The pitcher the sox need: Matt Garza

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

The pitcher the sox need: Matt Garza

When looking at the remaining pitching options out there, there is one name that stands out to me in terms of who would be the best fit for the sox. They tried to land gio gonzalez but the price got too high. Now, there are guys like kuroda and oswalt who are old but could be had on 1 year deals available via the free agent market. The sox need to get younger not older so signing guys like oswalt and especially kuroda makes little sense. The trade market is however is where the sox best options reside. I would pass on gavin floyd who has been mentioned here and there. Jair Jurgens is an interesting option and if the price was right i would probably take a shot him but a few things worry me about him, mainly his injury history. the sox have had enough injury problems with their pitching staff lately so what we really need is a reliable starter. So jurjens gets crossed off the list. The one guy who stands out to me the most and makes the most sense is matt garza of the chicago cubs. He is relatively young(28), reatively cheap, has pitched in the al east before and has playoff experience. His cost would not be as high as say gio gonzalez whom the sox coveted and when you add in the fact that the cubs owe us compensation for theo, garza to the red sox makes a lot of sense. One thing the sox have going for them and against them is that theo epstein knows the sox prospects very well. This helps the sox but also hurts them at the same time. Theo may feel more comfortable dealing garza to the sox because he knows what he would be getting from the prospects he would recieve in return. Basically, his level of comfort would be greater if he was to trade garza for red sox prospects who he knows a lot about as opposed to dealing him to another organization for prospects he would not have anywhere near as much familiarity with. This also hurts the sox in that theo knows who to ask for and there is no way the sox could try to get him to take guys they dont value extremely high. (ie no fleecing) I honestly think there is a deal to be made hear and one that makes sense for both teams. A matt garza deal between the sox and cubs solves multiple problems for both teams. It would solve the theo compensation dillema, give the sox a much needed solid starter, and give the cubs some much needed prospects. what do you guys think?    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: The pitcher the sox need: Matt Garza

Gavin Floyd and Matt Thornton would be two ideal people to trade for.

Gavin Floyd is use to pitching a lot of innings could be the # 4  and Matt Thornton would give us another tough lefty out of the pen.
    Aceves, Bard, Jenks, Melancon, Morales, Albers, Bowden and Hill in July.

I'm hoping the guy that gets traded away is Beckett--the Marlins, Nats, Phils, could use a guy who might be the difference maker, another experienced guy.

Texas and Houston might be trade partners that could part with an arm we could use. Lester is our #1 and Buch, when healthy, could be considered ahead of Beckett as #2.

At some point the Sox have to make a commitment to their own home grown starters like Doubrount and Wilson. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I agree, I think if were going to make a trade I want Garza but the problem is it's going to costs to much to get him.  The Yanks and Ranger's have better prospects and are not going to let us get him.  We need a workhorse not a superstar type.  We need to develope some of these kids or we will be a second division team in the near future. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Exactly who can the Sox use as prospects to get a pitcher like Garza ?    What does remain in the farm system better be kept or the system will be picked to the bone and set back at least 3-4 years.
    If Youkilis is dealt, Middlebrooks isn't ready yet and needs a full year at Pawtucket.
    Deal Ellsbury and who's the center fielder ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bunts. Show Bunts's posts

Unless there truly is an agreement in place that requires the cubs to fork over a significant prospect for Theo, then there's no way the sox have the horses to get garza. At least, not without decimating the farm. Frankly, can't think of who they were trying to peddle to the A's for Gio. Starting to wonder if they just need to bite the bullet on Madson and then collect as many project types as possible. Good Luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

NO TO GARZA!

His numbers were, by far, best against the Sox. he was AWFUL against the Yankees and most other good competition.

Don't let his success against the Sox fool all of you into believing he's actually a GOOD pitcher, he's VERY average at best, and it's going to take more than average prospects to get him.

For the love of all that's baseball, NO!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Roy Oswalt.  Give him a chance.  The guy is even willing to agree to a 1-yr contract to prove himself. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

1 year is a no-brainer. Normally we fear the 3+ year deal even for a proven starter like Oswalt. He is worth the risk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I should ad, like it said in the papers, the AL East is the LAST place Oswalt should want to prove himself. Alos do not forget he has leaned towards retirement in the past.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I can't stand to watch this guy pitch.  I've never seen a guy spit so much.  And he doesn't even chew - it's just phlem.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

IF Beckett, Lester, and Buccholz all stay healthy and give you 95 starts......watch out! thats all we need. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Garza signed means Beckett is a goner...Im all for it

Lackey Beckett toast
    Bard/Garza in 2012

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

the team only has 3 starting pitchers right now....yeah they may take a change with Bard/aceves in the rotation and or giving a Felix Doubront a chance, but they are not filling two slots like that.  If the Sox trade for Garza they keep Beckett.

