The official PLAY GOD thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

The official PLAY GOD thread

OK; it's over.  Chew on it as you must, but now it's time to look ahead.

Surprisingly, I actually feel *better* now about the future than I did a couple of days ago.  Why?  Thee Epick Collapse was the result - not the cause - of structural problems.  Now those can be addressed - and when I look at them objectively, I see a lot more positives than negatives (again: once the grieving is done).

So, here's my Pollyanna take on 2012 and beyond.

ORGANIZATION
    Gammons says "it will never be the same."  Bah.  The two recent WS wins, coupled with the Braves' thoughtful bookending of our choke will put it in perspective a bit.  Also, Boston fans have been SO spoiled recently that we can absorb this a bit more.  NO ONE DECIDES FOR YOU IF YOUR SOUL IS CRUSHED.  You decide.  The RS need to consciously refuse total defeatism.  Anger?  Sure.  HOrror?  Yup.  But people rebound from horror, and get over their anger.  And often succeed (see: 2004).

Communication and personalities may not be perfect, but when you look around MLB, I don't think the RS are particularly bad in terms of internicine squabbling leading to divisiveness.  You don't let one month convince you that the previous 8 years were an accident.  You also don't blame God for a bad month.  You analyze - and really, that's a strenght of this organization.

For those who want Theo to go, the "Fire Francoma" pain-mongers, get over it.  There aren't any better replacements out there, and in a neat bit of irony, the very act by which the RS would enable the hiring of a replacement (firing GM or Mgr), the job would become immediately less attractive because it would be clear that there was scapegoating.  

In every situation there is an opportunity, and I think that aside from the drama of Thee Epick Collapse, the RS need to look hard at why no playoff wins since 2008.  Now they will have to, and that will be very good.

The farm system cupboard is a bit bare, but Lavarnway looks like a good player, and others will help.  As a big-market team, the RS are also less dependent on their farm system than, say, Tampa.  You may not like it as a fan, but that's reality.

If Terry Francona wants to return, that means he's tough.  So I'd let him return.  Same with Theo.  I really do not feel that the team is now mired in a culture of defeat.  They had an ugly event; no reason to overblow it.

THE ROSTER

This is where the most work should and can be done.  In a phrase, the Sox need to get tougher.  Mentally and physically.

Trades ... you don't trade players when their value is at their lowest.  So, for those of you dreaming of Carl crawford getting shipped out of town, dream on.  Youkilis is similar; at the moment, his value is artificially deflated, and he's under contract control, so he is not going to be shopped over the winter.  Sorry, kids.  If he gets shipped, there's going to be all kinds of stipulations re: his health, and he hasn't even had his surgery yet.  Alternatively, you could trade Youk at reduced value, if you think he'll never return to 2007/8 form, which may be a reality given his weight.

You wouldn't trade any of the following: Lester, Ellsbury, Scutaro (great bargain on the option), Pedroia, Saltalamacchia, Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Reddick (basically a free RFer/4th-5th OFer).

That doesn't leave a lot of players where you can get value in return.  Notably, Daniel Bard and Adrian Gonzalez are excellent trade bait.  Bard's tradeability depends on how the closer role shakes out, so that puts Gonzalez on the block.

And I would trade God's personal assistant in a heartbeat.  Adrian Gonzalez is currently at the top of his value.  Who else on this roster could bring value in return?  You could pencil Youkilis in at first, Aviles/Lowrie at 3rd, and try to find a 1B/DH in return for Gonzalez, but someone who answers to fans before God.  Someone with toughness.

Would anyone want Jed Lowrie?  What would you get in return?  The problem with trying to trade oft-injured players is that you get reduced talent in return for the risk of injury.  It's a matter of depth, or extreme luck.  So your Youk's, Lowrie's ... are basically untradeable unless you truly don't care what you get in return.

There is the ugly, bizarre spectacle of John Lackey continuing to pitch for the RS.  He is one player about whom I would say "you just move him."  He's THAT bad a presence.  HOWEVER.  There's a silver lining in that it would be extremely unlikely for him to have a year as bad as this year again next year.  Another divorce?  Nah; he'll go Bruce Dern for a few years, tapping baseball Annie's.  And no doubt that his histrionics will start to be ignored by teammates if he even persists with them.  He might still suck, but the cancer will be isolated.

Free agency has a lot more promise.  Ortiz and Drew free up money; and while it isn't a great FA class, I think that RF, closer and a right handed bat could be afforded.  

The other important aspect to toughening up the roster is communicating directly with the players that they did not take their conditioning seriously enough.

IF Theo and Tito stay, I put that all on Theo.  He's made it clear it's his ship and that's on him.  For God's sake, our GM is fitter than 2/3 of the roster.

As for moves, the best thing we could do in terms of big changes would be dumping Gonzalez.  He'd bring value in return, and getting rid of him would toughen up the roster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: The official PLAY GOD thread

God is getting a lot of attention on the board lately.

This is nice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTu3M6wsaiU

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx59Mi_F_Gk

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

TY for getting the God reference ... AGon should AGo to the Brewers after they lose Fielder.

Thought it over, hope Terry stays - if he can be talked into another year of babysitting these children.

Crawford manned up - he stays
    Papelbon has to stay - because who's his successor?
    Wakefield is already totally history
    Ortiz may or may not return - hopefully we could get a player to come close to his #'s and have more versatility for the roster slot

Youkilis will return because you can't get a can of beans for him right now, but would love to see him shipped out - UNLESS he gets in shape and commits to it.

Totally spaced on Beckett in the first post - he can and should be dealt.

Gonzalez is both mentally weak and in poor condition.  Given the gaudy #'s, I'd say his value is peaking - I would love to see him traded. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: The official PLAY GOD thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EB_bgVrs4g

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Oh yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0TgEMpaJ_Y&NR=1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

TY for getting the God reference ... AGon should AGo to the Brewers after they lose Fielder. Thought it over, hope Terry stays - if he can be talked into another year of babysitting these children. Crawford manned up - he stays Papelbon has to stay - because who's his successor? Wakefield is already totally history Ortiz may or may not return - hopefully we could get a player to come close to his #'s and have more versatility for the roster slot Youkilis will return because you can't get a can of beans for him right now, but would love to see him shipped out - UNLESS he gets in shape and commits to it. Totally spaced on Beckett in the first post - he can and should be dealt. Gonzalez is both mentally weak and in poor condition.  Given the gaudy #'s, I'd say his value is peaking - I would love to see him traded. 
    Posted by ABQDan

There's a repentance thread on page one.
    After this comment, you need to make it your new home.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqR4IGoQWDI

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_s23-_uK4w&NR=1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JLNieves. Show JLNieves's posts

I think he was misunderstood, as it is often people like a chance to mock God, but God cannot be mocked, now there's always been a "saying" there's purpose in everything or things happen for a reason, sometimes people mixed their faith in their everyday life and forget to explain themselves leaving room for questions; God is more interested in someones life more than He's interested in the score or outcome of a meaningless "game"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ42j9u-CO4&NR=1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Dear God

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk41Gbjljfo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Brilliant video, Jessey.
    But blaming God is like blaming Tito when Lester or Bard's command goes south for the season.

Know what I mean Vern?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1CuusVEJyg&feature=related

Sections
Shortcuts