The Nitty Gritty on Where the Fault Lies: Offense vs Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: The Nitty Gritty on Where the Fault Lies: Offense vs Defense

plus, with this staff, sometimes we need to score 10 to win.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

bump

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The problem is the offense. Last night, the offense scored 3 earned runs against a pitiful Kansas City team. Ditto, tonight. Pitiful! Offense is the problem, outstanding pitching by the Red Sox, tonight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: The Nitty Gritty on Where the Fault Lies: Offense vs Defense:
    How come Bob McClure, the pitching coach, has gone relatively unscathed through any of this????  Not one of his pitchers are doing well.  Isnt he supposed to be the one to work with them to correct their problems.  All i have seen is the staff gettign worse game by game.
    Posted by sox4life2280

The pitching coach is hardly the problem..you've had 3 the last 3 years..McClure is still learning these guys...Lester fell in love with that cutter and uses it way too much IMO...Beckett wouldn't listen to Ferrell or the dipstick we had last year so I'm sure he could care less what McClure has to say..and Buchholz is just a freakin head case...I said this in another thread..Your 4 & 5 are your best pitchers on the staff right now, and the ironic thing is they are still learning HOW to pitch...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The offense is hot and cold, the defense and pitching just plain blow right now...out of all three, the least of my worries is the offense...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

The ALE is 12-41 when scoring 3 or less runs, the Sox lead their brethren with 13 games at 3 or less (1-12), they also lead the pack in scoring 10 or more runs with 8 games, the rest of the division has 7 combined. The offense is at both ends of the extreme.
                    3 Run Games      Record    10+ Run games         Current W  L
     Boston            13              1-12               8                       12-17
     Rays               12              5-7                1                       19-11
     Jays               11              1-10               1                       16-14
     NYY               10              1-9                 3                       16-13
     Baltimore          7              4-3                 2                       19-11

Showalter's Orioles have had the most consistent offense, and the best bullpen
    so it's no surprise they're in the catbird seat. Give credit to the Rays, playing the second most 3 run games, they've eked out 5 wins, at the current pace, the Sox would need through September to pick up 5 wins in low scoring games.
     This year's team should be called "Boom and Bust". Give the Sox 4 runs and their record  "improves" to 2-14.
     Blaming the umpires is the mark of a scoundrel, you gotta hit, baby!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

When Scoring 4 runs the ALE is 9-8, The Yankees have yet to score just 4 runs in any game, the ALE when scoring 4 or less is 21-49, clearly, to compete in this division, you have to score runs, (5 or more). More than half the games were decided at the 5+ run level, and most of the wins 61/82 as well. Good pitching helps win a few squeakers, but without the bats, you're in the second division.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: The Nitty Gritty on Where the Fault Lies: Offense vs Defense:
    I checked the game logs and when they score less than 6 runs, they're 2-13.  Now that is the mark of some terrible pitching, isn't it? 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

The real fault lies in that maybe half the team wants out of Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Okay--here's a novel idea:
    Let's go back to how it was going to be.
    Sweeney and Ross platoon in Right.
    Aviles in Left.
    Iggy at SS.
    NEW IDEA-----Lin in Center(best def. outfielder in the system).
    New Catcher--Lavarnway (How much worse can he be).
    Lineup:
    Aviles--LF
    Pedroia--2B
    Orrtiz--DH
    AGon--1b
    Middy--3B
    Lav---C
    Sweeney--RF
    Lin--CF
    Iggy--SS

If we can't hit we need to put the best defense on the field.

Do what you want with Shop, Salty, DMac, Punto, Buch Suspend Beckett if it comes out no coaches or GM or doctors gave him the okay to golf when he was essentially on the DL. Then for him not to come forward and offer to pitch an inning in the 17 inn. game---he's a selfish ballplayer and doesn't deserve to be on any team I support.

Can you imagine Beckett doing that to Bob Kraft or BB. If he did it without checking with a higher-up he must have just felt in his gutt "Maybe I shouldn't be doing this." ...and then went ahead and did it anyway.

