The New Mr. Whiff!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The New Mr. Whiff!

For a long time JD Drew held that distinction but now we have a new leader, Saltalamacchia.
    In 316 PAs, he has struck out 92 times, that's once every 3.4 PAs. By comparison, Agon leads the team with 96 Ks in 601 PAs, a rate of once every 6.3 PAs.
    He left 7 guys on last night and his failure to put the ball in play at crucial times is rediculous. If he was hitting .275, we could probably overlook his flailing at the plate (and behind it as well; 18th PB).
    I'm sorry, but this guy is just a medicore player at best.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

Re: The New Mr. Whiff!

In Response to The New Mr. Whiff!:
    [QUOTE]For a long time JD Drew held that distinction but now we have a new leader, Saltalamacchia. In 316 PAs, he has struck out 92 times, that's once every 3.4 PAs. By comparison, Agon leads the team with 96 Ks in 601 PAs, a rate of once every 6.3 PAs. He left 7 guys on last night and his failure to put the ball in play at crucial times is rediculous. If he was hitting .275, we could probably overlook his flailing at the plate (and behind it as well; 18th PB). I'm sorry, but this guy is just a medicore player at best.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

alibi,

i'll break this to you gently. if it wasn't for mediocre athletes, there wouldn't be enough players to man the many teams in professional sports.

in fact, in most entertainment venues, mediocrity rules. just check out the top selling cd's or the biggest grossing films, or the most popular tv shows; for the most part, they're all mediocre.
    not fair to just single out salty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: The New Mr. Whiff!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The New Mr. Whiff! : alibi, i'll break this to you gently. if it wasn't for mediocre athletes, there wouldn't be enough players to man the many teams in professional sports. in fact, in most entertainment venues, mediocrity rules. just check out the top selling cd's or the biggest grossing films, or the most popular tv shows; for the most part, they're all mediocre. not fair to just single out salty.
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]
    Wow. Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with you, Yazzer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Post All-Star Break

Batting
    NAMEGPABRH2B3BHRRBITBBBSOSBCSBAOBPSLGOPS
    Dustin Pedroia44176256211162793171783.352.401.528.929
    David Ortiz32125194212083178172301.336.415.6241.039
    Drew Sutton6913000031200.333.400.333.733
    Mike Aviles18538172001192940.321.339.358.698
    Adrian Gonzalez43176265610062684183100.318.379.477.856
    Jacoby Ellsbury411743353821233101133081.305.358.580.938
    Ryan Lavarnway72337200394600.304.407.391.799
    Marco Scutaro3512818378111850121432.289.345.391.736
    Carl Crawford3914820408141762103691.270.311.419.729
    Jed Lowrie1867101820132341200.269.301.343.645
    Darnell McDonald2453141421392771111.264.355.509.864
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia291072027807225664100.252.298.523.822
    Josh Reddick4313119307041149102802.229.282.374.656
    Kevin Youkilis2710012214141539142120.210.319.390.709
    Yamaico Navarro92034100152700.200.273.250.523
    Jason Varitek1661712014112631900.197.246.426.672
    J.D. Drew51502100131400.133.188.200.388

SO 41/ AB 107 =  38.3%      

I think you are correct?    Highest on the team.

BUT!!!  He was really doing well there, late May - July

I think he can still develope into a pretty decent hitting catcher in the longrun? Also.....   He's got excellent power potential!  Watching him hit in batting practice is really something.  I saw him in Seattle, & blast after blast after blast......   Aug. 12 & 13th

Unfortunately!!!   He was in the midst of a hitting slump, so we didn't see it in those games :(

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The New Mr. Whiff! : Wow. Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with you, Yazzer.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

c'mon lloyd, you've loved me since hello.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Salty is strong, good power when he squares the ball up.  No question , he does need to cut down on the strikeouts.  His catching is a work in progress , as well. Overall , he has probably been better than expected.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The New Mr. Whiff! : alibi, i'll break this to you gently. if it wasn't for mediocre athletes, there wouldn't be enough players to man the many teams in professional sports. in fact, in most entertainment venues, mediocrity rules. just check out the top selling cd's or the biggest grossing films, or the most popular tv shows; for the most part, they're all mediocre. not fair to just single out salty.

Mediocre is a relative term huh?  I mean, Salty would hit any pitch you or I could serve up about a country mile and we wouldn't get one even remotely strike-zone-adjacent pitch by him.  And, I can't speak for you, but I am a very good athlete and not a half bad baseball player.  So, whilst Salty has his struggles facing the elite athletes who pitch in the majors, he is still about as far from being a mediocre athlete as you are from seeing Theo as a good GM.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

To BE FAIR :)   ...........

Just noticed this.......

