As my dad, a Yankee fan, would say when referring to me, "Don't confuse me with the facts."Tongue out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

2 things keep going through my mind about yesterday

1 thought of before it happened and shouted at the TV, the other I thought of afterwards

When Byrd was on first base, I was shouting at him to steal or at least do a hit and run.  How good could Chris Davis be at holding runners?  Had Bryd been on the move, he scores and we win

Second, and I thought of this much later but why did MacDonald bat for himself in the 17th?  The weakest hitter on the team.  Punto the lefty or Shoppach w/ HR potential in Fenway were left on the bench to rot.....

I think Bobby really messed up here.....

Not to mention that the ONE thing that had to have been mandated to MacD on the hill was to simply keep the ball down in the zone.  I'd rather get beat by a pitch down then one up....I mean, even Wakefield was able to do that w/ his 72  MPH fastball - do you ever recall that pitch being UP in the zone?  Never.  It was always DOWN (and usually away)......

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You guys who are ripping McDonald are complete and utter morons. You can try and try and in a million years a non-pitcher being asked to pitch in a MLB game v. MLB hitters is not going to "keep the ball down". Wakefield was a MLB pitcher, a veteran of many years. It's not that simple. McDonald was simply trying to do his best in a bad situation. One of the reasons why a MLB can spot and locate is they are professional pitchers, and as you can often see with Beckett and Buchholz, it's just as easy for them to miss spots, throw home run pitches. McDonald? The guy was lucky he could even find the plate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Really?  So Major League Outfielders do not have to make throws of 60 feet or greater with any degree of accuracy?  Got it........If he can keep the ball up he can keep the ball down.  Where was the pitching coach to remind him to simply follow through and if he throws a ball, then miss low?  It isn't giving him a crash course in pitching; it's just ONE simple tip that he could have at least tried.  Instead, every pitch, pitch after pitch was up in the zone.  Yes,  I know he's not a pitcher but that doesn't mean he has to put it on tee.  Just look at Chris Davis......A guy who doesn't even have the arm of an outfielder.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

There's just no way I put any blame on McDonald for that.  He's an outfielder who was called on to pitch in an emergency situation.  They guy was happy to be able to throw strikes, let alone be able to throw to spots - or areas. 

My biggest fear was that he was going to walk four guys in a row!

Sections
Shortcuts