The Outfield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: The Outfield

In Response to Re: The Outfield:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : All good questions. There are many unknowns, like when Ellsbury and/or Kalish will be ready to play at full steam.  The only ones on the roster with enough value to land Crisp or someone like him in a trade are not going to be traded. Someone mentioned Lars Anderson and a mid-level pitching prospect. Or Lin? Or Hassan? Or.... If Cherington wants to find out, he knows Beane's number. I'm raising the question because I balk at the thought of even two months with the current crop of OF defenders, save for Sweeney. It's a bind, make no mistake about that.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Hey Ex,

Due too the injuries to Crawford and Ellsbury. The OF situation is not unlike the current state of both our starting rotation and to a lessor degree the bullpen (Bailey). Injuries have forced the Sox to deploy players that would otherwise be serving uitlity or organizational depth roles. My guess is that if Ells & Craford were healthy then Ross and Sweeney would serve as a lefty righty platoon in RF with MacDonald and Repko serving as organizational depth with one or the other in AAA. If Kalish were healthy entering this season, who knows maybe Sweeney's not even on the roster...

In fairness to Cherington, not sure that he or any other GM could have built a roster deep enough to overcome the loss of 2/3rd's of your starting outfield and your closer in the last few weeks of spring training. Along with having some 400 innings and 26M in payroll tied up on the DL (Lackey & Matsusaka). Where would Texas be with Wilson, Lewis, Nathan, Hamilton and Cruz on the DL...Or the Yanks with Kuroda, Nova, Granderson, Swisher and Rivera?

Cleary the Sox need to add another Ofer to the mix due too, not only the loss of Ellsbury's glove but probably more important is his bat. Which will overtime have a negetive impact on the abiltiy to keep guys like Pedrioa and Gonzalez fresh.

The recent demotion of Melancon, along with the loss of Bailey perhaps almost as important is adding another arm to the pen too. My guess is that Cherington is already at work trying to do just that. The issue is, that given the date, most teams aren't in the sell mode. Thus the aquisition of impact players for prospects is difficult. In the end, even those teams that have already resiegned themselves to another season of wait til next year. Won't send up the white flag to thier fan bases in April.

I'm afraid that we all will need to have patience and allow the process to work itself out. The good news is that we still have 150 games to play...I'm pretty certain that today the goal for the team is to keep thier collective heads above water and get through what is also a tough stretch of games to open the season. While Cherington looks for a deal that serves both the short term needs with an eye on the end game...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

A deal for a young superstar bat should have been made long before now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]A deal for a young superstar bat should have been made long before now.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Any specific examples you'd like to share of a deal that could have been made?  By specific, I mean use names not "blocked prospects" or other subjective phrases.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield:
    A deal for a young superstar bat should have been made long before now.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Any specific examples you'd like to share of a deal that could have been made?  By specific, I mean use names not "blocked prospects" or other subjective phrases.

He was ranting for over a year about the silly Jake & Jed for Kemp dream. Don't get him started again.

The only blocked prospects we have are at 2B and 1B, but none of them would bring a top hitter. (Nobody will give much for Coyle and Lars.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hey Ex,

Due too the injuries to Crawford and Ellsbury. The OF situation is not unlike the current state of both our starting rotation and to a lessor degree the bullpen (Bailey). Injuries have forced the Sox to deploy players that would otherwise be serving uitlity or organizational depth roles. My guess is that if Ells & Craford were healthy then Ross and Sweeney would serve as a lefty righty platoon in RF with MacDonald and Repko serving as organizational depth with one or the other in AAA. If Kalish were healthy entering this season, who knows maybe Sweeney's not even on the roster...

In fairness to Cherington, not sure that he or any other GM could have built a roster deep enough to overcome the loss of 2/3rd's of your starting outfield and your closer in the last few weeks of spring training. Along with having some 400 innings and 26M in payroll tied up on the DL (Lackey & Matsusaka). Where would Texas be with Wilson, Lewis, Nathan, Hamilton and Cruz on the DL...Or the Yanks with Kuroda, Nova, Granderson, Swisher and Rivera?