I understand you dislike Beckett, but he is not going anywhere....just doesn't make sense. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: The pitcher the sox need: Matt Garza": [QUOTE]the team only has 3 starting pitchers right now....yeah they may take a change with Bard/aceves in the rotation and or giving a Felix Doubront a chance, but they are not filling two slots like that.  If the Sox trade for Garza they keep Beckett. I understand you dislike Beckett, but he is not going anywhere....just doesn't make sense.  Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE] Agreed...Trading Beckett doesn't make sense for team that needs to add pitching....don't see how Garza would be a "value" move either. The Cubs know they have arguably the best starter left on the market, they've seen the haul both Latos & Gonzalez netted, they know Sox prospects all too well & they dont "have" to move Garza. No thanks...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

When Matt Garza was with the Rays, he was a money pitcher in the AL East and did a nice job against the Red Sox.  I understand why the Rays would not have traded Garza to Rays' AL Rival in Boston.  However, if the Red Sox had had an opportunity to sign Matt Garza, rather than John Lackey, I presume Garza would have be very high on the Red Sox list. Now that Garza is in the National League, I expect the Cubs would consider trading Garza to the AL and since the Red Sox do not know exactly when Lackey returns from his TJ surgery, and DiceK will have when he returns even sooner in 2012 midseason and is unlikely to be re-signed by the Red Sox when his Contract expires, seems to me Garza could be a very good fit, and either Aceves or Bard could remain a reliever making Red Sox pitching stronger. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: The pitcher the sox need: Matt Garza:
    [QUOTE]the team only has 3 starting pitchers right now....yeah they may take a change with Bard/aceves in the rotation and or giving a Felix Doubront a chance, but they are not filling two slots like that.  If the Sox trade for Garza they keep Beckett. I understand you dislike Beckett, but he is not going anywhere....just doesn't make sense. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I don't understand the dislike.  He's fat, but so was Schilling.  Anyone willing and able to shut down the EE has to be appreciated.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I like Garza, but don't think he's a good fit.  We don't really need to pay for a #2 as much as a dependable innings eater.  I'm not in a mood to dig deep into the farm.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: The pitcher the sox need: Matt Garza": [QUOTE]I like Garza, but don't think he's a good fit.  We don't really need to pay for a #2 as much as a dependable innings eater.  I'm not in a mood to dig deep into the farm. Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE] Agree, Joe...The Cubs hold the cards with Garza. If they can't get someone to overpay, they can hang onto him and make him available at the deadline. They can always keep him as a piece to build around for future as well...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Red Sox really wanted Garza, but with Theo being involves in this deal, he is not going to make this easy for Boston!!!

Look at the compensation deal, it is not being straighten out between two Clubs.  

It is just a war between Theo against the Red Sox upper's management people!!!

Only way Boston can get him is to be part of the compensation deal.  But I am sure that Theo/Cubs GM also want top ten prospects.  

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

All this Garza talk, i'm having Lackey flashbacks.  I do think he is better than Lackey by far but I think the RS will end up giving #1 or 2 money, prospects or what ever for a #3 or 4 pitcher.  Lets go young, we have the offense to cover inexperience and move at the deadline if needed. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

maybe Nick Cafardo is on to something here.  He got the the Valentine thing right ... if I recall he was the lone writer drumming that up.  Maybe he's now the Dean of the Boston Baseball writers? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

If Garza is going to cost too much, grab Oswalt on the one yr. cheap deal and get the most from your top current 3 starters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Spit, Spit, Spit.  Spit, Spit, Spit.  Spit, Spit Spit.  Pitch

The Sox have Dice-K money coming free after next year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Go for Oswalt for one, even two years. Then use the kids to fill in the 5 hole. Doubront, Tazawa, Miller...or even Wake. Then you have Bard, Melancon and Aceves in your pen. It looks like the market for Madson is down to just two teams, so if they don't start a bidding war, he might be able to be had relatively cheap. That would be a very solid bullpen, with 4 pretty solid starters and one question mark with options to use. Then you could go and make a move for a right field platoon guy, or trade for a bigger bat there.

Sections
Shortcuts