The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime

In Response to Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime:
    [QUOTE]Maybe the Sox wouldn't have lost today if Clay hadn't have given up 5. Maybe they would have anyway, but I doubt it. Kudos to the rook on the granny today. He looks like a keeper. One thing I will bash is our starting rotation. Outside of the 2 first year starters, no one is showing anything right now. The good news is that history says that's pretty unlikely to continue for very much longer. Gonzo was showing signs of life today and Papi is still hitting. Will Middlebrooks is starting to remind me a little of Jim Rice. A white Rice at 3rd base mind you, but I think you old guys might know what I mean. Our best 3 starters have really stunk so far this year though, and it's going to be a tough year this year if that continues. However kudos to Ben for cobbling together a bullpen this year. There could be a few keepers there. Ice and Ace look like a couple of guys who could come in a couple of times a week and give you 5 shutdown innings both times. Mortenson's looked good so far as has Tazawa mostly and Atch and Fat Albers. If this team's not absolutely buried by the trading deadline they could come back strong in August and September. Call me crazy but I think Carl Crawford will show all y'all puritans that he didn't leave his soul in Tampa. Ellsbury has to be coming back in no more than a month. Put him at the top of the order and see how things go in extra innings. All that being said, if we're still buried at the trade deadline I would sell. I wouldn't sell everything, but if any our high dollar free agents were having anything even closely resembling a great year, I'd get every bit of high A and AA talent we could get for each of them. Paging jimedfred, I'd like to see jc Linares and Jackie Bradley in the outfield in a couple of years. Now, Linares probably doesn't get past Pawtucket this year, and Bradley will probably top out in AA, but with Crawford and Ells with whoever emerges from the farm competing with Sweeney and Ross that could be a good outfield. The infield, with Middlebrooks, Iglesias or Aviles, Pedey, Ryan and Gonzo will be at least as good as anyone else's. All the Red Sox really need IMNSHO is for their top three starters to start behaving like top of the rotation starters. Failing that, I'd see what I could get for Youk and Beckett, or Youk,Beckett and Ells. If we're not in a position to win it this year we probably won't be next year either. Anyway, I'll be watching the fams.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I like Doubront especially if you take into consideration hat his last 2 outings were probably the 2 most miserable nights the team has played in weather-wise.   

Bard has been OK, but his stay in the rotation appears to be more built on need than on the job he has done.

This team DESPERATELY needs a SP.  They're not going to get one by dealing Youkilis, either.  Unless you want Barry Zito...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Not all that embarrassing for me. Great comeback, in fact, also a great bullpen. The Orioles are leading the AL East because they have excellent pitching, especially their BP. Agon just had a bad day.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

HA

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime : I can read into this a say that i think that A-Gon is playing hurt ???? Something is wrong !!!
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

I hate to say this, because I really like the guy.......  BUT!!!  He came into camp out of shape.  Did anybody see the picture in ST with A-Gon & Youk, sporting their winter FAT GUTS.  The old saying about success being where opportunity meets preparation stands!!!  Our boys have LEARNED that it is acceptable to come to camp out of shape!  Not all, but too many!!!  If A-Gon is injured, like Youk, it's their own damned fault!

UNACCEPTABLE!  The above comment about the O's standing at the top of the dugout, while the Sox sit on their arsses feeling sorry for themselves, is also very illustrative of why we are where we are!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe the Sox wouldn't have lost today if Clay hadn't have given up 5. Maybe they would have anyway, but I doubt it. Kudos to the rook on the granny today. He looks like a keeper. One thing I will bash is our starting rotation. Outside of the 2 first year starters, no one is showing anything right now. The good news is that history says that's pretty unlikely to continue for very much longer. Gonzo was showing signs of life today and Papi is still hitting. Will Middlebrooks is starting to remind me a little of Jim Rice. A white Rice at 3rd base mind you, but I think you old guys might know what I mean. Our best 3 starters have really stunk so far this year though, and it's going to be a tough year this year if that continues. However kudos to Ben for cobbling together a bullpen this year. There could be a few keepers there. Ice and Ace look like a couple of guys who could come in a couple of times a week and give you 5 shutdown innings both times. Mortenson's looked good so far as has Tazawa mostly and Atch and Fat Albers. If this team's not absolutely buried by the trading deadline they could come back strong in August and September. Call me crazy but I think Carl Crawford will show all y'all puritans that he didn't leave his soul in Tampa. Ellsbury has to be coming back in no more than a month. Put him at the top of the order and see how things go in extra innings. All that being said, if we're still buried at the trade deadline I would sell. I wouldn't sell everything, but if any our high dollar free agents were having anything even closely resembling a great year, I'd get every bit of high A and AA talent we could get for each of them. Paging jimedfred, I'd like to see jc Linares and Jackie Bradley in the outfield in a couple of years. Now, Linares probably doesn't get past Pawtucket this year, and Bradley will probably top out in AA, but with Crawford and Ells with whoever emerges from the farm competing with Sweeney and Ross that could be a good outfield. The infield, with Middlebrooks, Iglesias or Aviles, Pedey, Ryan and Gonzo will be at least as good as anyone else's. All the Red Sox really need IMNSHO is for their top three starters to start behaving like top of the rotation starters. Failing that, I'd see what I could get for Youk and Beckett, or Youk,Beckett and Ells. If we're not in a position to win it this year we probably won't be next year either. Anyway, I'll be watching the fams.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I stopped reading once you said "Gonzo was showing signs of life today" ????????  How do you take the collar when you are a 154 million dollar hitter, batting 3rd for the Sox in an 14 inning game?  And again, on just one of those ground outs it would be nice to see him actually hustle...I believe he had the most OUTS of anyone today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Youk is probably the most likely to be traded , but I don't know how much you would get in return.  Ells would bring a good return only if traded to a team that knew they could re-sign him. Not too many of those around.  Beckett could be dealt if you were willing to eat most of his contract.  Sox are in a bind , no matter how you look at.  Like you , I enjoy following the farm system to watch the progress of prospects.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Very few guys worth keeping for the future who are on the current day's roster:

