The Outfield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: The Outfield

Yeah, that's very possible. Cam isn't adjusting to being platoon player. But they need to compliment Drew being a lefty. Look what happened when the Tigers brought in those no-name southpaws. Mac would likely improve with playing time, but that won't happen unless they cut Cam. And I doubt we'll see them eat that much lettuce given Cam can still run some and play the outfield well enough.

Mac's the odd man out.  He could fill enough of Cam's shoes if a desperate GM made a pitch for Cam. Either way, the RedSox are likely to bide their time until their AAA outfield depth get healthy again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield:
    Yeah, that's very possible. Cam isn't adjusting to being platoon player. But they need to compliment Drew being a lefty. Look what happened when the Tigers brought in those no-name southpaws. Mac would likely improve with playing time, but that won't happen unless they cut Cam. And I doubt we'll see them eat that much lettuce given Cam can still run some and play the outfield well enough. Mac's the odd man out.  He could fill enough of Cam's shoes if a desperate GM made a pitch for Cam. Either way, the RedSox are likely to bide their time until their AAA outfield depth get healthy again.
    Posted by harness
    Oh yes they need a RH bat all right. I think if Navaro gets healthy they might give him a shot. They have played the kid all over the diamond before he went on the DL 16 games in IF split between 2B, 3b and SS. 11 in the OF and 2 at DH. he only has a 150 AB at the AAA level but his OBP and OPS are impressive.

Tp me the ultimate vote of at least shaky confidence in Cam and no confidence in Mac was this roster move. If the RS felt the parft time play was the issue with Cam, why not give him some days of steady PT while Drew has the hammy issues?

I could be all wrong about Titospeak so I am not saying this IS what it means but I put and underline on what makes me think the RS are on the fence about Mac...

“We put him in [Wednesday in left field for Carl Crawford in the sixth inning and] it got a little bit worse. It’s not real bad. Saying that, we don’t have J.D. for today. We’re a little short, so we put [McDonald] on the disabled list, get him back to where he’s feeling real good, and get him down playing a few games . . . then make some decisions. But we were getting a little thin.”

And as far as starting Reddick over Cameron, well just a year ago this was supposed to be the every day CFer. Just maybe they think his bat is getting a bit slow. If it can happen to Jeter and Posada, one HOF player and one near HOF player virtually over night a career good player like Mike isn't immune.

At any rate this is a good chance to get a peak at Reddick because if the front runner was Kalish his injuries may delay his arrival in Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield : Oh yes they need a RH bat all right. I think if Navaro gets healthy they might give him a shot. They have played the kid all over the diamond before he went on the DL 16 games in IF split between 2B, 3b and SS. 11 in the OF and 2 at DH. he only has a 150 AB at the AAA level but his OBP and OPS are impressive. Tp me the ultimate vote of at least shaky confidence in Cam and no confidence in Mac was this roster move. If the RS felt the parft time play was the issue with Cam, why not give him some days of steady PT while Drew has the hammy issues? I could be all wrong about Titospeak so I am not saying this IS what it means but I put and underline on what makes me think the RS are on the fence about Mac... “We put him in [Wednesday in left field for Carl Crawford in the sixth inning and] it got a little bit worse. It’s not real bad. Saying that, we don’t have J.D. for today. We’re a little short, so we put [McDonald] on the disabled list, get him back to where he’s feeling real good, and get him down playing a few games . . . then make some decisions . But we were getting a little thin.”   And as far as starting Reddick over Cameron, well just a year ago this was supposed to be the every day CFer. Just maybe they think his bat is getting a bit slow. If it can happen to Jeter and Posada, one HOF player and one near HOF player virtually over night a career good player like Mike isn't immune. At any rate this is a good chance to get a peak at Reddick because if the front runner was Kalish his injuries may delay his arrival in Boston.
    Posted by fivekatz

I thought Cam's bat looked slow in April. But it's a tough call between age and lack of PT. I like to give him the benefit of the doubt - but not a free pass.
    I think the decision to promote Reddick and put Mac on a mock DL was primarily due to having to face 4 righties over the next 5 days (Porcello/Verlander/Peavy/Floyd). The lone lefty - Oliver - is an 0-4 rookie.

