The New 3rd Baseman - I will be disappointed if it's Will Middlebrooks

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: The New 3rd Baseman - I will be disappointed if it's Will Middlebrooks

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

With the need for a 3rd baseman to be called up for tonights game, I will be very disappointed if it's Will Middlebrooks. He hasn't proven that he's ready to come back with his .258 average in Pawtucket. The Red Sox also don't need another strikeout machine in the lineup. We already have Napoli, Salty and Drew.

My top choice is Bogaerts. He has the best average, his BB/K ratio is 1:1 and I don't care about when the "clock" starts ticking.

What are your thoughts?

All I can tell you is I have seen both on the same infield at McCoy.  When they are playing together Middy is the captain of that side and Bogaerts seems to let Middy make most of the plays.  Soon after the game begins, Middy's uniform is dirty and Bogaert's looks like he is waiting to do a photo opt.

[/QUOTE]

Middlebrooks is the better defender between the two....but there is a learning curve in defense and Boggy is still just 20.  If he can play SS he has the ability to be an above average 3rd baseman.  With that said I think the Sox play Bogaerts 3B for this season while hoping they can slide him in to short next year and HOPEFULLY Middlebrooks can get another shot next year......If middlebrooks looks like a lost cause halfway through next year then there is a decent chance Garin Cecchini is ready to bust on the scene. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

Thanks.  I am sure some will think I am crazy but there is some business going on here by keeping Middy in Pawtucket until the MLB roster expansion.  McCoy is really hurting attendance wise.  The demographics have changed over the last ten years in the area and you see more soccer going on in baseball fields than baseball.

Middy is down there to fill seats and is a fan fav and only iggy has been more popular this year.

[/QUOTE]

Jackbu- Bogey is not big draw?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

With the need for a 3rd baseman to be called up for tonights game, I will be very disappointed if it's Will Middlebrooks. He hasn't proven that he's ready to come back with his .258 average in Pawtucket. The Red Sox also don't need another strikeout machine in the lineup. We already have Napoli, Salty and Drew.

My top choice is Bogaerts. He has the best average, his BB/K ratio is 1:1 and I don't care about when the "clock" starts ticking.

What are your thoughts?

And you'll be wrong once again, just like you were when you called for Doubront to be put in the bullpen or traded. WM is a very good player and has just as good chance of coming back and doing what he did last yr for us ( which would be a major boost to this team) even more so IMO...than the player that struggled early this yr. if you know anything about the scaphoid fracture that WM suffered you would know that players can struggle with the strength and swing for as much as a year, or some cases 18 mos. will M will be fine....kids a stud...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

[QUOTE]

What are your thoughts?

And you'll be wrong once again, just like you were when you called for Doubront to be put in the bullpen or traded. WM is a very good player and has just as good chance of coming back and doing what he did last yr for us ( which would be a major boost to this team) even more so IMO...than the player that struggled early this yr. if you know anything about the scaphoid fracture that WM suffered you would know that players can struggle with the strength and swing for as much as a year, or some cases 18 mos. will M will be fine....kids a stud...

[/QUOTE]

Always nice to pull random threads about the player of the week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This thread is soooooo 2 months ago

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

This thread is soooooo 2 months ago

Two months is not long but Middlebrooks, Doubrant and Lester are making a lot of people eat crow....that's kinda funny. Doubrant looks tired right now....but he was huge over most of the summer...Lester is on a roll and Middlebrooks looks like he has figured a few things out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Congratulations to Will Middlebrooks and Mike Napoli for being named the American League's co-players of the week.

I'm beginning to think Middlebrooks is a clone of Mark Reynolds, another streaky slugger. Compare the numbers for Middlebrooks' nine games ending September 8 with the stats for Reynolds' nine games ending September 8 last year:

WM13 9 G, 38 PA, 9 R, 4 HR, 9 RBI, .400/.447/.777/1.219

MR12 9 G, 38 PA, 11 R, 9 HR, 17 RBI, .364/.447/1.182/1.629

Compare Middlebrooks' numbers since his recall on August 10 with Reynolds' stats over the same period in 2012:

WM13 26 G, 99 PA, 18 R, 6 HR, 16 RBI, .368/.434/.621/1.055

MR12 25 G, 99 PA, 18 R, 12 HR, 25 RBI, .317/.434/.780/1.215

Middlebrooks nearly matched Reynolds' production over those hot streaks.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=middlwi01&t=b&year=2013

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=reynoma01&t=b&year=2012

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

If only we'd taken ADG's sage advice...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:
    [QUOTE]

And he's a rookie buddy expect growing pains. He will be a stud and u will eat your words

[/QUOTE]

and a pennant race is absolutely no time for "growing pains".

lol ok buddy, can`t wait until Middlebrooks is back and is bashing those HR`s over the Monster

[/QUOTE]

I guess Red Sox front office & manager agreed.....WMB wasn't quite ready just yet.  maybe next year.  the 4th opportunity to win the job will be a "charm".....

14. This post has been removed.