The Offseason Plan - Spoiler Edition

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Offseason Plan - Spoiler Edition

I had a long conversation with my Ouija Board and Magic 8 Ball this morning, and these were the results.  These are NOT predictions; these are rock solid inevitabilities that look into the pending offseason and the 2014 season.  I should cite “SPOILER ALERT” for those of you who prefer to see the future unroll as it happens.  You know, the old-fashioned way.  You probably still put stamps on your mail and watch DVD's, too.

Anyway...

1. The Sox will extend Saltalamacchia, by virtue of a contract or QO. 

2. Mike Napoli will accept a Qualifying Offer under the realization that it handicaps his negotiating standpoint, especially given his hip condition. 

3. The Sox will trade Ryan Dempster in ST, assuming there are no injuries to SP.  It is unlikely they want 6 SPs with no options, especially with 3 of them in the final years of their deals.

4. The Sox will exercise Lester’s option.  No brainer.

5. Ellsbury will reject a QO and leave via free agency.  San Francisco will be his new home.  Stop by and visit.

6. The Sox will non-tender Andrew Bailey on the grounds that his limited playing time is not justified by the raise he would get in arbitration.

7. The Sox will not pursue Pence or Choo, especially if either receives a QO, which is likely in both cases. (In Choo’s case, it is definte.)

8. The Sox will trade Mike Carp for an A-ball prospect with actual potential.  Expect Houston and Miami to be involved, although I would expect Oakland to be a player as well.  Cincinnati is a longshot party that should be interested.

9. The Sox will DFA Dan Butler, Steven Wright, Brandon Snyder, and Alex Wilson and possibly Alex Hassan.  Not all will leave the organization, as one or two might be retained as minor league free agents. (For you Butler supporters, it appears as though Butler’s best opportunity – to come to the majors for an injury to the backup catcher and hold the fort on the bench - has been usurped by Ryan Lavarnway.)

10. The Sox will add the following to the 40-man roster: Brentz, Cecchini, Ranaudo, Almanzar, and Luis Diaz, among others.  Bubble options include Aaron Kurcz, Derrik Gibson, Keury de la Cruz and Keith Couch.  Couch and Kurcz would be added moreso for depth in 2014 than for potential beyond. 

11. The Sox will lose Chris Hernandez and possibly one of Couch, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Kurcz or Alex Wilson in the Rule V Draft.

12. The primary free agents the Sox will pursue this offseason will be Carlos Beltran and Edward Mujica.   They will sign others to minor league deals, but no one worth mentioning. 

13. The Sox will trade one of the left-handed relief pitchers, most likely Franklin Morales.   Teams looking for a low cost option at the back of the rotation will find him to be a worthwhile target.  Morales will be dealt to the Royals for CF/RF Justin Maxwell, who will serve the purpose of insurance policy for Bradley as well as capable RF substitute if/when Victorino is unable to play.

14. If the Sox do pursue a first baseman via trade, their primary target will be Billy Butler.  The Royals will not only want the moon in exchange, but insist the Sox have it plated in gold first.

15. Steven Drew will not receive a QO and depart via free agency.  St. Louis is a good guess, as is either New York team.

So there you have it.  Speculation resolved!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Re: The Offseason Plan - Spoiler Edition

Without telling us the outcome of the play-offs, your info is lacking context. If the Sox win the WS, with Drew at SS, he gets to come back. The Sox have a real quandary up the middle, C/SS/CF, who stays and who goes? Rare is the team that wins after changing all three.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How much of Dempsters deal do we pay in that trade?

I have mentioned SF as the landing spot for Jacoby as well.

I agree tha Salty and Napoli return and Drew goes.

I like Butler, but would not give half a world for him.?

How many years will Beltran get? (Est cost?)

What are your thoughts on DeJesus?

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

Without telling us the outcome of the play-offs, your info is lacking context. If the Sox win the WS, with Drew at SS, he gets to come back. The Sox have a real quandary up the middle, C/SS/CF, who stays and who goes? Rare is the team that wins after changing all three.

Well, i didn't want to spoil EVERYTHING.

I do doubt Drew's fate hinges on the World Series.  The Iglesias trade and Bogaerts promotion strongly suggested Bogaerts and Middlebrooks will anchor the left side in the immediate future.  Its not like they had to promote Bogaerts, remember...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

So many questions.  I will do my best not to channel my inner Belicheck.

1.  The Sox can deal Dempster and pay nothing, but it will effect the return.   The 8-ball suggested a complete salary dump.

2.  Beltran will have appeal because he will be willing to sign for 1-2 years.  The Sox go high for one year - he gets the Youk Contract.  1 year $12mill.

