The next player Ben needs to sign is Shaun Marcum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

The next player Ben needs to sign is Shaun Marcum

I have always liked his stuff going back to his Toronto days. He missed two months earlier in the season but came back strong and finished the season on a very good note. He would be cheap as well. Maybe one year deal or two with incentives of course. Having pitched already in the AL East would be a postive as well. He is also a great strikeout pitcher. Finshed with 109 k's in 124 IP. I say get it done Ben.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The next player Ben needs to sign is Shaun Marcum

I'd like Marcum as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ithink since Guthrie got what he got, its safe to say marcum will get in the area of 3/30

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I felt since last year  he should also be a target.

I also feel after seeing his production in  Aug and Sept Ichiro would be a good signing for two reasons; he is still very productive and he would be kept from the Yankees. He could play a great RF, has a strong arm and can steal at will. In addition he would be a great role model for JBJ, Brentz and all. He keeps himself in geat shape and could probably lead the league in doubles. If they are thinking he would be a target of the Rays he may not be asking for the moon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Marcum would be a good sign.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have always liked his stuff going back to his Toronto days. He missed two months earlier in the season but came back strong and finished the season on a very good note. He would be cheap as well. Maybe one year deal or two with incentives of course. Having pitched already in the AL East would be a postive as well. He is also a great strikeout pitcher. Finshed with 109 k's in 124 IP. I say get it done Ben.

[/QUOTE]

I was always a huge fan of Marcum until I watched him pitch in the PS.  He would still be a nice addition.

0 and 3 lifetime with a 14.90 ERA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The coaching staff that came over to the Sox from Toronto are familiar with him. Why not put him in the middle of the rotation( he knows the competive level in the east div.). Lester Buch Marcum Doubront Lackey ( i am going repeat myself if lackey rebounds positve from his TJ surgery just another bonus).

I am not going to let this grey cloud from last season hang over my head every team has it moments.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Another thought I like to add but if Marcum is signed, would any of you be aganist going after Haren or maybe trying to give Sanchez a sizeable contract. My thinking behind this is, maybe Doubront along with Salty and Aceves could go in a trade of sorts to maybe land us one of those Royal player like Hosmer, who I think would be a nice addition at 1b. Just a thought. Haren is someone I have always liked and Sanchez to me, might be coming into his own. Put a good offensive team behind Sanchez and I see him winning 14 plus times a season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

Another thought I like to add but if Marcum is signed, would any of you be aganist going after Haren or maybe trying to give Sanchez a sizeable contract. My thinking behind this is, maybe Doubront along with Salty and Aceves could go in a trade of sorts to maybe land us one of those Royal player like Hosmer, who I think would be a nice addition at 1b. Just a thought. Haren is someone I have always liked and Sanchez to me, might be coming into his own. Put a good offensive team behind Sanchez and I see him winning 14 plus times a season.

[/QUOTE]

I am on the get Hosner for a while cause of his age is younger then most FA 1B. Then the Sox can sign vet 1B Berkman to a one year contract a low risk value for back up 1st base duties and pinch hitter. To get Hosner the Royals are looking for help and experience players maybe Doubront Morales or Acevez could get things started. Other players that Royals could use are Kalish Sweeney. The Sands kid from Dodgers trade could be on the depth in the RF and 1B for the Sox. Maybe we can send Ells to the Royals for straight up trade and sign Bourne.

Kyle Lohse is also been a popular name popping up lately in the market.

The Giants are looking to trade Linecum if they get a good package in return but this very highly unlikely. This would be exciting seeing this ace in the Red Sox nation.

After signing Gomes the Sox still have money to spend and there are still FA big names  unsign and trade expectations.

BC it is up too you stick to your promise to make this Red Sox team exciting to watch and long term contenders. Please don't go for an overnight fix

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%!!!    :)

I hope the Red Sox get McCarthy too.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

The coaching staff that came over to the Sox from Toronto are familiar with him. Why not put him in the middle of the rotation( he knows the competive level in the east div.). Lester Buch Marcum Doubront Lackey ( i am going repeat myself if lackey rebounds positve from his TJ surgery just another bonus). I am not going to let this grey cloud from last season hang over my head every team has it moments.

