The Private Group is here

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Re: The Private Group is here

In Response to Re: The Private Group is here:
    [QUOTE]How do you know if you have been approved?
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]

I thought the approval would generate an email, but apparently not. So I guess you have to revisit the site to see if you're approved (you are, BTW).

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/redsoxnation/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

[QUOTE]The screen format and appearance in the new forum leaves very much to be desired. Why can't this format in the main forum be moved to the new forum and give the inferior format to the trolls and infantile. Why should the best posters be given the worst software option. It appears that the Globe wants to reserve the best format for the least desirable.
    Posted by Soxchemistry[/QUOTE]

Hey, Sox -- We're using the forum company's out-of-the-box private group because most of our developers are assigned to two huge projects - building an entirely new BostonGlobe.com website, and implementing a new content management system for both the paper and Boston.com. There is no way I will be able to get development time to make the private group forum look the same as these forums for a few months. Rather than wait, I decided to try out the basic private group and see how it goes. Your feedback about the comment box, the text faintness, etc. is valuable -- I might be able to get incremental fixes like these made, so keep them coming.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks, Dottie, for doing this. But what keeps the usual knuckeheads from just creating an account there, too?  Just curious. 
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Hi soups, nobody can be a member unless I approve them. So they can request membership, but won't get access.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

[QUOTE]Dottie; I can't post anything on the new forum. The text box is appearing at the bottom of my screen and once I type a sentence or 2 the rest of the subject matter is out of view. In addition there is no send button or other means to post the message, at least that can be seen from the screen. Am I missing something?
    Posted by playball01[/QUOTE]

Hi playball ... that's an issue in Firefox. I checked IE, and it's okay. I filed a repair ticket about it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Once you're approved as a member, click on the Discussions tab near the bottom of the page, and then View All.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Folks, to answer a few of your questions:

/> I picked the name Red Sox Nation not to exclude fans of other teams, but just to signal that it's primarily a group of Sox fans, with intelligent and decent fans of other teams welcome.

/> Criteria for acceptance: The group is open to all of you who aren't troublemakers.

/> A rating system for users: Great idea, but we're constrained by the features offered by the vendor who supplies these forums. The other problem we'd run into is people reporting others whose comments are perfectly fine, but whose opinions they disagree with. That wouldn't be fair.

Let's give the new group a try and see how it goes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

The Private Group is here

Hi folks,

For those who want to escape those who are disrupting this forum, we have set up a private group for you called Red Sox Nation.

There you will find a private discussion board, a group blog, an events calendar to which we have added the Sox games in April and May (so far), your own photo gallery, and a link list that can contain any links you'd like, whether it's to Sox-related sites you like or your own Sox blog.

Might as well try it out and see how it goes.

Submit your request for membership here:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/redsoxnation/

Thanks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

[QUOTE]When I click on that link I don't see anything resembing a pathway into Redsoxnation? Is it just me. Has anyone found it?
    Posted by Natick-Ned[/QUOTE]

Ned, the widget may not have loaded by the time you left the page. Give it another try and give it time to load. Then click on the big blue request membership button.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

[QUOTE]Am I to infer from this that you actually can eradicate pests right here on this forum, but choose not to?
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

No, you shouldn't infer that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

[QUOTE]Dottie, any chance of doing the same thing on the C's board? 
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

Sure, Joel ... in fact, I talked to SlipperySam about it before he left the Celts board, but we weren't able to start private groups then. I just knew they were coming. Now that we have them, I think we'd like to iron out the bugs we're finding with Red Sox Nation before we do any more. But yes, I would like to offer it to fans of all the local teams as soon as we can.