The Outfield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: The Outfield

He may not have been interested but he should have been approached.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield:
    [QUOTE]A Ross & Sweeney platoon in RF will outperform maybe 2/3rds of MLB RF'ers. Ellsbury is a top 5 CF'er when healthy. CC will not always be as bad as last year. DMac is a more than capable LF'er vs LHPs only, but unfortunately, he is needed for more than that.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Agree, but can we afford to wait until we are healthy?  Crisp sounds like an awesome idea to me.  When he lost his job to Ellsbury, he handled it with class.  No reason to think that things would be different this time around.  Also, he would provide veteran leadership (something this team desperately needs). 

He's an aging player on a team going nowhere, so the price tag might be right.  Lars and a mid-tier pitching prospect?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: The Outfield": Why would have Coco Crisp, who clearly wants to play centerfield, ever considered signing with Boston when they have one of the best centerfielders in the game?
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

1) Unless he has a no trade clause, his opinion is irrelevant
    2) Because Ellsbury is out for 1/2 the season
    3) Because he's a professional and is willing to go where the team needs him
    4) Because he's been around long enough to know that when you are an aging player on a non-competing team, getting traded is just "part of the business"
    5) Because he still has a lot of friends on this team
    7) Because he is still a great defensive outfielder
    8) Because he has a better shot for a ring here than with Oakland
    9) With two hurt outfielders and a platoon in right,  he can earn steady playing time
    10) He's far better than anyone else we are going to get

The only question is, what's the asking price?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : Agree, but can we afford to wait until we are healthy?  Crisp sounds like an awesome idea to me.  When he lost his job to Ellsbury, he handled it with class.  No reason to think that things would be different this time around.  Also, he would provide veteran leadership (something this team desperately needs).  He's an aging player on a team going nowhere, so the price tag might be right.  Lars and a mid-tier pitching prospect?
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]
    There are a lot of possibilities. One is that Ellsbury will be out longer -- much longer -- than the speculated eight weeks. Crisp would be a nice defensive replacement in the outfield as long as he's needed. And if Crawford will get the hang of things and Sweeney plays defense as he always has, the OF, which looks rocky now, could actually be a strength. It's also possible that Crisp could spell Crawford or Sweeney on occasion. And I'm assuming that he can still run. Nice for late inning pinch running. To top it, he's a great teammate.
    For me, the jury is still out on Ross even against lefties. On defense, he is creepy. Did the Sox already know that?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: The Outfield": If it's money he was looking for, he'd go where he'd have a chance to play for a contract, but that's not the point...he wants to play center, which is why he wouldn't have signed here and he isn't happy Cepedes was signed to play center after him...not to mention the fact that Boston had no use for him whatsoever before the Ellsbury injury...

You make him sound like a whiny malcontent.  When he was benched in 2007, he still celebrated walk off victories with the team, still celebrated the WS victory with the team, kept himself ready to play at any given time (filled in for Ells when Ells was struggling in 2008).

Sure he was dissapointed when they signed cepedes, but he's a class act and a professional.  He's still going to go out there and give it everything he has.

He's a very popular guy in every clubhouse he's been in.  This team could use Crisp's defense, versatility, ability to switch hit, speed, leadership

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : There are a lot of possibilities. One is that Ellsbury will be out longer -- much longer -- than the speculated eight weeks. Crisp would be a nice defensive replacement in the outfield as long as he's needed. And if Crawford will get the hang of things and Sweeney plays defense as he always has, the OF, which looks rocky now, could actually be a strength. It's also possible that Crisp could spell Crawford or Sweeney on occasion. And I'm assuming that he can still run. Nice for late inning pinch running. To top it, he's a great teammate. For me, the jury is still out on Ross even against lefties. On defense, he is creepy. Did the Sox already know that?
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Good points.  I havent seen one valid arguement against Crisp.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This is one silly thread.  The outfield is so-so because two key guys are out.  Last year it was pretty good only because Ellsbury had a career year, but everyone else was lousy or injured. 

Sweeney has been better than expected.  The other three are backups pushed into service.  It happens. 

Crawford's return could help a lot.  Or not.  We'll just have to wait and see.  Ditto Ellsbury. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]With the absence of Ellsbury, the team needs some solid production and defense from one guy.  None of the current players (Ross, Sweeney, certainly not McDonald, etc.) fit the bill. Fingers crossed that Crawford returns to his pre-2011 performance levels.  Otherwise, we can wait for Kalish, give Anderson a shot, or pursue the trade route. As always, things could get interesting around trade deadline time.
    Posted by drpjn[/QUOTE]

So far, Ross has 2 HR and 8 RBI, and Sweeney is hitting close to .400. The issue is Darnell McDonald.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : Asbsolutely not Ross is actually better in CF than he is in the corner I wanted Crisp in the off-season and was laughed at here.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

And I'm laughing at you now. Coco is hitting .156 with an OPS of .364. He has exactly 7 singles in 45 AB's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: The Outfield": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : 1) Unless he has a no trade clause, his opinion is irrelevant 2) Because Ellsbury is out for 1/2 the season 3) Because he's a professional and is willing to go where the team needs him 4) Because he's been around long enough to know that when you are an aging player on a non-competing team, getting traded is just "part of the business" 5) Because he still has a lot of friends on this team 7) Because he is still a great defensive outfielder 8) Because he has a better shot for a ring here than with Oakland 9) With two hurt outfielders and a platoon in right,  he can earn steady playing time 10) He's far better than anyone else we are going to get The only question is, what's the asking price? Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE] I'm guessing you got lost somewhere in the thread. I was clearly referring to this past off season, not now...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: The Outfield": I'm guessing you got lost somewhere in the thread. I was clearly referring to this past off season, not now...