So here's how the Sox do this and we all know they can't do any worse.

1. Place Beckett on the "Restrited List"  without pay(I read somewhere no pay is an option)--Keppenger-Rays--let him fight it out with the Players Union.

2. Drop Buch to AAA

For the next two days:Starter by committee--Padilla goes tonight. Tomorrow Miller, Atch, and Mortenson.

3. DFA DMac and Byrd--Option Salty to AAA

4. Bring up Iggy, Lav, Linares and Lin.

5 Ross on bench as the 4 th OF.

6 Punto on bench as 2,3,SS replace. 

If it doesn't work what have you lost!!!!!! Support your players, manager, and GM. Sometime change is needed and radical change necessary. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In the end it's not that hard to see why the Sox are struggling...you can manipulate the numbers to tell whatever story you want...Here's a few facts that cannot be disputed...

Offense...Gonzo is struggling, Ellsbury, Youk and Crawford all are on the DL. If each were on the field everyday and prodcutive our lineup would be pretty potent...in baseball a game played daily...Lineups are built to ensure pruduction daily becasue even the best hitters fail 70% on the time. When a 3rd of your lineup is on the DL and your best hitter starts slowly...no team can overcome that type of hit to the roster and it shows when you facew good pitching....

to put it in perspective take Granderson, Gardner & Arod out of the Yankees lineup along with Texiera hitting below the medoza line and they too would struggle to consistantly score runs.

Starting Pitching; the returns to date have been spotty at best. This team was built with the mindset that Lester, Beckett and Buccholz would carry the load while youngsters Doubront and Bard got thier feet wet...in my mind only the kids have pulled thier weight. Like it or not this team will go as far and Lester, Beckett and Buccholz takes us...we need both length and quality starts from each of them...short of that we're done. Lester in particular has not stepped up and shown himself to be worthy of the high prasie of being among the best in the game...period!

The Pen: We started the season with our primary closer on the DL...which then forced us to use our every thing man Aceves in that role...due to the loss of Bailey it had a trickle effect on the depth and the roles each member of the pen...Melancon who was aquired to be a late innings guy, is now in AAA...In the process of redifining roles and seeing what we have...they've coughed up winnable games...which unfortunately was to be expected, of late, the pen has begun to hold it's own...but it's clearly not a stregnth.

The Bench: I'd say that the addition of Ross and Sweeney has for the most part been a success. MacDonald had done about what was expected and again if 2/3rd of the starting outfield had not gone down. he'd be more likely than not playing in AAA...However due to the loss of both Crawford and Ellsbury both Ross and Sweeney are playing everyday (which was not the intent when this roster was built) and due to loss of both of our starting outfielders, it nessesitated our adding Bryd to the roster to play center...Shoppach is a servicable BU catcher, Punto a servicable untility infielder. Neither are defensive upgrades for the late innings....

The defense: We lost a GG center fielder and the leftside of the infield ain't exactly the 1970 Orioles...add to that the need for both Sweeney and Ross to learn the ways of Fenway...and to put it kindly this might be the worst defensive team we've fielded since Henry bought the club...I won't even go down the CERA road behind the plate...

Sorry but if anyone expected this team to be playing .600 ball given the state of the roster. They're dilusional...Who's to blame...I think that question might make for a great thread...becasue there's plenty of finger pointing to go around.

If we are to pull ourselves out of what is looking more and more like a team in need of a labotomy...It's starts with Beckett & Lester! We need them to pitch like the aces their being paid to be...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

How about this for crazy stats:

The Red Sox are 19-38 in their last 57 games.  In 11 of their wins they scored 10 or more runs.  They also did it in 2 of the losses.

In games in which they didn't reach double figures in runs, their record is 8-36. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

You can win with Good Pitching and Strong Defense or you can win by just out scoring the opposition--but if you have mediocre pitching and not much clutch hitting and add to it some serious long term injuries you've got a bad recipe.