Ortiz
    Pedey
    Middlebrooks
    Salty
    Lester
    Doubrant
    Bard

others like Aceves and Morales and Hill would be better served by trading away for real value....even Sweeney and Ross and Shoppach would make nice final pieces for a team trying to make the playoffs or win it all.  Heck, the Rangers got David Murphy for Eric Gange.  Those are the trades we could start making.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

they just are not a good team guys. there will probably be a lot more of these before the season ends october 3rd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yeah it probably will get worse

how many more games do we have with the Rays, yankees, Tigers and Rangers?

and yes, let us not forget about the NL games where our best hitter will be riding pine

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Very few guys worth keeping for the future who are on the current day's roster: Ortiz Pedey Middlebrooks Salty Lester Doubrant Bard others like Aceves and Morales and Hill would be better served by trading away for real value....even Sweeney and Ross and Shoppach would make nice final pieces for a team trying to make the playoffs or win it all.  Heck, the Rangers got David Murphy for Eric Gange.  Those are the trades we could start making.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]You'd keep Salty over Ace? Why? Alfredo Aceves could be another Eck, he has that kind of stuff. Salty is just another meh catcher IMO. I don't think the team would be hurt at all with the rich arrogant Yalie at C over the guy with the great big hole in his bat..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

With our luck right now, everything is going wrong......  EVERYTHING!

I'm putting this to the test.  See the add in the top right of the page.  Yeh!  Win a free dinner with Barack!  I signed up!  With my luck, as a Red Sox fan right now, I'll probably win :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

It was horrible.  But not as horrible as when Matt Young pitched a no-hitter and lost

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I have no idea what Lavarnway's financial status is , but I would take him over Salty right now , and certainly for the future.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I have no idea what Lavarnway's financial status is , but I would take him over Salty right now , and certainly for the future.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]That was a stupid WWII joke. I've been on a bit of a rant lately.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

As I said, Aceves could really get us something good back in return.  But to be clear, if I didn't get something of high value in return, I happily keep him.  There are other guys that simply must go (see one Carl Crawford)

I keep Salty yes.  It was a close call but catchers are just so hard to find and he's not expensive.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

By the way - if any of you are too young to remember Matt Young's no-hitter in which he LOST 2 - 1

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/04121992.shtml

That was worse than today.  Much worse.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]With our luck right now, everything is going wrong......  EVERYTHING! I'm putting this to the test.  See the add in the top right of the page.  Yeh!  Win a free dinner with Barack!  I signed up!  With my luck, as a Red Sox fan right now, I'll probably win :)
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

As bad as things are going........  Joe Biden will probably show up! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]By the way - if any of you are too young to remember Matt Young's no-hitter in which he LOST 2 - 1 http://www.baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/04121992.shtml That was worse than today.  Much worse.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

I remember that.  That was the year that Matt Young and Danny Dawrin were going to replace Mike Boddicker.  It hink MY had like 10 BB's??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]As I said, Aceves could really get us something good back in return. I keep Salty yes.  It was a close call but catchers are just so hard to find and he's not expensive.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]I'd trade Youk, Beckett and Ells before I traded Aceves. Aceves is a guy you can't replace I think. If there's any pitching job that needs to be done Ace can get it done. Youk Beckett and Ells could get you something nice.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]I have no idea what Lavarnway's financial status is , but I would take him over Salty right now , and certainly for the future.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

So, Jarrod Saltalamacchia is hitting .238 with a .754 OPS, and he has to go.  And Ryan Lavarnway is htting .238 with a .681 OPS in AAA, and he is the answer?

If the Sox need some pitching, one of these guys might be decent trade fodder.  As much as people think Lavarnway has sooooooooooo much more potential than Saltalamachia, he is only 2 years younger and much less accomplished...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Youk won't fetch too much right now

Beckett you are eating big $$$$$$

Ells can get you a TON but he has got to be healthy

Aceves is a case of giving up something to get something.  As I said, I only do it for the right deal and if not, he's a good piece to hold onto.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]By the way - if any of you are too young to remember Matt Young's no-hitter in which he LOST 2 - 1 http://www.baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/04121992.shtml That was worse than today.  Much worse.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Except Young got a standing ovation when he came back to Boston.

Worst game is too easy - Game 6, 1986. 

Worst. 

Game.  

Ever...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Youk won't fetch too much right now Beckett you are eating big $$$$$$ Ells can get you a TON but he has got to be healthy Aceves is a case of giving up something to get something.  As I said, I only do it for the right deal and if not, he's a good piece to hold onto.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]Heck yeah. He's only the anchor of your bullpen for the next 5 years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Embarrassing Red Sox Game in My Lifetime : Heck yeah. He's only the anchor of your bullpen for the next 5 years.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

5 years?  You have heard of Free Agency, correct?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Youk won't fetch too much right now Beckett you are eating big $$$$$$ Ells can get you a TON but he has got to be healthy Aceves is a case of giving up something to get something.  As I said, I only do it for the right deal and if not, he's a good piece to hold onto.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]And I would be more than willing to eat salary if we could load up on starting pitchers in Portland and Salem. And when were you at QMS?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

OK but if you deal Beckett you will need to eat $$ and you really won't get too much in return.  I'm thinking like a pair of AA starters and certainly not anyone's top guys.....

QMS?  Come on, I can't give that info out on line!

Sections
Shortcuts