The Offical "go ahead and trash JD Drew thread"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The Offical "go ahead and trash JD Drew thread"

Thought all of those that continue to beat the deadhorse would appriciate having a place to vent...that way we can elimanate the need to post his struggles this year on every other thread. Have fun boys!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: The Offical "go ahead and trash JD Drew thread"

He's a good late inning defensive replacement.  2 outs, man on second, I want JD Drew in RF.

I want Reddick/McDonald in LF and JD Drew in RF at the end of the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

Drew did a very fine job of trashing himself! Enough said.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Ok.

BA OBP SLG OPS
    .171  .286    .229   .514

So far in July, with 8 total bases.
    Of course, There are still 13 games left in July so maybe he can turn it around!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Statwise, Drew stacks up well against the competition. Others have done better at documenting that and I won't attempt it here.

But these stats are based on an average of playing 80% of the games over the life of his contract. So he has been playing 130 games per year on average. Seems like less, to tell you the truth, because he always seems to be sitting or on the DL.

I won't trash him - that is a useless endeavor - but I will say that it has been disappointing to have him.

Here endeth the lesson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I shouldn't trash him too much. I took the "Which Player Are You" test, and I was J.D. Drew. Not sure how I feel about that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

i don't believe DREW is the one who deserves TRASHING.
    the correct person to TRASH is THEO BLUNDER.
    drew didn't beg to come here, some idiot signed him for 70 million smackeroos.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I won't trash him, I just don;t want to see him play unless it is as a late inning defensive replacement. Until Josh Reddick proves he can't keep playing at even 75% of what he has been doing, he deserves and should be playing instead of JD,,
    BattingGABRH2B3BHRRBIBBKSBCSAVGOBPSLGOPS
    Josh Reddick2671162553317814110.3520.4020.6341.036
    J.D. Drew752272351614223355010.2250.3250.3130.637

80% or better of Production with 33% of the AB's...why is this even a discussion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In Response to Re: The Offical "go ahead and trash JD Drew thread":
    I shouldn't trash him too much. I took the "Which Player Are You" test, and I was J.D. Drew. Not sure how I feel about that.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Me, too.  Wasn't exactly jonesed about that result.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Wow, Theo blunder?  Rebuilt the farm system, won a couple of titles at the same time, has the place full every night with the Sox in contention, makes bold moves that other team's fans wish their GMs had the set to do, and really cares about the long term stability of the franchise.  Yes, he makes mistakes as we all do.  But he pushes his chips to the center of the table and he's in the game.  Those who think that is blundering are spoiled and need to walk a mile in some other fan's shoes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: The Offical "go ahead and trash JD Drew thread" : Me, too.  Wasn't exactly jonesed about that result.
    Posted by rickerd2

You guys made me nervous, so I had to check: Jason Varitek.

My girlfriend turned out to be David Ortiz, which makes me feel more than a little inadequate and scared.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"i don't believe DREW is the one who deserves TRASHING.
    the correct person to TRASH is THEO BLUNDER.
    drew didn't beg to come here, some idiot signed him for 70 million smackeroos"

Wrong, wrong, wrong. You would be correct if the Sox were a small market team but the fact is the Sox can afford to overpay sometimes and not have it come back and bite them. 

JD helped us get a ring. He was overpaid but did provide a decent level of production up until this season. It was not a great signing but it was far from Theo's worst (see: Lugo, Renteria, Gagne)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Drew, Youkilis and Injuries

posted at 2/10/2011 9:28 PM EST

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=4035fa5c4dba85292043f6a52a95cff1&plckUserId=4035fa5c4dba85292043f6a52a95cff1">
    First: 1/31/2008
    Last: 7/18/2011
    In Response to Re: Drew, Youkilis and Injuries:
    In Response to Re: Drew, Youkilis and Injuries : OBP and SLG often lead to runs that don't show up in that batter's RBI or runs stats.  For instance, the hit that moves a runner from first to third, allowing the next batter an easy RBI.  Additionally, if a player is getting on base, whether it leads directly to a run that inning or not, there is value in terms of the effect that has on the opposing pitcher.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

True. However, runs will show up in the stats that he did nothing to earn. Say a guy gets on first, steals second, to third on a wild pitch...then scores on a weak grounder to second. RBI for Drew.