My mistake.  He didnt make sense this past offseason.  He makes sense now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : And I'm laughing at you now. Coco is hitting .156 with an OPS of .364. He has exactly 7 singles in 45 AB's.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Pujols has 0 homeruns.  Justin Upton is batting .188.  Miggy Cabrera is batting .222.

Its april, dude. 45 AB's mean nothing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : Pujols has 0 homeruns.  Justin Upton is batting .188.  Miggy Cabrera is batting .222. Its april, dude. 45 AB's mean nothing.

Don't compare Coco Crisp to Albert Pujols, Justin Upton and Miguel Cabrera.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]This is one silly thread.  The outfield is so-so because two key guys are out.  Last year it was pretty good only because Ellsbury had a career year, but everyone else was lousy or injured.  Sweeney has been better than expected.  The other three are backups pushed into service.  It happens.  Crawford's return could help a lot.  Or not.  We'll just have to wait and see.  Ditto Ellsbury. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    Please explain why it's "silly" to talk about the outfield, as now constituted, no matter how it got that way, and to explore possibilities for improvement. No one is forcing you to play. You are perfectly free to wait and see. Off thread.
    BTW, Reddick was not "lousy" during his entire stint in RF. IIRC, his hot streak coincided with part of Boston's hot streak for four months. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : Pujols has 0 homeruns.  Justin Upton is batting .188.  Miggy Cabrera is batting .222. Its april, dude. 45 AB's mean nothing.

Exactly! And, the 26 by DMac mean even less.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : And I'm laughing at you now. Coco is hitting .156 with an OPS of .364. He has exactly 7 singles in 45 AB's.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

What's Crawford batting this year?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Crisp is just another run-of-the-mill ballplayer. We have too many of them already. That is the problem.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Crisp is just another run-of-the-mill ballplayer. We have too many of them already. That is the problem.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    Crisp is far from a run-of-the-mill defensive OFer. Right now, Boston could use some of that run-of-the-mill defense in CF. Or are you content to see Ross hold down the position? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The entire season last year could be summed up in a single image - Crawford's lame attempt to catch the final play of the season.  What a butcher he is out there.  Not to mention he has never met a cut-off man that he hasn't ignored.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : Exactly! And, the 26 by DMac mean even less.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    We know what the other three can and will do. Unfortunately, we know the same about McDonald. I know. I know. He hits lefties fairly well. But do you want him spelling Sweeney in RF against lefties? ( He won't spell Crawford in all 
    likelihood. ) Unless the Sox come up with a CFer, Ross will play center ( ouch ) and McDonald will platoon with Sweeney. ( Call in the fire brigade. ) That will be some outfield. Double that, if Crawford does not do much better in left than last year. Crawford+Ross+McDonald. Pitchers of the world, arise.  Then there's Youkilis at third and Aviles with limited range at SS ( though he's holding his own so far ), and no one would blame the pitchers for striking. 
    At the very least, Boston needs a real glove in the OF. For how long? Who knows? At the very least for two months, I bet. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : We know what the other three can and will do. Unfortunately, we know the same about McDonald. I know. I know. He hits lefties fairly well. But do you want him spelling Sweeney in RF against lefties? ( He won't spell Crawford in all  likelihood. ) Unless the Sox come up with a CFer, Ross will play center ( ouch ) and McDonald will platoon with Sweeney. ( Call in the fire brigade. ) That will be some outfield. Double that, if Crawford does not do much better in left than last year. Crawford+Ross+McDonald. Pitchers of the world, arise.  Then there's Youkilis at third and Aviles with limited range at SS ( though he's holding his own so far ), and no one would blame the pitchers for striking.  At the very least, Boston needs a real glove in the OF. For how long? Who knows? At the very least for two months, I bet. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

The question is what do you give up for that?  Obviously Crisp would be great in CF for the time being and would be a fantastic 4th OFer when Ells returns.

What do you want to give for him?  Prospects?  Someone on the roster?  Who has value to get Crisp or someone like him?  Don't forget kalish is coming back as well.  so then in a few months, craw, Ells and Kalish should be back, then do you regret giving something up for a two month rental?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : The question is what do you give up for that?  Obviously Crisp would be great in CF for the time being and would be a fantastic 4th OFer when Ells returns. What do you want to give for him?  Prospects?  Someone on the roster?  Who has value to get Crisp or someone like him?  Don't forget kalish is coming back as well.  so then in a few months, craw, Ells and Kalish should be back, then do you regret giving something up for a two month rental?
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]
    All good questions. There are many unknowns, like when Ellsbury and/or Kalish will be ready to play at full steam. 
    The only ones on the roster with enough value to land Crisp or someone like him in a trade are not going to be traded. Someone mentioned Lars Anderson and a mid-level pitching prospect. Or Lin? Or Hassan? Or.... If Cherington wants to find out, he knows Beane's number.
    I'm raising the question because I balk at the thought of even two months with the current crop of OF defenders, save for Sweeney.
    It's a bind, make no mistake about that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Red Sox outfield, status quo, is one of the highest paid outfields in all of baseball, and one of the worst outfields in all of baseball.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Linares is a terrific defender, and off to a torrid start in Portland.  I wouldn't mind seeing him get a start in CF.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Linares is a terrific defender, and off to a torrid start in Portland.  I wouldn't mind seeing him get a start in CF.  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    There's a fresh thought. Who knows, the way things are going it might happen.