That could be a decent starting rotation ... it will be interesting to see what contract Shaun Marcum lands.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to boborielly224's comment:

The coaching staff that came over to the Sox from Toronto are familiar with him. Why not put him in the middle of the rotation( he knows the competive level in the east div.). Lester Buch Marcum Doubront Lackey ( i am going repeat myself if lackey rebounds positve from his TJ surgery just another bonus). I am not going to let this grey cloud from last season hang over my head every team has it moments.

That could be a decent starting rotation ... it will be interesting to see what contract Shaun Marcum lands.

[/QUOTE]

Let's just hope the contract he signs is with the Red Sox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Marcum is an acceptable alternative.  I like Haren better, but there might be health issues.

I think a lot of people might have prematurely written off Francisco Liriano, who is an excellent bounce back candidate....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Marcum is an acceptable alternative.  I like Haren better, but there might be health issues.

I think a lot of people might have prematurely written off Francisco Liriano, who is an excellent bounce back candidate....

[/QUOTE]

Do you think ikts a good idea to have 3 LHP in the rotation? Especially in Fenway, which is friendly to RHH...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you think ikts a good idea to have 3 LHP in the rotation? Especially in Fenway, which is friendly to RHH...

[/QUOTE]

Was Hurst-Tudor-Ojeda really all that bad?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Actually would it really matter if you had 3 right handers with the nickname "way back" as in John "Way back-way back" Wasdin.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Were they better than Doubront Lester and Liriano?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Reading other threads, a lot of people are getting on the Shaun Marcum bandwagon. For those that want Shaun Marcum, I think its important to point out he has some arm issues. He is a major soft tosser. He has been gradually getting worse. He was bad when coming back from injury late last year. He has never been all that good. And he isn't young.

Lets begin with the health. He went down last year with "elbow tightness". He missed 10 weeks with that injury. When he returned the last 6 weeks, he wasn't good including a 1.464 WHIP. This is a huge red flag.

Does anybody know how slow Marcum's fastball is? His career fastball average velocity is 87.0 mph. Last year it was 86.3 mph. And after returning from elbow issues, it averaged less then 86 mph. The worst of his career.

His K/BB, WHIP, WAR, and xFIP have all gotten gradually worse the last 3 seasons.

Unless you think his elbow is going to get a lot better this year, he is not a guy to go after. Even if you do, its a gamble on a long term deal of more then 1 year.

There are lots of better and smarter alternatives. Marcum has only a pretty good upside to go along with a huge downside. His upside might not even be good enough to be afraid the best Marcum can provide might still block Barnes-Webster-DeLaRosa long term. He has had only 1 season with a WAR above 3 for example. And if you are going to gamble, I suggest Dan Haren is a better bet.

This bandwagon is slow, has a bad wheel, is getting rusty, and was never that good.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd prefer McCarthy over Marcum, and maybe if we trade Doubront or Morales, we could look to Liriano.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd prefer McCarthy over Marcum, and maybe if we trade Doubront or Morales, we could look to Liriano.

[/QUOTE]

McCarthy is a much better gamble.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

McCarthy, Marcum and Anderson (via trade).  

Anderson is fine.  Just ask the Tigers. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Marcum would be a good acquisition.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

they never gave Tudor time

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sanchez or Villanueva or both, would be nice additions as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree about McCarthy, but all reports are that he wants to stay on left coast. Liriano I would stay away from, he's lazy and doesn't like to work [why he's probably always on trading block it seems]. Haren has the most upside, but is he healthy? Marcum I have no problem signing, don't need to throw 100 to win, just ask Jamie Moyer. But we need guys who can give us IP's. Of the bunch I would prefer Haren [if healthy] he's proven to be a workhorse for his career. I see who I can get on the shortest term contract of the bunch and wouldn't go over 3 yrs on any of them. Hopefully by then we'll have Barnes / Webster / De La Rosa / Owens pushing for spots or already in rotation.

Sections
Shortcuts