Or, Drew is up with a runner on first, hits a grounder which forces the runner, and he scores on a HR. Run scored for Drew.

He did little to earn either, but they show up in the stats. What he gets robbed of, and what is gifted to him I'm willing to bet even out after a full...or 135 game season. You can only go by what actually happens and take the good with the bad. That being said, to me, his stats don't add up to much. I'd put him somewhere, off the top of my head, probably 60-70th OFer I'd want. When you start going down the list, you realize that there are at least one, usually two, sometimes 3 OFers on a team who would be a better fit than Drew. Or, at least to me, are more desirable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I WAY overvalued him. Thinking back, the arguments I got...wow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

J.D. is not coming back after this season.

With this in mind, I will say Reddick made a potentially game saving catch last night. Reddick is paid lots less money than Drew. Theo tends to lean toward the players developed by his own farm system. The offensive upside to Reddick at his age, eclipses any defensive upside Drew may have going forward into his final years.

Will Reddick be an All Star? Wil he hit .300?, will he win a gold glove?, will he help us win a chanmpionship?

The answer is , we just don't know. But, I sure think he will be an improvement over Mr. "I need a day off today" Drew.

My feeling is we can't get rid of this guy fast enough.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Poor Man's Gary Matthews Jr.  Sox could have spent the $20m they would have saved on a super sub like Bill Hall.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Grounding weakly to second is what he does.

having quite the (end of ) career year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Had Crawford stays healthy up to today date, who know Drew could be designate for an assignment this year due he is going to be a free agent after this season. But instead Boston already let go Cameron.  So therefore, Drew need to stay for the rest of the season as part of four OF's.  Boston already stated that Reddick will get alot of playing time!!

Boston isnt the only one that have couple overpaid salary players.  Look at Cubs (probably one of the most), Dodgers, Baltimore, Mets, Washington, etc who all also wish to get rid of their own over-paid players too.  

It is just baseball where there are more over-paid players than underpaid players.  

Theo may have made couple mistakes and made couple great moves every year. There isnt a perfect GM in today baseball!!  

Seriously, just worry about the health of the Red Sox team!!  Hopefully Crawford and Lester within one week do not re-injure themselves again!!

Go Boston!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stars16. Show stars16's posts

Thankfully not long to go now.

He looks like he's soooo tired, his eyes look like Rocky's after 14 rounds vs. Apollo.  Having gone through that mid 30s spell when the body gives up on you and you're out there thinking "What the heck am I doing here?", it's not fun.   

Only thing that I can say in Nancy's defence, is that he plays the game the way it should be played, like Tek, always doing the right things, even if the end result is normally lamentable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Statwise, Drew stacks up well against the competition. Others have done better at documenting that and I won't attempt it here. But these stats are based on an average of playing 80% of the games over the life of his contract. So he has been playing 130 games per year on average. Seems like less, to tell you the truth, because he always seems to be sitting or on the DL. I won't trash him - that is a useless endeavor - but I will say that it has been disappointing to have him. Here endeth the lesson.
    Posted by summerof67

Keep in mind that analysis by Peter Abraham was over the life of the contract. You need to ask yourself how is he doing now? Five years ago, Barry Zito was a good pitcher. How would you rate him today?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

@ Tom-UK:  Bill Hall was DFAd by Houston.  That doesn't make JD Drew any better, just that Bill Hall isn't the answer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

peter abraham is a theo-bootlicker.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

NANCY!  NANCY!  NANCY!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Drew's defense is still excellent, I agree with the late inning defensive replacement idea.   He can't hit, watches strike 3 at a maddening rate, but he gets great jumps on balls, and still has a good arm.   He has some worth, just not as a starter anymore. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

He's not lost.  He packed it in in May.  He's retiring after this season and is just collecting a paycheck right now.

He would love nothing better than to be benched or released.  Then he gets his paycheck for doing NOTHING, instead of what he's doing now, collecting a paycheck for doing ALMOST nothing.

JD Drew decided to "coast" through his final season.  Just surprised he made it so obvious.

Sections
Shortcuts