The next manager should be.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: The next manager should be.......

The top candidates will come from Tampa both Dave Martinez and Jim Hickey are quality guys. Hale will get an interview and maybe keeping the hiring in house is the answer. whoever is hired better be bringing a new third base coach with him!! because if you think Tito had a bad year try looking at all the guys Bogar got thrown out at home! Trey Hillman is another candidate and Don Wakamatsu is on the list also according to Seattle sports talk radio.Good luck to all the guys interested in working for the Sox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

What about Piniella? He's a no nonsense guy who wouldn't be afraid to get into someone's face; player, umpire, FO, media, or otherwise.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: The next manager should be.......:
    [QUOTE]What about Piniella? He's a no nonsense guy who wouldn't be afraid to get into someone's face; player, umpire, FO, media, or otherwise.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]I always liked Piniella, even when he was a Yankee.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I want to change my answer. I want to see BOSOX1941 manage this team.  He's been claiming to be an expert on how to manage for several years now.  Here is his opportunity to prove himself...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Which reminds me, where is the Baseball DR? This is his shining moment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The next manager should be....... : Which reminds me, where is the Baseball DR? This is his shining moment.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

The Rubber Room.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

The best guy is not available.

Joe Madden

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The next manager should be....... : Which reminds me, where is the Baseball DR? This is his shining moment.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

My guess? Commiting baseball malpractice...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The next manager should be....... : a case could be made that loosing bench coach Brad Mills 2 yrs ago  was a big factor this yr,  
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]
    What did he do as bench coach?  And , what has he done in Houston?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The next manager should be....... : My guess? Commiting baseball malpractice...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]Or studying for his doctorate in football so he can second guess Bellichik too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jim Leyland.

His contract runs out this year.

Joe Maddon's runs out next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The next manager should be....... : Or studying for his doctorate in football so he can second guess Bellichik too.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!

I thought I nailed it, but that made me laugh out loud...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I'm going with Donald Trump...doesn't look like he will be doing anything important next year since he decided not to become president.  He is a no nonsense guy, makes more than any one player on the team and if management doesn't do it his way he could buy them out and do it anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

a case could be made that loosing bench coach Brad Mills 2 yrs ago was a big factor this yr,

What did he do as bench coach?

I don't know exactly dgalehouse

I also feel torre / yanks never were the same  after loosing zimmer

if nothing else he / bench coaches give the mgr a  confidant

some one to not only help see and suggest things during games

but I also think in some cases they handle a lot of the locker room stuff

if nothing else there's some one there who  always has the mgr's back

unlike torre/ zim these guys were tight way B4 the sox

including philly and college

here's terry on the day mills left

“The thing I think that gets lost a little bit in the translation is that I’ve probably learned more from Millsie than he’s ever learned from me.

“I’ve always looked up to him. We can go back all the way to [the University of Arizona] when I was a freshman and he was a junior. He was always a bit of a big-brother type to me. Things work out funny sometimes, and he was a coach, but the bench coach, the way we do things, listens to an earful from me probably more often than they want to. Because of our relationship, he probably warranted it more than he should have, but I always looked up to him.’’

And , what has he done in Houston?

nothing good, but not relevant IMO

who knows maybe it was ferral that was helping keeping the boys in line

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

[QUOTE]Tony Pena isn't a very exciting name, although I agree he's a good candidate. He played in Boston, he's a former catcher, he's been an active coach for several years, he managed a mediocre Kansas City Royals team to an above-.500 record, he's currently with the Yankees, and he's Latino which might help with the Spanish-speaking players on the team. He'd be a solid choice, IF 1) he's a stats guy and 2) he's bold enough to discipline players, instead of befriend them. Does anyone know the answer to those two questions? I'd really like to see Dennis Eckersley replace Curt Young as pitching coach. Young clearly didn't get the job done, fair or not, and listening to Eckersley on NESN tells me he really knows his pitching. Maybe give him a one-year trial run? I also love the idea of Kevin Millar on the coaching staff. You can't have a guy like Millar as a manager, but for 1B coach, why not? He's a tremendous team chemistry guy and 1B coach is basically a nothing position anyway. Let Millar be the goofy pal and Pena the no-nonsense disciplinarian. Pena for MNG, Eckersley as pitching coach, Millar as 1B coach? Another name to consider is Larry Bowa. He has a reputation for demanding a lot from his players.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

best ideas so far.just add a good hitting coach,trainers and medical staff

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]Brian Daubach
    Posted by copyul8[/QUOTE]

I Copy u!  Dauber is currently managing in the Nats farm system!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Or, folks, how about one of my favorite Bills?  Billy Buckner of Bill Spaceman Lee?????????

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Another possiblity could be former Seattle manager Don Wakamatsu

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

If everything I've read over the last 36 hours is true, they will likely hire a sabermetrics guy.   Who are those guys?  I have no idea.  But I mean, Grady Little was run out here because he was clearly old school and, for the lack of a better analogy and at the risk of slandering him, likely couldn't figure out how to turn on the computer never mind use it.  So they went to Francona, and if I recall, they mentioned back then that he was more of the saber ilk having worked in Oakland as bench coach.  Now, 8 years later, the whispers and Shaughnessey reports, indicate Henry's frustrations with Francona not paying heed to the statistical numbers generated in the bowels of Fenway.  So in the end was Francona closer to Grady Little?  Sounds like it. He built up solid cache with the two WS titles.  But ya know.  Did Maddon look at the number when he sent up Johnson the other night?  Sometimes it just is what it is. 

Baseball is a 162 games, a schedule that large indicates that the numbers do play out.  I'm sure Henry's view on this is they didn't lose this Wednesday night, they lost it during the year to the countless games they let get away. 

The next Manager will be a saber guy period.  Whoever heard of Joe Maddon before?  I never did.  but he WAS a leading candidate to manage our Red Sox back when they hired Francona.  So I'm sure they have a list if they have been considering this for some time. 

Oh yes, I don't believe Theo will be let go.  He will leave when ownership leaves.  His legacy, everything is at stake.  I truly believe that Boston is a pinnacle job, everything else is a step down.  In other words, for everyone who has played managed  or worked for the RS it was the highlight of their career. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Bill James.    

John Henry seems to think he's a sabermetrical genius.     No reason to do anything but wave to the players then get on with the stats.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

Herm Edwards... you play the game to win.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]I want to change my answer. I want to see BOSOX1941 manage this team.  He's been claiming to be an expert on how to manage for several years now.  Here is his opportunity to prove himself...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I never claimed to be an expert, but we both know any of us regular posters could do as well as and more than likely better that our EX manager.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I've thought all along that Mike Lowell would be an excellent manager. I'd certainly consider Eckersly and what about Carlton Fiske? The last thing needed is a clone of Francona. All of his attributes had nothing to do with what happens on the field during a game. Once the game started, they could've blindfolded him and plugged his ears and probably gotten better results.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jim Leyland.

Sections
Shortcuts