The New Golden Outfield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

The New Golden Outfield

I can see it now! The new Golden Outfield (for you kids, the first one goes back to 1910 and consisted of Lewis Speaker and Hooper). The first picture taken will have Castillo in a bear-hug with David Ortiz, and the second will be with Cespedes and Mookie. They'll put it on shirts before he even has a uniform (make that a hat), and MLB.com will market them for $300 (XLG a little more). The difference in attendance money, alone. for the remainder of the year will allow us to resign Lester. GO SOX!

Darn right, I'll be watching; may even buy a shirt!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Re: The New Golden Outfield

Victorino in RF

Castillo in CF

Cepedes in LF

Craig, nava, and Holt on Bench with Ross and Betts

Napoli at 1B

Pedroia at 2B

Bogaerts at SS or 3B

????? at SS or 3B

Vazquez at C

Leaves us short at SS/3B, and 2 SP slots.  Bradley, Betts, and 1-3 young pitchers available via trade.

Alot of work to do, but the assets in place to make it happen

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

Victorino in RF

Castillo in CF

Cepedes in LF

Napoli at 1B

Pedroia at 2B

Bogaerts at SS or 3B

????? at SS or 3B

Vazquez at C

Leaves us short at SS/3B, and 2 SP slots.  Bradley, Betts, and 1-3 young pitchers available via trade.

Swap out Victorino and replace with Betts. Shane is done. Have you forgotten that Betts is the RS No. 1 prospect? Or don't you like the name?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Victorino in RF

Castillo in CF

Cepedes in LF

Napoli at 1B

Pedroia at 2B

Bogaerts at SS or 3B

????? at SS or 3B

Vazquez at C

Swap out Victorino and replace with Betts. Shane is done. Have you forgotten that Betts is the RS No. 1 prospect? Or don't you like the name?

How could anyone even have Injurino on next year's roster at all?  It's hard to even count of Craig right now but Injurino has been done.  I've been saying that for months now.  Of course, the "die hards" continue to bash me for it.  But they'll learn.  It always takes forever but eventually, most are able to face reality.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Victorino may or may not be done. We don't really know. The Red Sox certainly shouldn't rely on him. If he's healthy, though, a big if, granted, he probably should be the starting right-fielder.

I'd like to see the Red Sox sign Hanley Ramirez for 3B.

CF Castillo

RF Victorino

2B Pedroia

DH Ortiz

LF Cespedes

3B Ramirez

1B Napoli

SS Bogaerts

C Vazquez

If Victorino is injured, plug Betts at the top of the order.

Bench: C Ross, 1B/OF Craig, 1B/OF Nava, INF/OF Holt, OF Bradley Jr.

Not all of these guys could be on the roster at once, but in all likelihood, somebody would be injured or traded, and a few of these guys could also play in AAA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

Victorino may or may not be done. We don't really know. The Red Sox certainly shouldn't rely on him. If he's healthy, though, a big if, granted, he probably should be the starting right-fielder.

I'd like to see the Red Sox sign Hanley Ramirez for 3B.

CF Castillo

RF Victorino

2B Pedroia

DH Ortiz

LF Cespedes

3B Ramirez

1B Napoli

SS Bogaerts

C Vazquez

If Victorino is injured, plug Betts at the top of the order.

Bench: C Ross, 1B/OF Craig, 1B/OF Nava, INF/OF Holt, OF Bradley Jr.

Not all of these guys could be on the roster at once, but in all likelihood, somebody would be injured or traded, and a few of these guys could also play in AAA.

you say the Sox shouldn't count him Injurino yet you insert him as your #2 hitter next year?

PS - repeat after me: "Dustin Pedroia is NOT a #3 hitter.  Dustin Pedroia is NOT a #3 hitter"....one more time with spirit...........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I love the Castillo signing and how they structured it to count as 7 years not 6. This will help on the luxruy tax budget by about $2M a year for 6 years.