You can fold the tent and say "Woe is me" which I think a couple have done OR you can go out and say let's man-up and hold down the fort until reinforcements arrive.  

If  the Sox are within 10 games of the lead and they get Ells and CC back I think we may  have a shot.

If they go with guys that want to win and are into it, they will will the team to some wins.

Our strength right now is our pen and we have a unique, dependable closer.

We have a really good 1 B and 2 B and DH, a gung ho lead-off guy, an unproven rookie at third and some back-ups.

starters--I would leave Douby, Bard and Lester in the rotation and bring in Padilla and either Mortenson or Miller as the 4 and 5 until Dice returns.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The forum had no idea what "median" meant until several forum regulars who had taken courses on statistics in college had to inform others on the improper usage of the term. So many fools come here and try to pretend that they know statistics when they do not but this a typical behavior on this forum. This is why the forum never gets any new members and the old fraternity regulars stay - because they prefer the company of other buffoons and those with opinions and no facts, logic, or reason. To them, the truth is irrelevant and entertainment presides. Newbies who prefer loyalty, sincerity, honesty, deep thought, and logic are dismissed.
    Posted by Calzone65

I have not done an extensive search so correct me if I am wrong, but I think this forum is rare in how much traffic it gets.   I look at SOSH and the posting rate is a much lower.  On ESPN sweetspot 791 Chip writes great articles with few comments, he got way more when he posted something on BDC.  The ESPN conversation, NYPost, Riveraveblues, and SBNation all get a small number of comments.  Rob Neyer wrote an artice on Maddon's shift this week, 6 comments,  he might get 50 if he wrote it for BDC.  Fangraphs has a forum which gets way less posts, and its articles don't get as many comments.

With the exception of fantasy boards I think the numbers are just fine here.  Please let me know if I am missing something.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our offense has 1/3rd of it's players on the DL. Even if you change all of our 10+ run games to 6 or 7 runs scored, we'd still be above average in scoring.

We need Ellsbury back and some solid pitchers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Our offense has 1/3rd of it's players on the DL. Even if you change all of our 10+ run games to 6 or 7 runs scored, we'd still be above average in scoring. We need Ellsbury back and some solid pitchers.
    Posted by moonslav59

My calculations show otherwise.  We've had 8 double-figure scoring games, with total runs of 90.  If you adjust those to 6.5 runs per game you get 52, so you have to reduce our total runs by 38.  That changes our total runs from 162 to 124 in 30 games for an average of 4.13.  Current league average is 4.32. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: The Nitty Gritty on Where the Fault Lies: Offense vs Defense : My calculations show otherwise.  We've had 8 double-figure scoring games, with total runs of 90.  If you adjust those to 6.5 runs per game you get 52, so you have to reduce our total runs by 38.  That changes our total runs from 162 to 124 in 30 games for an average of 4.13.  Current league average is 4.32. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I did the numbers 2 games ago, but I rechecked with current numbers:

Currently on fangraphs, we are 4th in scoring with 162 runs.
    Subtract 38 runs gives us 124.
    124 would tie us for 17th.

I guess if you modify my claim to 7 runs (not 6.5), we'd be placed 15th. with 128 runs scored.

My point is that people are blaming our big offensive games for distorting our true offensive ability. With 3 of our 9 guys out of the line-up, we'd still be about an average offesnive team after taking away 34 of the "padded runs" we scored in big games.

When Ellsbury comes back, our offense should be more than OK, but it is the pitching that is still troublesome and in need of repairing if we are to have any shot this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The hitting, while far from perfect, is way better than the starting pitching. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And to the silly clowns that think our problem is worse vs LHPs:

2012 Red Sox vs LHPs:
    3rd in OBP  .349
    1st in SLG   .497

2012 Red Sox vs RHPs:
    14th in OBP  .324
    7th in SLG     .430

Sections
Shortcuts