The Outfield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

The Outfield

Such as it is. Sweeney, Ross, McDonald, Repko. Nuff said. 
    When Crawford returns, he'll be in left, with, presumably, Ross in center, and Sweeney in right, to be replaced by McDonald against lefties. 
    That outfield might be OK until Ellsbury returns. Much depends upon how Crawford plays. 
    IMO, neither Repko nor McDonald belongs on this club. At best they are AAAA players. So far Ross has been decent with the bat, but he's starting to look like the proverbial big brown dog on defense. He was not signed to be an everyday player -- and for good reason -- but apparently he will now be one, unless the Sox make a deal for a CFer.  How Ross holds up and performs remain to be seen.
    But I have trouble believing that he's a championship calibre player. Sweeney may be. Crawford should be. It would help if the last two, as corner OFers, had more pop. 
    At the moment, the outfield is not Boston's strong suit. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Re: The Outfield

Ross has been a disaster in the outfield.  He is a great 4th outfielder and
    tough RH bat off the bench.

Everyday player, not so much.

Craw/Ells/Sweeney will be nice at some point

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to The Outfield:
    Such as it is. Sweeney, Ross, McDonald, Repko. Nuff said.  When Crawford returns, he'll be in left, with, presumably, Ross in center, and Sweeney in right, to be replaced by McDonald against lefties.  That outfield might be OK until Ellsbury returns. Much depends upon how Crawford plays.  IMO, neither Repko nor McDonald belongs on this club. At best they are AAAA players. So far Ross has been decent with the bat, but he's starting to look like the proverbial big brown dog on defense. He was not signed to be an everyday player -- and for good reason -- but apparently he will now be one, unless the Sox make a deal for a CFer.  How Ross holds up and performs remain to be seen. But I have trouble believing that he's a championship calibre player. Sweeney may be. Crawford should be. It would help if the last two, as corner OFers, had more pop.  At the moment, the outfield is not Boston's strong suit. 
    Posted by expitch

Cody Ross isn't a championship caliber player?

He won the 2010 NLCS MVP when he single-handedly demolished the Phillies' pitching staff (with Halladay, Hamels and Oswalt) with an OPS over 1.300!

Oh, and he got a ring that year, too...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

With the absence of Ellsbury, the team needs some solid production and defense from one guy.  None of the current players (Ross, Sweeney, certainly not McDonald, etc.) fit the bill.

Fingers crossed that Crawford returns to his pre-2011 performance levels.  Otherwise, we can wait for Kalish, give Anderson a shot, or pursue the trade route.

As always, things could get interesting around trade deadline time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield:
    In Response to The Outfield : Cody Ross isn't a championship caliber player? He won the 2010 NLCS MVP when he single-handedly demolished the Phillies' pitching staff (with Halladay, Hamels and Oswalt) with an OPS over 1.300! Oh, and he got a ring that year, too...
    Posted by notin
    How did he do in 2011? He WAS a championship calibre player once in his life. So have other guys, who then ceased to be much noticed. So far he's looked brutal on defense. Doesn't defense figure in championships?
    That was the year that was.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In Response to The Outfield : Cody Ross isn't a championship caliber player? He won the 2010 NLCS MVP when he single-handedly demolished the Phillies' pitching staff (with Halladay, Hamels and Oswalt) with an OPS over 1.300! Oh, and he got a ring that year, too...
    Posted by notin

Because his team had pitching..........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

The Sox continue to explore potential trades for outfielders. According to a Fox Sports report, they dispatched a scout to watch veteran Scott Podsednik, who is playing for the Philadelphia Phillies’ Triple-A club.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

The Sox continue to explore potential trades for outfielders. According to a Fox Sports report, they dispatched a scout to watch veteran Scott Podsednik , who is playing for the Philadelphia Phillies’ Triple-A club.
    Posted by raider3524
    Crisp's name has also been mentioned, but perhaps only by speculators.  The Sox require a CFer who can chase down the ball and catch it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield : Crisp's name has also been mentioned, but perhaps only by speculators.  The Sox require a CFer who can chase down the ball and catch it.
    Posted by expitch