3. David DeJesus is one of the most unappreciated players in MLB.  He's not great, but he gets Utility Treatment for a guy who can start and do a lot of things good, but nothing great.  (Although his CF work should be limited.)

Good chance Tampa declines the option.  He is another nice possibility for the OF.  The only advantage the simialrly underrated Maxwell has is being right-handed, which might somewhat important if the Sox retain Nava and/or Carp...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I had a long conversation with my Ouija Board and Magic 8 Ball this morning, and these were the results.  These are NOT predictions; these are rock solid inevitabilities that look into the pending offseason and the 2014 season.  I should cite “SPOILER ALERT” for those of you who prefer to see the future unroll as it happens.  You know, the old-fashioned way.  You probably still put stamps on your mail and watch DVD's, too.

Anyway...

1. The Sox will extend Saltalamacchia, by virtue of a contract or QO. 

Agreed

2. Mike Napoli will accept a Qualifying Offer under the realization that it handicaps his negotiating standpoint, especially given his hip condition. 

My guess is they bring him back for less than qualifying offer, but 2 years with incentives to kick in a 3rd year.

3. The Sox will trade Ryan Dempster in ST, assuming there are no injuries to SP.  It is unlikely they want 6 SPs with no options, especially with 3 of them in the final years of their deals.

Possible, but they love the leadership he brought to this staff and the innings he gave them.  Also a ridiculously expensive bullpen possibility for one year.  He's not popular on this board, but he gave the Sox exactly what they were hoping for.

Already did.  My guess is an extension gets done fairly quickly after postseason.

5. Ellsbury will reject a QO and leave via free agency.  San Francisco will be his new home.  Stop by and visit.

Agreed.  There will be as many as 8 teams in hunt.  My darkhorse is Texas.

6. The Sox will non-tender Andrew Bailey on the grounds that his limited playing time is not justified by the raise he would get in arbitration.

Agreed.

7. The Sox will not pursue Pence or Choo, especially if either receives a QO, which is likely in both cases. (In Choo’s case, it is definte.)

Agreed...Chances less than 5% on both.  Pence less than 1%, but there will be at least 200 "sign Pence" posts between now & the day he signs.

8. The Sox will trade Mike Carp for an A-ball prospect with actual potential.  Expect Houston and Miami to be involved, although I would expect Oakland to be a player as well.  Cincinnati is a longshot party that should be interested.

I completely disagree.  Sox LOVE this guy.  He is versatile, cheap and has swing made for Fenway. .  I think he is here for long time.  

9. The Sox will DFA Dan Butler, Steven Wright, Brandon Snyder, and Alex Wilson and possibly Alex Hassan.  Not all will leave the organization, as one or two might be retained as minor league free agents. (For you Butler supporters, it appears as though Butler’s best opportunity – to come to the majors for an injury to the backup catcher and hold the fort on the bench - has been usurped by Ryan Lavarnway.)

Highly doubt Butler and Wright going anywhere, but hate to speculate on prospects.  Snyder gone.

10. The Sox will add the following to the 40-man roster: Brentz, Cecchini, Ranaudo, Almanzar, and Luis Diaz, among others.  Bubble options include Aaron Kurcz, Derrik Gibson, Keury de la Cruz and Keith Couch.  Couch and Kurcz would be added moreso for depth in 2014 than for potential beyond. 

Not worth time guessing, but nice work.  Very possible.

11. The Sox will lose Chris Hernandez and possibly one of Couch, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Kurcz or Alex Wilson in the Rule V Draft.

Wayyyy too many variables for me, but see above.

12. The primary free agents the Sox will pursue this offseason will be Carlos Beltran and Edward Mujica.   They will sign others to minor league deals, but no one worth mentioning. 

Zero chance on Beltran unless you trade Ortiz or Victorino, which isn't happening.  Too many reasons to list, but I'm sure you get it, Notin.

13. The Sox will trade one of the left-handed relief pitchers, most likely Franklin Morales.   Teams looking for a low cost option at the back of the rotation will find him to be a worthwhile target.  Morales will be dealt to the Royals for CF/RF Justin Maxwell, who will serve the purpose of insurance policy for Bradley as well as capable RF substitute if/when Victorino is unable to play.

Solid thinking here, as usual.  

14. If the Sox do pursue a first baseman via trade, their primary target will be Billy Butler.  The Royals will not only want the moon in exchange, but insist the Sox have it plated in gold first.

The Sox would shatter record for triple ays with Butler/Ortiz hitting back to back.  Don't see it at all.

