1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: The next player Ben needs to sign is Shaun Marcum

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:

I have always liked his stuff going back to his Toronto days. He missed two months earlier in the season but came back strong and finished the season on a very good note. He would be cheap as well. Maybe one year deal or two with incentives of course. Having pitched already in the AL East would be a postive as well. He is also a great strikeout pitcher. Finshed with 109 k's in 124 IP. I say get it done Ben.

I was always a huge fan of Marcum until I watched him pitch in the PS.  He would still be a nice addition.

0 and 3 lifetime with a 14.90 ERA.

• At BA  6.69
    • At YS2 6.27
    • At YS3 7.36
    • At TB  5.84

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I have always liked his stuff going back to his Toronto days. He missed two months earlier in the season but came back strong and finished the season on a very good note. He would be cheap as well. Maybe one year deal or two with incentives of course. Having pitched already in the AL East would be a postive as well. He is also a great strikeout pitcher. Finshed with 109 k's in 124 IP. I say get it done Ben.

• At BA  6.69
    • At YS2 6.27
    • At YS3 7.36
    • At TB  5.84

Most of those numbers are from years ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

• At BA  6.69
    • At YS2 6.27
    • At YS3 7.36
    • At TB  5.84

Just like Greinke, they indicate to me that he might not like pitching under pressure.  It wouldn't be a deal-breaker on the right contract, but just one more piece of data with which to make a decision.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• At BA  6.69
    • At YS2 6.27
    • At YS3 7.36
    • At TB  5.84

Just like Greinke, they indicate to me that he might not like pitching under pressure.  It wouldn't be a deal-breaker on the right contract, but just one more piece of data with which to make a decision.

Greinke has pitched pretty well "under pressure" recently, unless you want to only look at 3 playoff starts... a super tiny sample size.

I don't see how we can make projections about pressure with marcum. His numbers with Toronto were from when he was younger and inexperienced. I do not think they are accurate indicators of what he will do in 2013, but there is always that concern when signing someone.

Some other "pressure" indicator stats:

Late & Close:

Greinke  .637 OPS against

Marcum  .706 OPS against

High Leverage:

Greinke  .657 OPS against

Marcum  .763 OPS against

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

• At BA  6.69
    • At YS2 6.27
    • At YS3 7.36
    • At TB  5.84

There are definitely questions about Marcum's attitude and the word is two of his former teams (Toronto & Milwaukee) aren't interested at all.  The Sox have made it clear that a player's makeup is a huge factor, which is why I don't see Marcum as an option. 

I can't wait until Greinke signs his ridiculous contract (his agents now claim he'll easily go above the Cain deal), so people will stop the absolutely ridiculous "maybe the Sox will sign Greinke" posts. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

• At BA  6.69
    • At YS2 6.27
    • At YS3 7.36
    • At TB  5.84

There are definitely questions about Marcum's attitude and the word is two of his former teams (Toronto & Milwaukee) aren't interested at all.  The Sox have made it clear that a player's makeup is a huge factor, which is why I don't see Marcum as an option. 

I can't wait until Greinke signs his ridiculous contract (his agents now claim he'll easily go above the Cain deal), so people will stop the absolutely ridiculous "maybe the Sox will sign Greinke" posts. 

I still think trading for Brett Anderson and signing Mccarthy is a nice plan for a longer term future.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

• At BA  6.69
    • At YS2 6.27
    • At YS3 7.36
    • At TB  5.84

I still think trading for Brett Anderson and signing Mccarthy is a nice plan for a longer term future.

I'd love to get Brett Anderson, but again, Billy Beane said he wasn't trading Brett Anderson and why would he?  The A's plan to contend, he's still affordable and if for some reason the A's aren't competitive at next year's deadline, the contending teams will be fighting over him.  He's not going anywhere this offseason, unless it's a gross overpay and I doubt the Sox Front Office would be willing to be the team that does "overpay" for him.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

I'd love to get Brett Anderson, but again, Billy Beane said he wasn't trading Brett Anderson and why would he?  The A's plan to contend, he's still affordable and if for some reason the A's aren't competitive at next year's deadline, the contending teams will be fighting over him.  He's not going anywhere this offseason, unless it's a gross overpay and I doubt the Sox Front Office would be willing to be the team that does "overpay" for him.  

