The New "Yaz"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: The New

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

One of ESPN's so-called gurus has likened this Bradley kid to Derek Jeter! He does take into consideration that Bradley plays the outfield and bats lefty. If this guru had been around a lttle longer, he might have remembered Carl Yastrzemski!

Now, there's a match!

Well, I'm going to go with another lefty who also played the outfield, centerfield no less, was fast as lightning and electric as a youngster ... Freddy Lynn!  

Bradley isnt fast as lightning though.  I feel like we can do better on the comparison.

I don't remember Lynn being all that fast either. I think Lyn might have had more power than JBJ though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Naw, he's definitely a Kirby. Short and somewhat squat with a great positive attitude and solid ability to hit and defend. If we can keep him under 240 lb we have a pocket Kirby Puckett.

Thats a good one. 

Comparisons:

Great work ethic/approach to the game

Defensive instincts

Above average (but not gazelle) speed

great contact hitting

Body type

I just dont know if Bradley has quite as much power potential.  Its hard to predict Bradleys power because he has the bodytype/potential to add 15 HR pop, but we havent seen it in the minors.

Bradleys power is a wildcard.

But I mean, Ill gladly take Kirby Pucket - 5-10 homeruns.  Not trying to kill the optimism.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

One of ESPN's so-called gurus has likened this Bradley kid to Derek Jeter! He does take into consideration that Bradley plays the outfield and bats lefty. If this guru had been around a lttle longer, he might have remembered Carl Yastrzemski!

Now, there's a match!

Well, I'm going to go with another lefty who also played the outfield, centerfield no less, was fast as lightning and electric as a youngster ... Freddy Lynn!  

Bradley isnt fast as lightning though.  I feel like we can do better on the comparison.

Haha. K.  Good point.  Let's go with the Gatah!!!  Mike Greenwell.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Why compare him to anyone? Just let Bradley be Bradley.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Bradley's plate discipline and defense - his two most advanced assets - are actually reminiscent of JD Drew. But to make this comparison work, you have to remember Drew had a career prior to Boston...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Now, there's a match!

Greenwell was an atrocious defender who never saw a pitch he did not like...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Now, there's a match!

Hmm.  Good point.  I quit this game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Because Im hungover and having trouble focusing on work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Now, there's a match!

Poor defender.  Atrocious is harsh.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

He wasnt Adam Dunn out there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

No, but he did make me recall Rice's fielding fondly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Because Im hungover and having trouble focusing on work.

:)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

No, but he did make me recall Rice's fielding fondly.

hahaha.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    Outstanding Spaceman.......  "THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIENDS, WE THOUGHT THEY WOULD NEVER END"  !!!!

Huh??  They never won a WS.....they gave us a ton of heart  breaks and the 'days' you refer of did not last long at all.  Did you even watch them back then?  Give me the 2002 - 2008 Sox teams ANYDAY.  THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!

is not always about winning a WS althoughit helps. Back in 67 we had no hope then by the AS break we had hope. From then on every yar we had hope some more than others.
     Prior to 67 they were lucky for many years to crack 80  wins after that yr 80 became the lower of the amount of wins.

BTW enjoying the season as a whole can be as good as winning a WS. 2003 was disapointing at the end but was a great season overall

[/QUOTE]

I agree with where you're coming from.  The thing is though...there were A LOT of bad season's and horrible teams mixed in there.  From 1965 to 1999 the Sox had a TOTAL of eight 90 win seasons.  From 2000 to now they had nine 90 win seasons....and 2 WS........  Again.....YES there were some VERY fun seasons to watch and great teams that will live in our minds forever..... but the 2000's can't be beat in terms of winning.  I think the recent collapse of this team has tainted a lot of our impressions of the Sox.  Let's not also forget that the last decade has been one of the most exciting and prosperous time for them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Now, there's a match!

I like all things Yaz .... hard to tell, eh?  But Jackie, while he is elelctric in possibility and exciting in reality, carries a different skill set than Yaz. 

I have no problem considering Spaceman's comparison to Freddie.  I only hope we don't lose hime too soon, like we did that golden child.

Not fighting words, because the consideration of EITHER Sox star is  HAPPY place.