It allows the FO to see Reddick's progress at the M.L. level. He's also a nice speed option in late frames...better than Mac.

I've been advocating for Navarro for some time now. I really liked what I saw of him in the field last year. He's always hit at every level. I think he will at the M.L.level. If he works out, he could make Scut dispensable.
    His versatility is due to his athleticism, as he's had to fill in for injured players, but he's a natural SS. And while Iggy gets all the glove accolades at lower levels, this guy could steal the show before it's all said & done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield : I thought Cam's bat looked slow in April. But it's a tough call between age and lack of PT. I like to give him the benefit of the doubt - but not a free pass. I think the decision to promote Reddick and put Mac on a mock DL was primarily due to having to face 4 righties over the next 5 days (Porcello/Verlander/Peavy/Floyd). The lone lefty - Oliver - is an 0-4 rookie. It allows the FO to see Reddick's progress at the M.L. level. He's also a nice speed option in late frames...better than Mac. I've been advocating for Navarro for some time now. I really liked what I saw of him in the field last year. He's always hit at every level. I think he will at the M.L.level. If he works out, he could make Scut dispensable. His versatility is due to his athleticism, as he's had to fill in for injured players, but he's a natural SS. And while Iggy gets all the glove accolades at lower levels, this guy could steal the show before it's all said & done.
    Posted by harness

With Pedroia experiencing those stingers, I wouldn't be so quick to give up on Scutaro, especially since Lowrie has never played a full season. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That's a good point. Scut was beginning to look his age though.
    He's gonna have to show a very solid OBP to stick, as the glove becomes increasingly important during the dog-days - and his is erratic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield : I thought Cam's bat looked slow in April. But it's a tough call between age and lack of PT. I like to give him the benefit of the doubt - but not a free pass. I think the decision to promote Reddick and put Mac on a mock DL was primarily due to having to face 4 righties over the next 5 days (Porcello/Verlander/Peavy/Floyd). The lone lefty - Oliver - is an 0-4 rookie. It allows the FO to see Reddick's progress at the M.L. level. He's also a nice speed option in late frames...better than Mac. I've been advocating for Navarro for some time now. I really liked what I saw of him in the field last year. He's always hit at every level. I think he will at the M.L.level. If he works out, he could make Scut dispensable. His versatility is due to his athleticism, as he's had to fill in for injured players, but he's a natural SS. And while Iggy gets all the glove accolades at lower levels, this guy could steal the show before it's all said & done.
    Posted by harness

I don't know how the Sox are ticketing Navarro, but he could be one of those players who sneak up on their organization.  ( Think Maury Wills, for one. ) Iglesias is being chewed up in AAA. More troubling than his BA is that he has only 2 BB's against 21 K's.  That kind of ratio will go nowhere in an organization that teaches plate discipline and values OBP.  He's a kid and will improve but maybe not enough to satisfy the Sox -- great glove and all.  Navarro, OTOH, has progressed steadily.  Note that he hasn't been mentioned in trade talks -- even speculatively -- as far as I know.  
    He is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Basically Reddick has seen more pitches, has walked a lot more and has 12 dingers folks. Extended over a full season that would be close to 40. The kid has some pop. He has always had a great arm, one of the best in the minors, and some decent pop for a guy who actually has enough speed to play CF if necessary. He's working on his overall game and is even stealing a base once in a while. It is entirely possible that he will fill out even more and have 30 HR pop down the road.

He has so much more to learn though. Imagine if he could take the ball to left field more. That would transform him into a much more complete hitter. He is clearly learning the strike zone though.

Drew was struggling last year also. This isn't new. Of course Drew still gets the nod, probably even coming back and starting today, but they wanted to get a look at Reddick also. We are coming up on the trading deadline. As some of us mentioned in spring traning, maybe Cameron would have been worthy of a trade so that some team could get the performance level out of him that he could probably provide as a full time player. Maybe his swing just cannot produce without a lot of AB. Maybe we could have gotten decent value for him back then, saving us some luxury tax space also. He was projected as a great platoon bat but maybe he just isn't cut out to be a platoon guy.