SALTY:
    22 RBI's  in   29 games played    (since the All-Star Break)

****  NOT TOO SHABBY!

TEAM:   RBI's per AB  (since the All Star Break)

Papi    31/125   =   .25 RBI / AB
    Salty   22/107   =   .21 RBI / AB
    Ells.     33/174   =   .19
    V-Tek  11/61     =   .18
    D'Mac  9/53       =   .17
    PD       27/176   =   .15
    A-Gon  26/176   =   .149
    Scut    18/128   =   .14
    CC       17/148   =   .11
    Redc     11/131  =   .08
    Lowrie  3/67      =   .04

Yeh!  The strikeouts are pretty frustrating, BUT.....  NOT BAD PRODUCTION from Salty & Tek. since the All Star Break???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Salty has been far better from the left side of the plate.  He might just be a better left-handed hitter, but since he is a natural righty, I'm more inclined to think he just doesn't see enough at-bats from the right side to get into a rhythm.  

His strikeout rate is only slightly worse than Curtis Granderson (better from the left side) who many consider the MVP right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]To BE FAIR :)   ........... Just noticed this....... 22 RBI's  in   29 games played    (since the All-Star Break) ****  NOT TOO SHABBY! TEAM:   RBI's per AB  (since the All Star Break) Papi    31/125   =   .25 RBI / AB Salty   22/107   =   .21 RBI / AB Ells.     33/174   =   .19 V-Tek  11/61     =   .18 D'Mac  9/53       =   .17 PD       27/176   =   .15 A-Gon  26/176   =   .149 Scut    18/128   =   .14 CC       17/148   =   .11 Redc     11/131  =   .08 Lowrie  3/67      =   .04 Yeh!  The strikeouts are pretty frustrating, BUT.....  NOT BAD PRODUCTION from Salty & Tek. since the All Star Break???
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]
     Of course, but that would never get in the way of anything that would allow Alibi and Yazzer to s*&t on a Sox player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

This is what happens when you platoon catchers based upon who is your pitcher rather than based upon who is pitching against you.....Salty is hitting 206 vs lefties and Tek is batting 297.....but because Lackey is Saltys guy he goes vs one of the toughest lefties in the game. and tonight with Beckett....Tek will be going against the righty Hughes (.203) rather than Salty who is hitting 275 vs righties. Considering the off days, that probably would have been a good reason to pitch Becket vs CC in Game 1, on 5 days rest and Lackey vs hughes on 7 days rest.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiles-all-around. Show smiles-all-around's posts

speaking of wiffs, I just read an unbelievable stat.  David Robertson of the yankees has faced 16 batters with the bases loaded this year and he has struck out 13 of them, struck out 13 of 16 with bases loaded.  He has allowed only one hit in those 16 at bats as well.  That is amaing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The New Mr. Whiff! : Mediocre is a relative term huh?  I mean, Salty would hit any pitch you or I could serve up about a country mile and we wouldn't get one even remotely strike-zone-adjacent pitch by him.  And, I can't speak for you, but I am a very good athlete and not a half bad baseball player.  So, whilst Salty has his struggles facing the elite athletes who pitch in the majors, he is still about as far from being a mediocre athlete as you are from seeing Theo as a good GM.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

spaceman, please refrain from overusing the word ELITE, for soon it will lose all meaning, such as the word GREAT.
    SALTY is not far from being mediocre; as a catcher he is as mediocre as SLACKEY is as a pitcher or as theo is as a GM.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The New Mr. Whiff! : spaceman, please refrain from overusing the word ELITE, for soon it will lose all meaning, such as the word GREAT. SALTY is not far from being mediocre; as a catcher he is as mediocre as SLACKEY is as a pitcher or as theo is as a GM.

OK, I will refrain from using such words without context.  I will concede:  Among the elite baseball players who comprise the major leagues, Salty is mediocre compared to the best in the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The New Mr. Whiff! :  Of course, but that would never get in the way of anything that would allow Alibi and Yazzer to s*&t on a Sox player.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Space,

"Tru dat"  As my 13 yr. old son would say :) working on my foreign lang. skills :)

Yes!  He's been in a bit of a slump, & has been SO quite a bit lately.....  BUT!!!!!

All in all.....  I'm VERY pleased with his progress this year!!!  I think working with Tek has been invaluable, & allowed him to grow & learn!

Comparatively.....  Very good production from our catchers!  :)

the SO's can be frustrating though, esp. when one refuses to look at the bigger picture!  Also, several on this board are HELL BENT on looking to bash certain players.  Some....  Softy, Yazzer, Alibi, et. al  LOVE TO BASH quite a number of our players, & only compliment certain guys to cause dissention & controversy!
    The most despicable of this sort????   SOFTY!

* He pretends to run to the rescue of certain players (eg. Cameron), heaping false praise on them, simply to set a straw man argument that ALL Boston fans are a bunch of racists.  He now constantly takes this despicable, predictable, & insincere tack, in order to turn the tables on many who have witnessed, & called him on, his own racial bias toward many players.  It's unfortunate!  but several guys on here are simply trying to cause problems.  If guys like Softy were simply trying to cause a little controversy & stir the pot for the sake of debate, I would honestly enjoy that.  The RACIAL DEMAGOGUERY however is a bridge too far!!!! I honestly feel this is one of the most despicable thing a person could do!  It is flat out inexcusable!!!!

