The New 3rd Baseman - I will be disappointed if it's Will Middlebrooks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The New 3rd Baseman - I will be disappointed if it's Will Middlebrooks

With the need for a 3rd baseman to be called up for tonights game, I will be very disappointed if it's Will Middlebrooks. He hasn't proven that he's ready to come back with his .258 average in Pawtucket. The Red Sox also don't need another strikeout machine in the lineup. We already have Napoli, Salty and Drew.

My top choice is Bogaerts. He has the best average, his BB/K ratio is 1:1 and I don't care about when the "clock" starts ticking.

What are your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: The New 3rd Baseman - I will be disappointed if it's Will Middlebrooks

That BB/K ratio at such a young age is very impressive.  This is what I love about the kid he's not just hacking up there, rather he has a very sound approach at the plate.  Pretty much JBJ's approach except with more bat speed and more power. 

If Middlebrooks comes up I'll be cheering for him to do better and rooting for Bogaerts to take Drews job, but it will be a dissapointment if Bogaerts isn't the 3rd baseman.  It just feels right that this is his time.  I know he's young, but not all prospects are created equal he's a special player who has all the talent in the world.

I saw one of the guys who heads Soxprospects tweeted this the other day.  He said that not all #1 Prospects are the same and if Will Middlebrooks was a prospect today and not 2 years ago he would likely be ranked in the 4-8 range when a few years ago he was #1.  Bogaerts has much more of a chance to bust onto the scene.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Brock Holt will be called up today for the short term. I dont think they are done yet. he will hold the 3b spot for either Middy or Bogey.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/07/31/sources-red-sox-replacing-jose-iglesias-with-brock-holt-for-time-being/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think Holt stays when one of those guys comes up and Snyder is DFA. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I dont doubt that as hes more of a UI than Snyder, whos a corner IF'er.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

They won't DFA Snyder. No need to. The article that southpaw posted said Middlebrooks is having better plate discipline, but in his last 6 games, he's 2 for 18 with no home runs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Couldn't they just option Snyder?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

They won't DFA Snyder. No need to. The article that southpaw posted said Middlebrooks is having better plate discipline, but in his last 6 games, he's 2 for 18 with no home runs.

Well he shoudl at least be in Pawtucket then right?  I'm hoping the put Bogaerts at third and keep Holt as the UI.  Kind of seems redundant to keep Snyder with the big club through August, no?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

yes yes yes they can option Snyder...I don't know why I said DFA's.  I haven't had coffee yet people give me a break. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I think that Michael Young will be heading to Boston sometime today

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

The thing that will disappoint me more than if it's Middlebrooks would be if the FO trades away another prospect for Michael Young. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to S5's comment:

The thing that will disappoint me more than if it's Middlebrooks would be if the FO trades away another prospect for Michael Young. 

Exactly. Michael Young has no power. Check his stats. .279 / 8 HR / 34 RBI with a slash line of .345/.411/.756. We don't need that. And he's .188 in his last 10. Not worth it. Let him go to Texas. They will need a bat as Nelson Cruz will be suspended starting Saturday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Reportedly, Young only wants to go back to Texas.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I think the RedSox are going to want a veteran presence like Young  to hedge their bets in case Middlebrooks & or Bogey struggle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Just say no to drugs.....and Michael Young. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Just say no to drugs.....and Michael Young. 

Hugh 

is it you don't think Young can help us or is it the cost that makes you stay no?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Of course Middlebrooks comes back. Stupid thread. He is the future. Are all sox fans this stupid?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Uggh!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:

Of course Middlebrooks comes back. Stupid thread. He is the future. Are all sox fans this stupid?

just out of curiousity...what makes you believe he is the future??  his overwhelming stats both offensively and defensively???

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What is so appealing about Will Middlebrooks' negative 0.6 WAR this season? His career on-base percentage of .283 in 502 plate appearances at the MLB level?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I think Michael Young or some other third baseman (Aramis Ramirez?) will be joining the Red Sox after today. I'm hopeful that whoever the Red Sox obtain for third base, it won't cost much in terms of prospects. Time is running out for teams to unload pricy veterans. Many of them will be satisfied with a random AA player and salary relief. I'm okay with those kinds of deals.

As much as I'd want it to happen, there's no way this team throws Xander Bogaerts into a pennant race as a starter at a position he's barely played. He'll be a September call-up with a great chance to break camp on the Opening Day roster in 2014. The Red Sox are only a half game out of first place. They don't need to do anything drastic regarding their rookies.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Texas is rumored to be open for business.  Bring back a guy who should have never left.  Beltre.  Hes having another great year and has an amazing glove.  Miss him

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

I think Michael Young or some other third baseman (Aramis Ramirez?) will be joining the Red Sox after today. I'm hopeful that whoever the Red Sox obtain for third base, it won't cost much in terms of prospects. Time is running out for teams to unload pricy veterans. Many of them will be satisfied with a random AA player and salary relief. I'm okay with those kinds of deals.

As much as I'd want it to happen, there's no way this team throws Xander Bogaerts into a pennant race as a starter at a position he's barely played. He'll be a September call-up with a great chance to break camp on the Opening Day roster in 2014. The Red Sox are only a half game out of first place. They don't need to do anything drastic regarding their rookies.

Well put. I agree 100%.

Bogaerts is the FUTURE, but today Young is a better fit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

24 HR's in 128 major league games. Quiet down people

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

24 HR's in 128 major league games. Quiet down people

.283 OBP is those same 128 games. 

Sections
Shortcuts