15. Steven Drew will not receive a QO and depart via free agency.  St. Louis is a good guess, as is either New York team.

Agreed...Boegarts is your starting SS next year.  Despite your reluctance to embrace Middlebrooks, he will be in the middle of the line-up next year with a healthy wrist & a healthy attitude. 

So there you have it.  Speculation resolved!

Nice work, as always...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

So many questions.  I will do my best not to channel my inner Belicheck.

1.  The Sox can deal Dempster and pay nothing, but it will effect the return.   The 8-ball suggested a complete salary dump.

2.  Beltran will have appeal because he will be willing to sign for 1-2 years.  The Sox go high for one year - he gets the Youk Contract.  1 year $12mill.

3. David DeJesus is one of the most unappreciated players in MLB.  He's not great, but he gets Utility Treatment for a guy who can start and do a lot of things good, but nothing great.  (Although his CF work should be limited.)

Good chance Tampa declines the option.  He is another nice possibility for the OF.  The only advantage the simialrly underrated Maxwell has is being right-handed, which might somewhat important if the Sox retain Nava and/or Carp...

[/QUOTE]

So, basically Beltran offers the best short-term Non-QO'er OF'er available. No loss of pick. (-$12M) Check

Dempster's contract vanishes without a trace. ($+13M) Check

Napoli stays (-$14M) Check

Salty stays (-$12 to 14M) Check

We sign Mijica (-$5 to 7M) Check

Morales for Maxwell, and JBJ is in AAA. Check

This plan costs about  $35M - just about what I figure we'll have to spend this winter and stay under the cap. Not a bad plan. Nothing longterm. No high risk.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sox would be crazy to trade Carp. Wow. Mr prediction is Sox will go after 1 of the relievers in KC.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't really get the unloading of Carp either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I do doubt Drew's fate hinges on the World Series.  The Iglesias trade and Bogaerts promotion strongly suggested Bogaerts and Middlebrooks will anchor the left side in the immediate future.  Its not like they had to promote Bogaerts, remember...

Worth noting, though, that Bogaerts has logged 57.1 innings at 3B and 43.2 innings at SS.  Seems like the intention was to try him out at both positions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

Worth noting, though, that Bogaerts has logged 57.1 innings at 3B and 43.2 innings at SS.  Seems like the intention was to try him out at both positions.

[/QUOTE]

...and they have used Middy at 1B a few times as well in ML and AAA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I don't really get the unloading of Carp either.

If we sign Napoli or Morales to play 1B and a RF'er, Carp is wa down on the bench. Yes, he has value to us, but his value is worth more to a team he can perhaps win a FT job.

Nobody wants to lose Carp, but if the return is a higher value and at a higher need position, then a trade make sense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

"These are NOT predictions; these are rock solid inevitabilities that look into the pending offseason and the 2014 season."

The word "possible" was used too often for rock solid inevitabilities.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

If you don't resign Nap I could see Carp going to the Astros perhaps even up for Chris Carter; they are  both 1 B/LF however Carter is a RH bat and could provide protection for Ortiz. Carter is a bargain $ and he's a few years from FA. As has been written frequetly both players have the same K issues.

I find Loney very intriquing as a FA signee for 1B. Excellent fielder .994 . Having two young guys at 3B and SS--he might be  insurance in addition to his hitting potential. 13 HR, 74 RBI and a .303 BA. .352 OBP. Less than 80 K's.  Whether he can duplicate that hard to say. He has played in a big market.

Is it heresy to talk trading Nava at the top of his game for some top level A/ AA prospects or as a package?

Notin brought up the name Justin Maxwell --I think it might be too much of a flyer --he will be 30, he has played in the National's system then on to Houston and now with the Royals. We probably have a prospect like him in Brentz that boasts more power potential.

Salty is a big question mark--McCann close to the same age,  Bats Left, McCann has handled a relatively young staff. I'm a little concerned we haven't heard more about the Braves trying to extend him. I realize there hasn't been much talk about extending Salty...why on both fronts? Would you feel comfortable going with Lava and Ross for a year then Lava and Vazquez?

1 B--Loney/ Carter /Carp/ Nap

2B --Pedroia

SS---Xander/ Drew

3 B--WMB

LF---Nava/ Gomes/ Carp

CF---JBJ/ ShaVic

RF--ShaVic

C---Salty/ McCann/ Ross/ Lava

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Would you feel comfortable going with Lava and Ross for a year then Lava and Vazquez?

I feel much more comfortable with JBJ and Victorino replacing Ells in CF than Ross/Lava/Vazquez behind the plate.