The same thing happened after Jacoby and Cameron were hurt (along with Drew's decline) for most of 2010. Look what that got us... overpaying for CC.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

well if the PITCHERS weren't being teed off on on a consistent basis like they are..maybe the OF wouldn't be so taxed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : Hey Ex, Due too the injuries to Crawford and Ellsbury. The OF situation is not unlike the current state of both our starting rotation and to a lessor degree the bullpen (Bailey). Injuries have forced the Sox to deploy players that would otherwise be serving uitlity or organizational depth roles. My guess is that if Ells & Craford were healthy then Ross and Sweeney would serve as a lefty righty platoon in RF with MacDonald and Repko serving as organizational depth with one or the other in AAA. If Kalish were healthy entering this season, who knows maybe Sweeney's not even on the roster... In fairness to Cherington, not sure that he or any other GM could have built a roster deep enough to overcome the loss of 2/3rd's of your starting outfield and your closer in the last few weeks of spring training. Along with having some 400 innings and 26M in payroll tied up on the DL (Lackey & Matsusaka). Where would Texas be with Wilson, Lewis, Nathan, Hamilton and Cruz on the DL...Or the Yanks with Kuroda, Nova, Granderson, Swisher and Rivera? Cleary the Sox need to add another Ofer to the mix due too, not only the loss of Ellsbury's glove but probably more important is his bat. Which will overtime have a negetive impact on the abiltiy to keep guys like Pedrioa and Gonzalez fresh. The recent demotion of Melancon, along with the loss of Bailey perhaps almost as important is adding another arm to the pen too. My guess is that Cherington is already at work trying to do just that. The issue is, that given the date, most teams aren't in the sell mode. Thus the aquisition of impact players for prospects is difficult. In the end, even those teams that have already resiegned themselves to another season of wait til next year. Won't send up the white flag to thier fan bases in April. I'm afraid that we all will need to have patience and allow the process to work itself out. The good news is that we still have 150 games to play...I'm pretty certain that today the goal for the team is to keep thier collective heads above water and get through what is also a tough stretch of games to open the season. While Cherington looks for a deal that serves both the short term needs with an eye on the end game...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

But when Kalish is off of the DL while if Sweetney continue to hit well against rightie, I wouldnt be surprise that MAC will be release, Kalish would be demote to minor league while Sweetney remain on the roster.  Then we will see Ross, Sweetney, Ellsbury and Crawford on the roster.  Why I am saying that, that is because Sweetney have been hitting well, and I rather to have him over Kalish or MAC.

Anyway, why not to try playing Sweetney in the CF, and let him to play every day.  What is the difference that Repko cant hit at all while Sweetney sort of struggling against the lefties?  More Sweetney bat against lefties, he will get better.  Repko is not talent enough to play at the major league level which that was why he moved from one team to another!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sweeney is sub .600 (OPS) vs lefties career.  Yeah, he may improve, but I wouldn't count on .775+.

Ross has more experience in CF than RF or LF. He hasn't looked great in RF so far, so i wouldn't move 2 guys in hopes that it works.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : But when Kalish is off of the DL while if Sweetney continue to hit well against rightie, I wouldnt be surprise that MAC will be release, Kalish would be demote to minor league while Sweetney remain on the roster.  Then we will see Ross, Sweetney, Ellsbury and Crawford on the roster.  Why I am saying that, that is because Sweetney have been hitting well, and I rather to have him over Kalish or MAC. Anyway, why not to try playing Sweetney in the CF, and let him to play every day.  What is the difference that Repko cant hit at all while Sweetney sort of struggling against the lefties?  More Sweetney bat against lefties, he will get better.  Repko is not talent enough to play at the major league level which that was why he moved from one team to another!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

My point was not whether Sweeney was better than Kalish. Simply due to Kalish being on the DL with Drew a FA. The Sox were in a position of need and thus made the deal for Sweeny.

That said, I don't have any issues with aquisition of Sweeney and then the signing of Ross. Both of them can be and have proven to be "productive" players if used correctly. Both fit a need...Where I might differ is that we still aren't sure what we can get from Kalish if healthy. We do know that both Sweeney and Ross are best suited to backup-platoon roles. Kalish may well be too, but today we can't answer that question. Once he can get on the field and play a full season and get 500 at bats we'll have a better sample in which ti gaige his top end potentail. Kalish is clearly the most athletic of the three...From where I sit it would be worth allowing him (Kalish) to play everyday (once he's able) to see what we have...In the end he could prove to be a very productive everyday player...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We know what the other three can and will do. Unfortunately, we know the same about McDonald. I know. I know. He hits lefties fairly well. But do you want him spelling Sweeney in RF against lefties? 

