1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

the other side of the coin...

This trade could be a win-win for both teams, and like so many other Sox fans, I'm more than ready for a major shake up and re-direction. 

However, if Sox fans are happy with the proposed trade, imagine being a Dodger fan and envision this lineup.

C. Crawford, LF
    M. Ellis, 2B
    M. Kemp, CF
    A. Gonzalez, 1B
    H. Ramirez, SS
    A. Ethier, RF
    L. Cruz, 3B
    A. Ellis, C
     pitcher

Of course AGon will continue to flourish, particularly by returning to the West Coast and functioning in a more relaxed environment (media wise) and should feast on everyday National League pitching.  And don't be surprised to see his power numbers return.

C.C. on the other hand has been a bit of an enigma since arriving in Boston.  But, I predict that post surgery, he will have a banner year for the Dodgers.  He will finally get healthy, he will find the L.A. environment more to his liking and personality, he will be surrounded by veteran hitters, and with his speed at the top of the line-up and NL (no DH) rules he will evolve into the player that Theo thought he was getting. Something IMO was never going to happen for him in Boston.

And, finally, if Beckett regains control of his offspeed pitches, he can easily resurrect his career against everyday NL hitters with his 92 mph fastball.  Potentially finding a slot for himself in the rotation as a #3, or quite possibly a #2.

So good luck to the departed and the Dodgers, and GO SOX.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Re: the other side of the coin...

Very true...and if that happens it will make a lot of fans, mostly fairweather fans, completely resent this deal and turn against the team.

Up until Crawford played those 31 games, I thought he could never cut it in Boston, but he actually didn't do that bad. But is that what you should be saying about a guy making 20m a year? "He didn't do that bad?". No.

Gonzo a great player, but he was included to get this deal done.

Beckett, I have never been so happy to see a player leave, watch Lester return to top form next year. If he and Buch can have CY- Young esque seasons which they are capable of, Doubrount as a quality 3, Lackey can hopefully return to at least a 4, and anyone, Morales? as a 5th, that rotation will get it done. A trusty bullpen, and an offense 1 player removed as a top offense? Just because we don't have huge contracts, we won't be cellar dwellars folks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i don't care about the other side...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Yeah, I heard Kevin Kennedy who now works on Dodger's broadcasts say that the Sox grossly misused both Gonzalez (playing RF) and Crawford (batting 3rd then 6th & 7th in the line-up) which is one of the reasons it didn't work out in Boston.

Ironically, the Dodgers are now in the same position with Crawford as the Sox, so it should be interesting to see how Crawford responds this time when they ask him to lead off next season.

Kennedy went on to say that he correctly predicted that the Green Monster would take home runs away from AGon and that a Sox FO person just told him that Beckett is now one the most hated player by both fans & teammates in Sox history.

The egomanicac cited his time as the Sox manager, his time with Tampa in '09-10, and his FO experience with the Expos to make himself sound credible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Glad somebody brought this up:

The starting 2013 lineup does look intimidating.  You also have to consider that Beckett is only signed to a 2 year deal.  Granted at 17 M / year, but if Beckett was a free agent, he wouldnt accept a 2 yr deal, so you have to put a premium on the short commitment.

They are looking to make a run this year, and Beckett has 2x the playoff experience as the rest of their staff.  He will be , at worst, an okay #3 itcher in the nl.  TO help make a run this year, and 2 yrs @ 17M to follow, you cant do much better in the upcoming free agent sp market.

Crawford will cover a lot of ground in their spacious OF.  Defensively , hes the perfect fit as a LF.  If he can start the 2013 strong, and stay healthy, the Ds may realize $0.90 on the dollar (not terrible).

And they get AGON.  A middle of the lineup slugger is one of the hardest things to aquire in the MLB.  They found one, whose had success in their division.  Fenway isnt suited for lefties.  I'd project.315, 27 HR , 106 runs, 120 RBIs out of AGON in that lineup....  ALso , he helps them make a run this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: the other side of the coin...:
    Glad somebody brought this up: The starting 2013 lineup does look intimidating.  You also have to consider that Beckett is only signed to a 2 year deal.  Granted at 17 M / year, but if Beckett was a free agent, he wouldnt accept a 2 yr deal, so you have to put a premium on the short commitment. They are looking to make a run this year, and Beckett has 2x the playoff experience as the rest of their staff.  He will be , at worst, an okay #3 itcher in the nl.  TO help make a run this year, and 2 yrs @ 17M to follow, you cant do much better in the upcoming free agent sp market. Crawford will cover a lot of ground in their spacious OF.  Defensively , hes the perfect fit as a LF.  If he can start the 2013 strong, and stay healthy, the Ds may realize $0.90 on the dollar (not terrible). And they get AGON.  A middle of the lineup slugger is one of the hardest things to aquire in the MLB.  They found one, whose had success in their division.  Fenway isnt suited for lefties.  I'd project.315, 27 HR , 106 runs, 120 RBIs out of AGON in that lineup....  ALso , he helps them make a run this year.
    Posted by Drewski5

Beckett's best years are behind him. I doubt he will contribute much to the Dodgers' pitching staff AND he is being grossly overpaid.
    Crawford can run in the OF but has an arm as weak as overcooked spaghetti. He is not a bad player but he is nowhere worth the money he will be paid.
    Gonzo is probably being paid about what he is worth.
    I bear no ill will towards any of those guys now that they are gone. I wish them the best of luck. But I think the Red Sox got the better of the deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Nick Punto...there shouldn't be a dry eye in the Sox fan base !!!   HA !!!

There are many discussion posts dealing with the same topic so I've copied and pasted this from a discussion  I started " The Yankees of the West Coast".

As a SF fan, the Giants play the Dodgers as frequently as the Sox play the Yanks so I'll get to see these former Sox players frequently as I do, and really enjoy, Reddick & Coco Crisp with the A's.

I am a Sox fan first but a SF Giant fan too and as happy as I am with this trade & freedom from incredible financial burden, it's as if these players assuming the Sox were competitive, went to the Yankees. Still hope the Giants awesome pitching holds up as without that dummy, Melky Cabrera, because of performancing enhancing substance, their hitting is light.

Going forward for the Sox, irrespective of having more money available, I say let's bite the bullet & forget about trying to get Hamilton from Rangers, King Felix from Seattle etc. & suffer for a couple of years & build the team with youngsters.  Forget about overloading our payroll with the Lackey's, Dice K's, Crawfords & Agon's & worrying they will stay healthy! The Yankees have done it but let's admit they are better than we are getting some talent from other teams.

Let Tampa Bay be an inspiration as they seem to always be competitive the past few years with great pitching and just average hitting but developing players from their farm system. I can't think of any superstars either on Baltimore's team but they are definitely better than we are this year. So, our scouts should concentrate on great youthful prospects in college or, as you say, players outside the USA.

Sections
Shortcuts