Alibi & Yazzer???   I think they just like picking fights with the opposition?  NO PROBLEM THERE!   :)    Bring it on  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The New Mr. Whiff! : i only sh*t on two players; crawford and slackey. theo is not a player, but i sh*t on him the most; justifiably so. tito is theo's puppet, so i sh*t on him for the fun of it.

well, at least you are regular.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]This is what happens when you platoon catchers based upon who is your pitcher rather than based upon who is pitching against you.....Salty is hitting 206 vs lefties and Tek is batting 297.....but because Lackey is Saltys guy he goes vs one of the toughest lefties in the game. and tonight with Beckett....Tek will be going against the righty Hughes (.203) rather than Salty who is hitting 275 vs righties. Considering the off days, that probably would have been a good reason to pitch Becket vs CC in Game 1, on 5 days rest and Lackey vs hughes on 7 days rest.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Nice point Tomnev!

BUT!!!  I do hate to mess with the Beckett - Tek thing, as it has really worked out well....  He is clearly more comfortable w/ Tek....  I wish they had paired Salty w/ Beckett in some of the "easy" games, during the mid season roll....  Perhaps they did, & I just don't remember???  Tek - Lackey, depending on the op. pitcher should def. be an option explored!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The New Mr. Whiff! : Nice point Tomnev! BUT!!!  I do hate to mess with the Beckett - Tek thing, as it has really worked out well....  He is clearly more comfortable w/ Tek....  I wish they had paired Salty w/ Beckett in some of the "easy" games, during the mid season roll....  Perhaps they did, & I just don't remember???  Tek - Lackey, depending on the op. pitcher should def. be an option explored!
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

I agree that I wouldnt have moved Tek off of Beckett, so if I am Tito and I know Tek is going to catch Beckett and only one gaame is the Yanks series and I have the ability to make that game the one vs the Yanks lefty starter....I do so. Especially since I am missing one of my Key right hand bats in Youkilis. Plus if I move him up to face CC, then he gets to pitch Sunday vs Texas....now both Beckett and Lester miss the Ranger series this weekend......water under the bridge now....and I will give Tito the benefit of the doubt that he had his reasons

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

These are the top 11 batters all time in striking out:

Reggie Jackson
    Jim Thome
    Sammy Sosa
    Andres Galarraga
    Jose Canseco
    Willie Stargell
    Mike Schmidt
    Fred McGriff
    Tony Perez
    Mike Cameron
    ALEX RODRIGUEZ

Pretty good company , except for Cameron.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The New Mr. Whiff! : I agree that I wouldnt have moved Tek off of Beckett, so if I am Tito and I know Tek is going to catch Beckett and only one gaame is the Yanks series and I have the ability to make that game the one vs the Yanks lefty starter....I do so. Especially since I am missing one of my Key right hand bats in Youkilis. Plus if I move him up to face CC, then he gets to pitch Sunday vs Texas....now both Beckett and Lester miss the Ranger series this weekend......water under the bridge now....and I will give Tito the benefit of the doubt that he had his reasons
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

GREAT POINTS!!!   :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

All that I'm saying is give Salty a chance.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

alibi,

i'll break this to you gently. if it wasn't for mediocre athletes, there wouldn't be enough players to man the many teams in professional sports.

in fact, in most entertainment venues, mediocrity rules. just check out the top selling cd's or the biggest grossing films, or the most popular tv shows; for the most part, they're all mediocre.
    not fair to just single out salty.

theYAZZER

-------------------------

Signs of the apocalypse=agreeing with theYAZZER.  But he's right...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]These are the top 11 batters all time in striking out: Reggie Jackson Jim Thome Sammy Sosa Andres Galarraga Jose Canseco Willie Stargell Mike Schmidt Fred McGriff Tony Perez Mike Cameron ALEX RODRIGUEZ Pretty good company , except for Cameron.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I bilieve the OP said the K's would be acceptable with a little more production behind them. IMO Salty is a work in progress and needs more playing time, as oppossed to Tek who, although having a good year for him, needs to step aside.
       With catching always being in demand, Salty should be given any and all chances to succeed

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

in general I don't think

strikeouts are as bad as many make them sound to be

what does it matter when

-leading off an inning

- no one one base

-with 2 outs

I'm not saying they don't sting extra with the runner on

2nd or 3rd less than 2 outs

I'm just saying, they aren't all so bad 

less DP's and help build that pitch count

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]All that I'm saying is give Salty a chance.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

hey john,
    do the SOX have a choice?
    btw, i do believe they shot the wrong beatle.
    YESTERDAY anyone?

Sections
Shortcuts