I feel much more comfortable with Carp/Nava (Papi at NL parks) at 1B than Ross/Lava/Vazquez (Butler) behind the plate.

I do think Ben may decide to fill one of our big 3 holes from within the system, but to me, the catcher position is not ready for 2014. We have some great catching prospects in Vazquez, Swihart and Denny, but I don't see any of them as ML ready by April 2014.

I like Lava as a DH, but think his learning curve behind the plate is not something we can afford to give him in 2014. I like Ross, and I actually think we can count on him for more games than many here believe he can give us, but I see him as a large step back from Salty, and unless we upgrade elsewhere, I don't see Ben choosing the catching position as the slot to leave to in-house options.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

"These are NOT predictions; these are rock solid inevitabilities that look into the pending offseason and the 2014 season."

The word "possible" was used too often for rock solid inevitabilities.  

Actually the first sentence of each one never contains the word "possible."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

So now I have to respond to the response in boldface or something.

My guess is they bring him back for less than qualifying offer, but 2 years with incentives to kick in a 3rd year.

Either way, he is probably back.  6 months ago, the Sox were willing to go 3 years.  So even accepting a QO is a reduced overall tenure at approximately the same annual rate.

Possible, but they love the leadership he brought to this staff and the innings he gave them.  Also a ridiculously expensive bullpen possibility for one year.  He's not popular on this board, but he gave the Sox exactly what they were hoping for.

I am against trading SP for depth reasons, as there is no such thing.  Dempster did do what they wanted, but if he is bumped from the rotation, the Sox might do with him what he wants – namely get him in a rotation somewhere.  I think the Sox will move a SP against my wishes, and it will likely be one of the three final contract year guys (Dempster, Lester, Peavy).  As Dempster is the least likely to merit a QO when all is said and done, he becomes the most likely to move.  And while Sox fans think of him as worthless, MLB management will not.  His short contract might not even neceesitate a payout, but even if it does, it is for one year.  The Angels strike me as one team that could be interested.

Already did.  My guess is an extension gets done fairly quickly after postseason.

Technically, I believe they have not yet, but announced they plan to.  Really, I wanted a nice round 15 in the plan and had to include ones like this.

Agreed.  There will be as many as 8 teams in hunt.  My darkhorse is Texas.

There are a lot of candidates, but with Zito and his contract leaving and the year-in / year out need for offense in SF, they do become the most immediate, obvious fit.  Texas is another good choice, although Leonys Martin might be making a case for Ellsbury being more of a luxury.

Agreed...Chances less than 5% on both.  Pence less than 1%, but there will be at least 200 "sign Pence" posts between now & the day he signs.

There already is a movement for Pence, but the Sox seem unwilling to pursue players who want long term deals, and they were reluctant to surrender a second round draft pick and corresponding slot money last year.  No way will they surrender first round pick / money this year.

I completely disagree.  Sox LOVE this guy.  He is versatile, cheap and has swing made for Fenway. .  I think he is here for long time. 

I like Carp, too, but he has played himself into a better role, and one the Sox don’t have.  He always flew under the radar as a prospect for the Mets, but he might have legitimate potential and a cheap price tag that puts him in a position that his reduced role might be less valuable than the future of the return.

Bear in mind, it is easy to like Carp when he is posting a .900OPS.  Like the guy or not, can you foresee a situation where he struggles next year?  Possibly to do his limited role?  He was available very cheaply for a reason.  “Selling high” is not the easiest call to make, but there are times when it is the wisest course of action.

Highly doubt Butler and Wright going anywhere, but hate to speculate on prospects.  Snyder gone.

Butler (not Billy, discussed below)  exists on the 40-man as someone to bring up if the BUC goes down and you don’t want an actual prospect rotting on the bench.  This really is a necessary role.   However, Lavarnway has taken that role, and Butler now represents nothing more than an occupied 40-man spot that might be coveted this off-season.   Wright has simply not shown anything, and will be dropping rapidly on the SP depth charts.  Like Butler, he will be in a position where the 40-man spot he occupies is more valuable than he is.

Not worth time guessing, but nice work.  Very possible.

I blame the Magic 8 ball in particular for these calls, but they are all reasonable.  Gibson is the real questionable one, but everyone always has that one questionable one.   I know some might add Couch and/or Kurcz are equally questionable, but I explained their inclusion in the original post.

Wayyyy too many variables for me, but see above.

This, like number 10, falls into the category of “things I got overly specific on, and as realistic as they are, will still wow me if I am right.”  But I can more than see the appeal of every player mentioned, except maybe Hazelbaker.   I think most organizations already have a guy like that.

