The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime

Ok, I'm starting a poll here. I'm 52, and this could be the most embarrassing Red Sox game in my lifetime. Reasons why:

1. Swept at home by O's.
    2. Shut down by Chris Davis, 1B/3B.
    3. Agon, $20M per, striking out against him.
    4. Darnell McDonald, who shouldn't even be in the majors as a position player, having to pitch the 17th.
    5. A starting pitcher with what could be the highest ERA this late into a season for a qualified pitcher.

I know there was some others, but let's see what people come up with.
    Good luck.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime

#3 Definately Agon's embarassing pathetic performance.  He is pressing to be sure but it is no excuse to go 0-8 and swing at several pitches out of the strike zone, he has much better plate discipline than that.  The fans are right to boo him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Pretty much.

Baltimore more or less handed the Sox the game when they brought in Davis and the Sox were to inept to take it.  Pathetic, just pathetic.

Agone striking out on 3 pitches vs. Davis to polish off his 0-8..... the low of all lows.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Sox lost the game when they couldn't win it off of Davis that first inning he pitched.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

just a bunch of losers that are no different from september 2011. fat contracts and a bunch of guys plucked from teams whose fans didnt give a sh.t about the results. i wish we were more like the yankees. big contracts but understanding of what it means to be a winner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

...... and there's still a lot of season left.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime:
    [QUOTE]Sox lost the game when they couldn't win it off of Davis that first inning he pitched.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

I think it was a huge mistake to send Byrd.  The play wasn't that close and with Sweeney coming up vs. Davis, you don't make an out on the bases in that situation.

Look what Sweeney did to lead off the next inning.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Shut down by a 3rd baseman/dh lmao.....this team really is pathetic.  I am not going to watch to many more games this season unless they clean house and bring in some players that want to get the job done.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Shut down by a 3rd baseman/dh lmao.....this team really is pathetic.  I am not going to watch to many more games this season unless they clean house and bring in some players that want to get the job done.    
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]
     The O's were lined up on the top row of the dugout, where were the Sox?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

There is a silver lining...the BP (not DMac) was just unbelievable today.  One unearned run from the 5th until being forced to use position player in last inning. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]#3 Definately Agon's embarassing pathetic performance.  He is pressing to be sure but it is no excuse to go 0-8 and swing at several pitches out of the strike zone, he has much better plate discipline than that.  The fans are right to boo him.
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

I can read into this a say that i think that A-Gon is playing hurt ???? Something is wrong !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime : I think it was a huge mistake to send Byrd.  The play wasn't that close and with Sweeney coming up vs. Davis, you don't make an out on the bases in that situation. Look what Sweeney did to lead off the next inning.....
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

We have a difference of opinion on that.  I'd have sent him.  When he was sent nobody had the ability to know what Sweeney was going to do.  It took a perfect throw to get him, and that's the chance you take late in the game.  But that's me. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to "Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime : I think it was a huge mistake to send Byrd.  The play wasn't that close and with Sweeney coming up vs. Davis, you don't make an out on the bases in that situation. Look what Sweeney did to lead off the next inning..... Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE] A fair point. However, it took two great throws, delivered without pause, to get him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime : We have a difference of opinion on that.  I'd have sent him.  When he was sent nobody had the ability to know what Sweeney was going to do.  It took a perfect throw to get him, and that's the chance you take late in the game.  But that's me. 
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the right call, too.  most of the time on plays like that the throw is up the line and drags the cacher out of position.  Baltimore just executed it properly...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

When you put up 9 consective zeroes against the O's, in a hitter's paradise, and your payroll is nearly a quarter of a billion dollars a year, you might want to consider trading some dead weight and getting a RH elite hitter (already provided profile and names for the last 2 friceen years!)!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime : I can read into this a say that i think that A-Gon is playing hurt ???? Something is wrong !!!
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

Nothing is wrong. The guy was a "Superstar" in San Diego, no pressure, no expectations.  Some guys rise to the occassion, some guys spit the bit. Old AGon did well coming out of the shoot last year, but as the games began to count more, he shrank.  Sometimes $20 Million will get you Manny, sometimes it will get you Crawford and AGon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from august271985. Show august271985's posts

