The Myth of Buckner and Game 6 of the 1986 World Series

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: The Myth of Buckner and Game 6 of the 1986 World Series

I never was a big Bob Stanley fan. Talk about an overweight pitcher!!!

This guy was 1986's version of Tim Wakefield. A guy who started games, pitched in relief and was on the team for so many years he was like a piece of the furniture.

I never understood the affection Boston fans had for this guy.

Buckner saved him from being the goat , which is what I always believed. If Stanley doesn't throw a wild pitch and the Red Sox do not lose that game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

This guy was 1986's version of Tim Wakefield. A guy who started games, pitched in relief and was on the team for so many years he was like a piece of the furniture.

I never understood the affection Boston fans had for this guy.

True. Wakefield is like a UAW bailout member getting a pension after death.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Great posts...all correct. Buckner is really a hero for what he accomplished that year. Others let him, as us, down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lscheue. Show lscheue's posts

Everyone forgets game 7 of the series. We had a three run lead until the Mets tied the score in the sixth.  McNamara brought in Schiraldi who had failed miserably the night before. Available on the bench was every starting pitcher on the team.
    Why didn't McNamara use his starters instead of a sure loser with fear in his eyes?
    I was sure at the time that McNamara's family had been threatened or he had been paid off.  Worst job of management I have ever seen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Good to see this board come to his defense and not pile on...Buckner was a true warrior on a really gritty team that year.  He is one of the truly great ones that played for the Sox and always gave 110%.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Mac blew that game. At the time, I wanted him to put Stapleton in as he had in some other games. Buckner got the shaft. Sentimentality trumped logic and the team paid the price. Mac shouldn't have brought Schiraldi in either, as it was obvious the high pressure games were too much for him at that point in his career. Stanley and Gedman should be held accountable for a part of the mess as well. Buckner had no business being left on the field at that stage of the game with the score what it was. One of the all-time terrible managerial blunders that Red Sox history seems to be full of.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I always liked Bill Buckner. He was a real pro.

The 1986 Mets were a great team they had many good leaders and role players , Gary Carter, Keith Hernandez, Sid Fernandez, Wally Backman, Ron Darling, Jesse Orosco, but they had a few guys who dabbled in drugs, Gooden, Strawberry and future steroid guys Kevin Mitchell and Lenny Dykstra.

If you think our 2011 clubhouse is a mess and think it prevents teams from winning, think about the diversity on the 86 Mets. They had some some real losers on that team...yet they didn't choke. This proves that even with a few slackers, cheats and scum , you can still win in pro sports.

I would consider adding Gary Carter to our coaching staff , if he is interested. The guy can never be anything but a positive influence on any team he is associated with. A true winner and a pro.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Gary Carter has inoperable stage 4 brain cancer, Zill. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

In Response to Re: The Myth of Buckner and Game 6 of the 1986 World Series:
    [QUOTE]Agree with what everyone has said. (Well, except for 2004Idiot, who apparently posted on the wrong thread). Believe it or not, I eagerly went to see "Fever Pitch." But when Jimmy Fallon's character mentioned Buckner as being part of the jinx, that struck me as completely unrealistic. No true Red Sox fan blames him. I remember after the '04 Series I was a sign that said, "Bill Buckner, we forgive you." Forgive him for what?!?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

In the movie Fallon says "It wasn't Buckners fault, Stanley screwed them." after he continually watches the scene.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

It really seems like the last 2 games were all Mac's fault. He had kept Schilardi in for his 3rd inning in the 10th and brought him in again the next game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Agree with what everyone has said. (Well, except for 2004Idiot, who apparently posted on the wrong thread). Believe it or not, I eagerly went to see "Fever Pitch." But when Jimmy Fallon's character mentioned Buckner as being part of the jinx, that struck me as completely unrealistic. No true Red Sox fan blames him. I remember after the '04 Series I was a sign that said, "Bill Buckner, we forgive you." Forgive him for what?!?

Forgive him for hitting .191 -- something like that -- in the W.S. That was always my criticism of Buckner in the Series. He didn't hit. The ground ball? The game was already tied and Stapelton should have been out there.

As for that game, I blame Schiraldi and Gedman. Stanley pitched well in the W.S. and to me, that pitch was on Gedman. Stanley was a sinkerball pitcher and Gedman made a half-azzed attempt with the glove. If he moved his body in front of it, the ball wouldn't have gotten by him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

JBAY Good to hear from you. I was a 29 year old and there were a lot of things in that game that upset me. Marty Barrett had Ray Knight well off the bag at second but could not get Stanley's attention. McNamara did not like Sam Stewart RRP and did not put him in game after Shiraldi was getting tired. The hits off Shiraldi were drop ins nothing hard hit and McNamara made the move for Stanley. I think McNamara wanted Buckner out there to experience the win of a World Series because he put Dave Stapleton in for him in game 1. just a bad chain of events there.

n Response to Re: The Myth of Buckner and Game 6 of the 1986 World Series:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Myth of Buckner and Game 6 of the 1986 World Series : as I, as am sure many did, in 2008, when he emerged from the Green Monster, to a standing ovation in celebration of the the 2007 World Championship. It's was nothing short of a travesty, Buckner had to move from New England to the midwest
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Lot's of would have, could have, should have happened in that game. Schiraldi can't get the third out, Stanley missed location by a lot but Gedman tries to back hand the ball rather than block it. Buckner get a bad hop and he gets nailed because it is the "Kodak" moment completing an improbable Mets come back, preventing and even more improbable WS win by the RS.

But it was never fair. Only the Bartman goating is more unfair.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]I never was a big Bob Stanley fan. Talk about an overweight pitcher!!! This guy was 1986's version of Tim Wakefield. A guy who started games, pitched in relief and was on the team for so many years he was like a piece of the furniture. I never understood the affection Boston fans had for this guy. Buckner saved him from being the goat , which is what I always believed. If Stanley doesn't throw a wild pitch and the Red Sox do not lose that game.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I always, and still do, believe it was Macnamara, Schiraldi, and Stanley, in that order, that blew that game up !! Buckner should never been on the field in the Ninth nevermind the tenth !! Of Course One could argue that the 3 and 4 hitters going 0-10 with plenty of opportunities with men on was the real culprit !! Wait... Buckner hit third that night followed by Our Most recent HOFer, Rice !! OUCH !!  LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Lot's of would have, could have, should have happened in that game. Schiraldi can't get the third out, Stanley missed location by a lot but Gedman tries to back hand the ball rather than block it. Buckner get a bad hop and he gets nailed because it is the "Kodak" moment completing an improbable Mets come back, preventing and even more improbable WS win by the RS. But it was never fair. Only the Bartman goating is more unfair.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
    Katz, did you happen to catch "Catching Hell" on ESPN? Simply unbelievable.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

My father died the year before that game. 

I remember in the top of the 10th thinking, too bad he's not alive... 

Then in the bottom of the inning, thinking... good thing he isn't, this would have killed him. 

I don't usually think about Buckner at all... good ball player though. 

-Daf. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]There is a reason why in 1990 when Buckner returned to Boston to play out the last few weeks remaining in a great career that he got a standing ovation when he was introduced onto the field. It was because the vast majority of us did not blame him or at least had forgiven him. Why we get a bad wrap as fans on this boggles me.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Another great Buckner memory from 1990 was the inside-the-park home run he hit in his second or third start...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Lot's of would have, could have, should have happened in that game. Schiraldi can't get the third out, Stanley missed location by a lot but Gedman tries to back hand the ball rather than block it. Buckner get a bad hop and he gets nailed because it is the "Kodak" moment completing an improbable Mets come back, preventing and even more improbable WS win by the RS. But it was never fair. Only the Bartman goating is more unfair.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

The Bartman goating was pure insanity.

Cubs fans truly believed he as at fault.  I even cornered a Cub fan friend of mine the next day and asked him why he blamed Bartman.  He said, and I quote, "If we don't blame him then we have to blame the players."

Really? The people who actually lost the game?

Not sure if I should look down on his inability to focus blame, however.  I'm a Red Sox fan, and apparently our custom when the team loses is to blame the GM...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Bill Buckner should never have been blamed for that game. I just wonder if, at the time, the fans really felt the way they were portrayed as feeling. With him coming back to a standing ovation, I doubt that.

And FTR, I met some Cubs fans on vacation in the Keys and they were the most fun of anyone there. In a baseball discussion that started when a guy was walking around with a TB hat abusing everyone (yes a TB hat) which started with a Nationals fan, then a Yankee fan who threw it to me as a Sox fan, and before I even got a chance to respond two Cubs fans jumped in and they were hilarious. If anything, they have a great sense of humor about their team. My friends and I, some not even baseball fans as not having been born in America where it's the main sport, laughed, partied and danced (short of dancing on tables) with the Cubs fans who were the best people I ever met on vacation. They had to throw us all out when they closed. lol

I wish nothing but the best for Chicago Cubs fans.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Myth of Buckner and Game 6 of the 1986 World Series : Katz, did you happen to catch "Catching Hell" on ESPN? Simply unbelievable.

I watched it after the game last night, Lloyd.  You're right.  It was a real eye-opener.  I felt so sorry for the guy.  As other people noted, it could have been anybody in his position, and most people would have reached for that ball like he did. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

how was buck going to beat the runner (Mookie i believe) to first even if he fielded it cleanly????

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]how was buck going to beat the runner (Mookie i believe) to first even if he fielded it cleanly????
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Probably wasn't.  Knight would have had to stop at third though, so the winning run wouldn't have scored.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Did anyone hear Buck talking about how the ball actually didn't go under his glove? The replay shows he was right. His soft glove gave way to the ball as it hit the side of his glove. 

I had always thought it was because Buck's weak knees prevented him from squatting enough to get down for the ball. It looks like the ball may have hopped to the side a bit.

I will never forgive Mac for leaving Buck on the field for that fateful moment; I think Buck would have enjoyed running out onto the field to celebrate from the dugout much more that what he had to go through due to Mac's blunder.

Starting a Bob Stanley bash fest is needless. The guy was a very good pitcher from 1978 to 1985. His WHIP balooned after 1985 (at age 31).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Myth of Buckner and Game 6 of the 1986 World Series : Probably wasn't.  Knight would have had to stop at third though, so the winning run wouldn't have scored.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Maybe-maybe not.

Sections
Shortcuts