Sorry I missed this question earlier. I have said many times that I would try very hard to avoid ever playing DMac in RF. I have said that when CC comes back, the DMac question will be front and center, but that now is not the time to send him elsewhere. Now, would I ever play DMac in RF vs a few lefties that Sweeney is even worse than his career sub .600 OPS against? Maybe, but not enough times to warrant a 25-man roster spot.

( He won't spell Crawford in all likelihood. ) 

This is still a bit unkown in my mind. Bobby V is the type of manager to just do the right thing no matter how counter-paradigm it is. DMac should play LF ve most LHPs instead of CC. It is obvious to me. CC is not a much better fielding LF'er defensively, and he'll liklely hit 100-150 points (OPS) lower than DMac. Tito never dreamed of platooning CC, but he should be. Tito never even batted CC 9th vs lefties, that's how strict he was to "the baseball code" of high-priced player treatment.

That being said, when CC comes back and is healthy, if Bobby V won't sit him vs LHPs, then by all means, I'd say send DMac to AAA, or cut DMac loose.

Unless the Sox come up with a CFer, Ross will play center ( ouch ) and McDonald will platoon with Sweeney. ( Call in the fire brigade. ) That will be some outfield. Double that, if Crawford does not do much better in left than last year. Crawford+Ross+McDonald. Pitchers of the world, arise.  Then there's Youkilis at third and Aviles with limited range at SS ( though he's holding his own so far ), and no one would blame the pitchers for striking. 

It's a horrible thought, isn't it?

At the very least, Boston needs a real glove in the OF. For how long? Who knows? At the very least for two months, I bet

Another option is to bring Iggy up and put Aviles in LF or RF. At least we gain defense at a more important position (SS).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The time for the Kemp deal was long before InEpstein had a clue that the prior Dodgers ownership would have dealt him. InEpstein bought Crawford with plans to deal Ellsbury. He'll most likely never admit that.

Spending 30 million a year on Ellsbury and Cawford, two overrated fly weights, is one of the most inept value and fit moves in Red Sox history. Obviously, Ellsbury won't be with the Red Sox for much longer. The shame is in taking Crawford's manifest bust and using 2011 Ellsbury as a pipe dream baby blanket.

Red Sox middle management makes deals from weakness, and lacks the confidence to deal players who are fresh off big years.

If Red Sox management was an investment advisor, they would advise to hold and buy securities at all-time highs and sell securities at all-time lows.

The result is the outfield disaster. 

I laughed when people were blowing up Cody Ross. Cody Ross is what happens when Crawford joins Ellsbury at a cost of 30 million a year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Why is it ridiculous to put Crawford in CF? We know he can catch the ball, and is by far the fastest of our available OFs.  What is it that we think he can't do - go back and to his right on a ball?   We don't have any better options right now, and if he's actually comfortable in the role, he can stay there until Ellsbury returns.  Given the fact that Ellsbury may not be with the team after next year, it would be a lost opportunity not to try Crawford there now to see what he can do when there are no better choices.

I think an OF of Ross, Crawford and Sweeney could be pretty good vs righties (maybe better if Kalish returns to full health).  McDonald, Crawford & Ross vs lefties is less fearsome, but our strength against lefties comes from the IF, especially when Lavarnway gets the call.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehobots. Show thehobots's posts

Here's what you do in the outfield: 1. Trade Beckett, Ells, and Aviles for Brian Daubach. Bam, there's CF. 2. Designate Ortiz and Ross for assignment. Call up Lars Anderson as utility IF. Then trade him for Derek Jeter. Bam, jeter plays RF. 3. LF- Carl Crawford's ghost. (bam?) 4. 4th OF- (drumroll).......Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Terry Francona!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehobots. Show thehobots's posts

In response to "Re: The Outfield": [QUOTE]Here's what you do in the outfield: 1. Trade Beckett, Ells, and Aviles for Brian Daubach. Bam, there's CF. 2. Designate Ortiz and Ross for assignment. Call up Lars Anderson as utility IF. Then trade him for Derek Jeter. Bam, jeter plays RF. 3. LF- Carl Crawford's ghost. (bam?) 4. 4th OF- (drumroll).......Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Terry Francona!!!! Posted by thehobots[/QUOTE] Oh, and if you were wondering what happens to Dmac- he takes over Beckett's spot in the rotation. Ryan Sweeney? Send him to espn to fill the Francona void. Fair deal. Also, trade Lester for Hanley, Megatron and Pettite. DFA Salty, call up Iglesias to catch.