In Response to The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime:
    [QUOTE]Ok, I'm starting a poll here. I'm 52, and this could be the most embarrassing Red Sox game in my lifetime. Reasons why: 1. Swept at home by O's. 2. Shut down by Chris Davis, 1B/3B. 3. Agon, $20M per, striking out against him. 4. Darnell McDonald, who shouldn't even be in the majors as a position player, having to pitch the 17th. 5. A starting pitcher with what could be the highest ERA this late into a season for a qualified pitcher. I know there was some others, but let's see what people come up with. Good luck.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

I disagree. See game #162 of 2011.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Not all that embarrassing for me. Great comeback, in fact, also a great bullpen. The Orioles are leading the AL East because they have excellent pitching, especially their BP. Agon just had a bad day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Not all that embarrassing for me. Great comeback, in fact, also a great bullpen. The Orioles are leading the AL East because they have excellent pitching, especially their BP. Agon just had a bad day.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    Are you in la la land ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

Mortensen may have pitched 6.1 innings in the last two days but he should've been out there not Darnell.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In response to "The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime": [QUOTE]Ok, I'm starting a poll here. I'm 52, and this could be the most embarrassing Red Sox game in my lifetime. Reasons why: 1. Swept at home by O's. 2. Shut down by Chris Davis, 1B/3B. 3. Agon, $20M per, striking out against him. 4. Darnell McDonald, who shouldn't even be in the majors as a position player, having to pitch the 17th. 5. A starting pitcher with what could be the highest ERA this late into a season for a qualified pitcher. I know there was some others, but let's see what people come up with. Good luck. Posted by ADG[/QUOTE] This has to be one of the all-time choke jobs I have seen in rooting for this team in 47 years. The starting rotation looks no better than September 2011. Are we dealing with injuries, oversized egos. A combination? It is frustrating to watch. We could call April a slow start.Against Baltimore, in May, there is little to hope for something better. The failure in the winter to upgrade the starting rotation.... Cheap Sox tickets later in the year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Just found out they lost. not getting excited or upset, just crummy management and a bad team. I had yard work to do that was more important than watching this poor excuse of a team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Eh, I've seen worse.  The original Boston Massacre.......There was also the 5 game sweep of the yankees in Fenway in late 2005........including a DH.......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

There will be many more days like this one before this season is over.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Maybe the Sox wouldn't have lost today if Clay hadn't have given up 5. Maybe they would have anyway, but I doubt it. Kudos to the rook on the granny today. He looks like a keeper. One thing I will bash is our starting rotation. Outside of the 2 first year starters, no one is showing anything right now. The good news is that history says that's pretty unlikely to continue for very much longer. Gonzo was showing signs of life today and Papi is still hitting. Will Middlebrooks is starting to remind me a little of Jim Rice. A white Rice at 3rd base mind you, but I think you old guys might know what I mean. Our best 3 starters have really stunk so far this year though, and it's going to be a tough year this year if that continues. However kudos to Ben for cobbling together a bullpen this year. There could be a few keepers there. Ice and Ace look like a couple of guys who could come in a couple of times a week and give you 5 shutdown innings both times. Mortenson's looked good so far as has Tazawa mostly and Atch and Fat Albers. If this team's not absolutely buried by the trading deadline they could come back strong in August and September. Call me crazy but I think Carl Crawford will show all y'all puritans that he didn't leave his soul in Tampa. Ellsbury has to be coming back in no more than a month. Put him at the top of the order and see how things go in extra innings. All that being said, if we're still buried at the trade deadline I would sell. I wouldn't sell everything, but if any our high dollar free agents were having anything even closely resembling a great year, I'd get every bit of high A and AA talent we could get for each of them.
    Paging jimedfred, I'd like to see jc Linares and Jackie Bradley in the outfield in a couple of years. Now, Linares probably doesn't get past Pawtucket this year, and Bradley will probably top out in AA, but with Crawford and Ells with whoever emerges from the farm competing with Sweeney and Ross that could be a good outfield.
    The infield, with Middlebrooks, Iglesias or Aviles, Pedey, Ryan and Gonzo will be at least as good as anyone else's. All the Red Sox really need IMNSHO is for their top three starters to start behaving like top of the rotation starters. Failing that, I'd see what I could get for Youk and Beckett, or Youk,Beckett and Ells.
    If we're not in a position to win it this year we probably won't be next year either. Anyway, I'll be watching the fams.

Sections
Shortcuts