The Odd Sensation of Dormancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

It happens every off season.  The boys of summer give way to the wiles of winter and her cold shoulders.  We call it the hot stove season.  For good reason.  Some think the hot stove is significant for the hot deals that may be made through the times when our favorite teams lay dormant, at least on the field.

Usually, though, in this northern hemisphere, just the hot stove is needed to heat up the winter.  Other sports dominate and we enjoy them.  But there is that missing note to the harmony in this time.  It helps create an odd sense.  Sometimes we hardly think of it.  As trees surrender their leaves in glorious golds, raucous reds, and yellows, we are naturally swayed into the next season.  Even if it is not the four seasons most often considered, we seem well trained for the changes.  Nature tells us it is time for cold to take over.  We tend to be two season people, those who are baseball fans.   I know we can multi-task.  I enjoyed the Florida Gators beating the LSU Tigers and the SC Gamecocks a great deal.  I look forward to the Green returning soon.  But there is still that large open spot that has to wait, wait til next season. 

Nature has a built in expectation, too.     We never think or feel this is the last winter.  Or rather, this is the last spring or summer.  Bears and squirrels don’t hibernate with the expectation of never coming out of their dens or nests. 

But sometimes, the onset of the absence I speak of feels more like a long dormant period that just a quick moment filled with expectation.

This off season is one of those times.

I am not sure if others feel it, but it seems we are setting up for it.  After a span of eight or nine remarkable seasons, our boys of summer have been cast into great uncertainty.   We had the expectation that the new season would bear something worth celebrating.  Some even came to expect it so much that it was no longer a pleasure to see the team play well but that it must perform superbly at all times and under all conditions.  Alas, we aren’t in need of those high expectations any longer.  At least not for a while.

The odd sensation I am getting is there is now a dormant period ahead.  Not just for one season, or maybe two, but for some long period ahead.  A cicada’s dormancy, not a squirrel’s.  It isn’t a hopeless feeling but one that we will be seeing the lower portions of performance on the baseball diamond for some time to come.  A bridge season now seems not only likely but more and more accepted and expected.  Maybe more than one or two …

Maybe with the brand new announcement of John Farrell coming back, it may all change.  We don’t know yet what we gave up to get him, but we will soon enough.

Friends and long time Sox fans, we have been through the dormant times before.  It isn’t the end, just a time of uncertainty as to when we might again play near the top.

But until then, and including then, the heart yearns for the Red Sox.  The winter’s cold cannot chill that desire.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: The Odd Sensation of Dormancy

We gave up Mike Aviles and it is speculated that the Sox will take on the contract of Adam Lind, who is owed 5mm for 2013 with a 2mm buyout.

I dont share the same opinion as you have Yaz. I believe if healthy this team will compete in 2013.

Some good moves, health and guys playing like they are capable of, theres no reason to think they cant do it. I dont believe the A's or O's have more talent than the Sox, and they made the playoffs. Do we have a WS calibur team? Ill answer that in ST. But as of right now, I know we have the talent to compete.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Southpaw,

I would agree with you except I have no clue as to what the pitching staff will do.    I used to have confidence in them.  If they pitched as they should, I'd have little concern.   I like Lester but wonder what the heck has happened to him.  I like Buch and think he showed improvement as the season went on.  I think Doubie will get better as well.  Heck I'm even hoping Lackey comes back strong.                  

I will say, watching a bit of the ALCS, that the Tigers pitching was helped out by some great fielding ... which speaks well of Iggy's chances.

And finally, I am glad we have someone who isn't an in your fac.e guy like Bobby V any more.  I didn't think, at the first, that he could be as disruptive as he was.  It seems to me, he broke the spirit of several players.  Farrell should undo a lot of that.  He's a builder and developer

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Southpaw,

I would agree with you except I have no clue as to what the pitching staff will do.    I used to have confidence in them.  If they pitched as they should, I'd have little concern.   I like Lester but wonder what the heck has happened to him.  I like Buch and think he showed improvement as the season went on.  I think Doubie will get better as well.  Heck I'm even hoping Lackey comes back strong.                  

I will say, watching a bit of the ALCS, that the Tigers pitching was helped out by some great fielding ... which speaks well of Iggy's chances.

And finally, I am glad we have someone who isn't an in your fac.e guy like Bobby V any more.  I didn't think, at the first, that he could be as disruptive as he was.  It seems to me, he broke the spirit of several players.  Farrell should undo a lot of that.  He's a builder and developer

[/QUOTE]

I also think that, like BV, Farrell and his style was not accepted very well in that Toronto clubhouse. When your dealing with guys like Escobar, who already has a bad rep, Lawrie, whos temper is scary, and a vet like Visquel failing as a clubhouse leader and calls out the manager, it sounded like it was a bad fit from the start like it was here.

Farrell works well with BC and has been the leader in bringing the Indians farm system to the top in 2003-4. Players respect him and like him. They know what hes like and should respond as such. He works well with developing young players, which over the next 3 years the Sox should see a good amount coming through.

This team has gone through 3 different pitching coaches the last couple years and need some stability. I would hope Farrell and his staff will provide that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm with southpaw SY, I really think we can compete next year, especially if we bring back Big Papi and Ross. Ben needs to find at least one starting pitcher, but there are some guys out there who will be able to be had on one year deals who could really improve our pitching staff. I also think Rubby DLR and Morales could be both making a push for the starting rotation. If Farrell can help Lester get back to form the Sox could be a very competitive team next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm with southpaw SY, I really think we can compete next year, especially if we bring back Big Papi and Ross. Ben needs to find at least one starting pitcher, but there are some guys out there who will be able to be had on one year deals who could really improve our pitching staff. I also think Rubby DLR and Morales could be both making a push for the starting rotation. If Farrell can help Lester get back to form the Sox could be a very competitive team next year.

[/QUOTE]

That, and maybe he can get Bard back on track again and we could have one of the best bullpens in the league.