The tea leaves are indicating that Sutton could be a decent infield sub for us also. As well as having the Navaro option. We may be looking at a Scutaro trade within the next month or so. Maybe Cameron or McDonald as well. We might be looking at Hassan before the end of this year also.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

If Reddick hits well he would be a great solution for us next year in RF. I've been rooting for this kid for years now and wish him nothing but the best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox4life2280. Show sox4life2280's posts

there is no need to get super excited about Reddick yet.  Lets not forget last season when Nava and McDonald came up from the minors and had great moments too....where are they now????  Nava was released and cleared waivers because no one else wanted him and McDonald wont even be on the team this times next year.  By the same rationale are you ready to replace someone in the infield with Dew Sutton??? I didnt think so. Please also keep into perspective that if it were not for Ryan Kalish tearing is labrium he would be the one called up NOT Reddick.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

there is no need to get super excited about Reddick yet.  Lets not forget last season when Nava and McDonald came up from the minors and had great moments too....where are they now????  Nava was released and cleared waivers because no one else wanted him and McDonald wont even be on the team this times next year.  By the same rationale are you ready to replace someone in the infield with Dew Sutton??? I didnt think so. Please also keep into perspective that if it were not for Ryan Kalish tearing is labrium he would be the one called up NOT Reddick.  
    Posted by sox4life2280

Tharnks for offering perspective.  We lack it often here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

sox4life2280 - Welcome to the forum!

Drew Sutton has played well in AAA ball and we have Navarro also, as well as Iglesias. Scutaro is a valuable commodity. Lowrie has won that job and if we can trade Scutaro for some value I'm ok with that. 

Reddick has been called up 8 times now. I agree that some might be over exuberant here but Drew is on pace for a whopping 40 RBI this year IF he gets 500 AB. He has had horrible RBI totals for the 5th year in a row now, mainly slotted as a #6. We really could benefit from another type of hitter in that slot when we have huge OBP in front of him in Adrian, Youk and Ortiz. I mean really!

Even Pedroia would easily be putting up 80-90 RBI numbers in that slot as compared to:

I'm an advocate for slotting Crawford # 2 especially against RH starters and moving Pedroia to #6. I'd like to see Ellsbury and Crawford scoring from 1st regularly with Adrian, Youk and Ortiz hitting behind them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

To EX-PITCH: Navarro is an example of one who has been accused of 'mental lapses'.
    His maturity level is a concern, but you'd never know it by looking at his minor league stats. This guy looks to have all the physical skills.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

This has nothing to do with this thread...should Marco Scutaro start looking for employment soon? Drew Sutton, baby!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Last year, they played Scut into the ground. Utter negligence. This may have affected him this year...and beyond. But you can be they will baby him from now on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Harness, I hadn't heard that Navarro is supposed to make mistakes.  By whom? Maybe he's still learning.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

For Drew this is his last hurrah  -- he's a goner in October  unless he wants to stay in MLB as platoon player somewhere.... He's likely to retire.

Sox have a few trade pieces as other teams need them and they get healthy..
    If Scutaro  feels better      McDonald and Cameron     even for minor league depth.

If Reddick has improved and Sutton  hits the way he can  both can fill in  when needed provide youth and better at bats and Sutton can play  all infield spots...

Hard not to like this teams make up right now..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

We might be looking at Hassan before the end of this year also.  
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves with Hassan.  All things in their due time, but his time simply isn't 2011.  He only has 45 games in his career at the AA level (as well as 3 games and 3 AB's at AAA last season).  I can't see the Sox brass rushing him to the bigs.  He is crushing the ball right now though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield : Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves with Hassan.  All things in their due time, but his time simply isn't 2011.  He only has 45 games in his career at the AA level (as well as 3 games and 3 AB's at AAA last season).  I can't see the Sox brass rushing him to the bigs.  He is crushing the ball right now though.
    Posted by JB-3

I'm talking MAYBE a September call up. It's possible.

Sections
Shortcuts