I think if everyone is healthy, we will see:

LF: Craig

CF: Castillo

RF: Cespedes

but if Vic is playing like the healthy Vic of 2013, I suppose Craig could get bumped to the bench:

LF: Cespedes

CF: Castillo

RF: Victorino

This realy does change the outlook of some of our young outfielders or future outfielders. 

1) I can't see the point in trying to push Bogey, Cecchini or Middy to the OF, unless we unload 2-3 OF'ers or utility players from Craig, Victorino, Nava, JBJ, Betts, Holt.

2) With frequent injuries projected or possible for Vic and Craig, we might want to hold onto 2 of the others, and if Holt is given a shot at winning the 3B job, there will be all the more reason to keep 2 from Nava, JBJ and Betts

No matter how you look at it, at least one OF needs to go. (Note: we could trade Napoli and move Craig to 1B, where he may stay healthier.)

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Victorino in RF

Castillo in CF

Cepedes in LF

Napoli at 1B

Pedroia at 2B

Bogaerts at SS or 3B

????? at SS or 3B

Vazquez at C

How could anyone even have Injurino on next year's roster at all?  It's hard to even count of Craig right now but Injurino has been done.  I've been saying that for months now.  Of course, the "die hards" continue to bash me for it.  But they'll learn.  It always takes forever but eventually, most are able to face reality.....

Actually, juding from the response you have been getting lately, I think most people only bash you now for your repeated self-congratulatory posts.  No one appears to take anything else you say seriously enough to comment on it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Why not Craig at 1st, Napoli to back up catcher/1B, Ross gone as free agent?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:

there is no plan for Naps to ever even think about putting on the catcher's gear again

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Victorino in RF

Castillo in CF

Cepedes in LF

Napoli at 1B

Pedroia at 2B

Bogaerts at SS or 3B

????? at SS or 3B

Vazquez at C

Actually, juding from the response you have been getting lately, I think most people only bash you now for your repeated self-congratulatory posts.  No one appears to take anything else you say seriously enough to comment on it.

no one likes to be wrong - especially when it's me pointing it out - repeatedly.  i get that.  no big deal over here for me. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

let's not get ahead of ourselves

1) Cespedes is a free agent after next year

2)  Craig can't stay healthy and has been in decline

3)  Castillio has never played a ML game

4) Injurino is toast

5)  JBJ is a 4th OFer, perhaps a 5th OF on a WSC caliber team (as per 2013)

hate to burst your bubbles but not one of you has prepared for the worst-case scenario which would be something like Betts/JBJ/Castillo w/ Holt backing them up

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I think Craig's foot injury last year has been a Big problem this year. Before that injury last year, he was one of the games best Clutch hitters. He had better numbers in the Minors than Tavares and the Cards are high on that kid, and he's struggling.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

I think Craig's foot injury last year has been a Big problem this year. Before that injury last year, he was one of the games best Clutch hitters. He had better numbers in the Minors than Tavares and the Cards are high on that kid, and he's struggling.

so much checking medical records before making a trade

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Victorino in RF

Castillo in CF

Cepedes in LF

Napoli at 1B

Pedroia at 2B

Bogaerts at SS or 3B

????? at SS or 3B

Vazquez at C

Victorino is DONE....   where is HOLT ??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

[QUOTE]

let's not get ahead of ourselves

1) Cespedes is a free agent after next year

That's a good point, since Victorino's contract is also a FA after next year

1) frees up salary space which can affect signings for next year

2) OF prospects have time to develop

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

so much checking medical records before making a trade

Maybe, just maybe, the Sox medical staff thought that his foot would heal in time for next season, as that trade was clearly made with the future in mind.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I can see it now! The new Golden Outfield (for you kids, the first one goes back to 1910 and consisted of Lewis Speaker and Hooper). The first picture taken will have Castillo in a bear-hug with David Ortiz, and the second will be with Cespedes and Mookie. They'll put it on shirts before he even has a uniform (make that a hat), and MLB.com will market them for $300 (XLG a little more). The difference in attendance money, alone. for the remainder of the year will allow us to resign Lester. GO SOX!