I put LHSP/LHRP Chris Hernandez as all but gone in the Rule V draft.  He could pitch in MLB already, is left-handed, and will find a niche somewhere this season with some low budget team that has a lot of roles to fill.  I would actually be surprised if he was not taken (assuming he is not on the 40-man, against my predictions.)

Zero chance on Beltran unless you trade Ortiz or Victorino, which isn't happening.  Too many reasons to list, but I'm sure you get it, Notin.

Ah, you assume too much. 

The Sox will sign a FA.  We can probably agree Mujica does make sense, as it looks like his role has already been taken by Rosenthal (and Motte returns) so he will be available, fills a need in either set up or closer, and is certainly worth a look.  As for Beltran, there are other possibilities, such as Bradley not starting in Boston right away, which is possible.  How often do contending teams use 2 rookies in the starting lineup, especially on opening day?  Also, Gomes and/or Nava may not be part of 2014.  We’ve all seen these “how do they fit everyone in” scenarios before – think Mueller, Millar, Hillenbrand , Giambi, Ortiz in 2003 – and yet somehow everything works out one way or another.

But make no mistake, the Sox WILL pursue an outside free agent, whether they need one or not.  There is a certain PR aspect to spending money, whether the improvement is real or perceived.

The Sox would shatter record for triple ays with Butler/Ortiz hitting back to back.  Don't see it at all.

What is the record for hitting into Triple Plays?  I want to say the Angels and Rangers (Or Orioles? Not sure.), who I believe hit into 3 apiece in 1979. (The Red Sox and A’s turned 3 apiece that year, also a record.  How many remember that awesome one in Texas started by Jack Brohamer’s diving catch in mid-right field?)  I know the Sox already hold the single game record for hitting into triple plays, with 2, against the Twins in 1990. 

Anyway, the overall criticism is kind of silly, since neither Ortiz nor Butler have ever hit into a TP, and KC won’t give him up unless maybe they can get Lester or possibly Doubront.  (Doubtful they settle for Felix, even with the extra years of control.)   Butler is this year’s Alex Gordon.  He will get his mention in stories on mlbtr that ultimately end with status quo.

And really, once Napoli is extended, this becomes a non-issue anyway.

Agreed...Boegarts is your starting SS next year.  Despite your reluctance to embrace Middlebrooks, he will be in the middle of the line-up next year with a healthy wrist & a healthy attitude.

While I have very little faith in Middlebrooks, I have accepted he is the 3B of the immediate future.  I never cheer against him.  I do not have a derogatory nickname for him.  And I never clamor on board with posts pointing out his failures whenever he has one.  I just hope he improves, and would like him to do so rapidly.  Nevertheless, I do not think he is very good overall, and would have preferred him dealt over Iglesias, which I have stated repeatedly.

But yeah. Bogaerts will be the SS.  They did not trade Iglesias in order to move Bogaerts to 3B.   Occam’s Razor and all that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm exhausted just reading that last one, notin.

Undecided

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I'm exhausted just reading that last one, notin.

Undecided

Sox4ever

I quit after paragraph 2, but I'll get back to you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Interesting article on MLBTR about A.J. Pierzynski. He catches a lot of games--may take a one or two year deal--bridge to Vazquez and Swihart or Lava.

With Ross and AJ you've got a nice veteran prescence. AJ is a decent hitter and not a long term committment is needed.

I like Salty and he appears to be well liked on the team---this is his just reward year and he's expecting someone to show him some Really Big Coins.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Sox need to keep Wright, his knuckler was moving so much it was uncatchable (for Lava). That doesn't mean he should be dumped, I suspect Ross could catch him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Sox would be crazy to trade Carp. Wow. Mr prediction is Sox will go after 1 of the relievers in KC.

I agree.  He's productive, cheap, and a perfect fit.  Part of our strength is to be able to go lefty/righty at catcher, 1B, LF, and RF.  Carp is the one that helps do that at 1B/LF.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Actually Lavarnway caught Wright the most, and didn't have problems with him. It was that crazy night in Houston in dome that gave him problems. Both games Lavarnway caught him Seattle, that Wright won, Lavarnway didn't have 1 passed ball.

Back to Carp, he does 2 things I like, versatilty, and he has a taylor made swing for Fenway. Nevermind his attitude, hard to come off bench and be productive, very hard not to complain.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think anyone is doubting Carp's effectiveness this year, but with Nava, Middy and Papi able to play 1B, and Nava, Gomes, and others able to play LF, I can see how Carp's value to another team might be much greater than to ours, and that is the kernel for trade talks to begin.

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts