The New 3rd Baseman - I will be disappointed if it's Will Middlebrooks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Re: The New 3rd Baseman - I will be disappointed if it's Will Middlebrooks

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:

24 HR's in 128 major league games. Quiet down people

.283 OBP is those same 128 games. 

And he's a rookie buddy expect growing pains. He will be a stud and u will eat your words

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

.283 OBP is those same 128 games. 

And he's a rookie buddy expect growing pains. He will be a stud and u will eat your words

Your right he is a rookie and there will be growing pains. That is exactly the reason you bring in a veteran like Michael Young to temporarily take the position until h grows into the position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I was just looking at the statistics of all the third basemen in baseball and it's a very weak crop after Cabrera, Longoria, Beltre, Wright, and Alvarez. Young is easily a top 10 third baseman this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

and a pennant race is absolutely no time for "growing pains", pal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

We all want to see Will suceed but he was beyond terrible this season, .192 BA, 60K to 9BB in 53 gm's. He will get next season to prove it at 3rd but Cecchini will be breathing down his neck. Cecchini emerging probably means Will moving to 1B. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I personally have confidence in Xander Bogaerts as I strong follower of the minor league systems I can't remember the last time a guy like this came up.  I don't have a crystal ball but I think he will at least be good enough down the stretch.  You don't have to rely on him being a star right now anyways.  You have Papi, Pedrioa, Ellsbury, etc etc All Bogaerts has to do is hit better than Iggy would down the stretch and even if you lost a little bit on defense you pitching just got a LOT better.

FWIW JBJ is sitting out of today's game as well....you might not like the cost for YOUNG. be careful what you wish for...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Stan, at first base, Middlebrooks' paltry offensive numbers would be even less acceptable than they are at third base. I think first base will be a position where the Red Sox seek an upgrade via free agency. They'll offer Napoli arbitration, he'll either accept it and come back for one more year and comparable dollars, or the team will move in another direction. Paul Konerko and Corey Hart are both free agents.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE]

and a pennant race is absolutely no time for "growing pains".

lol ok buddy, can`t wait until Middlebrooks is back and is bashing those HR`s over the Monster

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

I was just looking at the statistics of all the third basemen in baseball and it's a very weak crop after Cabrera, Longoria, Beltre, Wright, and Alvarez. Young is easily a top 10 third baseman this year.

Michael Young ranks 15th in WAR among qualified thirdbasemen since the start of the 2012 season:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=3b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Your "weak crop" includes 25-year-old Seattle thirdbaseman Kyle Seager, who ranks fifth (just ahead of Evan Longoria, who missed considerable time to injuries).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Yes, I should have included Seager, but my point still stands. Looking at 2013 numbers, as I was, there aren't ten clearly better third basemen than Michael Young. If the Red Sox don't have to trade much to add a third baseman who ranks among the top third, I don't see why that's such a huge problem.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

Stan, at first base, Middlebrooks' paltry offensive numbers would be even less acceptable than they are at third base. I think first base will be a position where the Red Sox seek an upgrade via free agency. They'll offer Napoli arbitration, he'll either accept it and come back for one more year and comparable dollars, or the team will move in another direction. Paul Konerko and Corey Hart are both free agents.

Agreed   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Of course Middlebrooks comes back. Stupid thread. He is the future. Are all sox fans this stupid?

Middlebrooks is only the future if he doe a lot better then what he showed so far.Would you want your future 3b with a 200 BA....Who's the stupid one????( are all the sox fans this stupid ).....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

I heard they called up Brock Holt.  So he'll hold down 3B for now?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Will somebody please name me another Sox rookie who had 24 HR`s  in his 1st 128 games?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

We all want to see Will suceed but he was beyond terrible this season, .192 BA, 60K to 9BB in 53 gm's. He will get next season to prove it at 3rd but Cecchini will be breathing down his neck. Cecchini emerging probably means Will moving to 1B. 

This deserves repeating: 60K's, 9BB's. Thats simply not the kind of player I want on my team right now. Maybe he will get better, maybe he won't. But its pretty clear that right now WMB is not a major league caliber offensive player. I wish it were different, but those are the cold facts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Bruinss-

Sam Horn had 16 hrs in his first 70 games

Also a 24 year old Phil Plantier hit 34 home runs in 138 games San Diego after the Sox traded him.

Just saying a lot of young players have hit for power early and faded away very quickly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Of course Middlebrooks comes back. Stupid thread. He is the future. Are all sox fans this stupid?

Theres no need to be like that. Ive seen some pretty asinine things on the B's, C's and Pats forums too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Just to throw out the possibility...any chance the mets move wright?  Boy would he round our lineup nicely. 

Jake,

Pedroia

Ortiz

Wright

SV

Napoli

salty

gomes/carp

drew

in future you still have

1B TBD

2B Pedroia

SS Bogarts

3B Wright

With prospects in the upper minors to back them up and play 1B likely.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Will somebody please name me another Sox rookie who had 24 HR`s  in his 1st 128 games?

he hit 50% of those 24  in 2 months: May 2012 (his very first month in the bigs) and April 2013 (obv the first month of this season).  another case of pitchers not having a book on someone.  WMB has not adjusted to the pitchers adjusting to him.  hopefully that changes.  in the meantime it is worth repeating....now (1/2 game out of first) is not the time for your so called "growing pains".

oh, and his defense is below avg.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

Just to throw out the possibility...any chance the mets move wright?  Boy would he round our lineup nicely. 

Jake,

Pedroia

Ortiz

Wright

SV

Napoli

salty

gomes/carp

drew

in future you still have

1B TBD

2B Pedroia

SS Bogarts

3B Wright

Mets would want Boegarts and Bradley to part with the face of their franchise. 

No thank you !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Will you please look at all the other stats...There are a lot more stats in baseball than just HR. We all hope WMB can get things going and hes working on it in AAA, but to put a guy who has 60K's, 9BB's in his 53 games this year along with a sub .200BA and a sub.300OBP is not happening.

Lots of young kids come out with a lot of power due to the league not knowing them and the player taking advantage of that. Once MLB pitchers figure a young hitter out its then up to the player to now make the adjustments to continue the success. WMB hasnt made them yet, and hasnt been able to. This is what they call a sophmore slump. MLB pitchers figured Middy out last year and if you look at WMB numbers after Youk left you would see his production was rapidly heading south.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to BostonBruinss's comment:

.247 BA, .283 OBA , 130K in 470 AB and an OPS of .741, a WAR of 0.6 and a fielding average of .944.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I personally have confidence in Xander Bogaerts as I strong follower of the minor league systems I can't remember the last time a guy like this came up.  I don't have a crystal ball but I think he will at least be good enough down the stretch.  You don't have to rely on him being a star right now anyways.  You have Papi, Pedrioa, Ellsbury, etc etc All Bogaerts has to do is hit better than Iggy would down the stretch and even if you lost a little bit on defense you pitching just got a LOT better.

FWIW JBJ is sitting out of today's game as well....you might not like the cost for YOUNG. be careful what you wish for...

He hurt his wrist or elbow last night. That was why he was pulled and probably why he's out today.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

Jake,

Pedroia

Ortiz

Wright

SV

Napoli

salty

gomes/carp

drew

in future you still have

1B TBD

2B Pedroia

SS Bogarts

3B Wright

Why would they move him? He is the face of that franchise. Why wouldn't the Tigers move Cabrera, why wouldn't Colorado move CarGo, etc.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

He hurt his wrist or elbow last night. That was why he was pulled and probably why he's out today.

That's right I think I remember reading a tweet on that now.  I really hope that's why he is out and not because they are trading him.  If I had to guess I'd say JBJ is still here come tomorrow but one never knows.  

Sections
Shortcuts