Attendance hasn't dropped. The paying fools apparently like this current team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Stanton would look good out there too !!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Attendance hasn't dropped. The paying fools apparently like this current team.

Agreed.  I don't understand why they pay such HUGE ticket prices to see a minor league ball club.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:

there is no plan for Naps to ever even think about putting on the catcher's gear again

Hopefully by next year there's no plan to have NAPS wearing a RED SOX uniform.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like Naps as a 6th slot batter, but right now, he looks to still be our clean-up hitter or 5 slot hitter.

If we want Craig to stay healthy, he probably should DH. That slot is blocked, so 1B seems the next best place. His years of team control and contractual cost are much better than Napoli's, so I could see trying to deal Mike... not handing him away, but looking to move him for a helpful player or prospects that perhaps could be flipped for some top talent.

What projected contenders need a 1Bman? Here are the worst 1Bman OPS of 2014:

30) Houston

29) Seattle

28) Texas

27) Minnesota

26) Cincinatti

25) Milwaukee

24) Kansas City

23) Philadelphia

22) San Diego

21) Cleveland

20) Pittsburgh

I'm not an expert on other teams' farm systems, so I do not know if any of these teams have any hot up and coming 1B prospects, but from the list above, I'd say possible trading partners might include Seattle, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh. Trading him to Pittsburgh would probably entail paying part of his contract, but with just 1 year left to go, it might not have to be much.

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I like Naps as a 6th slot batter, but right now, he looks to still be our clean-up hitter or 5 slot hitter.

If we want Craig to stay healthy, he probably should DH. That slot is blocked, so 1B seems the next best place. His years of team control and contractual cost are much better than Napoli's, so I could see trying to deal Mike... not handing him away, but looking to move him for a helpful player or prospects that perhaps could be flipped for some top talent.

30) Houston

29) Seattle

28) Texas

27) Minnesota

26) Cincinatti

25) Milwaukee

24) Kansas City

23) Philadelphia

22) San Diego

21) Cleveland

20) Pittsburgh

I'm not an expert on other teams' farm systems, so I do not know if any of these teams have any hot up and coming 1B prospects, but from the list above, I'd say possible trading partners might include Seattle, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh. Trading him to Pittsburgh would probably entail paying part of his contract, but with just 1 year left to go, it might not have to be much.

Sox4ever

I think Craig at this point is best suited a 'super sub' for next year.  Napps is a excellent defender and he is a bigger threat at the plate in terms of working the count and 25 or more HR potential.  You gotta figure Vic will get injured, Napps will miss some time and Ortiz can get a few spells here and there.  I think the potential for 350-400 AB's is VERY possible for Craig.  Then in 2016 he can take over at 1B or RF and maybe DH (although I hope not)....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The new Golden OF if the Sox can pull it off will feature Castillo in CF and Stanton in RF with any number of possibilities in LF.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

30) Houston

29) Seattle

28) Texas

27) Minnesota

26) Cincinatti

25) Milwaukee

24) Kansas City

23) Philadelphia

22) San Diego

21) Cleveland

20) Pittsburgh

Sox4ever

The minor leagues are devoid of first base talent.  Any team that has a homegrown first baseman probably has that guy in the outfield or at 3B right now.

Seattle has D.J. Peterson at 3B, who has a decent chance to hit but his glove does not look great at all, he is a candidate to move to 1B but he might not be ready or an everyday player for another year or 2.  But if they believe in him sticking at 3rd they could be an option.  Even if a move to first is going to happen Napoli could represent a nice bridge for them. 

Milwaukee has no corner infielders in their system.  Their outfield prospects have good speed, good arms and aren't likely to make that move and they have a couple athletic SS so I don't see anyone who fits the profile to make that move.  I highly doubt they have the first baseman of their future in their system. 

Pittsburgh - I don't know what level of interest they would have but they don't really have any corner infield talent in their system.  They are stacked with a couple high end pitching prospects at the top followed by a few intriguing guys in the outfield.  

All things considered, all three teams could potentially have interest in Napoli. 

Sections
Shortcuts