1) GMs often say they aren't going to trade someone right before trading them.

2) The A's did pretty well without Anderson in 2012 and have a pretty deep rotation without Anderson and McCarthy.

3) The A's have huge weaknesses at a few positions: catcher (we have a surplus), SS (Bogaerts?), and offense upgrades anywhere.

Plus, I think if we give the A's 2 of Tazawa, Morales or Doubront, their staff will not be hurt that badly by losing Anderson. Then, give them Lava or Salty and they have a huge upgrade at catcher.

If they only take one pitcher, we could give them Bogaerts instead.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Oakland A's won the AL West down the stretch without McCarthy (hit by a pitch) and Anderson (surgery).

The A's need a SS and they have a surplus of good starting pitchers who now have experience under their belt.  So they can afford to trade Anderson to help fill their needs. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

1) GMs often say they aren't going to trade someone right before trading them.

2) The A's did pretty well without Anderson in 2012 and have a pretty deep rotation without Anderson and McCarthy.

3) The A's have huge weaknesses at a few positions: catcher (we have a surplus), SS (Bogaerts?), and offense upgrades anywhere.

Plus, I think if we give the A's 2 of Tazawa, Morales or Doubront, their staff will not be hurt that badly by losing Anderson. Then, give them Lava or Salty and they have a huge upgrade at catcher.

If they only take one pitcher, we could give them Bogaerts instead.

Yes, Moon, General Managers "say they're not trading a guy, then trade them" to beat writers when everyone is expecting the General Manager to trade them.  This isn't the case.  It makes no sense to trade him right now, which I've already explained to you more than once.

One thing I do know is that Bogaerts is pretty much untouchable.  There is zero chance the Sox trade him for a Brett Anderson.  The only way they would ever trade this kid right now is in a package for a "franchise type" player, because that's exactly what they feel he is going to be.  The organization is a little higher on him than you have been in the last year.  Many in the organization think he is going to be a superstar and his makeup is tremendous, something this Front Office puts a high value on. 

By the way, McCarthy is a free agent.  There are no guarantees that he is coming back. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

I agree

• You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Another thought I like to add but if Marcum is signed, would any of you be aganist going after Haren or maybe trying to give Sanchez a sizeable contract. My thinking behind this is, maybe Doubront along with Salty and Aceves could go in a trade of sorts to maybe land us one of those Royal player like Hosmer, who I think would be a nice addition at 1b. Just a thought. Haren is someone I have always liked and Sanchez to me, might be coming into his own. Put a good offensive team behind Sanchez and I see him winning 14 plus times a season.

BINGO! 

Except the trade should be with Minnesota for Morneau and Mauer, not KC.  Minny only has 3 starters.  Doubront or Lester would be traded in any such a trade, along with Aceves (who could start and seems to still want to).  So Sox could help fill out their rotation, return a catcher for the one they lose, and open up a spot for Minny's young 1B prospect, all while saving Minny some cash.  But the Sox would need to sign 2 starters.  My choices are Haren and Sanchez.  But Marcum and Sanchez works out nice.  Even Haren and Marcum would not be bad, especially if Doubront is the one traded, and not Lester.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Doesn't Mauer have six years, $138 million left on his contract?

He also has a full no-trade clause (Something Reyes and Buehrle failed to do. LOL).  Maybe he is comfortable playing in his hometown.  

Mauer has a high on-base percentage, but his power has gone down (as well as his health).

Unless Minnesota eats up a large chunk of his contract, I do not want Mauer playing for the Red Sox.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Sox need to address the pitching situation --once they do then they will attract FA who will believe they are serious about winning.

Lohse, Sanchez and Haren are my top three choices. Jackson and Marcum would make a nice rotation. $60 M.

Ben then become "Trader Ben"--trade Lester, Buch, Doubie, Lackey for position needs and prospects. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from -Guru-Meditation-. Show -Guru-Meditation-'s posts

• Sections
    Shortcuts