I agree ex...The Red Sox outfield defense has been challenged to put it mildly....And tonight was the first game I have seen Ross but he butchered a few plays, and I am not talking about learning how to play the Green Monster....If I were the Sox FO, I might be reaching for the benzos at this point...Where do they go first??? Pitcher, outfield, SS, or whatever...Very tough...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

expitch can Crawford play CF?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield : Crisp's name has also been mentioned, but perhaps only by speculators.  The Sox require a CFer who can chase down the ball and catch it.
    Posted by expitch

I got ridiculed for this and it wasn't even my idea... I just heard the "idea" on the radio.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

Maybe there is anxiety about Crawford's long term health or sturdiness, and they are thinking a real backup CF until Ells comes back might be smart...But the Bosox have a number of gaping holes and that is the problem...Just like the mediocre Yankees SP...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

With the absence of Ellsbury, the team needs some solid production and defense from one guy.  None of the current players (Ross, Sweeney, certainly not McDonald, etc.) fit the bill. Fingers crossed that Crawford returns to his pre-2011 performance levels.  Otherwise, we can wait for Kalish, give Anderson a shot, or pursue the trade route. As always, things could get interesting around trade deadline time.
    Posted by drpjn

The Sox are getting all star level production out of RF so far:  .314/.415/.543.  I think that's better than they will finish, but am confident Sweeney/Ross are a good solution there in 2012. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield : The Sox are getting all star level production out of RF so far:  .314/.415/.543.  I think that's better than they will finish, but am confident Sweeney/Ross are a good solution there in 2012. 
    Posted by Chilliwings

Morning, chilli...Good to see your post...Pardon me if my response sounds condescendingly obvious, but right now the Boston Red Sox are playing without two of the guitarists from the Remains...If both return in a respectable time span, then the comeback is a cinch...But if they have to depend on the defensive musical strains of Cody Ross for much longer, the Red Sox will asymptotically approach Spinal Tap territory...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield : Morning, chilli...Good to see your post...Pardon me if my response sounds condescendingly obvious, but right now the Boston Red Sox are playing without two of the guitarists from the Remains...If both return in a respectable time span, then the comeback is a cinch...But if they have to depend on the defensive musical strains of Cody Ross for much longer, the Red Sox will asymptotically approach Spinal Tap territory...
    Posted by teilhardian

Hi Teil.  One could also say that right field is currently manned by Brian Johnson;  the platoon is no Bon Scott, but it's going to work out just fine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Pay peanuts get monkeys.

Ross is a perfectly fine platoon OF for certain teans.  The problem is he will really struggle in RF on the road, and will need to hit LHP really well to compensate for terrible D in RF in Fenway.

Is it umpires calling more strikes, less PEDs, and/or better pitching but from 2002 - 2004 there were 43 OF over 10 WAR FnGhs.   From 2009 to 2011 there were 24.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Posted by BurritoT
    I have no idea. He has the speed, for sure. According to reports, he's said that he doesn't want to play center or bat first. Too bad. If he can and will play center, the OF defense should be improved. My guess is that he stays in left, and that the Sox scratch around for a centerfielder and might try to obtain one. Crawford's OBP makes him suspect as a leadoff batter. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Shane Vitorino available by any chance? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A Ross & Sweeney platoon in RF will outperform maybe 2/3rds of MLB RF'ers.

Ellsbury is a top 5 CF'er when healthy.

CC will not always be as bad as last year.

DMac is a more than capable LF'er vs LHPs only, but unfortunately, he is needed for more than that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Posted by BurritoT

Asbsolutely not

Ross is actually better in CF than he is in the corner

I wanted Crisp in the off-season and was laughed at here.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: The Outfield":
    In Response to Re: The Outfield : Asbsolutely not Ross is actually better in CF than he is in the corner I wanted Crisp in the off-season and was laughed at here..... Posted by andrewmitch
    Why would have Coco Crisp, who clearly wants to play centerfield, ever considered signing with Boston when they have one of the best centerfielders in the game?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wanted Crisp in the off-season and was laughed at here.....

I laughed then. I'm laughing now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

$ and a chance to play for a winner, again

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: The Outfield":
    $ and a chance to play for a winner, again Posted by andrewmitch
    If it's money he was looking for, he'd go where he'd have a chance to play for a contract, but that's not the point...he wants to play center, which is why he wouldn't have signed here and he isn't happy Cepedes was signed to play center after him...not to mention the fact that Boston had no use for him whatsoever before the Ellsbury injury...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

I'd take Edmonds at this point!

Sections
Shortcuts